• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skux

Counterintuitively this is better to have in your hand early, and having nothing to play is offset by being able to use your hero power or Muster. Also works great with Creepers and minions that summon other minions.

It's quite similar to the Murloc strat.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The Dream: Opening hand haunted creeper, Muster for Battle, coin , Bolvar, + whatever

The more I think about it, I'm thinking this card is just too situational

Control pallies will have a constant stream of tokens that can die to buff him up. He's not too situational, the only drawback here is that he's a bad topdeck if you're begging for cards to play. Trying to get a 5 mana boulderfist ogre on Turn 5 is the dream, not the objective. He's still a solid 5 drop at 4+ attack.

New Cardback for December.

j5ge5fS.jpg

Pretty sweet.

Skux

Or, hold Bolvar in a control matchup, then drop a 16/7 for 5 mana and then Faceless, lol.

Also works great with pyro/equality since your own dead minions help buff him.

Xanathus

Thought a bit more and changed my mind now, Bolvar isn't situational, it's actually complete garbage at a King Krush level. In order to get value from Bolvar it needs to have AT LEAST 6 damage because Boulderfist Ogre has the same stats at 6 mana with zero downsides. Then, the dream is to have more than 6 damage but then what's the point of having such a minion in Paladin? Paladin is by nature a control deck which means you are likely going to have Bolvar hitting minions and what's the point of having such high damage? The only minion that it can contest which needs high damage are giants but 7 health means it only trades 1 to 1 with them. For 5 mana there are so many better cards, Sludge Belcher, Loatheb, even Azure Drake and Spectral Knight are arguably better than it. There's simply no space for such a situational and marginally useful card at that mana cost. It doesn't even have taunt so it's useless against aggro, and having high health is actually antisynergy with Equality.

Thought a bit more and changed my mind now, Bolvar isn't situational, it's actually complete garbage at a King Krush level. In order to get value from Bolvar it needs to have AT LEAST 6 damage because Boulderfist Ogre has the same stats at 6 mana with zero downsides. Then, the dream is to have more than 6 damage but then what's the point of having such a minion in Paladin? Paladin is by nature a control deck which means you are likely going to have Bolvar hitting minions and what's the point of having such high damage? The only minion that it can contest which needs high damage are giants but 7 health means it only trades 1 to 1 with them. For 5 mana there are so many better cards, Sludge Belcher, Loatheb, even Azure Drake and Spectral Knight are arguably better than it. There's simply no space for such a situational and marginally useful card at that mana cost. It doesn't even have taunt so it's useless against aggro, and having high health is actually antisynergy with Equality.

I'm leaning that way as well. You have to lose four minions with Bolvar in hand just to get equal to Feugen, and nobody plays Feugen. What Bolvar needed was charge as well. Paladin was the class in need of the most help and from what we have seen it has not gotten it

Also, Brode confirmed Bolvar can be silenced

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I don't love the new paladin card. I tired thaddius for a while in warrior and 5 mana for a 4/7 just wasn't that great. So I think this thing has the become a 5/7 before you want to play it and that means probably not playing it on curve. A card that has to sit in your hand for 3-4 turns before its playable doesn't seem exciting to me. But its not so garbage that I'm sure I'll still try it out if i get it from pack

Minsc

Gold Member

Yup, this. Card seems horrible, and since you can only have 1 in your deck, any plans of drawing it early are entirely a crapshot, one that you generally have only about a 25%-33% of making. The best scenario is you save 1 mana over a Boulderfist Ogre? And the worst scenario is far, far more likely.

At least with that horrible Shaman card no one likes it is possible (though extremely unlikely) to combo it to a OTK or swing the board with it, but this, this does nothing. Sits there asking to be BGH'd, silenced, unsummoned, etc. And it's a legendary. Doesn't even trade 1:1 against that 4/3 silence minion. Not going to be a popular craft I think.

I don't love the new paladin card. I tired thaddius for a while in warrior and 5 mana for a 4/7 just wasn't that great. So I think this thing has the become a 5/7 before you want to play it and that means probably not playing it on curve. A card that has to sit in your hand for 3-4 turns before its playable doesn't seem exciting to me. But its not so garbage that I'm sure I'll still try it out if i get it from pack

I actually don't think he is even really designed to play on curve tbh. The 5 mana cost is misleading imo.

It does give paladin's a decent way to deal a lot of damage in the end game tbh. It isn't flashy like a leeroy combo but it is a huge minion that can determine a match if unanswered.

Won

I guess I have to give them credit to give us a slightly different mechanic that isn't RNG. Besides that it looks really bad.

What would you guys think if Bolvar was something like:

4 mana
5/4

Charge. Once 10 Recruits have been destroyed, summon Bolvar.

edit: *or: Charge: Once 10 recruits have been destroyed, add Bolvar to your hand.

If you focus on how good the card is for just 5 mana, played roughly on curve, I think that might be a mistake. Because sure, you need 5 minions to die to make him better than feugan or whichever 4/7. But feugan played turn 10 is still gonna be a 4/7 whereas this guy could be like a 10/7, which is far stronger than a 5 drop. And you still have 5 mana that turn to clear board or accomplish other things with.

I actually think of this card more like a vancleef or a giant than just a vanilla-ish 5 drop like feugan.

edit:
I also find playing off curve with control paladin perfectly acceptable.

Minsc

Gold Member
A game where the paladin never summons a recruit or plays a minion in 10 turns? Not possible.

A game where the paladin never loses one minion, that is already a win :)

It's a 1-of in your deck, so you're far more likely to not draw him than draw him. All the minions that die before you draw him (which again, is the most likely scenario in any game) don't do anything.

And who doesn't run BGH anyway? Even in the best scenario where you get some 30/7 creature, it's just going to die to BGH.

A game where the paladin never summons a recruit or plays a minion in 10 turns? Not possible.

A game where the paladin never loses one minion, that is already a win :)

That's all dependent on Bolvar actually being in your hand while those recruits died. 10 recruits can die before this thing is drawn and it's still going to be worthless in your hand for several turns before it becomes halfway decent

It's a 1-of in your deck, so you're far more likely to not draw him than draw him. All the minions that die before you draw him (which again, is the most likely scenario in any game) don't do anything.

And who doesn't run BGH anyway? Even in the best scenario where you get some 30/7 creature, it's just going to die to BGH.

Fair enough. There does need to be a downside to a beastly minion like him.

As for BGH? I seriously think people over-worry about that card.

bgh creates a huge swing turn and keeps control decks in check simply because he ca n be a two-of.

I think this new card will only ever work in a zoo-style paladin deck where you're using your minions to fight for board control. but I don't know that it'll ever be any good.

First I thought it was awesome because I assumed it couldn't be silenced (since it didn't have a battle cry, and you can't have a card in hand with an "ability" active) but now that it has been confirmed that you can silence it, it's turned into the worst Class legendary.

I can't think of a worse class legendary.

bgh creates a huge swing turn and keeps control decks in check simply because he ca n be a two-of.

I think this new card will only ever work in a zoo-style paladin deck where you're using your minions to fight for board control. but I don't know that it'll ever be any good.

When BGH takes out of an 8 mana minion like rag, that is a huge swing turn.

But when BGH takes out a 5 mana minion, it isn't ideal but a control paladin can recover from that tbh. Especially because of consecrate, equality, weapons etc..

you'd have to invest at least 6 other minions to get into bgh range anyway. and it's not like paladin has many other targets aside from the occasional ragnaros. so even with tokens that's a lot to pay. I guess he can be a good followup to a pyro/equality.

Malice215

I love this months cardback, though the one we just got is fairly cool too. Icecrown is still my favourite:

It's still my favorite cardback also. I'm not switching.

As for Bolvar, there's plenty of way of dealing with him before you get decent value out of him. Plus he's going to be a dead card in your hand before you can play him. I'm glad that Blizzard added a card like this which will open up different strategies and force a response from your opponent, but I don't see myself wasting a slot on him.

Brode said Bolvar is one of his top five favorite GvG cards...

With no new card vote and extended maintenance tomorrow, I'm betting on the rest of the cards being revealed tomorrow before they are data mined out after the game is patched. I'd also expect a release date, most likely the 9th or 16th

ZealousD

In order to get value from Bolvar it needs to have AT LEAST 6 damage because Boulderfist Ogre has the same stats at 6 mana with zero downsides.

This is the wrong way to look at it. At 4/7, its a solid but unexceptional 5 drop. That's 2 HP more than yeti so it fits the cost formula. At 5/7, its very strong. 5/7 for 5 is a better card than a 6/7 for 6, its only one stat less for one less mana. That's part of why boulderfist ogre is so much better than war golem. At 5/7 he's a clear threat to other common 5 HP minions like loatheb and sludge belcher. He can also bait out common hard removals like sw:d or hex, which is one threat less for tirion. So he's still value at 5+ attack. He's really only a poor value at 3 attack or less.

Zeroth

What kind of synergy exists making Druid of the Claw's transformations be beasts? Aren't all Best-beneficial cards Hunter-only?

I'm actually kind of excited to play druid. They have gotten some pretty interesting cards. The mech-bear-cat and the druid of the fang I think are gonna work out pretty well. They have pretty strong late game with enough taunts and healing to back it up. And they can be played as a slow aggro deck under the right circumstances, like getting wild growth early enough.

I'll probably be all about rogue, paladin, and druid at the start of this expansion... unless shaman actually gets more interesting cards for the style I like to play it in.

egruntz

shelaughz
transform probably means it's a 7/7 that can't be silenced.

Yes. Transform indicates similar mechanics to Hex and Polymorph. The sheep and frog cannot be silenced back to their original forms.

Easy way to think of it:

Silencing X's out card text, and that's ALL it does.
Transformations change cards completely to a new card, usually without any card text, so the silence won't do anything.

manhack

With no new card vote and extended maintenance tomorrow, I'm betting on the rest of the cards being revealed tomorrow before they are data mined out after the game is patched. I'd also expect a release date, most likely the 9th or 16th

The more I think about it, the more likely the expansion will be released on the 16th. It gives Blizzard enough time to get ready for release and to do any post-release fixed prior to the holiday break.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong, but better to not be disappointed.

Zeroth

Yes. Transform indicates similar mechanics to Hex and Polymorph. The sheep and frog cannot be silenced back to their original forms.

Easy way to think of it:

Silencing X's out card text, and that's ALL it does.
Transformations change cards completely to a new card, usually without any card text, so the silence won't do anything.

That's the core difference between a hard removal and a soft removal.

Hard removals = Hex, Polymorph... because you can't return the minion to its original form.

Soft Removals = Silence, since it can be nullified by cards like Shadowstep, etc.

G.ZZZ

Bolvar is shitty as hell, better run Fen Creeper 90% of the time. 5 mana legendary conditionally better Mogushan lmao.

Slashlen

Well, he's a designer, so I imagine it's because Bolvar is interesting, not that it's really powerful. It's a mechanic that asks us to play a little differently, and it could be really powerful in the right deck. At least I'd expect people to experiment with it.

Dat feel when you draw double Flare after the mulligan, and the Mage doesn't play a secret for the whole game. Still one by burning one to draw a Webspinner and living the double Skill Command to the face dream.

This expansion can't get here soon enough. I'm jonesing to spend the gold I'm building up.

Skux

You're basically waiting for Pyro-Equality-Bolvar to get any use out of him. And even then you have to make sure your opponent has played all his legendaries and burned all his removal.

ZealousD

Bolvar is the worst class legendary in the game, just what Pallys needed.

Nobody should be making definitive statements like that. Its a completely new mechanic to the game. People are going to need to experiment before legitimate opinions can be made. It all comes down to how powerful he is on an average play and how varied the spread is. Without knowing that, I don't think definitive judgments can be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom