• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

Keep Noz until you're really sure of what the meta is going to be like after GvG and are absolutely sure you know what you want to dust it for. Feign Death is a Hunter-only card.

Yeah scratch my advice, just keep the cards until GvG. I haven't seen anything pointing to Nozdormu becoming even remotely playable but there's really no reason to de them right away.

Xanathus

Here's one more combo with Feign Death, Explosive Sheep becomes a 5 mana Auchenai Circle. You would definitely see that combo in a Control Hunter deck.

Here's one more combo with Feign Death, Explosive Sheep becomes a 5 mana Auchenai Circle. You would definitely see that combo in a Control Hunter deck.

I think explosive sheep is only 2 mana. So it would be a 4 mana for 4 damage aoe in 2 pieces. I think that is alright. Auchenai + circle is still better though because it leaves behind a 3/1 auchenai.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Yeah people thinking the card is great in current hunter are overreacting. 2 mana and a card are not worth the deathrattles on aggro stuff like leper and creeper. It is unplayably bad in undertaker hunter. But the card has promise in an entirely new, slower hunter deck

egruntz

shelaughz
Heard a rumor from work that Rogue is getting an Ambush card that puts her hero into stealth for 1 turn. Cannot be targeted by spells, hero powers, or minions. If she attacks out of it with a weapon that same turn, she gets +5 damage on that attack. 4 mana.

Take it with a grain of salt. Coming from a coworker who used to work at Blizzard 1 year ago.

Heard a rumor from work that Rogue is getting an Ambush card that puts her hero into stealth for 1 turn. Cannot be targeted by spells, hero powers, or minions. If she attacks out of it with a weapon that same turn, she gets +5 damage on that attack. 4 mana.

Take it with a grain of salt. Coming from a coworker who used to work at Blizzard 1 year ago.

lie.gif

ViviOggi

Yeah people thinking the card is great in current hunter are overreacting. 2 mana and a card are not worth the deathrattles on aggro stuff like leper and creeper. It is unplayably bad in undertaker hunter. But the card has promise in an entirely new, slower hunter deck
I don't know, on those two it's not worth playing but the other two low deathrattle drops are Webspinner and Scientist. You often have at least one of those plus a Gnome or Spiderino on the board on 4, a turn that is always awkward for UT Huntard. Dropping another deathrattle and Feign Death is pretty good value when the alternative is hero power. Finding a slot for at least one copy won't be an issue.

slayn

I don't know, on those two it's not worth playing but the other two low deathrattle drops are Webspinner and Scientist. You often have at least one of those plus a Gnome or Spiderino on the board on 4, a turn that is always awkward for UT Huntard. Dropping another deathrattle and Feign Death is pretty good value when the alternative is hero power. Finding a slot for at least one copy won't be an issue.
2 mana: play a random secret from your deck when you already have a mad scientist in play is a bad card. You'd much rather play a 3/4 mana minion and keep up the aggression. I'd rather play an animal companion or a hounmaster for example. Situations that people dream up where this card is good in an aggro deck are situations where the hunter has already won.

Dreavus

Lil' Exorcist feels like it comes down a bit too late to deal with the things it's supposed to deal with. Is taunt essential on that thing? Maybe 2 mana, same effect, lose the taunt?

That hunter card looks awesome. Seeing it stacked up against those other class epics leaves a lot to be desired by those other class epics, tbh.

G.ZZZ

People went ballistic over rebirth as well and nobody plays it.

Pretty much, this is better if you got a swarmed board, but worse for kill combos with chargers, so less flexible. It's a comparable card that will see some play but nothing OMGNERFPLOZX

egruntz

shelaughz
Pretty much, this is better if you got a swarmed board, but worse for kill combos with chargers, so less flexible. It's a comparable card that will see some play but nothing OMGNERFPLOZX

A two mana cost is what makes this so great. It's nearly always going to provide value.
Highmane = 2 2/2s
Sylvannas = Immediate steal
Webspinner/Loot Hoarder = Card draw
Haunted Creeper = 2 1/1s

There's really not a loss of value anywhere there, especially considering you're gonna wait to use it on more than 1.

Kettch

Feign death at 2 mana baffles me. The times where reincarnate is better than this are incredibly rare and situational (the only two I've done are Kel'thuzad and a flame tongue reposition). There is no way they should be the same cost, hunter even has a class deathrattle that's played in every deck. Even without the AoE part I would say this is better, as you still get to attack things with those death rattle minions on the same turn.

Purifier looks pretty useless to me. Lil' Exorcist is a nice card though.

slayn

Reincarnate is a much better card. Heals, unsilences, doubles charge, deactivates ancient watchers, disables buffs, and so forth. The hunter card is far more narrow.

egruntz

shelaughz
Reincarnate is a much better card. Heals, unsilences, doubles charge, deactivates ancient watchers, disables buffs, and so forth. The hunter card is far more narrow.

Hunter card is for ALL Hunter's minions. That alone makes it much better than Reincarnate.
"Doubling charge" is hardly useful. If you're using Reincarnate, you're trying to get a deathrattle effect, not do the Leeroy wombo combo.
Unsilence? If a minion is silenced, you're not getting any deathrattle value out of reincarnating them.

Leezard

Feign Death + Explosive Sheep will give hunters their own Auchenai + circle combo, essentially. The current hunter might not want that, though.

johnsmith

remember me
Can't believe people are saying it's not that good. For the typical hunter this will be deal 2 damage, summon 2 1/1s, and draw a beast card on turn 3 for just 2 mana. Because you wasted your turn 2 killing his undertaker all his other drops are still up.

slayn

Because current hunters can't afford to have a combo card in their opening. Every turns needs to be a creature pressuring the board or they lose. They'll be forced to mulligan it away every timw And top decking this card later is a game over. They can't even afford to play tracking, probably the strongest hunter card in the game, right now

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's the main reason I think this card will struggle to see play. It's too reliant on being drawn in the right order and Hunter is not a deck that has a lot of card draw or can play the long game to smooth out the variance.

johnsmith

remember me
Except this card adds to the board or draws cards or protects your board with traps. It's going to be played. People who say it won't be are like the ones saying webspinner sucked.

Especially now that Brode confirms the deathrattles will still trigger a 2nd time on minion death.

egruntz

shelaughz
Because current hunters can't afford to have a combo card in their opening. Every turns needs to be a creature pressuring the board or they lose. They'll be forced to mulligan it away every timw And top decking this card later is a game over. They can't even afford to play tracking, probably the strongest hunter card in the game, right now

What? Of course they can afford it. There's just a lot wrong in this post in general, including Tracking being Hunter's best card. (It's good. Certainly not the best. Hard to say what's the best when each card serves different purposes in different decks.) The current Hunter aggro deck is very, very low cost. Undertaker, Leper Gnome, Webspinner all cost only 1 mana. It doesn't take much to get board control. Hell, spending 2 mana on activating Haunted Creeper's deathrattle alone is worth it. More board control, plus the other bonuses. This will be played. A lot.

inky

Usually when you play against Hunter you don't remove their early DR minions right away because you don't want to give them a card or secret for their next immediate turn (unless you are worried about spider + kill command I guess). You don't really fight for the board until Animal Companion or Houndmaster are out.

I think that this card will probably make it so that you have to risk them getting double benefits, and that can be scary. I don't think this fits the current Undertaker deck, but like others have said, early Loot Hoarders, Webspinners, Spiders, etc. could combo reasonably well in a more control oriented deck.

Some cards have gone under everyone's radar until there's a specific use figured out, and others felt too strong and didn't end up being so. I guess we'll see about this one, but I agree with people who believe it might be good.

What? Of course they can afford it. There's just a lot wrong in this post in general, including Tracking being Hunter's best card. (It's good. Certainly not the best. Hard to say what's the best when each card serves different purposes in different decks.) The current Hunter aggro deck is very, very low cost. Undertaker, Leper Gnome, Webspinner all cost only 1 mana. It doesn't take much to get board control. Hell, spending 2 mana on activating Haunted Creeper's deathrattle alone is worth it. More board control, plus the other bonuses. This will be played. A lot.

Why is activating haunted creeper's deathrattle alone worth it? You're getting 2 1/1s for 2 mana. With that mana you could have played an entire haunted creeper or another minion. Even murloc tidehunter (2/1 + 1/1) is better value.

egruntz

shelaughz
Why is activating haunted creeper's deathrattle alone worth it? You're getting 2 1/1s for 2 mana. With that mana you could have played an entire haunted creeper or another minion. Even murloc tidehunter (2/1 + 1/1) is better value.

It's worth it for stat value alone. Of course you're going to be playing this with more than 1 deathrattle on the board. Card draw, 2 damage, 2 1/1s all for just 2 mana? Done.

Dreavus

I agree. Getting even a couple of the common Deathrattle effects for 2 mana is a great deal. And later in the game playing it with a single Highmane out is a decent deal, even better if you have more stuff around.

ShinNL

Feign Death + Explosive Sheep will give hunters their own Auchenai + circle combo, essentially. The current hunter might not want that, though.
3 Mana Flamestrike. I'm sooo gonna play Control Hunter. Highmanes along with Sylvanas and Cairnes and the new Legendaries... and let's not forget the new Mechs that summon stuff on Deathrattle.

slayn

2 mana summon 2 1/1s and draw a card isn't powerful at all in the hunter game plan. And spending 2 mana to get a secret into play is one of the weakest possible openings for the hunter deck currently. Getting a couple of 11s or drawing a card doesn't elevate it from 'holy shit this opening sucks' to 'omg op'

egruntz

shelaughz
2 mana summon 2 1/1s and draw a card isn't powerful at all in the hunter game plan. And spending 2 mana to get a secret into play is one of the weakest possible openings for the hunter deck currently. Getting a couple of 11s or drawing a card doesn't elevate it from 'holy shit this opening sucks' to 'omg op'

You're totally missing the point. Seems like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing, my man. :p

2 mana for 2 1/1s, 1 random beast minion, 2 damage to the opponent = superb. That is going to be the situation more often than not.

Late game? Highmane ALONE being used on is worth it. 2 2/2s.
Sylvannas. ALONE being used on is worth it.

It has utility. It has places in all stages of the game. And it's CHEAP.
There's no denying it's a great card.

Dreavus

I think Inky's point about how people typically fight early hunter deathrattles is a big consideration for feign death. People don't want to give the hunter the effects right away. I find myself leaving his haunted creeper up until the right moment so he doesn't get immediate benefit out of the 1/1s. With feign death it's twice as bad for me if I don't kill them right away.

Skux

Who cares if it's not good in the current aggro deck, it's still ridiculous with whatever configuration of Hunter eventuates, whether it's control, midrange, whatever. People will find a way to make us continue to hate Hunter very quickly after GvG is released.

Kettch

Still hoping there's going to be a death rattle eater of some kind, even if it's just a single legendary like Loetheb. Death rattles are just too strong in the game currently and the expansion seems to be exacerbating that so far.

egruntz

shelaughz
I just wonder if Bestial Wrath is gonna see some use in this supposed Control Hunter that's ought to come along. I think it's a great card, but it's obsolete in any current Hunter deck.

Cards that Feign Death triggers for advantage in the current metagame:

Highmane (Effective card text: Summon two 2/2 beasts)
Sylvanas (Effective card text : Steal one of your opponent's minions at random)
Creeper (Effective card text: Summon two 1/1 tokens)
Scientist (Effective card text: Put one random secret from your deck into play)
Webspinner (Effective card text: Place one random beast into your hand)

Cards that are kind of eh if Feign Death triggers:

Golem
Belcher

Cards that are outright bad if Feign Death triggers:

Gnome

---
Turn 1: Undertaker, coin, Webspinner
Turn 2: Mad Scientist
Turn 3: Webspinner + Feign Death

Feign Death reads "Draw two random beast cards and place one random secret from your deck onto the field." This makes it a 3-for-1 on turn 3, and you still managed to play at least one minion each turn.

You have a 4/5, two 1/1s and a 2/2 on the board. The 1/1s and 2/2 will all pay for themselves even if they are killed. Each of your Webspinners now has two chances to draw you a good beast. Your Scientist will pull two secrets out of your deck, meaning you won't have to worry about drawing them when you're hunting for more those Kill Commands, Unleashes etc.

The question I want answered is that if you have the two legendaries to summon Thaddius in play on the board and you pop this, does it summon Thaddius?

EDIT:

Edited this post quite a bit.

My belief is that the card is absurd as it stands and someone will craft a deck to break it. And playing two is even better - imagine that curve above but drawing into a second Feign Death on turn 4 and popping down an egg. A 5/6, a 0/2, two 1/1s, a 2/2, a 4/4, two secrets in play, four beast cards in your hand.

Mirimar

Cards that Feign Death triggers for advantage in the current metagame:

Highmane
Sylvanas
Creeper
Scientist
Webspinner

Cards that are kind of eh if Feign Death triggers:

Golem
Belcher

Cards that are outright bad if Feign Death triggers:

Gnome

---

The question I want answered is that if you have the two legendaries to summon Thaddius in play on the board and you pop this, does it summon Thaddius?

It shouldn't trigger Thaddius..unless the spell is considering them as dying? That would be pretty fucked up mechanics. Neither has died...deathrattle should only trigger if one dies, right?

egruntz

shelaughz

Logic says no. The text on the cards say "If the other has died this game," meaning if they're both alive, nothing will happen when Feign Death is played.

egruntz

shelaughz
The epic Hunter minion card is taking 56% of the vote right now.
Awesome. Will this be revealed tomorrow then?

Do we have predictions for this card yet?
I think it'll be a 4 mana cost minion. 3/2 with "Battlecry: Deal 1 damage to all enemy minions."

IDK. Looks like a marksman of some kind. Don't know the WoW characters very well.

Think about it like this. Plenty of times I've seen people Silence Stalagg or Fugenn when I play the first guy. It does nothing. The Deathrattle on the first one isn't important at all. However, of one has died, you play the second, and use Fien Death, then you'll get Thaddius for free and keep the second dude. Could even combo with Baren.

Correct about thaddius. Deathrattle will trigger but it will do nothing unless the condition of summoning thaddius is already met.

And honestly, people are pointing out kind of ideal situations and even in those ideal situations the gains aren't that great and aren't much better than playing a different card over feign death. Getting 2 1/1s, a card draw is not value off this card. That is slightly better than just playing a loot hoarder since you get 1 more stat and you draw a card now rather than later. Getting it to proc off 3 minions is not going to happen as often as you'd want and in other situations the card is gonna be basically dead. And often you're just gonna be playing into bigger value AOEs since most deathrattles summon minions that hunter runs have 1 or maybe 2 hp. I don't think think the value of getting it to proc off highmane is that special.

I think it is too situational to be played. Maybe there will be a midrange or control deck that can reliably make use of it though. But even shaman couldn't get reincarnate to work and they make much stronger control plays than hunter does.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Feign death could be nasty with sneed's old shredder. Potential double roll on legendaries. The 6 mana one works well too considering it's 2 for a 4 mana creature.

Feign death could be nasty with sneed's old shredder. Potential double roll on legendaries. The 6 mana one works well too considering it's 2 for a 4 mana creature.

Heck, it could be "good" with thermaplug potentially. If you get like 3 leper gnomes off thermaplug, drop baron rivendare, play wild pyro + feign death, get 12 damage... lol. And then another 12 damage from saccing the leper gnomes via wild pyro... then the card looks great.

egruntz

shelaughz
Opponent Turn 8 = Ragnaros
Your Turn 8 = Sylvannas + Feign Death

You've left the board with Sylvannas and Ragnaros for just 8.

That's just one situation. Using only 1 deathrattle.

Turn 6 play = Nerubian Egg x2 + Feign Death
2 4/4s with 2 more to come.

or Webspinner x2 and Loot Hoarder x1 + Feign Death for 3 card draw and some board presence. 3 more cards to come thereafter.

Or just a simple turn 8 play:
Highmane + Feign. 6/5 with 2 2/2s immediately. That's annoying as hell.

Knife Juggler on the board.
x2 haunted creepers + Feign Death.
6 damage randomly split to enemies. That's nearly the same as Paladin's 8 damage split card.

Or as others have said, how about a 4 mana Flamestrike?

No way this card is "too situational." It's just simply good. Fits a wide variety of uses at all stages in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom