• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to admirable/backspace/chakki handlock might be dead post gvg due to the soulfire change.

I think they have a point, the strongest handlock opener imo is giant into soulfire or something like that.

Plus if BGH is more important, then handlock is just gonna get countered pretty hard. Lots of 7attack drops in the new expansion.

Ah. It's just a RNG for small minds. Fuck I spent money on this.

Oh well. Live and learn.

Woah, I thought I was on bnet forums for a minute.

Szadek

Ah. It's just a RNG for small minds. Fuck I spent money on this.

Oh well. Live and learn.
No it's not.RNG is part of the game(duh,it's a card game),but there is a huge difference between a new player and a pro player.
Man. Rogue may as well not exist. Breathtakingly bad balance. Rogues need either +10 health or + 3 damage. Horrible.
It's the second best class in arena and last season the #1 spot in EU and NA was occupied by a rogue player.

According to admirable/backspace/chakki handlock might be dead post gvg due to the soulfire change.

I think they have a point, the strongest handlock opener imo is giant into soulfire or something like that.

Plus if BGH is more important, then handlock is just gonna get countered pretty hard. Lots of 7attack drops in the new expansion.

Woah, I thought I was on bnet forums for a minute.

I'm feeling pretty dumb for crafting Jaraxxus right now. Shame because I like playing Handlock, Zoo is good for laddering but I don't enjoy it nearly as much.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...227:1;12236:2;12265:2;12272:1;12276:2;12291:1 - battlecry focused high value shadowstep/mech rogue

edit:
I like the look of this list so far but I am not entirely sure about cogmaster's wrench and tinkertown tech. I think I need more low cost mechs to make those really worth including.

I'm feeling pretty dumb for crafting Jaraxxus right now. Shame because I like playing Handlock, Zoo is good for laddering but I don't enjoy it nearly as much.

Jaraxxus is probably still playable in a demon based deck though. The end game power of that card is still gonna be high.

Dreavus

I don't think Soulfire going from 0 to 1 is going to kill any decks. Is there a specific play that costs exactly 10 mana that would prevent you from playing the new Soulfire alongside it?

Won

I don't think Soulfire going from 0 to 1 is going to kill any decks. Is there a specific play that costs exactly 10 mana that would prevent you from playing the new Soulfire alongside it?

It's less about what happens at turn 10 and more what happens around turn 4. That 1 mana has very big impact there.

Also no one should ever feel bad about crafting a Jaraxxus. It's goddamn Jaraxxus!

It's too soon to say handlock is dead, nobody can guess the new meta.

The problem is that handlock is largely too slow without being able to soulfire on turn 4. Turn 4 drake or giant + soulfire to kill whatever board your opponent has was pretty broken. When they talk about aggressive plays, that is probably the most aggressive use you can get out of soulfire imo.

Plus BGH is getting a ton of new targets to hit, cards people actually will play like malganis... hard to see handlock doing well with all the changes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What are people assuming will kill Handlock? Lightbomb?

I don't feel that's a huge problem as Priest already had a lot of options in that match up, so unless they become incredibly dominant I don't feel that forces the deck out.

I can't imagine many people running Clockwork Golem if we're looking at neutrals.

A shift toward bigger unit removal with BGHs in all decks would be problematic, though we have to see if it actually stabilizes on the higher cost card end.

Edit: Oh right, the Soulfire nerf.

Raxus

I don't feel that's a huge problem as Priest already had a lot of options in that match up, so unless they become incredibly dominant I don't feel that forces the deck out.

I can't imagine many people running Clockwork Golem if we're looking at neutrals.

A shift toward bigger unit removal with BGHs in all decks would be problematic.

Priest already has a ton of good removal for handlock and shrinkray on top of Cabal kills Drakes.

Zeroth

Soulfire nerf will not be what will (or would) kill Handlocks. I think it's too early to make these claims, the meta will move around a lot with all these cards.

A shift toward bigger unit removal with BGHs in all decks would be problematic, though we have to see if it actually stabilizes on the higher cost card end.

Edit: Oh right, the Soulfire nerf.

There will be a ton of BGHs out there once my Neptulon Shamurloc deck obliterates the meta. Handlock is doomed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Right. So if I am a Rogue facing a Warlock that played Malganis, I will cast Faceless on the Malganis, then give my Malganis Stealth using Master of Disguise. You can't lose the game at that point unless that Warlock is running Twisting Nether or has enough area of effect spells such as Hellfire, Dread Infernal, or Shadowflame. I guess the new Fel Cannon could save you too eventually.

Woah. This is unlikely, but what if this happened at the end of a game?

You have a stealthed Malganius and the Warlock has his up, but you run out of cards and can't remove it, and he can't touch yours. I'd imagine this immunity works through fatigue and would actually make an unwinnable state.

Edit: Wait I'm dumb. Obviously the rouge has the advantage and can attack out of stealth when fatigue builds up for a kill.

I wasn't designing this deck to be with so many random effects, but I still think it could be pretty damn good because the randomness is manageable.

I wanted a higher curve to make recombobulator more effective, and making shadowstep high enough value to include. A lot of weapon damage is meant to represent a way to deal a lot of damage and get a lot of value.

shadowstep x2
deadly poison x2
eviscerate x2
goblin autobarber x2
recombobulator x2
ogre brute x2 (playing over tink technician due to not having enough low mech drops)
si7 agent x2 (staple for this kind of deck imo)
enhance-o mechano x1 (maybe will cut this 1 of)
sabotage x2 (I think I love this card since it is kind of good against every deck in the game for one reason or another)
tinker's sharpsword oil x2 (basically a more expensive truesilver champion, but also buffs a minion when combo'd so it has more potential later in the game)
antique healbot x1 (this card is just balls good, especially with shadowstep getting me fucking 16 health! and then I recombobulate it into something bigger!)
azure drake x1 (the only real card draw lol, but I hope I have enough high value cards)
Blingtron 3000 (may be replaced by assassin's blade, this deck needs real weapons)
bomb lobber x2
loatheb
ogre ninja x2 (huge body, hard to respond to, can by pass taunts... love it)
Toshley (just solid body, probably replaceable)
Trade Prince gallywix (just fucking love this guy so far)
Troggzor (amazing card that just spawns more minions like cairne)

It has 15 cards with random effects, but pretty manageable RNG I think.

edit link http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...35:2;12236:2;12272:1;12276:2;12281:2;12291:1;

br3wnor

Just beat a Priest who played my Jaraxxus twice. I'm assuming if you use 2 thought steals, you can steal the same card the second time as long as it's not in the opponents hand?

Man I was gonna be pissed if he beat me on that bullshit. I HATE playing Priests so much.

FeD.nL

Ok can someone help me here. What is the difference between summon a minion an play a minion. Because the new Rogue goblin pirate has the wording: 'Whenever you summon a pirate, gain stealth'.

And since Muster for battle should not work with Hobgoblin, since Hobgoblin has the wording 'play a minion' and Muster for Battle 'Summon 3 1/1 recruits'. Does that mean that that Rogue pirate is even more useless then it looks. Or does Muster for Battle work with Hobgoblin, because that would be great.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
It's not about "rank peen", I'm not talking about myself here, I didn't even post my rank, winrate or whatever. I've kept quiet over all these months because I think it's cool when people are adamant about building their own decks and if that's what you enjoy most about HS more power to you, but enough is enough. I'm calling out your constant, exhausting posts discrediting piloting and talking up your perceived deck building skills when you haven't ever played at a decent level.

Anyone with intermediate game knowledge can streak through rank 20-10 trashlords in a day. Real matches start at rank 5 at the earliest, some would argue only legend constructed is really worth spending time on since that's where things start to open up again, but about 5-2 is where everyone strictly adheres to the meta, mistakes become rarer and deck variety is at an all time low. Break that meta and we'll talk again.

Shit just got real son

it's annoyed me as well, talk about epeening

Leezard

Ok can someone help me here. What is the difference between summon a minion an play a minion. Because the new Rogue goblin pirate has the wording: 'Whenever you summon a pirate, gain stealth'.

And since Muster for battle should not work with Hobgoblin, since Hobgoblin has the wording 'play a minion' and Muster for Battle 'Summon 3 1/1 recruits'. Does that mean that that Rogue pirate is even more useless then it looks. Or does Muster for Battle work with Hobgoblin, because that would be great.

Summon includes everything. Sword of Justice uses "summon".

Play is only cards from hand.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Anything that puts a minion into play somehow "summons" it, which is why Knife Juggler works with about everything.

"Play" refers to when a card is played from the hand. So, getting a Baine from Cairne's Deathrattle will trigger "whenever you summon". But to trigger "whenever you play", you'd have to somehow return Baine to your hand, and then play it from there.

Majine

Banned
At Blizzcon they talked about spectator mode for tournaments. Have they showed that? I can't imagine how it works without doing massive changes to the board.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
At Blizzcon they talked about spectator mode for tournaments. Have they showed that? I can't imagine how it works without doing massive changes to the board.

Spectator_mode_preview.png

Bleh, I hate priest sometimes.... dude runs every possible aoe and then also gets a lightning storm after I've already gotten past 2 wild pyros, 2 auchenai, 2 holy novas, playing around ysera awakens... ffs.

Then I lost in fatigue because of cabal...

Both doomhammers were in the last 5 cards...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's a disguise.

The ogre is pretending to be a tree.

I'm not sure that post was entirely serious.

Woah. This is unlikely, but what if this happened at the end of a game?

You have a stealthed Malganius and the Warlock has his up, but you run out of cards and can't remove it, and he can't touch yours. I'd imagine this immunity works through fatigue and would actually make an unwinnable state.

Edit: Wait I'm dumb. Obviously the rouge has the advantage and can attack out of stealth when fatigue builds up for a kill.

Yep, if the Warlock's Malganis isn't behind a Taunt, the Rogue would eventually win.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ogre Magi and Boulderfist Ogre ruin the new ogre gimmick.

Where's the consistency :(

In Warcraft 2, Ogre Magis say "I'm not brainless anymore."

Boulderfist Ogre is a one-headed ogre, not two-headed. Only two headed ogres should have that text.

I know it probably isn't him, but I played someone named frodan, which I guess it is possible to be him since it is early in the season even tho I'm only rank 11. I never pay attention to names like this but it happened to catch my eye.

edit:
He had the Tespa card back so probably not him.

I almost had a heart attack.... thank god hexing a minion doesn't trigger knife juggler lol... makes sense but half a second I was like fuck I just tossed that game during BM.

I probably shouldn't fuck around when I have 1hp left.

kinger256

None of the classes that desperately needed help got any. In Naxx they were cards like dark cultist and death's bite which gave the weaker classes the boost they desperately needed to become competitive, but here rouge, paladin and mage are left for dead.

Sad to see how terrible the druid cards are. Malorne competes in the seven slot against Ancient of Lore and Ancient of War; cards that both outclass Malorne a fair bit. I guess the class is powerful enough already.

I'm happy to see Blizzard trying to make control Hunter work, but these cards don't address any of control hunter's flaws. Aggro hunter will still reign as king.

Just realized something while watching Kripp's talk about the cards. People seem to be dissing Cobra Shot a lot, and I understand why, but it's not tied to enemy minions. You can Cobra Shot Gahz'rilla for only three, deal that extra three to the hero, and top it off with at least 12 damage.

Obviously a rare situation, but I think most people have been only thinking about it as removal.

Just realized something while watching Kripp's talk about the cards. People seem to be dissing Cobra Shot a lot, and I understand why, but it's not tied to enemy minions. You can Cobra Shot Gahz'rilla for only three, deal that extra three to the hero, and top it off with at least 12 damage.

Obviously a rare situation, but I think most people have been only thinking about it as removal.

I think the card is fine. People just aren't used to seeing actually balanced hunter cards.

It does 6 damage for 5 mana. That is actually 100% accurate for a straight up damage card I think. Not random either like multishot.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It does 6 damage for 5 mana. That is actually 100% accurate for a straight up damage card I think. Not random either like multishot.

Sinister Strike is 1 mana. Removal spells that deal 3 damage to a minion are worth 2 mana. So you're basically spending an extra 2 mana just to have both effects on the same card. Or, you can think of it as 3 mana over a normal removal spell, just to deal 3 hp to the opponent.

Compare it to something like Hammer of Wrath too. Hammer of Wrath is 4 mana, 3 damage (probably to a minion), draw a card. Do you think dealing 3 extra damage to the hero is worth a full extra mana over card draw? Hell, I think it's worth even less than card draw. The spell costs at least 1 mana too much, and heck it might not even be overpowered if it cost 3 mana. Just too damn expensive for what you get.

Yeah, you could use it to proc Gahzrilla, but there's much better ways to do the same thing, like wild pyro + arcane shot, or kill command, or almost anything else.

kinger256

I think the card is fine. People just aren't used to seeing actually balanced hunter cards.

Your example would work if there was some choice where the damage went, but this card forces you to go half/half which is much worse than if it all went to a minion or all went to face. Other damage cards are costed as such because they target minions or give a choice for versatility. There are few if any situations where you would want to simultaneously damage a minion and a hero.

This card would be find as 4 mana, and hunters would still not play it.

Sinister Strike is 1 mana. Removal spells that deal 3 damage to a minion are worth 2 mana. So you're basically spending an extra 2 mana just to have both effects on the same card. Or, you can think of it as 3 mana over a normal removal spell, just to deal 3 hp to the opponent.

Compare it to something like Hammer of Wrath too. Hammer of Wrath is 4 mana, 3 damage (probably to a minion), draw a card. Do you think dealing 3 extra damage to the hero is worth a full extra mana over card draw? Hell, I think it's worth even less than card draw. The spell costs at least 1 mana too much, and heck it might not even be overpowered if it cost 3 mana. Just too damn expensive for what you get.

Yeah, you could use it to proc Gahzrilla, but there's much better ways to do the same thing, like wild pyro + arcane shot, or kill command, or almost anything else.

I think it isn't right to compare it to sinister strike, something that inflexible... cobra shot is direct damage and likely receives double from spell power as well.

It isn't correct, imo, to compare it to hammer of wrath since the card deals damage to two targets. Multi-target spells likely cost more than even card draw, just for being multishot.

Just comparing spells cross class generally doesn't work well anyway. Every classes' cards are going to be balanced for that class.

You might think it isn't worth running and that may be a fair assessment, but it is budgeted properly. I can imagine this card working in a deck that doesn't run beasts since at that point it is replacing kill command. Pressuing HP is good for a hunter due to their HP and if you can take out a minion with it, I think the value is realized. I can't imagine what the deck would look like since I haven't thought about it much.

Your example would work if there was some choice where the damage went, but this card forces you to go half/half which is much worse than if it all went to a minion or all went to face. Other damage cards are costed as such because they target minions or give a choice for versatility. There are few if any situations where you would want to simultaneously damage a minion and a hero.

This card would be find as 4 mana, and hunters would still not play it.

There are no RNG elements to this card. You choose where it goes. You can't choose the second component, but the face damage is worth it imo if you can take something out with it. The weak side to this card is the lower minion damage but that can be potentially remedied by spell damage. Could be interesting to work into a deck tbh. You aren't restricted to minions so it could be very different.

I think people just aren't used to seeing fair hunter cards. No joke.

CoolOff

One thing about Cobra Shot though, doesn't it scale x2 off of spell power? 4 damage to a minion and 4 damage to face for 5 is decent, 5 to a minion and 5 to face is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom