• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
So I feel like I know the answer but Imma post anyway.

I'm getting back into the game and when I played before I splurged and got a shitload of cards so now I'm at this weird point where I have too many cards to like…learn?

And using ArenaBuilder (or whatever) to build my Arena decks is a super fast way to learn nothing about the game.

I also feel like NetDecking is the same thing. Helpful to win but not teaching me anything.

Any suggestions on getting better? Just straight up reading through all the cards?

One caveat, I'm at 24 now and I GOT to get to 20 by End Of Season for that card back.

:D

Here's my rule of thumb: Arena to learn, Casual to grind, Constructed to master.

FeD.nL

Ugh the card draws are against me today

First I play a miracle rogue mirror: he has both his Auctioneers in his first 15 I don't see mine when i'm 20 deep

I switch to warrior, win my first game second game against zoo was over by turn 6 > no weapons or any removal for that matter

Switch to priest face a handlock who has all his giants in his first 15, I manage to deal with and gaining some board presence but ofcourse when I play my rag he has also his BGH and Faceless in hand, god fucking damnit.

Volimar

I'm growing to love control warrior, but I don't have the expert cards needed to keep it competitive higher than rank 15...

Mad scientist... such a broken card. I don't see why blizzard thinks drawing and then playing a secret for free, even at random, is even remotely balanced.

The thing that makes it dumb is because there are not actually many recruiter or searcher cards in HS at all. And that only Hunters can get rid of secrets. And the fact that people don't run bad secrets, so it's never bad. It even means that secret is no longer in your deck, so you don't have to worry about drawing into it when you want something else later.

It'd be a bit fairer if it either placed the trap in your hand on death, or the trap it summoned was totally random, not dependent on what you had in your deck.

It's an insanely good tempo card, bascially.

The thing that makes it dumb is because there are not actually many recruiter or searcher cards in HS at all. And that only Hunters can get rid of secrets. And the fact that people don't run bad secrets, so it's never bad. It even means that secret is no longer in your deck, so you don't have to worry about drawing into it when you want something else later.

It'd be a bit fairer if it either placed the trap in your hand on death, or the trap it summoned was totally random, not dependent on what you had in your deck.

It's an insanely good tempo card, bascially.

It is simply the best tempo card in the game imo.

Thins your deck while also playing a card... for no cost. It's like they are playing 4+ mana worth of cards just for 2 mana. It even thins out their deck so they get to burn cards like kill command and weapons faster... and even setting up for eaglehorn bow extra value and when they get freeze trap they are giving you a huge negative tempo swing... Its like... insane.

I still recall how captain's parrot used to be a 1/2 for 2 but apparenlty that needed to be nerfed to 1/1 for 2, and all that does is draw you a pirate... not play it.

oh btw
i got old murk-eye last night after finally scoring a war leader

do all the other minion types have unlockables like this? it was such a lovely surprise!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
oh btw
i got old murk-eye last night after finally scoring a war leader

do all the other minion types have unlockables like this? it was such a lovely surprise!

Just murlocs and pirates. If you get all the pirates, you get Captain's Parrot. Which is... not great.

Anyone know if they have any plans to add more deck slots?

they actually get asked this a lot and it seems like it's something they want to do but they think their limited resources are spent better elsewhere.

and the new expansion, spectator mode, android/mobile clients are all definitely things i want to see before more deck slots.

It is simply the best tempo card in the game imo.

Thins your deck while also playing a card... for no cost. It's like they are playing 4+ mana worth of cards just for 2 mana. It even thins out their deck so they get to burn cards like kill command and weapons faster... and even setting up for eaglehorn bow extra value and when they get freeze trap they are giving you a huge negative tempo swing... Its like... insane.

I still recall how captain's parrot used to be a 1/2 for 2 but apparenlty that needed to be nerfed to 1/1 for 2, and all that does is draw you a pirate... not play it.

Webspinner gives me a Captain's Parrot like 45% of the time. I need to start putting some pirates in my Hunter deck.

Anyone know if they have any plans to add more deck slots?

Saw this quote about it on Hearthpwn that came from a recent PCGamer audio interview:

So, this is something we've been talking about a lot as a team, its not that we're ignoring feedback, we've been debating a lot about it. In some ways its a little bit like bag space in role playing games where no matter how much you have, you're going to always want more. We're kind of in the same mindspace [as before], but we really understand people feel passionate about. It's definitely something we're actively talking about in the team, but its a tricky one. We just want players to understand we haven't made up our minds, but it's really not a straight forward answer. There's a lot to consider here.

Here's my rule of thumb: Arena to learn, Casual to grind, Constructed to master.

Could you elaborate on "casual to grind"? What do you get from casual?

Some would argue that arena is better to grind than constructed if you get enough gold to be self sufficient for recurring runs. There's a bit of a curve in learning what to draft and what not and there's still RNG.

I will say though, from my experience lately. The line between casual and ranked constructed is a bit blurred at the moment from the decks you might run up against. I would honestly say that if you can't do arena grinding than ranked constructed is a better way to grind than casual if you're rank 10+. With the game being out this long if you run casual you're going to run into peeps with decks just as fleshed out as players in ranked, maybe even more so depending on your rank lvl.

ShinNL

Some would argue that arena is better to grind than constructed if you get enough gold to be self sufficient for recurring runs. There's a bit of a curve in learning what to draft and what not and there's still RNG.

I will say though, from my experience lately. The line between casual and ranked constructed is a bit blurred at the moment from the decks you might run up against. I would honestly say that if you can't do arena grinding than ranked constructed is a better way to grind than casual if you're rank 10+. With the game being out this long if you run casual you're going to run into peeps with decks just as fleshed out as players in ranked, maybe even more so depending on your rank lvl.
Casual depends on your own winrates. Last weekend I played a game on a friend's account and saw something I haven't seen forever: a Paladin playing a Bloodfen Raptor. My mind was blown, because I didn't realize that my casual MMR is so ridiculously high that I never face people without all the cards they need. I guess I really should start playing some ranked, because my friends thought it was weird that I don't have a single Golden portrait.

SteveWD40

Everytime I play casual I run into people with the Legendary card back and the cutting edge meta deck.

I am usually around rank 10 so that's the easier place for me to do dailys, that or arena.

Atuin

Saw this quote about it on Hearthpwn that came from a recent PCGamer audio interview: So, this is something we've been talking about a lot as a team, its not that we're ignoring feedback, we've been debating a lot about it. In some ways its a little bit like bag space in role playing games where no matter how much you have, you're going to always want more. We're kind of in the same mindspace [as before], but we really understand people feel passionate about. It's definitely something we're actively talking about in the team, but its a tricky one. We just want players to understand we haven't made up our minds, but it's really not a straight forward answer. There's a lot to consider here.

What's there to complain about adding page 2 of deck slots? They could just do like Payday 2 did with the mask slots and raise the space from 9>18>36>72 (doubling the space roughly once every 6 months). Sure, some few people suggest that they could also increase the amount of weapon slots from 36 to 72, but I've never heard a single "oh this freedom to have more stuff confuses me, this is a bad thing"

I honestly don't get the idea behind "The house is on fire but no need to extinguish it, soon someone will start complaining about the burned furniture"

gutshot

Webspinner gives me a Captain's Parrot like 45% of the time. I need to start putting some pirates in my Hunter deck.

Yesterday, a mage flamestriked my board with both my Webspinners out and I got double Captain's Parrot. The dream! Played them both on my turn and then threatened, natch.

What's there to complain about adding page 2 of deck slots? They could just do like Payday 2 did with the mask slots and raise the space from 9>18>36>72 (doubling the space roughly once every 6 months). Sure, some few people suggest that they could also increase the amount of weapon slots from 36 to 72, but I've never heard a single "oh this freedom to have more stuff confuses me, this is a bad thing"

I honestly don't get the idea behind "The house is on fire but no need to extinguish it, soon someone will start complaining about the burned furniture"

I'd say they should just make them purchasable. If you want them you can have them. If you don't care or having lots of available deck slots is just going to cause you to make a bunch of decks you're going to get mixed up about, you don't need to get them. Plus Blizz gets another money sink. Everybody wins.

I'm just glad to see they're still planning on doing alt (cosmetic) heroes. Anduin and Grommash emotes drive me up the wall. They're so smug.

Special C

Yesterday, a mage flamestriked my board with both my Webspinners out and I got double Captain's Parrot. The dream! Played them both on my turn and then threatened, natch.

I once played 2 arena games back to back with Webspinners in my opening hand. First game I Got an Angry Chicken and a Hungry Crab. Second game I got a Maexxna and King Krush.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Giff Maiev Legendary!

Maiev Shadowsong
Deathrattle: Summon a 5/5 Avatar of Vengeance.
6/4

Whenever a minion dies, summon a 2/1 Spirit of Vengeance.
Deathrattle: Destroy all friendly Spirits of Vengeance
4/6

Spirit of Vengeance
Immune
2/1

caesar

Banned
J_1ec3iF2i35kdJWbP7UN7tcyLK6LSd2RY8Lg6CKE9nbshAOkP4eoCtQvn3nsrrib2uzbjFTi5WjpLrdDbd5Cb9KSZaA8VUAF_8Tr0QjTGJGz7b7I7-Nq17ypql5dhwg6IX89yU=w223-h310-nc

Malganis card text pls ;_;

Why would anyone play this card rofl.

I had the opposite reaction. Who wouldn't want to play this card? It is like a earthen ring farseer that heals more, and has a chance to heal even more.

Granted, it trades worse than a 3/4 and requires a secret out...

Maybe this means there will be more secrets added in the set?

edit:
I wouldn't mind seeing more heal efficient neutral cards. It really cuts off a lot of decks from being good vs aggro since they can just easily race you and you can't do shit if they're ahead in damage, ie. partially why hunter is so damn strong vs non-healing classes atm. GRANTED hunter have flare, but still... more options for healing is pretty good imo.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
At first glance it looks good in freeze mage. Get ice block up which short of flare can't be dealt with and then place this and it gains you at least 4 life, possibly more.

edit: for example with ice block out you freeze + play this guy and your opponent has to spend spells killing a 3 drop or you gain just ridiculous amounts of life. And if the spell used to kill it is, say, swipe, then it still kind of gained you 7 life and removed a card from your opponent's hand.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hunter doesn't care about their own health, only your health. Freeze Mage doesn't care about Health until they're at 1 and they're on their last Ice Block. Control Paladin... doesn't need anymore healing than they already have, and they have better things to spend 3 mana on.

EDIT: I can see this giving Freeze Mages a better shot against Hunter but, really, it's just awkward.

At first glance it looks good in freeze mage. Get ice block up which short of flair can't be dealt with and then place this and it gains you at least 4 life, possibly more.

Yeah. I hate freeze mage though so fuck freeze mage using this card lol.

It is basically 8 hp from 1 card since you'll definitely need to remove it.

gutshot

I had the opposite reaction. Who wouldn't want to play this card? It is like a earthen ring farseer that heals more, and has a chance to heal even more.

Granted, it trades worse than a 3/4 and requires a secret out...

Maybe this means there will be more secrets added in the set?

ERF has the flexibility to heal your own minions instead though, which is generally preferable to healing your hero anyway.

But yeah, I think there will be more secrets coming. The devs also hinted that there will be neutral cards that counter secrets.

Hunter doesn't care about their own health, only your health. Freeze Mage doesn't care about Health until they're at 1 and they're on their last Ice Block. Control Paladin... doesn't need anymore healing than they already have, and they have better things to spend 3 mana on.

Well sure, talking about how this specific card fits into specific deck archetypes that exist now I can see why this card is totally underwhelming. Except for freezer mage where stalling is the name of the game and this does that well, I agree with you. Aggro hunter probably doesn't care for this card. But there is the possibility of a more midrange/controlish hunter that does like this card (same with paladin I believe).

ERF has the flexibility to heal your own minions instead though, which is generally preferable to healing your hero anyway.

But yeah, I think there will be more secrets coming. The devs also hinted that there will be neutral cards that counter secrets.

Yeah I generally use healing on minions when possible. However in a lot of situations it doesn't make a lot of sense to heal up a minion who just traded because bigger minions are gonna hit the field and it is just gonna die anyway. In a face race, which is what a lot of aggro decks do best, every point of healing reallly matters. I had a match last night vs aggro hunter where I literally won because I was at 3 hp when explosive trap went off and that was because I used ERF on my face instead of healing up a minion who died next turn regardless. I think a card like this could literally win you the game if it gets 2 heals off or 1 heal + trade/absorb damage, vs aggro. In control vs control, not so important early game where you won't get the heals often, but in games that go to fatigue every point of damage/healing does tend to matter.

slayn

needs to show more effort.

EDIT: I can see this giving Freeze Mages a better shot against Hunter but, really, it's just awkward.
Of course freeze mage cares about their health. As a freeze mage your health acts as your time limit to draw into your damage. Cards that extend this time limit are good. Now whether it's good enough to cut other cards in the deck for this I'm uncertain as I don't play freeze mage but it looks playable enough to experiment with.

ERF is obviously a better general purpose card. This is a niche card that is more powerful than ERF within it's niche though.

While I highly doubt it, there could be traps for new classes. There are plenty of Shaman totems that haven't been explored and come to think about it, there are no Rogue opener sells either. For those out of the know, an opener is a strong attack / ability a Rogue can only use while in stealth.

Also, while it's very possible it won't be good, we're not thinking about this card with the knowledge of all 119 others.

While I highly doubt it, there could be traps for new classes. There are plenty of Shaman totems that haven't been explored and come to think about it, there are no Rogue opener sells either. For those out of the know, an opener is a strong attack / ability a Rogue can only use while in stealth.

Also, while it's very possible it won't be good, we're not thinking about this card with the knowledge of all 119 others.

Come to think of it, I would love 0-1 mana secrets for rogues. Could it make miracle more of a hassle to deal with? Maybe. Depends on the secrets and whether they are good for that kind of combination. But it could be great for a more midrange/minion based decks to help combos go off.

Just some creative thinking:

stun = cannot attack for a turn and takes 1 additional damage from all sources (same time duration as freeze)

cheap shot
When a minion attacks a character, deal 3 damage and stun. (probably OP lol)

Garrotte
When a minion is summoned, silence it and deal 1 damage per turn at the end of your turn. (on going damage that lasts til silenced, weaker vs big minions strong vs small minions)

Evasion
When a spell is targetted at the Rogue, redirect it to a random minion.

And a non-trap spell

Recuperate 3 mana
Draw 2 cards Combo: restore 2 hp per card played this turn

I had no thoughts towards balancing when I wrote these. I was thinking towards value per card rather than value per mana. The secrets are more focused towards when a minion is played, cause rogues are all stealthy and I think that suits them. So you could have a rough time figuring out whether you're playing into a cheap shot or a garrotte.

Tyrande should be alt hunter. Alt priest should be Volgin. We don't have any troll heroes.

I thought Vol'jin was more of a hunter? And Tyrande seems like more of a priest. Isn't she officially Headpriestess of Elune or something?

I'm just glad they're doing characters like Bolvar and Mal'ganis. I thought it was going to be all mechs, gnomes, and goblins. That would have been boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom