• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

mech bear cat also represents a liability, if you can fill the druid's hand with spare parts so that they can't draw real cards that is really bad.

We'll have to wait and see how mechs in druids play out. They already have a good 2 cost minion and bear cat could be effective with proper synergy. Plus there are other druid cards we have yet to uncover.

We'll have to wait and see how mechs in druids play out. They already have a good 2 cost minion and bear cat could be effective with proper synergy. Plus there are other druid cards we have yet to uncover.

We even have to consider mech synergy itself from neutral cards. Mechwarper drops this cost to 5, and a 7/6 for 5 is really good. You can potentially get this guy out on turn 3 with a mechwarper on board plus innervate. Sure, you spend a lot of cards getting them out, but you do recover some card value as it trades and takes damage.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Sure, I didn't mean to infer that its a bad card. It's fine, but I think it isn't quite good enough just to play as a good card. Like I don't think you would just slot this into a current ramp druid deck. It needs mech synergy to make sense. But its definitely playable in a mech deck.

Unlike Toshley which is just a great card without any other required synnergy.

egruntz

shelaughz
VKZ9GYFI3TM31416425259184.jpg

L1CMMR46IIY81416425259190.jpg

Mech-Bear-Cat's susceptibility to Big Game Hunter is bothersome, but otherwise, it's pretty decent. Its main issue I think is irrelevance to the Druid class. None of the spare parts have much synergy with Druid's strategies, and as far as bodies go, there are much better 6 drops available. Hell, if Spare Parts is your goal, Toshley is the better option, considering at least a single part is guaranteed. Slightly better stat distribution, too. I don't see Mech-Bear-Cat drawing more than two parts on average as it is, so I guess I'm missing why you'd run it over Toshley.

Sure, I didn't mean to infer that its a bad card. It's fine, but I think it isn't quite good enough just to play as a good card. Like I don't think you would just slot this into a current ramp druid deck. It needs mech synergy to make sense. But its definitely playable in a mech deck.

Unlike Toshley which is just a great card without any other required synnergy.

I think Toshley is a little bit underwhelming. Sure, you get like half a card off it added to your deck between both battlecry and deathrattle... Maybe even a full card of value if you get lucky. The stats are alright. But I'm not sure if it can do enough to justify a slot. It is a bit better than boulderfist ogre, but not by a lot imo.

Mech-Bear-Cat's susceptibility to Big Game Hunter is bothersome, but otherwise, it's pretty decent. Its main issue I think is irrelevance to the Druid class. None of the spare parts have much synergy with Druid's strategies, and as far as bodies go, there are much better 6 drops available. Hell, if Spare Parts is your goal, Toshley is the better option, considering at least a single part is guaranteed. Slightly better stat distribution, too. I don't see Mech-Bear-Cat drawing more than two parts on average as it is, so I guess I'm missing why you'd run it over Toshley.

Well Toshley isn't a mech.

CoolOff

Is Toshley the first card that adds a card to your hand when you cast it? Wild Growth at 10 mana sort of does I guess, and Thoughtsteal, but not in the same way.

egruntz

shelaughz
Is Toshley the first card that adds a card to your hand when you cast it? Wild Growth at 10 mana sort of does I guess, and Thoughtsteal, but not in the same way.

Novice Engineer, Gnomish Inventor, etc.
A familiar mechanic. This one is closer to Ysera/Webspinner/Thoughtsteal/ETC, though, since it draws uncollectable cards.

And yeah, Mech-Bear-Cat is a mech and Toshley isn't. Good point. Think Druid will have much use for mechs?

Playing Hunter for a daily, today I lived the turn one Webspinner -> King Krush dream for exact lethal on turn 9. Against a Golden Paladin too, which I've never seen before.

slayn

I think Toshley is a little bit underwhelming. Sure, you get like half a card off it added to your deck between both battlecry and deathrattle... Maybe even a full card of value if you get lucky. The stats are alright. But I'm not sure if it can do enough to justify a slot. It is a bit better than boulderfist ogre, but not by a lot imo.
I think toshley is better than cairne for example. If we consider cairne a 4/10, 5/7 is a much better stat distribution. Cairne is sileceable, but requires two hits to kill otherwise. So its a loss of 2 stats. On the other hand:
you get 2 spare parts (toshley will almost never be silenced) and 5 attack vs 4 is a big deal. 5 damage is kind of a sweet spot (at least right now) as everything good as 5 health.

This is why warlocks don't play shadow bolt. 4 damage sucks.

He can kill the front part of a highmane for example and live. He can kill loatheb and live, kill the front half of belchers, and if played on 7 you have decent odds of a strong 'enter play' effect like gaining taunt, or freezing the enemy's most powerful minion.

in general gaining a spare part on battlecry gives you flexibility in terms of playing the creature on curve.

egruntz

shelaughz
I think toshley is better than cairne for example. If we consider cairne a 4/10, 5/7 is a much better stat distribution. Cairne is sileceable, but requires two hits to kill otherwise. So its a loss of 2 stats. On the other hand:
you get 2 spare parts (toshley will almost never be silenced) and 5 attack vs 4 is a big deal. 5 damage is kind of a sweet spot (at least right now) as everything good as 5 health.

He can kill the front part of a highmane for example and live. He can kill loatheb and live, kill the front half of belchers, and if played on 7 you have decent odds of a strong 'enter play' effect like gaining taunt, or freezing the enemy's most powerful minion.

in general gaining a spare part on battlecry gives you flexibility in terms of playing the creature on curve.

Excellent points. Very true.
Seems he'll have more utility as a turn 7 drop.

I actually think the only good thing about cairne is that he draws out silence and sometimes hex/poly. When he does that, he has filled his role imo. After naxx cairne was pretty much reduced to a subpar card imho, due to cards like sludge belcher and the fact that sylvanas played second will steal baine. Cairne was a great minion to drop on uncontested or against a weaker board, but even sylvanas now changes that.

5/7 is better than cairne, but I'm not sure if he would be ran over cards that have more board impact, immediate or otherwise. Also just adding a legendary to your deck makes it a bit less consistent. I'm not certain of the gains are good enough. It is basically a boulderfist ogre with some measure of extra card value. I guess worth it if you can make use of the parts well. They just seem very low impact though.

mech bear cat also represents a liability, if you can fill the druid's hand with spare parts so that they can't draw real cards that is really bad.

I see some great videos of Priests ruining a Druid's day. That, or the rare chance a Mill Rogue faces one of these guys.

caesar

Banned
Just went on tilt bad at rank 2, instead of stopping playing after I lost 2 I carried on getting my handlock rekt by hunters and now I'm rank 4 again. New dawn, new day.

Not impressed by those cards really, mech bear cat could be interesting in miracle druid if it wasn't so expensive.

Finally beat the Paladin class challenge. =)

Then read it was nerfed/the player's deck was buffed. =(

Still, nice to finally have all the Naxx cards.

Special C

Let's speculate what cards will be retroactively designated as mechs.

Here are the possibilities I can think of

Alarm-O-Bot
Harvest Golem
Mr Bitey
Demolisher
Geblin Tokens
Arcane Golem (Are Golems Mechs?)
War Golem (Are Golems Mechs?)
Reckless Rocketeer (This one is a strech)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I've always wondered about warlock decks that run that card...why??

I guess for the warlock mirror? If you're a handlock facing zoo or the handlock mirror it's honestly not that bad a card. And the only risk you take is against priest.

slayn

It can be pretty powerful with jaraxxus (against not priest) because you can hero power and eat the infernal to help stabilize.

Volimar

That feeling when you summon Leeroy to finish off your opponent, forgetting that he has a Knife Juggler and both hits kill your Leeroy...

I have a theory, people REALLLY HATE losing to control paladin. Not only are the matches quite long, but the perception that it is a bad class that can't hold its own is like pouring salt in their wounds. I swear, I get the saltiest players who rope out while playing as paladin. This control warrior probably thought I made a mistake when I ran into his acolyte 3 times. I was literally in an unlosable position and just wanted to speed things up.

So finally, on like turn 12, he has like 1 cards left undrawn. Already lost rag. Already used brawl. He finally uses alexstrasza, to which I respond with guardian of kings, holy light, humility... with another aldor in hand for gromm, an equality for ysera... he ropes out the rest of the game.

br3wnor

Got Malygos a few days ago from a pack so finally gave miracle rogue a shot.

Man is it fun. I've done mostly unranked past couple days to really get a feel for it, but as long as I stay alive and can make it to the end with Maly + sinister strike + prep + blade furry it's usually GG.

Main thing that sucks obviously is when you can't draw Maly or that prep/sinister strike, or whatever but I had one game against a Hunter who got me down to like 6 health, he had about 23-24 hp. Turn 10 I drop Maly + sinister strike + prep + blade furry (5 damage buffed assassins blade) + prep + sinister strike, GG.

Have no idea how I'll fare in ranked play, and it's such a boom or bust deck but it's pretty great to lethal people with 18+ HP who definitely think they're winning the match before Maly drops.

Volimar

Malygos Rogue might as well be called fuck you rogue. You thought you won? Nope, Malygos followed by 'how can you do so much damage with 2 mana' death.

You deserve it for playing control paladin on ladder.

To be fair, the matches aren't THAT much longer in terms of turns at least.

Lol I lied. Last priest match went to turn 25. But again, to be fair, that priest lost 15 turns before it actually ended. I don't blame him/her for trying though, because he/she was running double mind control.

My win vs the warrior was only 19 turns though.

And the stupid match against the first priest of the day was 25 turns as well lol... I lost in fatigue cause I fucked up big time using humility on cairne forgetting that he was taking 2 damage from consecrate putting him into range of actually being killed off. I lost by 1 turn because of that. And like 5 of that were in fatigue so they lasted seconds.

At least the win vs zoo only lasted til turn 10, cause he can easily recognize when he has lost (I had sunwalker + kelthuzad up with him top decking, and then I played a guardian of kings.

edit:
What can I say though, paladin is a helluva lot of fun. People just need to become psychic and figure out when they've lost 15 turns before they actually lose. I don't run bombs like rag. I don't even run avenging wrath atm. I have no reliable way to close out a match except by an impenetrable taunt wall forcing my opponent to concede, or more likely fatiguing them out.

edit2:
NICE, this midrange mage figured out he lost on turn 10. Some people do have brains.

ShinNL

To be fair, the matches aren't THAT much longer in terms of turns at least.

Lol I lied. Last priest match went to turn 25. But again, to be fair, that priest lost 15 turns before it actually ended. I don't blame him/her for trying though, because he/she was running double mind control.

My win vs the warrior was only 19 turns though.

And the stupid match against the first priest of the day was 25 turns as well lol... I lost in fatigue cause I fucked up big time using humility on cairne forgetting that he was taking 2 damage from consecrate putting him into range of actually being killed off. I lost by 1 turn because of that. And like 5 of that were in fatigue so they lasted seconds.

At least the win vs zoo only lasted til turn 10, cause he can easily recognize when he has lost (I had sunwalker + kelthuzad up with him top decking, and then I played a guardian of kings.

edit:
What can I say though, paladin is a helluva lot of fun. People just need to become psychic and figure out when they've lost 15 turns before they actually lose. I don't run bombs like rag. I don't even run avenging wrath atm. I have no reliable way to close out a match except by an impenetrable taunt wall forcing my opponent to concede, or more likely fatiguing them out.

edit2:
NICE, this midrange mage figured out he lost on turn 10. Some people do have brains.
How does your list look like? I have a healadin and a giantadin (giandin?), both of them doesn't seal games that fast. Do you run low mana minions?

How does your list look like? I have a healadin and a giantadin (giandin?), both of them doesn't seal games that fast. Do you run low mana minions?

I am currently running 2 haunted creepers, and 2 wild pyros, 2 harvest golems, 2 aldors, those are my 2-3 drops. No 1 drops atm.

Four drops are tazdingo, 1 spellbreaker.

So not many small minions.

I can paste the list in a bit though if you want.

caesar

Banned
I have a theory, people REALLLY HATE losing to control paladin. Not only are the matches quite long, but the perception that it is a bad class that can't hold its own is like pouring salt in their wounds. I swear, I get the saltiest players who rope out while playing as paladin. This control warrior probably thought I made a mistake when I ran into his acolyte 3 times. I was literally in an unlosable position and just wanted to speed things up.

So finally, on like turn 12, he has like 1 cards left undrawn. Already lost rag. Already used brawl. He finally uses alexstrasza, to which I respond with guardian of kings, holy light, humility... with another aldor in hand for gromm, an equality for ysera... he ropes out the rest of the game.
And then you ragquit after losing to 9/10 hunters/zoolocks.

Haunted

Proud I finally saved up over 1000 gold for the expansion.

Watched a random Trump video, he casually mentions that he has 10000 gold.

;_;

ShinNL

I am currently running 2 haunted creepers, and 2 wild pyros, 2 harvest golems, 2 aldors, those are my 2-3 drops. No 1 drops atm.

Four drops are tazdingo, 1 spellbreaker.

So not many small minions.

I can paste the list in a bit though if you want.
Ah no that's fine, thanks for the info. I was curious because my minion curve doesn't start that early and I rely quite heavily on clears, since I really lack board presence for like the first 4 turns.

Maybe I should be less greedy myself because I know my deck can make a Warlock in Jaraxxus mode go into fatigue with 10 cards left in his deck, but really, how many times does that happen? But it's just so awesome to slam big creatures one after another.

And then you ragquit after losing to 9/10 hunters/zoolocks.

Haven't lost to one yet. Will I lose against them sometimes? Sure. But I'm not seeing many at all.

I'm pretty good at those match ups tbh. It is all about baiting out silence and winning with tirion or another taunt. I know what I need and people aren't familiar with what they need so they often make mistakes.

At least those matches will almost always be very short.

edit:
awesome!
70% winrate at rank 5 but I still am only gaining like 1.5 stars per an hour lol (I do often take 5-10 minute breaks between matches though, it is the only way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom