• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Won

One thing about Cobra Shot though, doesn't it scale x2 off of spell power? 4 damage to a minion and 4 damage to face for 5 is decent, 5 to a minion and 5 to face is insane.

I would call it "cute". It's fancy and Blizzard probably played it safe because of it, but in the end if you start spending 5 mana to only deal 3 damage on the board you are probably hitting that concede button very soon.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I would call it "cute". It's fancy and Blizzard probably played it safe because of it, but in the end if you start spending 5 mana to only deal 3 damage on the board you are probably hitting that concede button very soon.

It's not worth it to run spell power for Cobra Shot just like it's not worth it to run spell power for Multi Shot.

Hunters don't play spell power and never will.

Hunters don't run spell power.

I think that is pretty close minded about the upcoming expansion. There are a couple of key ways hunter can do well with spell power. Snipe, explosive trap, cobra shot, arcane shot, explosive shot, multi-shot, and kill command.

I'd imagine a midrange deck could start with thalnos and an azure drake. These kind of cards can create a real strong advantage.

It's not worth it to run spell power for Cobra Shot just like it's not worth it to run spell power for Multi Shot.

I ran spell power with multishot before, months before naxxramas. It is actually quite good cause multishot is amazing when it 2 for 1.

I made a hipster hunter midrange deck. 2 games so far... one totally lopsided due to a strong undertaker start by a priest. Managed to beat an aggro mage tho due to alex timely appearing.

Majine

Banned
Spectator_mode_preview.png

That's not for tournaments, no? You need to be able to see both hands at the same time, otherwise it's not better than what they do today. It would be worse even.

ZealousD

Has anybody asked Ben Brode how Steamweedle Sniper interacts with non-Hunter hero powers? Like how would it work with Warrior or Druid?

Or maybe hilariously, Warlock? If you got it as Warlock, could you do 2 damage to a minion AND draw a a card?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Has anybody asked Ben Brode how Steamweedle Sniper interacts with non-Hunter hero powers? Like how would it work with Warrior or Druid?

Or maybe hilariously, Warlock? If you got it as Warlock, could you do 2 damage to a minion AND draw a a card?

I know he said minions don't get armor but I have no idea what happens if warlock gets it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The warlock hero power doesn't "target" anything. It will change no more than Rogue's hero power would.

Reading this stuff about hunters and spellpower, Im wondering does the spell damage have to be maintained on board until reveal? Or does it get buffed from the moment you play it with spell power up?

Spell Power only works if there is a minion on the board with it at the time of the spell cast. So if you have a Kobold on the board, any spell gets +1 damage until it dies or gets silenced. It's hard to use Spell Power with traps because you don't get to choose when Traps go off.

zoukka

Spellpower hunter... Oh you GAF.

And nobody will play cobra shot. It's a card for arena and not even a good one for that.

Spellpower hunter... Oh you GAF.

And nobody will play cobra shot. It's a card for arena and not even a good one for that.

It is just an idea. No need to be all negative about the prospect. Hunter now has an additional card to make use of spell power so why not try it out.

Has the last 2-3 months made everyone forget the potential of midrange hunter? Apparently.

With spellpower you're still overpaying 2 mana for a Shadow Bolt, Cobra Shot is unplayable.

If you ignore the 4 damage you're doing to face. All that hunter damage adds up. And chances are you're playing it on a minion that is preventing you from hitting face with another minion. Just adds up pretty quick.

edit: It is also interesting to note that there were a couple times when I was playing my midrange hunter where I could have gotten a lot of use out of cobra shot and steamwheedle sniper. I think it can work. I don't think mana inefficiency necessarily means a card is bad. That is where people seem to be stuck on with cobra shot.

I also think the game is likely to really shift to a more midrange/control orientation over time. Cards like antique healbot are just gonna provide so much healing and staying power that every class has the opportunity to basically be more control oriented imho. So I can build a midrange rogue deck that doesn't just lose when I get low because I can't stabilize and heal myself. Same thing with shaman. Aggro is getting its balls busted. First soulfire nerf, second flare nerf, third more anti-aggro cards, fourth are the healing cards...

It won't happen all at once, for sure, since people will run the decks they have access to right now and work towards the cards they want over time, like at release, but I think we're gonna see aggro much different than it is right now. More long game oriented rather than trying to cheese wins by dealing 15+ damage in the first 5 turns.

Yeah.
Maybe play mode doesn't include single player and matches with friends?
Though i doubt i had nearly 200 of those.

I had the same thing happen back when I hit 1000. I assumed it was AI matches or something? When I'm making new decks I usually try them against AI as a proof of concept first so I probably have a decent number of them but it would still account for more matches than I expected.

Come to think of it, I guess I did play AI up until level 10 with each hero to get all the class cards. That's probably where they accrued. At least two matches per level, times 10 levels times 9 classes. Actually you would think it would probably account for more than that.

Special C

Cut Soneet some slack. Trying out deck concepts at ranks 10-20 is it's own kind of challenge. There is more than one way to challenge yourself at the game. Playing the meta/netdecks and competing at high ranks takes skill, but trying new deck concepts at the low ranks takes it's own kind of skill. It's just a different way to challenge yourself and a different way to enjoy the game. Doesn't mean you are trash if you choose to play the game a different way.

Haunted

Why does Amaz like the Recombobulator so much? "It gives you a chance of getting a great 5 or 6 drop" (as an example) - why not just play that great drop in the first place instead?

It's the Thoughtsteal vs Ysera question from Kibler's Undertaker deck. Why thoughtsteal and gamble to get great endgame finishers when you can just play the endgame finishers yourself.

Haunted

Also, aside from all the crazy effects the new cards have which (possibly) make them very strong - this is what people refer to when they call power creep:

A new neutral common that is just strictly better than the old comparable neutral common (Silverback Patriarch) without any drawbacks.

Also, aside from all the crazy effects the new cards have which (possibly) make them very strong - this is what people refer to when they call power creep:

A new neutral common that is just strictly better than the old comparable neutral common (Silverback Patriarch) without any drawbacks.

Yeah, the power creep is extremely apparent, and I guess it is kinda Blizzard's way of ensuring that people buy the new packs.

Szadek

Cut Soneet some slack. Trying out deck concepts at ranks 10-20 is it's own kind of challenge. There is more than one way to challenge yourself at the game. Playing the meta/netdecks and competing at high ranks takes skill, but trying new deck concepts at the low ranks takes it's own kind of skill. It's just a different way to challenge yourself and a different way to enjoy the game. Doesn't mean you are trash if you choose to play the game a different way.
Noone would have said anything if Soneet wasn't epeen while never making it past rank 10.

You overlooked that Silverback is a beast,and both suck anyway ,so you can hardly talk about power creep.

NBtoaster

Not a beast though.

Haunted

Hm, fair point about not being a beast, though being strictly better in 8 out of 9 classes still qualifies, I think. :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I felt that about the 2/3 stealth minion compared to river croc but it has the same thing happening. Beast tag struggle.

Won

Hm, fair point about not being a beast, though being strictly better in 8 out of 9 classes still qualifies, I think. :D

You seem to forget about Druid of the Fang. That basically doubles Silverback's usefulness!

Hell, Blizzard even felt the need to add Nesingwary to the game to keep the new Beast meta in check!

caesar

Banned

Mechanical yeti would be a better example. Just straight up superior.

ViviOggi

The YOLO Ancient of War Uproot never works. =(
I've seen it once, a stream sniperino uprooted both his Wars because Sjow had a Black Knight in hand. He then put a "u mad strem sniper" MS Paint and an ugly Spider-Man picture overlay over his hand. Won all three or four games against that guy.

Brakara

I know it probably isn't him, but I played someone named frodan, which I guess it is possible to be him since it is early in the season even tho I'm only rank 11. I never pay attention to names like this but it happened to catch my eye.

I beat Kolento on the ladder yesterday, but 'm pretty sure it wasn't him. There should be a Twitter-like verified" sign on the real players...

Special C

Climbing the ranks results in some very annoying losses. I just lost to a Face Hunter as Druid. Stalled out the game with taunts and finally established board control and played my Rag.

Then this FACE Hitting, AGGRO Hunter drops..... Freaking Deathwing??!?!

I lost

Deathwing?!?!

Atuin

Why does Amaz like the Recombobulator so much? "It gives you a chance of getting a great 5 or 6 drop" (as an example) - why not just play that great drop in the first place instead?

It's the Thoughtsteal vs Ysera question from Kibler's Undertaker deck. Why thoughtsteal and gamble to get great endgame finishers when you can just play the endgame finishers yourself.

You can play a minion that has awesome effect and bad body, like Ancient of Lore or Defender of Argus and Recombobulate it. I'll do a test, I'll check what's the 7th 7 mana cost minion in Hearthhead: it was doctor Boom. So in this case Recombo dude gave free +2/+2 buff in addition to being a ok card itself.

You overlooked that Silverback is a beast,and both suck anyway ,so you can hardly talk about power creep.

Gnomeregan infantry could work in gimmicky Hobgoblin deck with 3 mana 3/6 charge taunt Gnomeregan infantry, Flying machines, Acolytes of Pain, Demolishers, Imp Masters, Echoing Oozes, Annoy-o-Trons, Micro machines, Junkbots and so on.

FeD.nL

The more I think about it the more I find Malorne an amazing druid legendary. I mean in ramp druid he's going to be nightmare fuel for the opponent. I mean how do you deal with a 9/7 on turn 3/5 in a way that he does not come back to haunt you later on. For me it's one of the top 3 if not top 1 legendaries in this set.

ViviOggi

I wouldn't rate Malorne that highly personally but I can see him in slow Taunt Druid decks that tend to get closer to fatigue than the current "drop whatever sticky crap you can find until you draw combo" Druid.

ZealousD

Yeah, the power creep is extremely apparent, and I guess it is kinda Blizzard's way of ensuring that people buy the new packs.

What would be the point of releasing new cards if all the cards were worse than all the existing cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom