• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using a variation of an old deck of mine to some success against aggro.

Surprise, its
a rogue deck

The deck relies on early removal, plus getting a lot of value of single minions being on the board. Haunted creeper and spectral knight are real stars of the deck. I have abusive sergeant and dark iron dwarf to help them trade up, plus earthen ring farseer to heal back up. 6 hp of spectral knight is pretty resilient. Sunfury protector to taunt it up. Then I have assassin's blade 2x to really put out a lot of pressure. And a health mix of rogue cards to make this all work.

It probably gets its ass kicked by control warrior, though I suspect it is good against priest... with the right cards I think it can beat handlock, but not consistently. I mean... it has black knight but that is almost never enough vs that deck unless they make mistakes.

Haunted

I had some great thoughts on the Illuminator, but people basically already listed them in the posts following. :(

Maybe it has a place in a Secret Mage deck, but even so, some cards are so bad they don't even get a place in themed decks even if they have fitting synergy (poor secretkeeper).

JesseZao

cQfsyMw.png

Meh.

If rogue's ever get secrets that activate on attacking or targeting their minions, it's OP.

Guess this confirms that's never happening.

I could see control pallies using it.

JesseZao

Why do you think it'll be OP under those circumstances?

Could be a reason to play master of disguise and shadowstep

Depending on the class, it could be hard to clear. There is that lobberthough.

I hope the android tablet release isn't that much later than the expansion release. Going to be fun to experiment on the go with the new crazy cards.

br3wnor

I never do well in Arena (Play few times a week for months, average 3-4 wins usually and the highest I've had is 7 one time) and I think a lot of it is trying to follow the draft tier lists. This makes me usually pick Pally, Mage, Druid or Rogue. I never pick Warrior since it's on the bottom of draft lists I look at, but I stopped playing Arena for a few weeks and have really been focusing on Warrior in constructed. So today I jumped back into Arena and picked Warrior over Pally.

Here's the deck:
OUxTi5F.png

2Igivpk.png

I'm 4-0 right now and have absolutely CRUSHED it so far. Getting down the Warsong + 2 berserkers and then pinging the Death's Bite death rattle have won me 2 games and a variation of that that plus the Gorehowl has won me another 2. Beat Mage, Rogue, Hunter and Shaman. Feeling good about this Arena run.

Death's bite and fiery WIN axe are great cards. Gorehowl is also something that works out in arena matches. I think based on those 3 cards alone, you have a good draft. Throw in arcanite reaper and BAM. Great deck imo.

I dunno why a list would rate warrior low in arena, I frankly haven't played arena much for months, but when warrior shines in arena I think it is because of the quality of their weapons.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I thought Vol'jin was more of a hunter? And Tyrande seems like more of a priest. Isn't she officially Headpriestess of Elune or something?

Vol'jin is a shadow hunter, which is like a voodoo shadow priest.

In Warcraft 3, Tyrande used a bow and rode a tiger. She's kinda both hunter and priest.

Brofist

Death's bite and fiery WIN axe are great cards. Gorehowl is also something that works out in arena matches. I think based on those 3 cards alone, you have a good draft. Throw in arcanite reaper and BAM. Great deck imo.

I dunno why a list would rate warrior low in arena, I frankly haven't played arena much for months, but when warrior shines in arena I think it is because of the quality of their weapons.

Totally agree. I've been losing more matches against warriors with weapons than mages. And that's with having run quite a few 12 win arenas recently.

ZealousD

Warrior weapons are extremely good, but otherwise most warrior commons are on the weaker side and they don't have any AOE clears except Brawl, which is epic quality. Plus the hero power is unremarkable for arena.

br3wnor

It's funny, I already had drafted the 3/2 axe, Death's Bite and Gorehowl and came down to drafting a Beserker or an Arcanite Reaper. Should have picked the reaper but it hasn't bitten me in the ass yet.

kirblar

Warrior weapons are extremely good, but otherwise most warrior commons are on the weaker side and they don't have any AOE clears except Brawl, which is epic quality. Plus the hero power is unremarkable for arena.
Brawl isn't even really a good card in Arena - you should usually grab a different legendary.

Minsc

Gold Member
New favorite (non-single turn) Shaman combo, Al'Akir lives a turn. Next round, drop FTT, Faceless Al'Akir, and reincarnate. 30 damage (5/5 x 6 attacks), 9 mana. :)

As if a Faceless of some beefy legendary your opponent just played in to Hex isn't enough reason to run Faceless in Shaman, never really considered Faceless Al'Akir... and I even got to use my other reincarnate on Slyvanas earlier in the match (stealing a decently buffed Loatheb). About time the stars aligned lol.

I wonder if faceless would copy temporary buffs too, like the rockbiter bonus, been a while since i've played that card, if so that's not too bad, you'd end up with 2 9/5 windfury charge minions, assuming the first Al'Akir could live a round.

I wonder if faceless would copy temporary buffs too, like the rockbiter bonus, been a while since i've played that card, if so that's not too bad, you'd end up with 2 9/5 windfury charge minions, assuming the first Al'Akir could live a round.

Faceless Manipulators do copy temp buffs, pretty much takes a snapshot of the minion and makes a copy. What's really interesting is when you play a Faceless against a Mage with Mirror Entity up, it'll copy what the Faceless turned into, not the Faceless itself, so be careful with that.

I know you don't like the card, but if you use Ancestral Spirit on Al'Akir, he gets to charge again. It's the main reason I run Baron Rivendare in my Shaman deck.

Skux

I was playing Crusher Shaman against a Rogue Mill deck with Kidnapper. The board was empty and I played Earth Elemental and cast Resurrection on it.

My opponent played a card, then played Kidnapper and used its combo on my EE. I thought it would act like Sap and send my EE back to my hand. It did, but it also triggered Resurrection, leaving a plain EE on the board against the Kidnapper.

Is this intentional? Isn't Kidnapper supposed to act like Sap and not trigger deathrattles?

johnsmith

remember me
Was your hand full? Sap/kidnapper/vanish will destroy a minion (including triggering it's deathrattle) instead of returning it to your hand if you're holding 10 cards.

Skux

Was your hand full? Sap/kidnapper/vanish will destroy a minion (including triggering it's deathrattle) instead of returning it to your hand if you're holding 10 cards.

Oh that's what happened, thanks. I must have thought the EE went back to my hand, maybe got it confused with my second one.

Facing my fourth mage in a row in arena. Something really should be done to encourage other classes. This isn't fun... 2-1 so far at wins 5-6 against them as a pally but is it ever tiring.

Arena will be a mage fest until they add a lot more common cards to make getting their great class commons less likely. Even then, they have a pretty great hero power for Arena.

CoolOff

Apparently the perfect recipe to anti-Mage in arena is to draft two Mad Scientists and two Counterspells. Oh, you wanted to Flamestrike? I'm sorry.

I'm 6-1 with the deck, 6 wins against Mages and a loss against a Druid.

ShinNL

New favorite (non-single turn) Shaman combo, Al'Akir lives a turn. Next round, drop FTT, Faceless Al'Akir, and reincarnate. 30 damage (5/5 x 6 attacks), 9 mana. :)

As if a Faceless of some beefy legendary your opponent just played in to Hex isn't enough reason to run Faceless in Shaman, never really considered Faceless Al'Akir... and I even got to use my other reincarnate on Slyvanas earlier in the match (stealing a decently buffed Loatheb). About time the stars aligned lol.

It does and that's why Faceless is awesome with control Shaman. I don't have Al'Akir but Ancestral Spirit + Faceless on anything nice is awesome, KT is a nice target and a turn 10 Earth Elemental + Faceless is a big shout "I WILL NOT DIE!".

ViviOggi

Nothing better than making Huntards go rage afk and then waiting out your own turns while spamming "Thanks" to see them come back, hammer the end turn button a few times and ultimately Alt+F4

johnsmith

remember me
So apparently everybody is running Ragnaros now? Every class I've played today has been using him. Also I can't win for shit with druid today. It's not even hunters giving me problems. I'm losing against EVERYTHING.

So apparently everybody is running Ragnaros now? Every class I've played today has been using him. Also I can't win for shit with druid today. It's not even hunters giving me problems. I'm losing against EVERYTHING.

I felt that way like a day or two ago. Wanting to counter undertaker with owls was making my deck shit. It isn't even a good "counter" in the first place, and was barely increasing my winrate while making other match ups, like warrior, even worse. But people keep claiming owl is a good answer to undertaker so I figured to give it a real shot.

Emarv

I'm sooooo ready for this expansion.

Also, I really hope they figure out in 2015 some actual reward for grinding ladder each month.

rac

Banned
Thought stealing the Thuzad that would later win the game feels cheap. Mind controlling the thuzad that he plays right after just felt wrong.

ZealousD

Thought stealing the Thuzad that would later win the game feels cheap. Mind controlling the thuzad that he plays right after just felt wrong.

This is why you play Priest. You're a control deck that counters other control decks!

From zeriyah (community manager) on the forums:

You're correct - there will be a new card to help deal with secrets in Goblins vs Gnomes. I can't go into more detail at this time.

Also some interesting stats from october show the only 2 classes with a winrate higher than 50% are hunter and warlock.

http://hearthstats.net/oct

Only warrior and priest have the tiniest edge against hunter in the overall win%. And rogue is getting shat on by everything else, coming in below even paladin in win%.

Raxus

Not surprising that the 4 most consistent decks rank on top.

I am counting the days until we get another hunter and warlock nerf.

Minsc

Gold Member

I mentioned this earlier too, hence two BGHs + Faceless in my decks now. :)

I felt that way like a day or two ago. Wanting to counter undertaker with owls was making my deck shit. It isn't even a good "counter" in the first place, and was barely increasing my winrate while making other match ups, like warrior, even worse. But people keep claiming owl is a good answer to undertaker so I figured to give it a real shot.

The whole problem with people who defend undertaker by saying "just mulligan for your removal/silence/counter/whatever" is you're starting the game behind... why throw back decent 2 or 3 drops for a chance of an early removal against something that may or may not even show up? Much better to mulligan for a good start yourself if you want to win, but going by other's advice now you have to mulligan for undertaker control for it not to be OP, and you start the game at a disadvantage (since the player who has the board has an inherit advantage in how things trade).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom