• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't replace it in the sense that they do the same thing, no. But cards like this make you more likely to just have dudes in play to not need a pyro in the first place.

And the thing is, yeah 3 1/1s are weak against small AoE, but AoE to clear out 1 health dudes will *always* be good against paladin. It's going to hit you sooner or later in the matchup. And AoE used to clear out these dudes is not being used to clear out the 8 mana you spend on 4 dudes later.

This is pretty much what I think. If you draw an AOE off this card, awesome.

And it is better than wild pyro if you can set it up the turn before. If you can't, you can still use the weapon swing to take a minion out and then clean up next turn.

I can see this card getting value even in control matches. Once they've used their aoes, it is quite difficult for control classes to deal with these recruits or recruits from hero power alone. You can literally win fatigue matches off this card alone I think.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I think the strongest argument for the card in Control Paladin is that their turn 3 right now is very lacking. What else is there really besides Follow the Rules which you'll want to save for later anyway? I've seen Shades being played in tournaments but that might have just been Reynard, also it doesn't really strenghten your board either. Harvest Golem?

On the other hand the expansion might bring other, more consistent 3s Paladin would want to use.
Part of it is indeed that their turn 3 play is weak but I think time will show that this is better than 'consistent' 3s.

One strong reason is because this card makes blessing of kings viable. It puts your opponent into a turn 3 dilemma.

Let's say the paladin goes first and plays this on 3. The opponent, on 3 mana, has to clear 3 separate targets or else they risk a charging 5/5 with kings. But killing 3 1/1s, short of a wild pyromancer combo, is really, really hard on 3 mana.

And even moreso its hard to kill 3 1/1s AND pressure the board.

So if you use your turn 3 dealing with the 1/1s and not pressuring the board, the paladin is then allowed to play a power 4 drop. If you don't clear out the 1/1s, the paladin gets to take complete control of the board with a 5/5 charger + weapon.

edit: and even in the wild pyro combo, a paladin is going to be quite pleased that their opponent was forced to burn their pyro combo on turn 3.

edit: and finally, while the dudes don't have charge you can attack with the weapon immediately. So if your opponent plays like an ysera equality + muster is way better than equality + pyro.

edit: god damn I love this card

Skux

Finally some Pally cards!

I really like Muster. It's like a poor man's Unleash the Hounds + Light's Justice. Great for regaining early board control. 3 minions on the board that early is hard to remove and sets you up for buff combos with BoK or Argent Protectors. Makes SoJ more viable - it's always awkward using SoJ on turn 3, it leaves a big hole that is better spent developing the board. You can turn 2 coin + SoJ, then turn 3 muster and end up with 3x 2/2s and a 1/4 weapon.

Cobalt guy will have great synergy with Annoy-o-Tron and Blood Knight. Make an aggro deck with Argent Squire and Argent Commander and get some ridiculous 12/12 Blood Knights.

slayn

So, with Blingtron 3000 and Druid, will activating his hero power destroy the weapon or would it buff with +1 attack?
It adds +1 to the weapon (for that turn). I've seen it happen but forget in what context. Perhaps a sylvanas stealing tirion.

Skux

Late game MfB is super useful too.

Equality - Juggler - MfB, high chance of killing their Rag, Ysera, or Giants, if not you can always ping it with your weapon

Edit - oh shit, pirates!

ViviOggi

After yesterday's obscene Rags the topdick master RDU just got 3-0'd by ekop's Zoo topdicks

Heroes of Cards tournament is everything wrong with Hearthstone in a nutshell but the bullshit keeps happening to exactly the right people so in the end it's as funny as it is disgusting

inky

After yesterday's obscene Rags the topdick master RDU just got 3-0'd by ekop's Zoo topdicks

Heroes of Cards tournament is everything wrong with Hearthstone in a nutshell but the bullshit keeps happening to exactly the right people so in the end it's as funny as it is disgusting

Have you watched the following ekop matches? If not, keep watching.

Dreavus

I'm curious about the order of operations on muster and sword of justice. If it's able to pass a buff along to the recruits before being replaced than the two cards will be pretty awesome together.

Wow... Every time I start to whine about RNG, I will remember this match and think, "at least I'm not Reynad."

I wish so badly we had video of Reynad's face each time he got rekt by RNG. I mean, the guy annoys me with his salty whining, but honestly, I legitimately feel bad for him after this... The odds are pretty terrible.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think the strongest argument for the card in Control Paladin is that their turn 3 right now is very lacking. What else is there really besides Follow the Rules which you'll want to save for later anyway? I've seen Shades being played in tournaments but that might have just been Reynard, also it doesn't really strenghten your board either. Harvest Golem?

On the other hand the expansion might bring other, more consistent 3s Paladin would want to use.

I think HoJ needs a buff to 3 mana. I honestly think its too weak at 4 mana. Most classes have their 3 damage removal at 2 mana, so you are spending a full 2 mana for the card draw.

I think HoJ needs a buff to 3 mana. I honestly think its too weak at 4 mana. Most classes have their 3 damage removal at 2 mana, so you are spending a full 2 mana for the card draw.

You mean hammer of wrath?

HoW is actually appropriately budgeted. Cantrip spells are normally spell damage = mana cost - 1.

Shiv, 2 mana - 1 damage
wrath, 2 mana - 1 damage (card draw choice)
starfire, 6 mana - 5 damage
Can't think of any others atm.

And card draw is generally worth about 1.5 to 2 mana. Gnomish inventor has 6 points of stats, which places it between a 2 and 3 cost minion. Arcane intellect draw 2 cards for 3 mana.

ZealousD

You mean hammer of wrath?

HoW is actually appropriately budgeted. Cantrip spells are normally spell damage = mana cost - 1.

Shiv, 2 mana - 1 damage
wrath, 2 mana - 1 damage (card draw choice)
starfire, 6 mana - 5 damage
Can't think of any others atm.

And card draw is generally worth about 1.5 to 2 mana. Gnomish inventor has 6 points of stats, which places it between a 2 and 3 cost minion. Arcane intellect draw 2 cards for 3 mana.

Well, honestly I'm a bit of the opinion that shiv and starfire are also rather weak, and wrath is only good because you're more likely to choose 3 damage with it. Shiv is only in Miracle Rogue because the deck thrives on both spells and cycles, and few people run starfire in constructed.

Meanwhile, look at Mortal Coil. It's a 1 damage with card draw for 1 mana. The only "drawback" here is that you have to kill a minion with it, so it can't attack the face. But with most removal spells, you're looking to kill minions with them anyways, so that's more than a fair trade.

I'm in the mood to play an all basic deck on EU. Gonna go with paladin. Starting at rank 21 since the last time I played on EU I got to rank 15 or something before being bored.

edit:
Oh boy, I am missing 8 cards due to being level 1 paladin lol

Mirimar

I'm in the mood to play an all basic deck on EU. Gonna go with paladin. Starting at rank 21 since the last time I played on EU I got to rank 15 or something before being bored.

edit:
Oh boy, I am missing 8 cards due to being level 1 paladin lol

Can't imagine what it'd be like starting from scratch now...There's no way to reach legend with a basic deck post-naxx. Always had fun watching Trump do legend runs with basic decks. Sad the most they can probably go now is maybe low teens.

Can't imagine what it'd be like starting from scratch now...There's no way to reach legend with a basic deck post-naxx. Always had fun watching Trump do legend runs with basic decks. Sad the most they can probably go now is maybe low teens.

He never did a legend run with a basic deck I think. He did do runs with f2p accounts meaning cards from achievements and 1 arena run or something though, and cards earned along the way.

I might have to allow some commons. I don't know how I can beat mad scientist consistently lol.

edit:
But then again, I just got consecrate so maybe I am fine.

Muster for Battle is a fantastic card and will likely be a staple in every Pally deck going forward.

Cobalt Guardian is absolute garbage.

Hah, beat an enrage warrior deck with rag that brought me to 9 hp (still no guardian of kings so no life gain other than truesilver champion) while he was at like 40 hp. I ended up getting a max size frostwolf warlord (10/10) with a stormwind champion out... so I had a 5 mana thaddius lol.

Dude had a 4/4 berserker on turn 3, into a 4/6 armorsmith from rampage after I coined out truesilver champ.

edit:
So basically, my experience thus far is far different than people have basically always claimed. People claim top decks are being played at low ranks 20-25... I haven't seen one deck that would constitute that. I haven't even seen a lot of legendary cards. A lot of cheesey decks though. Like this priest deck I just played was running mana addict and he had a 1/7 by turn 3 and was doing about 3-6 damage per a turn with it. Then had a deathlord to protect it, but it dropped into hammer of wrath range... 4 mana to deal with a 1/3 lol... But then I got a little bit lucky with getting a stormwind champ off the deathlord when I managed to take it out and cleared board (since he refused to hit my minions even once lol). And later he played maexna and tried to wombo combo off it, but was stopped by a single taunt while I smashed his face in.

johnsmith

remember me
Hah, beat an enrage warrior deck with rag that brought me to 9 hp (still no guardian of kings so no life gain other than truesilver champion) while he was at like 40 hp. I ended up getting a max size frostwolf warlord (10/10) with a stormwind champion out... so I had a 5 mana thaddius lol.

Dude had a 4/4 berserker on turn 3, into a 4/6 armorsmith from rampage after I coined out truesilver champ.

edit:
So basically, my experience thus far is far different than people have basically always claimed. People claim top decks are being played at low ranks 20-25... I haven't seen one deck that would constitute that. I haven't even seen a lot of legendary cards. A lot of cheesey decks though. Like this priest deck I just played was running mana addict and he had a 1/7 by turn 3 and was doing about 3-6 damage per a turn with it. Then had a deathlord to protect it, but it dropped into hammer of wrath range... 4 mana to deal with a 1/3 lol... But then I got a little bit lucky with getting a stormwind champ off the deathlord when I managed to take it out and cleared board (since he refused to hit my minions even once lol). And later he played maexna and tried to wombo combo off it, but was stopped by a single taunt while I smashed his face in.
I don't know about sub 20 but a lot of it has to do with it being so late in the season. First week or two and you'll see nothing but netdecks at rank 19 or 20.

Mirimar

He never did a legend run with a basic deck I think. He did do runs with f2p accounts meaning cards from achievements and 1 arena run or something though, and cards earned along the way.

I might have to allow some commons. I don't know how I can beat mad scientist consistently lol.

edit:
But then again, I just got consecrate so maybe I am fine.

Ah, that's right, it was that distinction, F2P deck and dusting everything to make the cards he needed. Would be pretty hard to do that now.

Slashlen

I don't know about sub 20 but a lot of it has to do with it being so late in the season. First week or two and you'll see nothing but netdecks at rank 19 or 20.

I'd have to agree with this. I never really climb out of the teens, and there's a real difficulty spike when the month changes and everyone's trying to climb back out of the low ranks.

I still see people complain even this late in the season though. They're just complaining about card rarity though and thinking its some awesome deck that is beating them.

Hardest match so far is a shaman bot lol. It is possible it isn't a bot though, just weird line of play and I'm not paying attention much. I have seen bots rope out though.

Definitely a bot, dude just had all the telltale signs and let me bm him for about a minute while I played everything before smacking my 10/10 frostwolf warlord into his face.

I'm facing some handlock player without equality or even aldor peace keeper... he is so bad but he is gonna probably win anyway lol.

If I can somehow manage to get a big board and drop stormwind champion I can win though.

edit:
Wow, this guy has the full handlock deck and he is only rank 18 lmao... the deck practically plays itself.

bunbun777

Did I just play Trump? idk

se7exNq.png

Rbu8HU0.png

Was my 2nd arena match.

Been getting pretty lucky with packs. Just used 100 gold and got this.

Got a Golden Antonidas about a week ago, too. I've seen a couple of decks run Hogger, but I'm happy I got this because I've been collecting golden legendaries and I didn't have a Hogger (golden or reg) before this pack. lol

He is streaming wow right now.

Same thing happened to me. Played somebody named Trump. I got all anxious then checked his stream and he was on WoW.

So I think I just played the worst player I've ever seen in arena. He opens by coining eviscerate straight to the face. I drop raging worgen T3 intending to ping him on the next turn. He responds by dropping Leper Gnome then I see another evis come up and I figure my worgen is gone. Nope... he throws evis straight to the face again then uses his 1 dmg dagger to attack the worgen. I'm like, "no way... you did not just do that!"

Ping his leper gnome next turn then drop mirror image and let the worgen go to town. I kind of felt bad for the guy.

Haunted

Since Blizzard allows duplicate names, there's plenty of people copying popular streamer/player names on the ladder. Same thing in Dota.

The amount of times I've played with and against Dendi...

caesar

Banned
Golden Rouge player usually = mechanically good at the game.

Golden Warlock = zoo bot, or was. Same for Shaman.

Golden Hunter = fuck u scum

Golden pally = ok thats dedicati.. zzz

Golden mage = that fireblast looks pretty

Golden druid = probably started when Druid wss dominant

Golden warrior = control warrior

Golden Priest = eh doesn't really tell you much, likes to trade

Minsc

Gold Member
Any golden player you see now actually should be someone who hasn't botted (excessively anyway). Going forward, anyone golden players you see with this month's card back should mean the same thing, so if you are playing a golden warlock/whatever, just pay attention to what card back they're using I guess.

slayn

I have golden warlock and warrior at this point without any kind of botting. Just playing since release. And I'm at like 300 wins on hunter although I hate current hunter so that number isn't going up any time soon. And then I have like 5 wins on druid because fuck druid.

I play almost exclusively Warrior and I'm getting close to my Golden Warrior. Been playing since April. Can't wait to get it. Been collecting golden Warrior cards as well so I can be swagged completely out when I get there. lol

caesar

Banned
I have golden warlock and warrior at this point without any kind of botting. Just playing since release. And I'm at like 300 wins on hunter although I hate current hunter so that number isn't going up any time soon. And then I have like 5 wins on druid because fuck druid.

Yeah not every warlock is botting obviously but I do always think, ok that's 90% a zoo when I see the golden portrait. Golden warrior is pretty cool though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Did I just play Trump? idk

Was my 2nd arena match.

I believe trump tag is trumpsc but im not 100% sure

BTW i watched a bit of the Applejacked stream, dude is super super informative on his plays.
Definitely a new 'must watch' for me.

Still: F O R S E N B O Y S

ZealousD

Presumably the hunter will be getting more high costs beasts to pair this with? Otherwise, the only thing you'd be fishing for is Highmane.

Snapjaw or Tundra Rhino pairs pretty well. Or maybe Core Hound or The Beast for lols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom