• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if it were like 4/3 or 3/4. Seems too risky for most decks since just about every card can be important in a match up.

I'd find it hard to play that even if it were 3/2 for 2, let alone for 3cc.

edit:
maybe hunter... free beast... so they can double kill command =/

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'd find it hard to play that even if it were 3/2 for 2, let alone for 3cc.

If it were 2 mana, that would be INSANE. If the chicken is 1/1 for 0 mana, that would be like a 3/2 Razorfen Hunter at 2 mana if it grabs a minion (worst case), or a 3/2 with card draw in best case (lol 1/1 novice engineer). In any sort of aggro deck, that'd be HUGE. Hell even in arena that would be a huge tempo advantage.

Raab

Neo Member
Am I the only person who gets random disconnects from Hearthstone while playing ranked? Everything else tabbed works like a charm, but for some reason battlenet takes a random poop. On my end?

*new PC and internet doesn't drop on my xbox or ps.
Help if anyone else has this problem. Getting annoying almost winning then getting dropped.

If it were 2 mana, that would be INSANE. If the chicken is 1/1 for 0 mana, that would be like a 3/2 Razorfen Hunter at 2 mana if it grabs a minion (worst case), or a 3/2 with card draw in best case (lol 1/1 novice engineer). In any sort of aggro deck, that'd be HUGE. Hell even in arena that would be a huge tempo advantage.

Well you would still be sacrificing a card to play a... razorfen hunter heheh.

Tarazet

You must be one of those people who thinks tracking is a bad card too.

Also, razorfen hunter would be everywhere if it cost 2 mana.

Unstable Ghoul would be everywhere as soon as it started to get out of control, though I am retconning a little since that's a Naxx card.

Haunted

635509915600864456.png
what the fuuuuuu

ShinNL

Even if some of the new cards we've seen so far are super random, I still see potential uses for them. Except one.

635509716987321881.png

Unless I'm misunderstanding how this works, why the hell would you use this? Maybe if it made the opponent draw I could see a use.
Looks fine for a Bloodlust minion flood deck. Just a bunch of low cost minions that summon more minions and this helps with cycling and let's you keep your Bloodlust (and help you get it faster while not losing tempo). Also doesn't eat up Spirit Wolves.

This card is in fact, stronger than Razorfen Hunter in a minion flood deck (i have a deck on Hearthstone named that way, with Razorfen Hunters in it).

Minsc

Gold Member
Wonder if there's a chance it could "accidentally" attack a stealthed minion like a Gadgetzan or if the target has to be valid.

I'd refer to how misdirection works with taunt and stealth. My guess is if the random target part triggers, the weapon could attack through a taunt and hit a stealthed minion.

gutshot

Wonder if there's a chance it could "accidentally" attack a stealthed minion like a Gadgetzan or if the target has to be valid.

Usually any sort of random effect has a chance to attack stealthed minions. Flamecannon and Bomb Lobber, in particular, seem like direct counters to a stealthed Gadgetzan.

CoolOff

Usually any sort of random effect has a chance to attack stealthed minions. Flamecannon and Bomb Lobber, in particular, seem like direct counters to a stealthed Gadgetzan.

Which probably won't be useful from a ladder point of view with a wide variety of decks facing you, but it might make it easier to tailor tournament-decks to counter specific archetypes even more.

Miracle rogue and handlock

I beat a Handlock last night with my Priest deck. I had an Auchenai Soulpriest, a Sludgebelcher, and an Earthen Ring Farseer on the board, he had a Sylvanas and 2 health left. He traded Sylvanas for the Sludge Belcher and stole my Soulpriest. He then played a free Molten Giant and then Syphon Soul on my Farseer, which killed him because the Soulpriest changed the healing power into 3 damage. I laughed for a good 5 minutes after that.

I was wondering how Blingtron 3000 would work with Savagery. If you got something like an Arcanite Reaper, Gorehowl, or Truesilver Champion, you could remove up to three minions with 2X Savagery and a swing from the weapon.

CoolOff

What's the card that lets you play a giant for free? I saw it happen a lot in the zillion hours of HS I watched this weekend.

184px-Molten_Giant%2894%29_Gold.png

184px-Sea_Giant%28614%29_Gold.png

Both of these can be played for free given the right circumstances. You most likely saw Handlocks decreasing their own health low enough to play Molten Giants for 0, which happens as soon as you're at 10 or lower.

What's the card that lets you play a giant for free? I saw it happen a lot in the zillion hours of HS I watched this weekend.

As CoolOff has said, they're playing Giants. Just wanted to add, if you're ever playing a hand lock, you always want to keep them around 15-17 health before you finish them. That extra mana can really mess them up with Defender / Sunfury.

Oscar

Not sure how I feel about this new set of cards. Super RNG.

Haven't played since the last wing of Naxx, how are Control Warriors these days? Still middle of the pack?

kirblar

Not having choice of X-Pack as Arena rewards is a game-killer long term because it increases barrier to entry exponentially. I don't understand how they don't see this.

Not having choice of X-Pack as Arena rewards is a game-killer long term because it increases barrier to entry exponentially. I don't understand how they don't see this.

Maybe old packs will be discounted at some point. I'm sure they're considering other options besides just swapping out Arena rewards.

Not sure how I feel about this new set of cards. Super RNG.

Haven't played since the last wing of Naxx, how are Control Warriors these days? Still middle of the pack?

apparently they've shown off the mostly random cards so the rest should be relatively tame in comparison.

imBask

Banned

wait what do you mean, I haven't read anything in the past 2 days. we won't any of the new packs in arena?!

kirblar

wait what do you mean, I haven't read anything in the past 2 days. we won't any of the new packs in arena?!
Arena is set to convert to ONLY new packs as rewards.

This is a disastrous decision if it goes live. There are far fewer cards in the expansion and it will lock new players out.

imBask

Banned

This is a disastrous decision if it goes live. There are far fewer cards in the expansion and it will lock new players out.

oh, well it's better than only getting old packs, but yeah I agree. we should either have the choice or just randomize it

gutshot

I don't get it either. They are saying they don't want to add any new currency (like pack vouchers) and some sort of option would require too many UI changes, but I really don't think so. You get packs from arena and the shop as usual, it shows up on the main menu with the little number on the Open Packs button, just like usual. Then all they'd need to do is add a lever to the pack opening scree with a message that pops up the first time you visit the screen saying something like "The Gnomes have cooked up a way to turn your regular packs into Goblins vs Gnomes packs! Just flip the switch and open your pack to get all-new Goblins vs. Gnomes cards!"

Boom. Done.

Minsc

Gold Member

The new cards should be better overall, so more desirable. You can still buy the older cards with gold or craft them with dust, and new players will need both sets... I don't see how that locks them out, it makes more sense to get the newer cards first anyway, as they're going to be more relevant.

I imagine the highlights of this expansion will only be matched by a few cards from the original set. For example, a rare in G&G gets you a 5 mana 5/4 minion that deals 6 damage to opponent minions (when you cast it on an empty board on your side). That's going to be a game changer I think. It kills a turn 4 Yeti on a clear board you've been fighting over, or an entire board of say a 3/1 (divine shield), 1/1 (divine shield), 3/2 while getting you a 5/4 in the process. It is begging to be combo'd with equality too.

If the power creep is real, the new set of cards will be more desirable, then you can use dust to make up a few select cards from the original set you want.

Pretty sure it's gonna be for a limited time and then switch to mixed packs, anything else is way too dumb.

Or it could just switch to the next ~120 card expansion when it releases.

So I just played a game with my Cult Master Zoo versus a Handlock.

Dude had a Mountain Giant and two taunted Molten Giants on the field turn 5, I believe.

I still won. :D

I had a Cult Master on field, so I traded a couple of my low value minions into one of the taunted giants, drew into Power Overwhelmings and killed everything. :D

Man I wish I recorded that match, it was too fun. :D

gutshot

The new cards should be better overall, so more desirable. You can still buy the older cards with gold or craft them with dust, and new players will need both sets... I don't see how that locks them out, it makes more sense to get the newer cards first anyway, as they're going to be more relevant.

I imagine the highlights of this expansion will only be matched by a few cards from the original set. For example, a rare in G&G gets you a 5 mana 5/4 minion that deals 6 damage to opponent minions (when you cast it on an empty board on your side). That's going to be a game changer I think. It kills a turn 4 Yeti on a clear board you've been fighting over, or an entire board of say a 3/1 (divine shield), 1/1 (divine shield), 3/2 while getting you a 5/4 in the process. It is begging to be combo'd with equality too.

If the power creep is real, the new set of cards will be more desirable, then you can use dust to make up a few select cards from the original set you want.

Or it could just switch to the next ~120 card expansion when it releases.

Or it could just be a blood imp on steroids that does 6 damage to your face.

Minsc

Gold Member
Or it could just be a blood imp on steroids that does 6 damage to your face.

Oh my apologies then, I misread it to be characters as minions, yeah, that brings it down from vastly OP to much riskier. Still, there will be Madder Bombers who take down undamaged Yetis, but I probably just will never get to see one myself (unless it's played against me).

kirblar

Here's the issue: You should not have to crack packs. Period. Arena is 100000% better than spending money directly on packs, and they're about to make that not the case for players. (As GvG will be "completed" and start going right to dust relatively quickly.) They're about to blow open their entire model on the F2P side.

If they do that sort of power creep, they'll kill their game off long-term.

I really don't think it is as bad as you're making it sound. After a short while in the game most of your packs even with the classic set is just dust anyway. Pretty fast new players are dusting most of their packs regardless of new or old sets.

If the average dust of the new set is higher than the old set, it'll probably balance out. We'll have to wait and see how this turns out. Even in the worst case scenario doing arena is still faster for new players to build up a collection, regardless of which pack they get. Plus as a starting player, you shouldn't be going for every card, not until you've really fleshed out a couple strong decks.

Minsc

Gold Member
Here's the issue: You should not have to crack packs. Period. Arena is 100000% better than spending money directly on packs, and they're about to make that not the case for players. (As GvG will be "completed" and start going right to dust relatively quickly.) They're about to blow open their entire model on the F2P side.

If they do that sort of power creep, they'll kill their game off long-term.

I do agree it will get stale fast, and probably makes sense to have it a choice, but I guess we should be good for a month or two before the pressure starts to build up. 120+ cards with ~100 or so you need to collect 2 of, will take a fair number of arena runs / packs to get to the point where a pack is most often all dupes / 40 dust, like players see now with the original expert set.

Thinking more, it does seem unlikely they'd be able to last 6+ months without changing the rewards away from G&G, and I agree it would make things more difficult... though new players probably won't be insanely profitable at Arena and shouldn't suffer too badly buying packs at 100g instead for a while, and actually if they just did a bulk purchase of ~$50 in expert packs to get started it'd really help too. It's just the entirely F2P ones that will have the toughest time.

kirblar

I really don't think it is as bad as you're making it sound. After a short while in the game most of your packs even with the classic set is just dust anyway. Pretty fast new players are dusting most of their packs regardless of new or old sets.

If the average dust of the new set is higher than the old set, it'll probably balance out. We'll have to wait and see how this turns out. Even in the worst case scenario doing arena is still faster for new players to build up a collection, regardless of which pack they get. Plus as a starting player, you shouldn't be going for every card, not until you've really fleshed out a couple strong decks.
Think long term if this pattern continues. It radically increases the barrier to entry to new players.

ShinNL

I really wanted a strong mid-range Warlock and I think I finally found a good one that still uses the Warlock hero power in good synergy.

See here, my divine spellpower Warlock! Having some really nice results with it.

imBask

Banned
I really wanted a strong mid-range Warlock and I think I finally found a good one that still uses the Warlock hero power in good synergy.

See here, my divine spellpower Warlock! Having some really nice results with it.

that's not a zoo or a handlock, GET OUT OF HERE

but seriously I like it, I love gimmicky decks

It makes it near-impossible to do so without spending money.

How? Competitive decks still only take 30 cards...

The dust on decks is still probably gonna be about the same too. You really don't need every card from the original set, probably a small portion if we're seeing cards like shrinkmaster in the new set.

kirblar

How? Competitive decks still only take 30 cards...

The dust on decks is still probably gonna be about the same too. You really don't need every card from the original set, probably a small portion if we're seeing cards like shrinkmaster in the new set.
You're vastly underestimating how much dust is saved from people busting rares/commons hard-way out of packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom