• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in this case, does it have Divine Shield as soon as you play it since you just summoned a Mech? I'm guessing not, but that'd actually make it pretty good if on turn 5 you can play it with a Divine Shield activated.

If that's not the case, it seems like a pretty bad card. You'd have to play it with a mech to get the most out of it.

If it does get the Divine Shield when it's played, it's a pretty good card.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I really don't think it counts itself. Otherwise a warsong commander would give itself charge but it doesn't.

edit: and knife juggler would throw a knife for itself. This most certainly enters the battlefield without divine shield.

CoolOff

I'm 14-0 in Arena today... :O

Started on my NA-account, Druid went 5-0 and cleared all missions, switched to EU and currently 9-0 with a Warrior?!

slayn

Wait, apparently the actual mexican article with the card reveal talks about how the cobalt guardian buffs other minions?

inky

Wait, apparently the actual mexican article with the card reveal talks about how the cobalt guardian buffs other minions?

Yes, that's what is exactly what it says and why I doubted my original interpretation of the text. The writer even speculates you'd probably have to protect it immediately with another card (eg. Hand of Protection, Argent Protector) for it to be useful...

The thing is, even though he played the expansion at Blizzcon, I don't think this card was part of that, so I don't think he's seen it in play. With the pic of the card in English someone else posted now, I'm inclined to believe he is just interpreting the effect that way.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The dream would be to have a stream of mechs give the card divine shield over and over again. Use the card to get serious value in board control. Have a Paladin deck with a bunch of low cost mechs that could buff and rebuff the card. But a deck with a bunch of low cost mechs that has a turn 6-7 dream combo seems week.

If it starts with divine shield, then I think the card gets play. If it starts naked, I don't think it does. But if it starts with divine shield, that's crazy strong for a 5 drop. Which means I'm inclined to believe it starts naked.

I doubt it starts with Divine Shield. It would have it first before the summoning effect. It'd read, "Divine Shield: Whenever you summon a Mech, gain Divine Shield," Or some such.

caesar

Banned
Yeah paladin really needs another 5 drop thats weak vs aggro :kappa:

Ok apparently Brode confirmed it does get shield, nice wording blizzard.

Edit: I think he actually said both on twitter? Wtf

Yeah paladin really needs another 5 drop thats weak vs aggro :kappa:

So every card paladin gets should be strong vs aggro?

You have to remember that paladins are getting more than one card and all the neutral cards as well.

Besides, control is supposed to be vulnerable vs aggro.

Ok apparently Brode confirmed it does get shield, nice wording blizzard.

Edit: I think he actually said both on twitter? Wtf

I think it is pretty clear that it doesn't start with divine shield.

caesar

Banned
So every card paladin gets should be strong vs aggro?

You have to remember that paladins are getting more than one card and all the neutral cards as well.

Besides, control is supposed to be vulnerable vs aggro.

I think it is pretty clear that it doesn't start with divine shield.
It seems a little sad though, I mean compare this with the upgraded repair bot... I know we haven't seen all the cards though. Hey, at least it's not an epic.

Dreavus

The card doesn't seem that great unless you can immediately provide it with divine shield, which means its secretly a 6+ drop (and I don't remember if they've shown any solid 1 mana mechs, so maybe more like 7+). Even then, it doesn't seem that much more amazing than a Sunwalker, provided your opponent opts to try and get rid of it.

If you can get it to stick around then trading it's shield for 6 damage on an opposing minion will lead to a pretty awesome snowball effect, but it seems hard to keep alive.

Anyone know what this says?
g9yacRU.jpg

It'll probably be revealed in like, five minutes though. Just odd because it's on the main site and everything else is English.

Edit: Yeah, just had to hit refresh. Weird that it showed up. There's your aggro card?

slayn

That card is excellent

3/3 creature value AND a weapon. That is really strong.

It works in aggro, midrange, and control as well. And is strong in arena.

egruntz

shelaughz
That card is excellent

3/3 creature value AND a weapon. That is really strong.

It works in aggro, midrange, and control as well. And is strong in arena.

It's not that great. I would prefer a 3/3 minion rather than three 1/1 minions. Too easily cleared. Pyromancer, Arcane Explosion, etc. The weapon is just as good as the 1/4 weapon Paladin already has, only now it has less use, since it's played on turn 3 and minions from that point on really can't be taken care of with a 1/4 weapon.

Not so good in my opinion.
EDIT: Sword of Justice combination is a good mention. Didn't think of that. But then you lose the 1/4 weapon effect of the card, so...
Knife Juggler is another good mention. Meh. Can see some decent play.
Turn 4 Sword of Justice. Turn 5 Knife Juggler + This card. Nice swing with good knife targeting.

That Knife Juggler value.

So, it's possible to take any guess about these weapons. You can only tell that one is for Rogue and the other is for Paladin. Hope the Rogue one gets shown since we just got a Paladin card. It's pretty obvious, but they'll probably have some effect on Mechs. Maybe Rogues will be able to repair their Mechs with that wrench?

ZealousD

That looks more like a Paladin aggro card than a control card. At least 7 damage for three mana.

Too lazy to open up PhotoShop but here;
qnzqx5v.jpg

Also, from what I read, they plan on doing Caster weapons at some point, but not yet.

Edit : Looking closer, they could very well be Priest and Druid weapons, they look brighter than the current outlines, but that could just be the website. It's impossible to tell because they don't have anything to compare to. And again, unless if I imagined it, I don't think they want casters to have weapons yet. That's why they made Blingtron.

ViviOggi

It's kind of like a popped Haunted Creeper plus Light's Justice in one card. Not sure what to think of it. Apparently Control Paladin has trouble dealing with Aggro, so in that regard it's obviously good against 1HP openers, e.g. Leper Gnome/Webspinner, but can't safely deal with the really scary stuff like Undertaker.
Houndmaster and Voidwalker stop it completely. I feel like you'll never want to use one of your precious Equalities with it because the Pyro and Consecrate combos are superior by such a large margin.

I don't play this asshole deck though so I might be completely off.

€: Knife Juggler combo seems good though, maybe we will see the return of Shockadin, the ultimate trashlord deck.

Mirimar

That Knife Juggler value.

So, it's possible to take any guess about these weapons. You can only tell that one is for Rogue and the other is for Paladin. Hope the Rogue one gets shown since we just got a Paladin card. It's pretty obvious, but they'll probably have some effect on Mechs. Maybe Rogues will be able to repair their Mechs with that wrench?

While all 3 knives hit face on turn 3...dat rng lol

slayn

I didn't think it was possible to differentiate weapons. They don't have the class's normal border. So why do people assume paladin/rogue?

edit: oh I never noticed the inner card text colored border before

wouldn't the one on the left be priest then? Looks like priest/druid to me.

It's kind of like a popped Haunted Creeper plus Light's Justice in one card. Not sure what to think of it. Apparently Control Paladin has trouble dealing with Aggro, so in that regard it's obviously good against 1HP openers, e.g. Leper Gnome/Webspinner, but can't safely deal with the really scary stuff like Undertaker.
Houndmaster and Voidwalker stop it completely. I feel like you'll never want to use one of your precious Equalities with it because the Pyro and Consecrate combos are superior by such a large margin.

I don't play this asshole deck though so I might be completely off.

€: Knife Juggler combo seems good though, maybe we will see the return of Shockadin, the ultimate trashlord deck.

The value of just having 3 1/1 bodies on board is really high for this class. It makes wild pyro much less necessary and having another way to make equality work is really welcome.

The best equality value is where you don't need to spend any mana activating it. This means you have the rest of your mana to establish board presence, making 1/1s that are already on board the best equality combo for paladin. Not to mention you can just whack away with your 1/4 weapon.

I can see why people might think this card isn't so great, but as someone who has played paladin enough, I see this as an incredible card.

ViviOggi

The value of just having 3 1/1 bodies on board is really high for this class. It makes wild pyro much less necessary and having another way to make equality work is really welcome.

The best equality value is where you don't need to spend any mana activating it. This means you have the rest of your mana to establish board presence, making 1/1s that are already on board the best equality combo for paladin. Not to mention you can just whack away with your 1/4 weapon.

I can see why people might think this card isn't so great, but as someone who has played paladin enough, I see this as an incredible card.

I see where you're coming from but wouldn't your opponent kill off at least two of the 1/1s immediately when you're trying to go for a two-turn Equality play?

You also can't really play it into common early Control boards like Cleric or Armorsmith/Acolyte, they'll actually be happy about the free cards and armor.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It works on two levels, because those classes are moderately close to their Magic counterparts.

Red -> Anger, aggression
Black -> Poison, deadliness
Blue -> Bit of a stretch but Shamans are good spellcasters
Green -> Beasts
White -> Justice, swarms

slayn

agreed,

I think muster for battle will be a 2 of in like every paladin deck. Not just shockadin.

3 1/1s is *super* annoying to deal with. Have you people not been playing against snake trap?

Shockadin will have combos with it but for mid-range/control its more about just having a strong presense on turn 3. How many slower paladins just hero power on 3? This lets them do something quite strong.

It also makes blessing of kings a much more viable card because they chain into each other. Or late game play them together for a turn 7 5/5 + 2 1/1s and a light's justice. Your opponent is going to be forced to waste their turn clearing out 1/1s or deal with kings.

Having access to light's justice without spending a card for it is also really strong with equality so you don't have to send your creatures into theirs or have another combo piece (pyro/consecrate)

I see where you're coming from but wouldn't your opponent kill off at least two of the 1/1s immediately when you're trying to go for a two-turn Equality play?

You also can't really play it into common early Control boards like Cleric or Armorsmith/Acolyte, they'll actually be happy about the free cards and armor.

Well sure, there are some boards where it isn't great but that is kind of the case with any card. One thing that paladin already has going for it is that it is very good against warrior though, and healthy/armor advantage isn't really gonna turn the match one way or the other in the match up. I've beaten control warriors from 60-70 hp before, who also had card advantage the entire game, with paladin. The main thing you need is to deal with their bombs and heal up after alexstrasza. After that they just lose in fatigue.

You could probably even cause the warrior to burn cards from overdraw if they have an acolyte lol...

Even if it does make the match ups slightly worse, you're still favored I think, by a pretty good margin.

edit:
In fact, I've even played hero power into both acolyte and northshire cleric before, in the early game, because the card advantage isn't what makes paladins lose. And might even tempt them into overextending into equality.

edit:
REGARDING sword of justice, it will work https://twitter.com/bdbrode/status/535146143500365825

ZealousD

This does not replace wild pyro in control paladin. The 1/1s do not have charge so you can't guarantee anything. This is more like a Shockadin card for cheap damage that could combo with knife juggler. It does combo well with equality in aggro Paladin though, since aggro decks can exploit their initiative.

slayn

This does not replace wild pyro in control paladin..
It doesn't replace it in the sense that they do the same thing, no. But cards like this make you more likely to just have dudes in play to not need a pyro in the first place.

And the thing is, yeah 3 1/1s are weak against small AoE, but AoE to clear out 1 health dudes will *always* be good against paladin. It's going to hit you sooner or later in the matchup. And AoE used to clear out these dudes is not being used to clear out the 8 mana you spend on 4 dudes later.

ViviOggi

I think the strongest argument for the card in Control Paladin is that their turn 3 right now is very lacking. What else is there really besides Follow the Rules which you'll want to save for later anyway? I've seen Shades being played in tournaments but that might have just been Reynard, also it doesn't really strenghten your board either. Harvest Golem?

On the other hand the expansion might bring other, more consistent 3s Paladin would want to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom