• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
cQfsyMw.png

Meh.

Ice Block + This = I'm gonna rage.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Another thought I just had. My default assumption is that the AoE damage only happens on the controllers turn when they use it to attack a minion. That feels like a safe assumption.

But you could argue that if an enemy attacks the reaper, then the reaper is 'attacking' that creature and thus this effect would happen if your opponent attacks into it with one of their creatures.

That would make this legendary infinitely more interesting, but probably isn't the case.

What time do the voting reveals go out? It's been a really close race and I hope the Shaman wins.

Also, about Foe Reaper, while it would be nice to have a defensive cleave with Defender / Protector, it probably won't work that way. Compare the text to Water Elemental, which actually has the word damage in it. What probably happens is you attack, the effect goes off, then he'll hit the guy in the middle. That's my take on how it'll work.

Edit : I do wish there was a lower cost minion with the same effect. Would be cool to have this early game.

Lumine

Yeah from the wording on the card I assume the 'cleave' will only activate on attacking and not defending. It's an interesting card nonetheless. Imagine killing a 6/6 with it while it only takes 1 damage itself because you attacked the 1/1 next to it. Might even be able to clear a full board with things like charge or windfury. I'm not fully convinced though, it costing 8 mana and all, but it's the first card that's actually interesting to see how it will do in constructed.

Another thought I just had. My default assumption is that the AoE damage only happens on the controllers turn when they use it to attack a minion. That feels like a safe assumption.

But you could argue that if an enemy attacks the reaper, then the reaper is 'attacking' that creature and thus this effect would happen if your opponent attacks into it with one of their creatures.

That would make this legendary infinitely more interesting, but probably isn't the case.

I think it would have definitely said "deals damage" if it worked when being attacked.

Xanathus

Maybe there can be a control Shaman build similar to how control Warrior works? High cost minions with low cost removals. Could also work with Farsight, but then the problem is that they'll need card draw.

Shaman troll card:

Ancestors call
4 mana

Put a random minion from each player's hand onto the battlefield.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en...le.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/15142315070

Ummm...
Lmao... Why make this card? This is rather pointless.
I guess this expansion is all about that random factor though.

Every class is getting new cards right? I really wonder what Hunter's is going to be. Can't imagine mechs/goblins/gnomes fit the beast theme very well. A mecha beast I suppose? lol.

In regards to the 6/9 creature with "cleave":
Would have been better to have a 6/1 creature with "cleave" and charge--5 or 6 mana. That entire turn delay just negates its value at such high cost. We'll see though. 9 health is pretty nice. Also isn't vulnerable to BGH or Black Knight.

Also, the wording suggests the cleave effect only happens on your attacking turn.

inky

Maybe there can be a control Shaman build similar to how control Warrior works? High cost minions with low cost removals. Could also work with Farsight, but then the problem is that they'll need card draw.

That's not the only problem tho. Life gain is another issue they'd have to worry about, albeit to a lesser extent. Other than some neutral legendaries like Rag or Ysera, it can also work against you, say for example it puts Fire Elemental or Alexstrasza into play. Al'Akir is 50/50 considering you'd ideally want to combo it for damage or clear instantly. Bypassing Earth Elemental's battlecry is one tradeoff, except no one plays EE because it's bad and so easily dealt with.

With the limited info we have it does look like a useless card, except for that specific dream scenario when it ends up working.

slayn

That looks like one of the worst cards in the entire game of hearthstone.

edit: even if we consider a 'dream' scenario where it pulls an 8 mana card from your hand and like a 3 mana card from your oponent:

you spent 4 mana + two cards. You get 8 mana worth of power into play (+4 mana)
your opponent spent 0 mana + 1 card. They get 3 mana worth of power into play (+3 mana)
You lose card advantage for a 1 mana benefit and your opponent gets to attack first!

It's worth less than half an innervate in an ideal scenario and only gets worse from there.

its mindblowing to me how bad this card is.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
These narrow counter-cards, Ancestor's Call, Illuminator, just aren't going to be very good unless the game has sideboarding. When a card only works in 10% of machups, you really don't want that maindeck.

I'd use that, but I also use a deck with Far Sight and Ancestral Spirit. Still wish it was something that healed though.

Just rerealized, each card is from hand. This could be great if all you had was high cost minions and spells. It'll have to be tested though. Just have to hope you don't play a Miracle Rogue's Auctioneer.

Xanathus

That's not the only problem tho. Life gain is another issue they'd have to worry about, albeit to a lesser extent. Other than some neutral legendaries like Rag or Ysera, it can also work against you, say for example it puts Fire Elemental or Alexstrasza into play. Al'Akir is 50/50 considering you'd ideally want to combo it for damage or clear instantly. Bypassing Earth Elemental's battlecry is one tradeoff, except no one plays EE because it's bad and so easily dealt with.

With the limited info we have it does look like a useless card, except for that specific dream scenario when it ends up working.
Ooh Earth Elemental is actually an interesting idea with this card, maybe it's meant to bypass the overload effect and they are also adding more high value minions for Shaman with high overload costs.

inky

Ooh Earth Elemental is actually an interesting idea with this card, maybe it's meant to bypass the overload effect and they are also adding more high value minions for Shaman with high overload costs.

Well, now that I "think" about it (i.e. googled the actual card to see what it says) Overload is an effect on the card, not labeled a battlecry like I thought, so it might still overload you.

I've never Alarmo-bot or Mindgames'ed one so not even sure how it works.

Minsc

Gold Member
That looks like one of the worst cards in the entire game of hearthstone.

edit: even if we consider a 'dream' scenario where it pulls an 8 mana card from your hand and like a 3 mana card from your oponent:

you spent 4 mana + two cards. You get 8 mana worth of power into play (+4 mana)
your opponent spent 0 mana + 1 card. They get 3 mana worth of power into play (+3 mana)
You lose card advantage for a 1 mana benefit and your opponent gets to attack first!

It's worth less than half an innervate in an ideal scenario and only gets worse from there.

its mindblowing to me how bad this card is.

Dream scenario is a turn 3 Ysera vs priest (that is a game over for them, nothing else in a priest deck would let them comeback except a Ysera of their own), and a turn 3 Rag for anything else, with Rag killing whatever is dropped on their side (preferably something like BGH or Black Knight for added insult).

Well, now that I "think" about it (i.e. googled the actual card to see what it says) Overload is an effect on the card, not labeled a battlecry like I thought, so it might still overload you.

Overload doesn't even happen if the spell is countered, so it's not going to happen for this. It's an after effect of successfully casting the spell with mana crystals, that's the only time you get hit by it.

nah it only overloads when you play it.

slayn

Its Show and Tell w RNG. This card is good.
It works in magic because
1. you can search/tutor specific combo cards into your hand
2. have cards that single handedly win the game

Hearthstone has neither of these things

inky

Overload doesn't even happen if the spell is countered, so it's not going to happen for this. It's an after effect of successfully casting the spell with mana crystals, that's the only time you get hit by it.

nah it only overloads when you play it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Well, now they need to make EE a 6/9 (heck, I'd take a 6/8) instead of a 7/8 and I might actually consider this combo.

Minsc

Gold Member
It also lets you use KT earlier than turn 8 which can be huge. There's plenty of times I play Shaman and on turn 6 or 7, and have a Fire Elemental, silenced belcher, or a few other nice minions, and they're all unable to make it to turn 8. Getting a turn 6 or 7 KT could make a huge difference if it lets you trade in a way KT brings back your whole board.

And the real dream scenario is they have no minions in their hand I suppose, then it's really going to hurt. It's not like you'd ever play it at a time when it'd lose you the game either, if you use it with a KT in hand and just want to speed up the game to see if they're bluffing any minions, you could easily trade your minions in to whatever it summons on their side and clear it away safely.

Basically it gives you a way to use KT better imo, which will lead to more wins.

slayn

Dream scenario is a turn 3 Ysera vs priest (that is a game over for them, nothing else in a priest deck would let them comeback except a Ysera of their own), and a turn 3 Rag for anything else, with Rag killing whatever is dropped on their side (preferably something like BGH or Black Knight for added insult).
And then in your next matchup you play against a rogue and they sap your ysera and you lose
And then in your next matchup you play against a hunter the hunter marks it and you lose
And the in the match after that you have a flametongue in hand making the card basically unplayable until after a situation where you can play flametongue.

Minsc

Gold Member
And then in your next matchup you play against a rogue and they sap your ysera and you lose
And then in your next matchup you play against a hunter the hunter marks it and you lose
And the in the match after that you have a flametongue in hand making the card basically unplayable until after a situation where you can play flametongue.

I think the ideal play is later anyway, more towards turn 6 or 7 like mentioned above, when you'd have some extra mana to influence the board, or could use it to take advantage of KT's incredibly unbalanced power when they're not expecting it.

Edit: It's not like you'd go and play it for the hell of it turn 3/4 anyway, unless it was against a class you thought such a play would win, and those classes don't include rogue and hunter usually. Versus hunter it'd probably be a dead card for most of the matchup, until you were sure they had no creatures in their hand or could play it alongside a hex.

slayn

I guess it could see some use in some kind of miracle malygos shaman. Where you plan to end the game on the turn you play this. But I think any attempt to use this to just play generally big stuff is going to be terrible on average.

You wouldn't play it when you may just summon a flametongue totem. You'd play the flametongue totem first of course.

It isn't the type of card you'll play on turn 4 much, unless you have a pretty much guaranteed chance of getting something worthwhile out. It is even kinda decent in the later portion of the game, perhaps even stronger because you'll have excess mana to deal with whatever they get for free. Imagine getting a malygos out for 4 mana, then having 4 additional mana to ...

lightning bolt lava burst, lightning bolt = 5 + 5 + 3 + 5 = 18 damage. Or even just do a super board clear with 7-8 damage lightning storms.

Maybe you get alakir out for 4 mana and then you have enough spare mana to instead use x2 rockbiter, 2x flametongue totem = 26 damage. Would the flametongue totems get in the way? You'd play it first. Of course, that means only one flametongue totem would work on alakir since you can't place a minion summoned by a spell.

edit:
So basically a very powerful but more situational innervate.

Minsc

Gold Member
I guess it could see some use in some kind of miracle malygos shaman. Where you plan to end the game on the turn you play this. But I think any attempt to use this to just play generally big stuff is going to be terrible on average.

Yeah, that's another good one I didn't think of. If they have good board control over you, and you are at turn 7, there's a good chance Malygos + Lightning Storm would work wonders. Or you could get 2x lightning bolt + lava burst for 28 damage, and even use a rockbiter to get to 31 for 10 mana. Even in rogue, Malygos + prep + fan of blades is pretty devastating, and this can be done 2 turns earlier for more damage (but no card draw).

slayn

maylgos works in rogue though because of all the card draw. Yeah there are dream combos but you can't really afford to run 2 of this card I don't think and you would only combo this with a specific legendary. Without the ability to draw your whole deck I don't think this works. And if you can draw your whole deck a large hand ruins your combo because you'll have other creatures in hand.

I think this would only be a truly viable deck if shaman also gains a spell to search their deck for a card of their choice and put it in their hand.

Play the new Shaman card vs. a Mage on Turn 3 with a Coin. You summon a Deathwing. They summon a Doomsayer. You end your turn and their turn starts with the Doomsayer wiping your Deathwing off the board. You just traded the Coin and two cards (worth 14-mana) for a 2-mana Doomsayer.

I just had a thought... maybe you get foe reaper and then next turn you put rockbiter on it... giant slayer.

Play the new Shaman card vs. a Mage on Turn 3 with a Coin. You summon a Deathwing. They summon a Doomsayer. You end your turn and their turn starts with the Doomsayer wiping your Deathwing off the board. You just traded the Coin and two cards (worth 14-mana) for a 2-mana Doomsayer.

I actually think turn 4 is perhaps the worst time to play this card... most of the time.

Another card that people will try their hardest to find a use for, but will never be used after the first couple days. It's basically a quasi alarm o bot, except you don't have to wait a turn and risk removal, and your opponents gets a minion as well. People will envision all the dream scenarios, but in reality those will happen such a low percentage of time

I just had a thought... maybe you get foe reaper and then next turn you put rockbiter on it... giant slayer.

I actually think turn 4 is perhaps the worst time to play this card... most of the time.

Yeah, I agree. This would be best played late game to get big minions out for cheaper, then summon another minion, use removal, or combo.

I love how Shaman is slowly becoming the new Druid.

Well, they always had the farsight card. It seems like blizz intended multiple classes to be able to bypass the mana crystals in different ways. Druid has the vanilla innervate, rogue has the spell only by slightly more potent preparation, shaman has farsight, priest has mind games...

Only really druid and rogue have been used in the competitive scene to say the least.

edit:
Guesses for the next 2 cards...

The paladin one looks like a buff spell.

The priest one looks like a steal buff spell.

ViviOggi

So much for all the RNG trash being shown with the first batch

Card's simply unplayable outside of a pure Zoo/Aggro meta and even then the risk of pulling a blank is way too high at 4 mana

So much for all the RNG trash being shown with the first batch

Card's simply unplayable outside of a pure Zoo/Aggro meta and even then the risk of pulling a blank is way too high at 4 mana

The limited possibilities are from your hand, so the risk of pulling a blank is up to you. You can easily increase the chance of dropping a big card just by playing smaller minions first.

Minsc

Gold Member
Or the other guy's...

A lot of big minions the other guy will have are actually better to pre-emptively get rid of. Stuff like Rag/Ysera/etc, if you have a Hex ready and it's turn 7, and you have a nice minion of your own, there's lots of ways to play it safely. 7 mana to get rid of their Ysera/Rag/Alexstrasza/etc with no battlecry (or free card from Ysera) and get a nice big legendary of your own isn't bad.

Really, it's best used with an immediate effect. The wrong way to play it is to get a minion on the board and pass your turn, doing nothing else. The proper way to play it is to win the same turn it's played, or get 4+ minions back from KT, to use it to when you have an answer to anything they might typically have in hand already.

Paladin card kind of feels like something that'll work with how many minions they have on the board, since the dude has a crowd around him.

No idea what the Priest card is. Kind of reminds me of Inner Fire. A while back Priests also had another self buff like that and you could only have one or the other. The name escapes me though. Long story short, Inner Fire increased spell damage and the increaseday spell haste. No idea how'd that translate into a card.

inky

A lot of big minions the other guy will have are actually better to pre-emptively get rid of. Stuff like Rag/Ysera/etc, if you have a BGH or Hex ready and it's turn 7, and you have a nice minion of your own, there's lots of ways to play it safely. 7 mana to get rid of their Ysera/Rag/Alexstrasza/etc with no battlecry and get a nice big legendary of your own isn't bad.

Until it puts Rag in the board for him, and BGH for you. Then, well, you better drew another answer in advance. Having hex, or enough removal spells ready in hand at the same time is not always going to be easy. Maybe if you build your deck with a draw engine in it.

I understand the better scenarios to play it, and that it will almost be better to take a bit of control away from your opponent, but at some point, there might be many variables to account for, even if you have answers ready. It's still a bit too random to say the risk is solely on what you have.

Mirimar

That card could work out for those who infer that the other player has a particular card, in this case, a minion. Instead of having to bait it out, you could use it to force the other player to play a creature they otherwise would not have. Very circumstantial, but I can see a good player putting it to use that way and having an instant answer/removal for a very troublesome card.

Would be most effective on battlecry minions, IE - Loatheb, Black Knight, BGK, Ancient of Lore, to name a few. Could definitely wreck Miracle Rogue if you forced their Auctioneer out.

I probably would only use it if I had board control or was really desperate to get something out.

gutshot

Until it puts Rag in the board for him, and BGH for you. Then, well, you better drew another answer in advance. Having hex, or enough removal spells ready in hand at the same time is not always going to be easy. Maybe if you build your deck with a draw engine in it.

I understand the better scenarios to play it, and that it will almost be better to take a bit of control away from your opponent, but at some point, there might be many variables to account for, even if you have answers ready. It's still a bit too random to say the risk is solely on what you have.

It plays a random minion from your hand, so you would never play it if you had BGH in hand.

Besides, do Shamans even run BGH? 2x Hex is enough to deal with the bigger threats and 2x Earth Shocks to take care of your Sylvanas/Cairnes/etc.

inky

It plays a random minion from your hand, so you would never play it if you had BGH in hand.

Besides, do Shamans even run BGH? 2x Hex is enough to deal with the bigger threats and 2x Earth Shocks to take care of your Sylvanas/Cairnes/etc.

Well, that was what the scenario Minsc wrote, so that is what I was responding too. Normally you wouldn't run BGH, but we are assuming decks are going to change with the new cards anyway so you might or might not.

And that's part of the point I'm making. As long as you have a minion in your hand you don't want randomly put into play, you won't play the card, so you need to be flushing them or minimize the amount of those minions in your deck, or else it's a dead card until you do. Add to that you need removal on hand (Hex more likely) to play it if you are expecting something you can't immediately deal with and then the successful scenarios keep getting slimmer.

We can't see all the possibilities at this point anyway, because we can't assume the meta decks out there right now will remain the same. If we are doing that, then I still think it's not that great. Very draw dependent.

I always thought it'd be cool to see Mages get Spell Steal, an ability they used to have. You actually steal magical buffs from other players / enemies. So I could see that happening with Mages.

Priests however are already getting Velen's chosen, which looks really strong, so I don't see why they'd get that along with a buff steal.

Hardest thing for me is trying to figure out if that person in the card art is in pain or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom