• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Snapjaw or Tundra Rhino pairs pretty well. Or maybe Core Hound or The Beast for lols.

Tiger is pretty good too, I suppose. And maybe this makes King Krush playable? Think I'd still rather run Flare though. It's cheaper and the potential to kill a secret is better than ramping out a high cost beast IMO.

egruntz

shelaughz
Hunter Spell
Cost 2
Rare
Draw a card, if it's a Beast it costs (4) less.

I don't think this kind of card works well for Hunter. Was really hoping for something different. I sort of hate this kind of card too. If I don't pull a minion, it's just a wasted card and 2 mana. If I do pull a minion, it has to be beast, and it has to be high enough cost to even be worth it.

Dumb. Not for Hunter. I was hoping for a solid 4 drop or better trap.

Yeah, seems kind of odd since I feel like most Hunter decks run a lower curve for aggression. There was at one point a control Hunter deck that was somewhat popular, so maybe that'll make a comeback. It's kind of nice since if no one is running secrets, then you can easily sub Flare out for this, then switch them around when you need to.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Tiger is pretty good too, I suppose. And maybe this makes King Krush playable? Think I'd still rather run Flare though. It's cheaper and the potential to kill a secret is better than ramping out a high cost beast IMO.

It doesn't really fit in this undertaker meta where a deathrattle is favored over a beast.

egruntz

shelaughz
It doesn't really fit in this undertaker meta where a deathrattle is favored over a beast.

Well, clearly it doesn't match our current meta, but with this expansion, the meta will undergo drastic changes. Judging this card by itself, I think it's utter trash, particularly for Hunter, but it may be indication of the type of cards they'll be dishing out for Hunter in this upcoming expansion. Maybe they want to finally give King Krush, Gladiator Bow, and Bestial Wrath some use by adding more reasons to play control Hunter? We'll see. This card alone won't do the trick.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
it's a decent enough card but doesn't work in current hunter decks. It would be for some kind of control hunter playing high end beasts the likes of which we've never seen before. Where the hunter uses their hero power not for aggression but for inevitability.

This is the first hunter card we've seen so maybe all the expansion hunter cards will be control cards to try and balance the class out a bit more.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Generally with expansion packs I imagine Blizzard's primary goal is to increase the number of strategies in use rather than just give more cards to the existing ones.

Like Mad Scientist got a lot more secrets in use and then things like Sludge Belcher were to help slow down the game from incredibly fast paced aggression.

slayn

I expect it to come out right before christmas break. You finish your release, provide a few days before break to fix any catastrophic problems before everyone goes on vacation, and then go on vacation post release.

Looking at the base card set commonly used in this Hunter meta, the new card isn't that bad. Only beasts you don't want to draw with it are Webspinner and Haunted Creeper. Pulling an early Highmane could be worth it alone, especially since Highmane has deathrattle. A slower deck that runs Kodo, Tiger or even...Maexxna? Certainly worth a test.

Hunter Spell
Cost 2
Rare
Draw a card, if it's a Beast it costs (4) less.

Automatically a solid card with the bolded text, but it's too slow for aggro Hunter.

When you think about it, how many beasts are there for Hunter to draw into that are worth more than 2 other than Highmane?

Ideally you'd be drawing into a 3 or 4 mana beast on turn two or one if you have coin, allowing you to ramp.

Malice215

I'm ready for this expansion and the Android version to come out. I'm tired of waiting.

As for that Hunter card, I think it's more important to destroy a secret, plus I rather not pray to RNGesus to get decent value out of it, but it opens up some interesting possibilities.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Knows the "Beast minions" theme for Hunters doesn't work like they want it to.
Makes cards for that archetype anyway.

Good job Blizzard, way to totally ignore how your game is actually played.

egruntz

shelaughz

It's only one card. Do we have any word on how many each class should be given in this upcoming expansion? They still have room to redirect the Hunter class, or at least refine its current intended function.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, that's the idea, no? To try and make it work better. They might have a variety of other cards to that effort to boot.

slayn

It's only one card. Do we have any word on how many each class should be given in this upcoming expansion? They still have room to redirect the Hunter class, or at least refine its current intended function.
No, but so far for warrior which has the most known we see:
1 common, 2 rare, 1 epic
Each class is (I hope) going to get a new legendary. And it seems unlikely that each class will only get 1 common (in fact we know this because priest has 2 commons revealed). So at a minimum I would expect every class to get:
2 common, 2 rare, 1 epic, 1 legendary = 6 cards / class = 54 / 120 cards are class cards. If each class gets 3 commons instead, then its 63 / 120 cards are class cards.

I've continued my basic EU paladin run today. Still not seeing all the top level meta decks. I've only seen 1 handlock and 1 miracle rogue. Lost to the handlock by a fairly close margin. Creamed the miracle rogue.

edit:
Not even seeing undertaker... amazing.

slayn

So weird, rank 21 to 15... not a single undertaker.

It is almost as if you put undertaker in your deck you automatically hit rank 10 lol
undertaker decks are so dead simple to play that doesn't surprise me. Not to say hunter is completely devoid of skill (a lot of those same people probably get stuck at rank 5), but a badly played undertaker hunter will take you a lot further than a badly played zoo deck for example.

Love playing priest since i got all Nax cards. Nothing more satisfying then thought steal 2 of your opponents best cards or a third sludge belcher.

I had a Priest steal my Armorsmith, Ghoul, Shield Slam and Gorehowl the other day. Utter nonsense.

Yeah it is a bit dickish but its damn funny, when you pull some good cards. Best was when i copied a Paladin's Tirion and faceless manipulator. I still want to make a fun deck with Lorewalker Cho.

gutshot

Couple new cards from Blizzard:

VKZ9GYFI3TM31416425259184.jpg

L1CMMR46IIY81416425259190.jpg

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en...rer=http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/

^woah, battlecry and deathrattle... OP! lol

Mech Bear Cat - how to overdraw on 1 mana overcosted cards.

edit^

Ever since I completed the deck (the last card needed was actually blessing of kings), my winrate went from 68.75% to 80%. Currently rank 15 - 3 stars, on a 5 win streak that started with beating a miracle rogue.

I've mainly suffered losses to aggro, but weird aggro like a rogue opening with 2 decksea hands into that pirate that gives +1/+1 to it. Or a hunter playing that 3/3 bear taunt for 3cc. That 3/3 taunt seems popular at low ranks.

Mad scientist has also been a big thorn but I have luckily seen very few of them. For some reason I am seeing a kind of midrange/burn mage with alexstrasza and/or pyro, but being paladin I just heal up out of range. I have big bodies they waste fireballs and frostbolts on. I even played guardian of kings into a mirror entity (I wanted to speed things up, I had no small drops... then I drew a SSC next turn...), and still won by a fairly large margin. He even pyroblasted my 8/8 frostwolf warlord.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mech-bear-cat, meet Avenger's Wrath.
Well, that's the idea, no? To try and make it work better. They might have a variety of other cards to that effort to boot.

A few cards aren't going to fix the class design dissonance, especially not cards as weak as "Draw a card, play a beast".

This game just has too much AoE and direct damage for a swarm strategy unless you can reliably replenish your resources somehow *coughzoocough*

I believe that the game would have be redesigned from the ground up for Beast Hunter to work. Or for Beasts to be pushed to high heaven with massive health, some kind of "AoE avoidance" like pets in WoW, or Immunity as a common Beast mechanic.

I'm waiting for a minion that reads "Whenever you play a Spare Part, this minion gains +1/+1." Make it a 1 mana 1/2 Mech and suddenly you have an insanely awesome reason to nab Spare Parts as much as possible.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm waiting for a minion that reads "Whenever you play a Spare Part, this minion gains +1/+1." Make it a 1 mana 1/2 Mech and suddenly you have an insanely awesome reason to nab Spare Parts as much as possible.

I call it the Partstaker.

A few cards aren't going to fix the class design dissonance, especially not cards as weak as "Draw a card, play a beast".

This game just has too much AoE and direct damage for a swarm strategy unless you can reliably replenish your resources somehow *coughzoocough*

I believe that the game would have be redesigned from the ground up for Beast Hunter to work. Or for Beasts to be pushed to high heaven with massive health, some kind of "AoE avoidance" like pets in WoW, or Immunity as a common Beast mechanic.
Right, there certainly have been failed attempts at reviving strategies before, but I just meant in terms of what they introduce that seems to be the thought process.

slayn

If I go by the assumption that a spare part is worth about half a card:

mech bear cat is.... soso. Unfortunately it will die a lot without its power ever coming into effect (bgh, hex, brawl, and so forth). Sometimes it will draw a spare part. It feels just slightly not good enough. It's also unfortunate that druid typically doesn't have BGH targets and they wouldn't want to start including one now.

Toshley though seems really good. 5/7 draw a card (half now, half later)
5 attack is perfect for killing most anything, and 7 health is really hard to kill. I know this, because injured blademaster circle even late game is often hell to kill.

I would play toshley over cairne in every deck ever.

johnsmith

remember me

Beast hunter already worked until they nerfed buzzard. It's been the top meta deck multiple times.

Seriously, still bad players and decks at rank 14. I finally thought I was getting to a legitimate priest control deck. Then the priest uses divine spirit and innerfire on a cabal shadow priest (right after I used my only humility on it). Then instead of killing my chillwind yeti, he hits face. lol. I then used double blessing of kings on the yeti. But who am I kidding actually, I just remembered the priest used mind blast on turn 4 and nothing else. And he had alexstrasza and no follow up burst. Who the fuck uses mind blast on turn 4 when you plan on using alexstrasza... lmao. And he wasted cabal shadow priest on a recruit.

slayn

mech bear cat also represents a liability, if you can fill the druid's hand with spare parts so that they can't draw real cards that is really bad.

I didn't notice at first but the top mech is a druid card. Interesting. No idea what kind of deck that would fit in. Possibly control I guess. I guess the vulnerability to BGH will put people off this card.

Also, if any class can make use of a big body, it is druid due to wild growth and innervate. You likely won't have a full hand as well when using it that way. 6 hp makes it pretty sturdy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom