• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
Should have let the caster pick which minion gets played while your opponent gets a random one. That might have made it viable.

JesseZao

I like the card. Not sure it's a turn 4 play though. You want to be able to deal with their card before they use it. It'll mess up handlock quite a bit, but shamans didn't need help vs them. You can safely play it against rogues and other low minion decks.

I think it'll be interesting to build around.

ShinNL

Why are they trolling Shaman so much? Farsight is worse than the new Mage card, this card is completely bonkers. The only way it's 'good' is if you run Malygos and then Lightning Storm the heck out of anything that's summoned and everything else. 7 mana full clear, but requires you to have no other minions on your hand to pull off: so very unlikely.

So the only good thing to summon with it is either Earth Elemental (turn 4 EE with no overload is not a bad deal even if it costs you a card and summon something of theirs) or Malygos as a wombo combo finisher with Lightning Bolt (8) Lightning Bolt (16) Frost Shock (22) Frost Shock (28). If you somehow manage to get all the 5 cards on turn 8 without dying and not being on overload.

Why troll my favorite class, Blizzard :(

JesseZao

Theoretically, they could introduce a new timer to allow for interaction during the opponent's turn that freezes the turn timer for the duration. That's doesn't seem to align with their current design philosophy though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
That card is like combining mindgames, alarm-o-bot, and deathlord into one card.

Why would you do that? Every single scenario where this card is played and comes out ahead for the shaman is like a magic dreamland where nothing bad happens scenario.

CoolOff

I used to mess around with a stall-Mage that used Alarm-O-Bots and heavy legendaries a few months back, might be tempted to make a Shaman-version of it with this new card.

Minsc

Gold Member
That card is like combining mindgames, alarm-o-bot, and deathlord into one card.

Why would you do that? Every single scenario where this card is played and comes out ahead for the shaman is like a magic dreamland where nothing bad happens scenario.

It's really not that uncommon to have a damaged fire elemental and one or two other minions on the board behind a taunt or two. There's almost nothing it could summon in normal ranked played that wouldn't make it a good play if you had a KT in hand with it, and it was prior to turn 8 when you'd normally be able to cast KT so they wouldn't be expecting you to trade board (especially since they perhaps have no board to trade against, until it pulls some random tech card they're holding).

Play it, trade your board in to whatever it summons on your opponents side, and then your board returns. Horrible play, I know.

Edit: Shaman is pretty good against control, they have a decent amount of end game options. I currently run Ysera, Sylvanas + Reincarnate, KT, and a single blood lust. The last healing/control paladin I played, I finished without even using a single hex (had both in hand), and they drew their whole deck too.

The card would give me a few options to play with if I ran one, for example, if I had a Sylvanas on the board from a prior turn, I could force them to drop Tirion (which he knew not to do because of hex/sylvanas), and then reincarnate slyvannas stealing their Tirion (or just run sylvanas in to their Tirion and take it minus the shield).

Skux

As someone said on Reddit, the value is not what you draw, but what you force your opponent to draw, then leaving you 6 mana to deal with it. It's the only card we've seen with this ability.

Late game a control Warrior is sitting on his win condition cards. You pull Grommash out of his hand and Hex it. Or you draw his Alex, nullifying its battlecry.

You can also control the randomness by playing it when you only have one minion in your hand (Malygos, Al'Akir, hell even Leeroy is 4 mana again). Or just run a Crusher deck stacked with big minions and get Earth Elemental for 4 mana and no overload.

ZealousD

It's really not that uncommon to have a damaged fire elemental and one or two other minions on the board behind a taunt or two. There's almost nothing it could summon in normal ranked played that wouldn't make it a good play if you had a KT in hand with it, and it was prior to turn 8 when you'd normally be able to cast KT so they wouldn't be expecting you to trade board (especially since they perhaps have no board to trade against, until it pulls some random tech card they're holding).

Play it, trade your board in to whatever it summons on your opponents side, and then your board returns. Horrible play, I know.

This scenario only works if Kel'thuzad is the only minion in your hand. Otherwise you might just summon some total garbage from your hand and then your opponent gets Ysera or something. Then you just spent 4 mana to give your opponent a free Ysera.

The card is too situational and the backfire potential is too high. The card is just total garbage.

This scenario only works if Kel'thuzad is the only minion in your hand. Otherwise you might just summon some total garbage from your hand and then your opponent gets Ysera or something. Then you just spent 4 mana to give your opponent a free Ysera.

The card is too situational and the backfire potential is too high. The card is just total garbage.

You wouldn't use it on turn 4 against a control deck. You'd wait til you have an answer just in case they get a big minion or you could use it to start off a finisher like getting malygos for 4 mana and having 6 mana to spread all sorts of +5 spell damage hell around.

You know, the card may have some use in a Zoo-heavy meta if you are running a control Shaman. You pull a shitty 2 or 3 drop for your opponent but drop a big 6+ drop for yourself... And hell, sometimes Zoo don't have any cards in-hand anyway.

Just as long as you don't pull a free Doomguard for them you're probably coming out ahead.

ZealousD

You wouldn't use it on turn 4 against a control deck. You'd wait til you have an answer just in case they get a big minion or you could use it to start off a finisher like getting malygos for 4 mana and having 6 mana to spread all sorts of +5 spell damage hell around.

So basically, it sits dead in your own hand unless you also have hex. I mean, the situation where you can afford to spend 7 mana to maybe deal with a card that's not even on the board sounds like a turn where you are already extremely ahead anyway.

It's just too situational.

Minsc

Gold Member
So basically, it sits dead in your own hand unless you also have hex. I mean, the situation where you can afford to spend 7 mana to maybe deal with a card that's not even on the board sounds like a turn where you are already extremely ahead anyway.

It's a win condition (or maybe more like a win-removal condition for your opponent). You keep it in your hand until you draw KT. Much like Reincarnate is a win condition with Sylvanas. In my Shaman deck, I have one of each, and I keep them until I have them both in control matches, and they work together to win games.

Someone made a poor example vs a Freeze mage earlier (play it turn 4! Get your Ysera out and their Doomsayer, loose the game!)... but if you held it 'til turn 9, and used it then, you get their Alexstrasza on the board instead, and save yourself from 15 damage, then reincarnate your (free) Sylvanas the same turn... and you've probably won. Or you hex their Alexstrasza and enjoy a few extra turns before you die.

What is wrong with holding onto a card til you set up a situation where you can leap frog ahead of your opponent? You have dead cards in your hand all the time.

And even when you are winning, sometimes you literally need to win more... to actually get to a win.

And using a hex on a card you were gonna hex anyway... seems perfectly fine tbh. In fact, I sometimes hope zoolock plays a doomguard and smacks me in the face just so I can hex it. With cards like ysera and even ragnaros, they won't even get a single shot off.

johnsmith

remember me
It's an awful win condition. Doomhammer/rockbiter/al'akir/flametongue totem are superior win conditions because they are also good at any point in the game. This is just way too situational.

What is wrong with holding onto a card til you set up a situation where you can leap frog ahead of your opponent? You have dead cards in your hand all the time.

And even when you are winning, sometimes you literally need to win more... to actually get to a win.

And using a hex on a card you were gonna hex anyway... seems perfectly fine tbh. In fact, I sometimes hope zoolock plays a doomguard and smacks me in the face just so I can hex it. With cards like ysera and even ragnaros, they won't even get a single shot off.
Except you gave your opponent 9 free mana by not making him cast that ysera himself.

Minsc

Gold Member
Except you gave your opponent 9 free mana by not making him cast that ysera himself.

You took away one of their win conditions though, on your own terms and they got nothing out of it, not even a free card. You don't know how many times I kill Ysera on my turn immediately after it is played, and they get Ysera Awakens from their one single card and clear my entire board to pull ahead to win the game. But that's not even really the only win condition you'll see with it... the Malygos + 2x lightning bolt for 16 damage then just attack face is a decent finisher, and that goes up to 26 damage (+any prior board presence) if you have a lava burst as well.

I'm shocked anyone would think that Druid card isn't garbage. All the "if everything in the world aligns just right" scenarios are hilarious. Trying to hopefully take away someone's win condition that you hope they have in their hand, while you pray to the RNG gods that this card draws it... Seriously?

It's an awful win condition. Doomhammer/rockbiter/al'akir/flametongue totem are superior win conditions because they are also good at any point in the game. This is just way too situational.

Yes, and dealt with it for 3 mana. And lets say you got an 8 mana minion out for 4 mana. I think you're ahead in that mana exchange, but behind one card since it took 2 cards to get your minion out.

It is like innervate, but requires more finessing at times to make it work really well (and for good reason since the benefit gained is much more potent than just 2 mana). It also has the benefit of dealing with your opponent cards before they have a chance to get value out of them. I'd imagine it would be in a deck different than the current standard shaman that relies on burst attacks to win.

edit:
To clarify about the mana thing.

Lets say your opponent plays a 6 mana minon. You then answer it with 3 mana. This leaves you with 3 mana to do something else. If you use it, you're effectively 3 mana ahead of your opponent.

In this scenario, when you get a free ysera that is subsequently removed, you're not really getting free mana to do something else. All that is really going on is the shaman spent 3 mana to deal with your 0 mana play. The shaman is set back by 3 mana. If the shaman saved 4 mana from using ancestor's call to get the 8cc out, that means the shaman saves mana overall (only 1 in this scenario). The benefit being that getting a minion out a turn early (and dealing with a big threat like ysera) is a pretty good move imo. And that is like the worst case scenario. What if your opponent only gets a taskmaster out. Even pulling out a grommash could mean a win if you can deal with it as easy as a hex.

It's a win condition (or maybe more like a win-removal condition for your opponent). You keep it in your hand until you draw KT. Much like Reincarnate is a win condition with Sylvanas. In my Shaman deck, I have one of each, and I keep them until I have them both in control matches, and they work together to win games.

Someone made a poor example vs a Freeze mage earlier (play it turn 4! Get your Ysera out and their Doomsayer, loose the game!)... but if you held it 'til turn 9, and used it then, you get their Alexstrasza on the board instead, and save yourself from 15 damage, then reincarnate your (free) Sylvanas the same turn... and you've probably won. Or you hex their Alexstrasza and enjoy a few extra turns before you die.

I made that example a few pages back. Personally, I think your scenario is basically the ideal scenario while mine was the worst-case scenario... but hell, what if you do pull their Doomsayer on turn 9 instead? Anyway, you're talking about having 3 specific cards on turn 9: Sylvanas, Ancestor's Call, and Reincarnate while your opponent also having a high-value card that is worth stealing with your Sylvanas. Even in this best-case scenario, you're trading 2 cards to Mind Control whatever card they have. I've played Shaman a ton. Relying on 3+ cards to combo for a win isn't that effective in my opinion because we don't have the ability to draw cards easily and reliably obtain all the necessary combo cards.

Basically, I'm highly skeptical that the card will ever see high-level play. It's far too random and possibly extremely terrible. I'll try it out once it is released because I play Shaman frequently, but I can't see it sticking around in my decks for anything but the fun of it all (which, in itself, is a totally legitimate reason to run the card).

ZealousD

You took away one of their win conditions though, on your own terms and they got nothing out of it, not even a free card.

It wasn't on your own terms. It was on the RNGs terms. You don't even know if you're going to grab their win condition. Maybe you grab a spectral knight or a sludge belcher instead. And then maybe the only thing you pull out is a haunted creeper. Think about what exactly has to be in your hand and on the board for you to want to play this card.

You have to be ahead with only 6+ mana cost minions and hex in hand, and maybe even then only once your opponent has potentially played any cards you can't immediately deal with efficiently, like spectral knight.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
There is a theoretical future where shaman also has:
1 spells that let them search their deck for specific cards and put them in their hand/on top of their deck
2 creatures added to the game that are so powerful that the simple act of playing them wins you the game (no such creature yet exists)

In which case the card becomes amazing. Until then though it is pretty garbage. People can concoct hypothetical situations left and right for and against the card but situations where its a good card pale in comparison to when it is a dead card. And the narrow situations where it is a good card it is not good enough to make up for the time it sits dead in your hand. It really doesn't do that much even when it's good except in very very narrow situations that will be reserved for funny/lucky youtube moments just like shaman boards full of 5 cairnes.

Pulling a large minion from something like a druid or warrior and hexing it on the turn you pull it from them is not a good play. You were going to hex it anyway, and you've now put them 8-9 mana 'ahead' of where they would have been. Instead of wasting their next turn spending all of their mana to play a thing you could have hexed and then spent your remaining 7 mana to gain tempo, they can instead play a different big minion, removal, or two big 5 drops with the knowledge that your hex is now gone. You've essentially sped them up a turn. Everything they do from that point on will happen one turn earlier than it would have had you never given them 8-9 free mana. If I'm the control warrior, losing out on the ysera dream card is well worth you giving me 9 free mana + putting yourself at card disadvantage to do it (you spent 7 mana and 3 cards to put a creature into play and forced me to discard a random minion). I'm totally cool with that trade.

As a final downside, you playing this card to get a minion into play tells me a lot about your hand and how I should play my cards going forward.

The exceptions are if the deck plays like only one win condition but then you're back in crazy narrow town similar to people saying haha what if deathlord pulls out the miracle rogue's leeroy and then its just gg? How many times did you see that happen? Because I saw it happen never.

The only thing keeping me from writing the card off entirely currently is that a malygos/call deck is maybe, maybe viable because you kill them the turn you play it. And such a deck would be very minion-Iite so that you can all but guarantee that this pulls down malygos 100% of the time. I don't think it is viable using only the currently known cards but if other unrevealed cards synergize with that strategy (deck searching/card draw, more direct spell damage, more removal) then I can maybe see it.

Dreavus

There is a theoretical future where shaman also has:
1 spells that let them search their deck for specific cards and put them in their hand/on top of their deck
2 creatures added to the game that are so powerful that the simple act of playing them wins you the game (no such creature yet exists)

To add to this, point 2 will likely never happen in this game because of the 10 mana "limit". Closest thing we come to it right now is a Deathwing, and in this scenario Deathwing wouldn't even really work properly because I don't think the Battlecry would activate.

For some reason I think tutors might not show up in the game at all. It starts to veer into a more complex territory, and is basically the antithesis to randomness - which Blizzard wants to keep around and is purposefully including more of in the expansion.

Kettch

Ehhh, Alexstraza decks really aren't an issue for Shamans anyway, so even those ideal scenarios aren't worth much. Granted I play a bloodlust/egg deck, but after two legend runs and a few part seasons for 300 total shaman wins, I have literally not lost a single game against freeze mage. Control warrior is the next easiest match-up as they can't handle the totems and death rattles.

I think it's a pretty trash card, which is sad. Especially for arena. Shaman has quite a few totally worthless cards already, so I don't want to be forced to pick more of them. Though the class is slightly OP there as is, so maybe I shouldn't complain (as long as mage gets several worthless cards).

I really don't get how you're putting your opponent 9 mana ahead when you hex the minion anyway. It could have been a 1 mana minion you hexed or a 20 mana minion you hexed, the the result is the same.

The mana cost of the minion you hex really doesn't even make a difference if you think about it. It is the cost of removal you are concerned about. And spending 3 mana plus 4 mana to get an 8 drop out a turn early isn't crazy value but you are coming out ahead, especially when you consider the value of removing a huge threat pre-emptively. Taking gromm or alexstrasza out of warrior is basically a win. I'd gladly remove a hex from my deck to take out a key component of my opponent.

I understand the skepticism though. My first reaction was, this is a troll card. But after thinking about it, I think it could be quite good. I think a whacky card like this could be a part of a wierd deck that just works with the right card selection. I'm not saying build an entire deck around this card, but make it all work. We'll see once more cards come out, if shaman gets some more tools to work in a control deck like this. It could even make older shaman cards work well like far sight and reincarnate.

slayn

To add to this, point 2 will likely never happen in this game because of the 10 mana "limit". Closest thing we come to it right now is a Deathwing, and in this scenario Deathwing wouldn't even really work properly because I don't think the Battlecry would activate.

For some reason I think tutors might not show up in the game at all. It starts to veer into a more complex territory, and is basically the antithesis to randomness - which Blizzard wants to keep around and is purposefully including more of in the expansion.
We have examples of creatures beyond 10 mana with some way to make them cheaper (see giants). So one could image something like a 30 mana creature that read, 'this card's mana cost is reduced by 1 each turn it sits in your hand.' and then shaman would have a way to cheat it out. So I think its possible.

As for tutor effects, while I agree there will probably never be straight up 'search your deck' spells, you could imagine cards that 'pull a random minion from your deck into your hand.' And if the above 30 mana minion is one of the only minions in your deck then guess what you'll be drawing.

I really don't get how you're putting your opponent 9 mana ahead when you hex the minion anyway. It could have been a 1 mana minion you hexed or a 20 mana minion you hexed, the the result is the same.
At some point, I would have used my entire turn to play ysera and because you can hex it for 3 mana its almost like you get to take 2 turns in a row where all I did inbetween was draw a dream card.

It's not the ysera getting hexed that is terrible for me as a warrior. The nightmare is that the I lose my entire turn too.

By hexing ysera via this combo, I never loses an entire turn doing (almost) nothing. That is awesome for me.

ShinNL

Maybe I should craft Nozdormu, cast that spell, quickly end the turn and hope the opponent doesn't notice he got a free minion in 15 seconds.

ZealousD

Taking gromm or alexstrasza out of warrior is basically a win. I'd gladly remove a hex from my deck to take out a key component of my opponent.

But there's only two decks where a single minion is so key that it can be a win/loss. Freeze Mage and Control Warrior.

Unless you're playing only those two decks than the card is not nearly consistent enough. Are you really going to toss away a second hex against handlock? Control Paladin? Priest? Hell, even Zoo? And even in those matches where the minion is key, what makes you think you're even going to pull what you want, rather than something like a doomsayer or sludge belcher?

It's like trying to play a mill deck so you can counter handlock.

But there's only two decks where a single minion is so key that it can be a win/loss. Freeze Mage and Control Warrior.

Unless you're playing only those two decks than the card is not nearly consistent enough. Are you really going to toss away a second hex against handlock? Control Paladin? Priest? Hell, even Zoo? And even in those matches where the minion is key, what makes you think you're even going to pull what you want, rather than something like a doomsayer or sludge belcher?

It's like trying to play a mill deck so you can counter handlock.

Well, we're just talking about worst case scenarios here. And what is worse than potentially giving your opponent a bomb of a card on board for free? Not much.

And I think preemptive removal is effective vs a lot of classes. Even negating a battlecry off a minion can be worth it.

Guiz

According to what I saw during the last few days, it seems that alexstraza is a must have for the warrior control deck.

I wanted to know what make this card so strong in control warrior. I'm not an expert but I played this deck a few times and I never managed to use this card at its best value.

Most of the time, when I had this card in hand, I was either in a good position (ennemy health < 15) so the card was useless or I was already too weak to spend that amount of mana just for a heal.

I'm playing a control deck for this season so if I can have any advices on this card that would be great.

ViviOggi

According to what I saw during the last few days, it seems that alexstraza is a must have for the warrior control deck.

I wanted to know what make this card so strong in control warrior. I'm not an expert but I played this deck a few times and I never managed to use this card at its best value.

Most of the time, when I had this card in hand, I was either in a good position (ennemy health < 15) so the card was useless or I was already too weak to spend that amount of mana just for a heal.

I'm playing a control deck for this season so if I can have any advices on this card that would be great.
Generally Control Warrior's game plan is to spend the early turns answering the opponent's threats (preferably with weapons) while using the board for card draw and armor generation. You only start building a real board on turn 5, with single threats that are likely to be answered immediately in a Control vs Control match, so your opponent will not have lost much or any health at all come turn 9+, so Alex's battlecry gets maximum value and puts your opponent under the tremendous pressure of both answering Alex and healing out of Grommash lethal range.

Against Aggro like Huntard or Zoo and even Miracle you're looking to survive until the late game, heal up with Alex followed by Shield Blocks and hero power, which makes them run out of gas while you can finally play your high-cost threats to build a more threatening board each turn.

caesar

Banned
Ancestors Call could be viable if something like Emrakul or Griselbrand ever exists in hearthstone. Right now though, there is nothing even close to being that powerful.

Guiz

Generally Control Warrior's game plan is to spend the early turns answering the opponent's threats (preferably with weapons) while using the board for card draw and armor generation. You only start building a real board on turn 5, with single threats that are likely to be answered immediately in a Control vs Control match, so your opponent will not have lost much or any health at all come turn 9+, so Alex's battlecry gets maximum value and puts your opponent under the tremendous pressure of both answering Alex and healing out of Grommash lethal range.

Against Aggro like Huntard or Zoo and even Miracle you're looking to survive until the late game, heal up with Alex followed by Shield Blocks and hero power, which makes them run out of gas while you can finally play your high-cost threats to build a more threatening board each turn.

Unfortunately, I don't have Grommash yet... (next legendary to craft in my list)
I tried to replace it by Leeroy + Cruel Taskmaster but the effectivness of the combo is not really the same.

I'll give an other try to Alexstraza but I don't really know which card could be a match to replace Grommash. Maybe Rangaros could do the work but I'm not really sure.

ViviOggi

Unfortunately, I don't have Grommash yet... (next legendary to craft in my list)
I tried to replace it by Leeroy + Cruel Taskmaster but the effectivness of the combo is not really the same.

I'll give an other try to Alexstraza but I don't really know which card could be a match to replace Grommash. Maybe Rangaros could do the work but I'm not really sure.

I've been there myself but the truth is you simply can't replace Grommash. Not only can he be activated by Taskmaster, Death's Bite, Whirlwind and Shield Slam, but the possibility of trading him into an x/4 minion while also leaving a huge threat on the board for your opponent to deal with is often crucial against Aggro and Midrange decks.

Haunted

Ragnaros is a strong pick as a finisher. Generally, if you don't have the burst that Grommash provides, don't try to replace it with another burst, go full control. Once they used their Polymorphs/Hex/Silences on Sylvanas, Caire and Ragnaros, that's when you trot out fucking Ysera . :D

ViviOggi

Ragnaros is a strong pick as a finisher. Generally, if you don't have the burst that Grommash provides, don't try to replace it with another burst, go full control. Once they used their Polymorphs/Hex/Silences on Sylvanas, Caire and Ragnaros, that's when you trot out fucking Ysera . :D

Well, ideally you'll want Grom and Rag anyways :p

It's the most expensive deck in the game for a reason.

Minsc

Gold Member
It wasn't on your own terms. It was on the RNGs terms. You don't even know if you're going to grab their win condition. Maybe you grab a spectral knight or a sludge belcher instead. And then maybe the only thing you pull out is a haunted creeper. Think about what exactly has to be in your hand and on the board for you to want to play this card.

You have to be ahead with only 6+ mana cost minions and hex in hand, and maybe even then only once your opponent has potentially played any cards you can't immediately deal with efficiently, like spectral knight.

So you're playing Druid, it's turn 7, and you have that card in hand, a 6/3 fire elemental on board, 3/1 silenced belcher, you play a FTT between them to clear your hand free of creatures except for KT, and then you play it. What's the worst that can really happen? It pulls Ysera and you trade your board in to it, and then get a 6/5 Fire elemental and a free 1/2 taunt from the belcher and a new Sludge Belcher?

More likely it pulls a 5/5 AoL or AoW and they get no card draw / +5 health and taunt from it, or a Black Knight. Even if it grabs a Spectral Knight you just trade your damaged fire elemental in to it. Even a giant would be cleared by your fire elemental.

And unless they're running poison seeds (lol), the game is over right there. What usually happens though, is after I have a board like described above and end my turn 7, they simply clear and I'm left with no board and KT in hand, and no play.If you play it with Malygos (to close the game) or KT (to allow you to trade minions early), it can make for a really strong play.

Guiz

You still find some place to put Ysera in your deck?
Mine is full and I don't know which card I could delete from my deck to add Ysera. (Maybe Loatheb, I don't think it's really useful in this deck)

Well, ideally you'll want Grom and Rag anyways :p

It's the most expensive deck in the game for a reason.

Yes I know I have the "mandatory" legendary for the deck excpect one which could replaced somehow (let me dream).
By the way, if you guys have any advice for my deck, here is the list :

2 Execute
2 Shield Slam
2 Fiery War Axe
1 Cleave
1 Slam
2 Armorsmith
2 Cruel Taskmaster
1 Unstable Ghoul
(switched from Wild Pyromancer)
2 Shield Block
2 Acolyte of pain
2 Death's Bite
1 Spellbreaker
1 Brawl
* Loatheb
2 Sludge Belcher
* Cairne
1 Sunwalker
* Sylvanas
* Black Knight
* Ragnaros
* Alexstraza

I also tried Baron which should be the best answer to aggro but I always draw it too late to be effecient.

ViviOggi

You still find some place to put Ysera in your deck?
Mine is full and I don't know which card I could delete from my deck to add Ysera. (Maybe Loatheb, I don't think it's really useful in this deck)

Yes I know I have the "mandatory" legendary for the deck excpect one which could replaced somehow (let me dream).
By the way, if you guys have any advice for my deck, here is the list :

2 Execute
2 Shield Slam
2 Fiery War Axe
1 Cleave
1 Slam
2 Armorsmith
2 Cruel Taskmaster
1 Unstable Ghoul
(switched from Wild Pyromancer)
2 Shield Block
2 Acolyte of pain
2 Death's Bite
1 Spellbreaker
1 Brawl
* Loatheb
2 Sludge Belcher
* Cairne
1 Sunwalker
* Sylvanas
* Black Knight
* Ragnaros
* Alexstraza

I also tried Baron which should be the best answer to aggro but I always draw it too late to be effecient.

Loatheb is a decent answer to the rampant turn 5 Sludge Belcher, good for fucking up Handlocks' and Huntards' plans and absolutely devastating against Miracle and Freeze Mage when played on the right turn. Keep at all costs.

I'd definitely take out Slam and the Sunwalker. If you have Ysera it's a good addition like Haunted suggested, which leaves you with one slot I'd personally fill with Geddon. He indeed won't help you against a Zookeeper's dream opening but in a relatively even match he often gives you a lot of breathing room with a bit of preparation. Get the opponent's minions into range with a weapon and stuff like Shield Slam and let his AoE do the rest. He demands an immediate answer, often drawing cards like Kill Command which means 5 damage not going to your face.

A Taz'dingo is also pretty nice if you're looking for more early protection.

Spellbreaker should be an Owl imo, much more versatile at 2 mana and 4/3 is a shit body.

Cleave is debatable but can be good if you're facing a lot of Zoo, so YMMV. I've grown a lot less fond of Cairne lately with all the Belchers and Loathebs going around, he just sits there doing nothing too often for how slow of a card he is. In the current meta both Harrison and Gorehowl are likely to get more value than Cairne.

I'm running Sjow's most recent list right now who is the go-to Control Warrior streamer if you ask me:

5zRcp3A.png

Kind of missing the BGH but I know as soon as I put him back in I won't be seeing a single Handlock for days.

Guiz

Thank you very much for the advices.

I'll watch some games of Sjow (didn't know he was playing HS now)
By the way, if you guys want to play some games, it'll be with pleasure.
My B.Net ID : Guiz#2139

caesar

Banned
Grom is like THE card for control warrior, if you don't have him I'm not sure it's really worth it. You can just make so many more plays with him.

slayn

I think its worth pointing out that the alexstrasa plan is not the only way to play warrior. I don't actually play her myself.
This was my latest list:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...46:1;498:1;33:1;503:1;495:1;81:1;7749:2;42:1;

focused more on grinding the opponent out of cards than winning with a grommash combo. Grommash is still the best card in the deck though.

No geddon means it is weaker against paladin/shaman but slam/cleave helps against aggro and this list does really well against priest in my experience. I'm personally not a fan of black knight/harrison because I don't like situational cards that are only good in some matchups. But maybe I'm the only person that tries to play harrison and then gets matched against nothing but warlock/priest and then the priest thoughsteals my harrison.

And the mind control tech is sometimes a big game or sometimes an owl or sometimes a black knight. But mind control tech has been doing alright lately. I find that after a brawl everyone assumes you only play 1 brawl and they feel safe to flood the board. At which point mind control tech can steal the game. And unlike something like harrison in works against every class.

In a sense, MC tech is my second brawl that isn't quite as expensive/dead as a true second brawl.

I look forward to the day that I can cut rag and not have a single creature die to big game hunter.

edit: whoops the spellbreaker should be an owl in my list. I agree with vivioggi there.

ViviOggi

I think its worth pointing out that the alexstrasa plan is not the only way to play warrior. I don't actually play her myself.
This was my latest list:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...46:1;498:1;33:1;503:1;495:1;81:1;7749:2;42:1;

focused more on grinding the opponent out of cards than winning with a grommash combo. Grommash is still the best card in the deck though.

No geddon means it is weaker against paladin/shaman but slam/cleave helps against aggro and this list does really well against priest in my experience. I'm personally not a fan of black knight/harrison because I don't like situational cards that are only good in some matchups. But maybe I'm the only person that tries to play harrison and then gets matched against nothing but warlock/priest

And the mind control tech is sometimes a big game or sometimes an owl or sometimes a black knight. But mind control tech has been doing alright lately.

While it's true that you don't have to run Alex for lethal setups it's so good in CW because it doubles as a lifesaver against Aggro and Zoo trashlords. It put me in the clear after barely surviving until turn 9 way too many times for me to ever consider dropping it.

The nice thing about Harrison is that he's a pretty relevant body played on curve even without the battlecry, so unlike Black Knight he's rarely completely useless.

slayn

While it's true that you don't have to run Alex for lethal setups it's so good in CW because it doubles as a lifesaver against Aggro and Zoo trashlords. It put me in the clear after barely surviving until turn 9 way too many times for me to ever consider dropping it.

The nice thing about Harrison is that he's a pretty relevant body played on curve even without the battlecry, so unlike Black Knight he's rarely completely useless.
I feel like my aggro matchup is good enough that I don't need the extra life. Playing slam, cleave, and mc tech in addition to the usual anti-aggro cards pushes those matchups pretty far in my favor. This is in addition to the fact that I don't play cards that can wind up useless against aggro like black night/harrison.

Really I think all warrior players should give mc tech a spin.

I used to play alex in warrior a lot but as I changed the list more and more I just... found it wasn't needed to really do anything anymore. but YMMV.

ZealousD

So you're playing Druid, it's turn 7, and you have that card in hand, a 6/3 fire elemental on board, 3/1 silenced belcher, you play a FTT between them to clear your hand free of creatures except for KT, and then you play it. What's the worst that can really happen? It pulls Ysera and you trade your board in to it, and then get a 6/5 Fire elemental and a free 1/2 taunt from the belcher and a new Sludge Belcher

Well, first off, no, you don't get the free slime from the Belcher because you already established the Belcher was silenced.

Secondly, this is just another example of magical thinking where you invent scenarios where you come out ahead. You're assuming you can dump your hand to gaurantee the KT. You're assuming you have the correct minions on board the answer any potential threats. You're assuming that your opponent doesn't have anything on his current board that you have to immediately respond to. Youve even assumed the perfect setup for KT with the 3/1 belcher. For every magical thinking scenario you come up with, I could think of 5 where it doesn't make any sense to play the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom