• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Reckful was fuckin with LS and brought the server down.

frequency

That's my fault, I submitted too early. I edited above.

But you're still wrong. shazam

It's not just about play though. It's also about deck preparation and things like that. Rdu has consistently been doing well in tournaments. How can you say that doesn't show skill?

Luck is indeed a factor, but it's not the defining factor over a longer period of time. You look at several games, series, tournaments, and those who consistently do well are because they can properly mitigate the effects of RNG to perform consistently well.

I'm not even particularly a Rdu fan. I just think he has shown that he is one of the top Hearthstone tournament players with his performance over several since Dreamhack.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on what constitutes skill in this game.

scy

Maybe I'm giving Amaz and his results too much credit, or maybe I just extrapolated too much from my own experience (I started seriously trying Priest again after seeing him featured on Liquid Hearth, reading about his tournament wins and looking up some of his fun combo plays on the Youtubes).

Priest was the "lets have fun" class I played in Legend so I'm fairly familiar with it too. The big weakness of the deck(s) across the board was the inconsistency of it since it had so many combo plays. Naxx slowed the game down a bit and the Naxx cards sped Priest up as well which helped them immensely. Besides that, they have a few more standalone plays now too so their start is less awkward.

In Tournament play, it got away with more tech choices than some other classes and had a baseline good anti-Control match-up. Plus, Amaz is an amazing pilot of Priest and is the primary reason it had that #1 win rate anyway :x

I do agree that Priest is in a really damn good spot now, though.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on what constitutes skill in this game.

That's the thread in a nutshell :x

Tarazet

Priest was the "lets have fun" class I played in Legend so I'm fairly familiar with it too. The big weakness of the deck(s) across the board was the inconsistency of it since it had so many combo plays. Naxx slowed the game down a bit and the Naxx cards sped Priest up as well which helped them immensely. Besides that, they have a few more standalone plays now too so their start is less awkward.

In Tournament play, it got away with more tech choices than some other classes and had a baseline good anti-Control match-up. Plus, Amaz is an amazing pilot of Priest and is the primary reason it had that #1 win rate anyway :x

I do agree that Priest is in a really damn good spot now, though.

Priest is all right now. It holds its own in a lot of matchups, but Zoo is still pretty much the gold standard for consistency, and Handlock is a very dependable anti-aggro deck whenever those start to crop up. I don't see there being an end to Warlock anytime soon.

arimanius

You are wrong. If I were the only asshole who thought this I'd gladly admit it. The first 3 streams I hit after the tourney all said the same thing - RDU played like shit this tournament, he has played better before actually, but rng bailed him out.

Can't disagree there.

What streams did you hit after the tourney? Trying to find more sources of info so I can improve my game.

bigkrev

Brian Kibler (MTG Hall of Famer), who admitted that in order to have a 5th deck he grinded Hunter to level 10 this morning to have the basic cards, is in the finals of the Sunshine Open (http://www.twitch.tv/chanmanv), after he just bodied his semifinal opponent 4-0

Brian Kibler (MTG Hall of Famer), who admitted that in order to have a 5th deck he grinded Hunter to level 10 this morning to have the basic cards, is in the finals of the Sunshine Open (http://www.twitch.tv/chanmanv), after he just bodied his semifinal opponent 4-0

Yep, those innervate shade of naxxramas moves were pretty good and he got it 3/4 of the matches lol.

I am trying it out right now, I just got it in my opening hand first match lol

Haunted

if anyone just watched this nonsense.. look at every post ive ever made about rdu in these threads.. there you go

there you fuckin go
How much luck can you have.
RNG makes Hearthstone so much more exciting to watch.
That final gave me a headache. So much screaming from the announcers. Lol
What a match. R N G B O Y S
Just watched the archive.

Here's my stance: you play Ragnaros in your deck, you accept that RNG is going to be involved. No bitching. :p

I think I am starting to settle on decks I want to play in tournaments. Got my tempo rogue, learning demonlock although I still need jaraxxus which I lifted from gaara, maybe midrange hunter from reynad, and I think I might take an aggro/token druid. The fifth deck I might be interested in playing would be priest or paladin, control or midrange respectively.

And from the looks of it, if bans are allowed I'll need something that does pretty well against handlock. Which sorta works because if I can make my aggro druid work vs handlock, it should also do well against control warrior.

Nothing like going on a losing streak when you're a single win from legendary.

Meh, that sucks, but I personally don't care about legendary. I'm all about developing towards tournaments lately. I still play ladder of course, but mostly learning decks rather than trying to climb.

Haunted

I've watched the stream of Kibler where he makes his first constructed deck (opened 55 packs he won during arena the year before), and I was impressed. Clearly someone who has a good understanding of card mechanics, even if he had little knowledge of Hearthstone (outside of Arena).

johnsmith

remember me
I used to think totemic might lasted for the entire game like shadowform. Then I tried it in arena, and was sorely disappointed.

So this is weird. A guy Silenced Fuegen with a Keeper of the Grove, but Thaddius still got summoned. Anyone else know of something like this happening?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Did Feugen's death summon Thaddius or did the other guys death summon Thaddius?

Stalagg's death triggered, he was the second one to die. I know for sure I didn't use Reincarnate or Ancestral Spirit because I Farsighted into Al'Akir and was saving them for a combo.

Are you saying that only one death rattle actually has to go off?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Deathrattle is the only thing that actually summons Thaddius. As long as one of the two died at any point in the game, from any player, the other's death will recognize it and trigger Thaddius.

There is no point to silencing the first one, only the second. The only thing you can do against the first one is to transform it.

playing a post-naxx priest deck is...weird. I tried the zombie chow undertaker deck, and the kolento watcher wailing soul deck, but those were way too confusing for me to play so I'm doing Trump's deck right now which has a bunch of holdovers from pre-naxx priest like injured blademasters and pyromancers.

This is is going to take some time to get used to, priest isn't just "does it have 4 health?" anymore.

Alrus

Turn 1 Innervate + 2 Undertaker and a Leper Gnome then Turn 2 Coin+Harvest golem is a pretty fun opening.

Edit: Also Hafu got over 2300 bucks in donations from one single dude this month, dude is either extremely rich or insane :/

Flayer

Nothing like going on a losing streak when you're a single win from legendary.
It took me 5 matches at Rank 1 5 Star to finally win one and get to Legend. I had to chill, take a break and come back because I was close to tilting pretty hard.

What deck are you using? I've been playing Secrets Mage.

Zemm

God damn priest is fun. I don't really have the best deck for it because I'm missing some pretty important cards but still, the combos you can do are so satisfying.

Tacitus_

Haha, my draws were godlike for this arena match. Need a fireball? Draw a fireball. Need a sheep? Draw a sheep :D

Felt sorry for my opponent when dropped an Ironbark and I topdecked a sheep. (could've handled it with my board but it would've taken my whole board)

Fixed1979

playing a post-naxx priest deck is...weird. I tried the zombie chow undertaker deck, and the kolento watcher wailing soul deck, but those were way too confusing for me to play so I'm doing Trump's deck right now which has a bunch of holdovers from pre-naxx priest like injured blademasters and pyromancers.

This is is going to take some time to get used to, priest isn't just "does it have 4 health?" anymore.

That zombie undertaker deck is lots of fun, I only managed to pull off the double chow+soulpriest+rivendare+circle once, but is was very satisfying. I was so excited to have it in my hand that I forgot to attack with the chows before circling.

Tacitus_

Ahahaha, just got auchenai circled in arena... and then the mastermind holy fires my 2 health water elemental instead of healing it and damages himself for 5, giving me lethal. (argent squire on board, frostbolt in hand + hero power)

Spoo

Howdy Hearthstone GAF. I didn't even know you guys existed because I literally never browse Community, but now that I know you're all here I will probably be frequenting because I was recently bitten by the Hearthstone bug.

A few questions for elite players: I'm working on Sapphiron on Heroic right now, using this deck. It seems like it will work, but the conditions for it are really, really picky RNG-wise, even though I think it's better than the previous Hunter deck I was using for this fight. The primary problem is, even with arcane it's taking me too long to get all the cards I need for this to work before Sapphiron drops 3 of his most damaging spells (Ice-something or other, which hits for 8 damage and since it's a spell does not trigger the secret in my deck for adding +8 armor). Super aggravating; beating these heroic bosses feels almost like a passion project for me at this point lol. So, yeah, any help on how to do this, or is it just Gluth-style play-until-lucky-as-fuck.

Now that I have gotten that question out of the way... damn, what a game. I only discovered this because of a Twitch streamer I watch, and up until Hearth have never touched a card game (that's kind of a lie, I think I did pokemon cards briefly as a kid, but never got into it). I took myself through ranked to 19 or 18 to guarantee myself the card back for this season, and have worked through all the SP content / achievements since I started not 3 weeks ago. This shit is crack though, to the point where, I'll admit, I dropped some cash so I could build more interesting decks. Have since gotten a few friends into the game to play with too.

Coming in with Naxxramas just coming out was a pretty cool experience, because I've gotten to see the game evolve at a pretty quick pace. Other than the heroic bosses which just have seemed too cheap to me, the content was really good and it has me excited for more expansions for the game. I still feel kind of noobish (I will, often, make the wrong calls, or do combos in the wrong order if I'm not paying enough attention), but I love the fact that I can actually compete with people when I play now. Difficult learning curve to say the least.

Anyway, that's my Hearthstone story. If anyone wants to friend me, or guide me lol I'll gladly PM my battle tag for more people to play with.

A few questions for elite players: I'm working on Sapphiron on Heroic right now, using this deck. It seems like it will work, but the conditions for it are really, really picky RNG-wise, even though I think it's better than the previous Hunter deck I was using for this fight. The primary problem is, even with arcane it's taking me too long to get all the cards I need for this to work before Sapphiron drops 3 of his most damaging spells (Ice-something or other, which hits for 8 damage and since it's a spell does not trigger the secret in my deck for adding +8 armor). Super aggravating; beating these heroic bosses feels almost like a passion project for me at this point lol. So, yeah, any help on how to do this, or is it just Gluth-style play-until-lucky-as-fuck.

hmm. this seems like it could work you just need to get lucky because there are no ice blocks so you have fewer turns to get your win condition engine going.

i think hunter is a better way to beat this fight but you might not have all the cards needed. i'll try this mage thing out a bit it looks like it could be fun if you get it working.

update: yeah, it works pretty okay. you have to save all of your spells for killing minions. and you need to play greedy so your flamestrikes take out nearly full boards. and wait for those 5/6 guys to use your fireballs. at first i thought bluegills were bad in the deck but they're good for setting up beefier minions for a flamestrike or blizzard.

Equality is such bullshit.

I was playing a Paladin yesterday who looked to be running an aggro deck. I was playing a control Warrior, so I was running a much slower deck with much bigger minions. At turn 5 he had a Harvest Golem on the board. I dropped a Stalagg and ended my turn. He plays Argent Protector on his Harvest Golem and an Acolyte of Pain and attacks face with his board. I attack him for 7 with Stalagg and drop Cairne. He plays an Aldo Peacekeeper on Stalagg, a secret, and then hero powers. Instead of killing Stalagg with his board, he goes for face again. Hell, he should've killed Stalagg outright and Peacekeepered Cairne, but whatever. I attack his Silver Hand Recruit with Stalagg and trigger Redemption, so he gets back a Silver Hand Recruit, I play Faceless Manipulator on Cairne and equip a Fiery War Axe. I take out his Peacekeeper and hit face with Cairne and end my turn. Now the guy makes what might be the worst play I've ever seen. I've got a board with two Cairnes and a 1/3 Stalagg, and he has a Harvest Golem with Divine Shield, an Acolyte of Pain, an Argent Protector, and a freshly revived Silver Hand Recruit. He plays Equality and then ATTACKS FACE with his board. Now, I realize that Cairne's death rattle wouldn't exactly be ideal for him, but he's going to have to deal with it eventually, especially since there's two of them. But there's no excuse for not at least clearing the now 1/1 Stalagg with Acolyte of Pain and drawing a card. I drop Kel'Thuzad and then trade my minions for his. At the end of the turn, Kel'Thuzad revives my casualties and I'm left with 2X Baine Bloodhoof, 2X Cairne, a brand new Stalagg, and Kel'Thuzad. He immediately resigns.

H1PSTER

Anyone have any decent Deathrattle decks they'd share with me?

I made this one but I'm not really happy with it.

4szoqzJ.png

You probably want to switch out the Oozes for something else since you don't have a lot of buffs. Unless if the point is to summon two 1/2s, but I think there would be better 2 drops for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom