• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
King of Beasts now challenges Kill Command for the worst card art.

Nope, Crackle wins that contest.

635527543203622294.png

egruntz

shelaughz
Are you guys seriously considering Crackle and King of Beasts for worst card art when Kill Command is still in this fucking game the way it is?

Kill_Command%28488%29.png

Guess Hunter wins worst card art.

Also, Malfurion's legendary is a Beast and is a collectible card... Webspinner????

gutshot

5 free packs on release plus whatever I can get with my saved up gold and Google Play credits should be a nice start to my GvG collection.

Grove Tender is pretty bad.

I think the card is fine tbh. It is like a much more moderate, higher value version of coldlight oracle that lets you choose which is better for your and worse for your opponent.

The value in a card like coldlight oracle and grove tender is the fact that you get a body on the field and the first opportunity to play the card you draw if you have excess mana.

Why cold light oracle sucks: 2/2 for 3 is very very bad. Why grove tender is perfectly acceptable: 2/4 for 3 is adequate. What makes grove tender good? The choice.

It is also a sort of lets see card because it it hard to tell when you'll want more mana or another card. Also note that when you get the mana crystal, it is not an empty mana crystal. So on turn 4 you can play this, get the extra mana crystal and then hero power or do something else with 2 mana.

I can see it working in a midrange deck quite well. You'll select mana crystal vs aggro so you can get to your bigger bodies and taunts faster. And vs control it probably depends more on specifics but in my experience cold light oracle works pretty well vs control in a midrange or tempo deck.

Special C

I think I'm going to play nothing but Arena for a month after GwG comes out.

1. Let the community figure out which cards are good or not
2. Earn GwG packs, and avoid spending dust on GwG cards for constructed. By the time you start playing constructed you will have a decent library of GwG cards. That way you avoid dusting for cards you are going to pull from a pack.

I'm glad I didn't just stop playing for the night after running into so many warlocks. I made a chart of my night's efforts and I am mostly pleased with the results. 75% winrate across the night.

2. Earn GwG packs, and avoid spending dust on GwG cards for constructed. By the time you start playing constructed you will have a decent library of GwG cards. That way you avoid dusting for cards you are going to pull from a pack.

I'll probably do the same. I mean, I will do constructed since arena is bland to me (maybe it won't be after gvg who knows), but I won't buy almost any packs with gold.

I will be spending dust on GvG cards, but very limited choice cards like gallywix (fuck that card looks so appealing) and muster for battle. Either cheap cards that fit real well with existing decks or cards I just want really badly. And I'll dust crap expert cards that I never use in the first place, although I won't go crazy about that.

Kettch

I think grove tender is good because you can build your deck around having lots of mana, while your opponent can't. Coldlight oracle is actually a played card and quite good...in the right decks. You build your deck around maximum face damage, and meanwhile your opponent is sitting on 10 cards he can't play. Here you'll be doing the opposite, filling up your deck with removal to stay alive and beefy/value late game cards.

zoukka

Grove Tender has a good body for the cost and the ability is relevant.

Goddamn I can't wait how much arena will improve with so many new cards. A few expansions more and arena picks might not be automatically easy anymore. I hope they up the amount of cards to pick from to six too, maybe call it the expert mode or something :)

If you want to get into the thick of it, they are more of a magical enchantment / summons than an actual mechanical thing. The War Golem is solid stone that's been animated while the Arcane Golem are a few metal pieces bound by magic. In WoW, they're actually classified as Elemental, not Mechanical.

Not sure if that is their actual reasoning, but that would be my guess.

Edit: Yeah, Harvest Golems are actually built, there's a small story behind them in the game.

The Double Malygos dream is real.

97Vy1kkl.png

I played Malygos plus Conceal on turn 10 to make sure that he couldn't execute it, then copied it with Faceless Manipulator and dropped 2X Sinister Strike for 13 damage each. Then I Sapped the slime and hit face with the original Malygos for exactly 30 damage.

ecFOK32l.png

Kettch

Looking at how arena is going to shape up, I think Mage will continue to be the unquestioned king. Most important thing is the new common cards, rares and up don't have a very big impact over the long run.

#1 - Mage: Snowchugger, Flamecannon.
Both very solid cards that fit into any deck.

#2 - Shaman: Zapomatic, Crackle.
Very similar to the new mage cards. Quality 2 drop and removal. Hard to say which pair is better, but Mage was a bit better going in so Shaman stays #2.

#3 - Priest: Shrinkmeister, Velen's Chosen.
Even as a naked 2 drop shrinkmeister can fill in fine, but you're likely to get some favorable trades with it even if you don't draft any shadow madness/cabal shadow priest. Velen's Chosen is just spectacular if you get anything to stick. I think Priest will move ahead of rogue and druid with these new early game options.

#4 - Rogue: Goblin Auto-Barber, Tinker's Sharpsword Oil.
These are both board control gaining cards, which rogue was already the master of, but they're solid and now you're guaranteed to get something to wipe the board early even with a poor draft.

#5 - Paladin: Shielded Minibot, Seal of Light.
I have a lower opinion of arena Paladin than most, but these cards might change my mind. Early board control is always a struggle. And vital. These help out a lot, especially the minibot. Seal of light is more of a desperation removal, but at least it's something they were lacking.

#6 - Druid: Anodized Robo-Cub, Druid of the Fang.
I think Druid is going to drop a good bit as neither of these are spectacular. The robo cub is just an alright 2 drop, maybe the taunt can save some games, but it doesn't do anything particularly special. Druid of the Fang will either work spectacularly or sit in your hand and fail spectacularly. I don't like relying on having a board presence as druid and drafting quality beasts (Druid of the Claw excluded) is always a question mark. The class is strong enough already to do fine though.

#7 - Hunter: Cobra Shot, Glaivezooka.
Two of the weaker cards they got this expansion. I admit to being a fairly poor hunter player, so I'm likely underrating them, but I don't think these cards help much. Glaivezooka could be good for taking the board early, but you really want to either have a 1 drop first or a coin 2 drop, which is rolling the dice. Cobra shot just seems terrible for arena unless you're way ahead already.

#8 - Warlock: Darkbomb, Floating Watcher.
The better of the two trash tier arena classes. Darkbomb is solid removal, but Floating Watcher is going to have a lot of trouble here where a 2 drop and hero power can take it out any time before turn 6 or 7. The class needed some amazing cards to move up though.

#9 - Warrior: Ogre Warmaul, Warbot.
Haha. Poor warrior. Weakest class going in and gets the worst card and possibly the second worst, I'm not sure between Cobra Shot and Warbot. Warmaul would be the worst card for any class, but warrior needs fiery waraxe and death's bite just to compete, there's no room to even play this terrible weapon.

Another garbage legendary for mage...
How long are they going to make mages pay for having flamestrike in their arsenal?

I don't think flamestrike has to do with it. And I think that card might secretly be quite acceptable.

Looking at how arena is going to shape up, I think Mage will continue to be the unquestioned king. Most important thing is the new common cards, rares and up don't have a very big impact over the long run.

Mage really is not the unquestioned king in arena. Rogue has always been neck and neck with it and sometimes even ahead in winrates.

Kettch

I don't think flamestrike has to do with it. And I think that card might secretly be quite acceptable.

Mage really is not the unquestioned king in arena. Rogue has always been neck and neck with it and sometimes even ahead in winrates.

These are mostly my personal opinions. I don't play rogue a huge amount, but I find that it can fail hard against mage. And if you fail hard against mage, you're gonna have a hard time winning high win games.

These are my win rates over the last 723 games:

Mage: 75% (185 games)
Shaman: 74% (257)
Rogue: 71% (48)
Paladin: 67% (24)
Druid: 66% (129)
Priest 60% (45)
Hunter 60% (35)
Warlock: N/A
Warrior: N/A

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Looking at some of Ben Brode's replies, he said Mogor's 50% chance to hit the wrong target applied to everyone stacks with the other cards with that effect. That has the potential to be hilariously dumb.

Special C

These are mostly my personal opinions. I don't play rogue a huge amount, but I find that it can fail hard against mage. And if you fail hard against mage, you're gonna have a hard time winning high win games.

These are my win rates over the last 723 games:

Mage: 75% (185 games)
Shaman: 74% (257)
Rogue: 71% (48)
Paladin: 67% (24)
Druid: 66% (129)
Priest 60% (45)
Hunter 60% (35)
Warlock: N/A
Warrior: N/A

Some of it comes down to personal skill and playstyle with different classes. My top Class in Arena is Paladin, followed by Mage, Shaman, Rogue in that order. It's going to be different for everyone but the aggregate seems to slightly favor rogue.

Kettch

Also, do you guys have a link to aggregate stats? All I'm seeing is arenamastery, which looks pretty definitively mage.

That is pretty much my plan too. Enjoy Arena and learn the cards.

Then after a couple of weeks, look at the 3 decks 99.9% of people are playing and craft cards appropriately :)

ViviOggi

Are you fucking shitting me lol

Got Deathwing'd by a Paladin in my very first game (still won) and now this just happened at 3-0:

His last two cards were Cold Blood and Conceal. Lord have mercy on the souls meeting that deck without drawing a good early game.

ShinNL

Do whatever you enjoy doing but get off your goddamn high horse about your deck building skills already when you've never even taken one of your creations beyond rank 10.
I do those 20 to 10 in a single day wise ass.

And I won't tolerate anyone who uses rank peen as an argument.

Szadek

Which is not a big achievement by any means,unless you did it in the first few days of the season.
How about you get to rank 5 and below with your deck?
Don't forget to post your winrate.

ViviOggi

And I won't tolerate anyone who uses rank peen as an argument.

It's not about "rank peen", I'm not talking about myself here, I didn't even post my rank, winrate or whatever. I've kept quiet over all these months because I think it's cool when people are adamant about building their own decks and if that's what you enjoy most about HS more power to you, but enough is enough. I'm calling out your constant, exhausting posts discrediting piloting and talking up your perceived deck building skills when you haven't ever played at a decent level.

Anyone with intermediate game knowledge can streak through rank 20-10 trashlords in a day. Real matches start at rank 5 at the earliest, some would argue only legend constructed is really worth spending time on since that's where things start to open up again, but about 5-2 is where everyone strictly adheres to the meta, mistakes become rarer and deck variety is at an all time low. Break that meta and we'll talk again.

Haunted

So many good new cards. I swear they're making proportionally more legendaries to encourage people to buy packs. Some of these are just beastly. Suddenly, 30 card decks feel so small.

They fucking better let us build more than 9 decks at a time, there will be so many valid decks.

ViviOggi

Oh great it's fucking legendary day again and I got nothing. Over 5 games I've faced Deathwing, Leeroy, Sylvanas and now a Black Knight killing my Sunwalker after the guy had already Shield Block + Shield Slammed (which is an epic mind you) my Yeti. Might as well be playing constructed.

If a warlock has a Malganis on board,does he lose HP when using his hero power?

And I don't get the point of Gallywix,your oponnent can easily make sure you won't be getting his good spells buy filling his hand with coins.

ShinNL

Which is not a big achievement by any means,unless you did it in the first few days of the season.
How about you get to rank 5 and below with your deck?
Don't forget to post your winrate.
I'm implying I don't care about my rank since I don't bother spending time in that mode and you're telling me I should prove myself to get to rank 5, after I stated I hate people who only judge people by ranks? Get out of my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom