• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

Double post, but I was playing Mage in constructed, and a Priest did something against me that really stuck with me.

He went first: Northshire Cleric.
Me: Coin - Knife Juggler.
Him: Inner Fire, turning the Cleric into a 3/3.. then attacks to the face with it.

What I did was kind of a punt.. depending on him to not have removal, so that I could kill the Cleric without having to use a Frostbolt. What that priest did was an epic punt. It was brilliant. Of course I didn't have a Frostbolt.. because I would have used it already. So he traded 2 cards (cleric + inner fire) for my two cards (knife juggler + coin) plus 3 damage to the face.

manhack

For those of you who are saying the expansion has dulled your interest...I am in shock. Right now is the most interesting the game has been in forever. I am trying tons of new decks and they are really fun.

Some really crazy things that you can do in this new meta. Yes, hunter, zoo, etc. can be annoying, but there is fun to be had.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Double post, but I was playing Mage in constructed, and a Priest did something against me that really stuck with me.

He went first: Northshire Cleric.
Me: Coin - Knife Juggler.
Him: Inner Fire, turning the Cleric into a 3/3.. then attacks to the face with it.

What I did was kind of a punt.. depending on him to not have removal, so that I could kill the Cleric without having to use a Frostbolt. What that priest did was an epic punt. It was brilliant. Of course I didn't have a Frostbolt.. because I would have used it already. So he traded 2 cards (cleric + inner fire) for my two cards (knife juggler + coin) plus 3 damage to the face.

Eh, I wouldn't necessarily use a frostbolt against a Turn 1 cleric in constructed. There's no reason to burn key removal like that if the priest can't get a draw off the cleric.

johnsmith

remember me
Eh, I wouldn't necessarily use a frostbolt against a Turn 1 cleric in constructed. There's no reason to burn key removal like that if the priest can't get a draw off the cleric.

Tell that to the hunters who always hunter's mark mine so they can kill it with their webspinner.

Tarazet

It's too easy to follow up with a PW:S. Then you automatically give him another free card, or else waste a Fireball. That's why I considered the Knife Juggler not as secure a play as a Frostbolt would have been.

Tell that to the hunters who always hunter's mark mine so they can kill it with their webspinner.

That seems pretty reckless against a class that can get out a 32/32 taunter by turn 4.

ZZMitch

Just finished off heroic Naxx!

Grobbulus and the final wing were the toughest for me. Kel'Thazud was my favorite, went down to fatigue and I ended with only one Silver Hand Recruit on the board, tense stuff!

Atuin

Anyone have any decent Deathrattle decks they'd share with me?

s5Z5tQf.jpg

This has worked surprisingly well. Egg + Reincarnate/Flametongue/Rockbiter for early game, Feugen and Stalagg bait removal before Earth and Fire elementals, Kel'Thuzad or reincarnated Leeroy to win the game.

ShinNL

So how do you fight versus handlocks? It's not a common deck but I'm always sort of lost when I play against it
Depends in which class you play. I usually play Shaman, Paladin and Warrior and I just use their class cards to deal with them. But two out of 3 decks have giants and faceless of their own. When you out giant a handlock... feels good man xD

A priest with a silence theme is also extremely strong against a Warlock (think Ancient Watcher, Zombie Chow, Dancing Swords with Wailing Soul and Silence and Spellbreaker. Nothing a Warlock puts out is a threat, even without Shadow Word Death in your hand because you can trade 2 4 attack minions quite easily.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Almost spilled my drink laughing at this reddit comment:

World of Hearthstone: Wrath of the Cancerous Hunter

My son, the day you were born, the very chats of twitch.tv whispered the name HUNTER.

My child, I watched with pride as you grew into a weapon of cancerousness.

Remember, our line has always ruled with aggro and face. And I know you will show no restraint when reaching your legend rank.

But the truest victory, my son, is stirring the hearts of your viewers. I tell you this, for when my days have come to an end, you shall be CANCER.

Gotchaye

So how do you fight versus handlocks? It's not a common deck but I'm always sort of lost when I play against it

Some decks are just going to be screwed, but others have to play a bit differently than they otherwise would. It really helps to be aware of what Handlocks can do on each turn and at certain amounts of HP. Turn 4 can be a big turn because they can toss out a Mountain Giant or Twilight Drake, for example.

It can be tempting to try to rush them down, but you need to be careful because Molten Giants cost (HP - 10). They can turn a game around really quickly if you get them down to low teens HP - they can toss out one or two Molten Giants and taunt them. So what you often want to do is take them from high teens to dead in one turn, if at all possible, or have enough silences and hard removal (or direct damage spells) to get the job done over two turns even if they put out an 8/8 taunt or two.

Big Game Hunters always help.

zoukka

Why not? You lose one card instead of priest getting one card next turn and maybe buffing the cleric. You need to finish off Priest quickly as a hunter.

Depends in which class you play. I usually play Shaman, Paladin and Warrior and I just use their class cards to deal with them. But two out of 3 decks have giants and faceless of their own. When you out giant a handlock... feels good man xD

A priest with a silence theme is also extremely strong against a Warlock (think Ancient Watcher, Zombie Chow, Dancing Swords with Wailing Soul and Silence and Spellbreaker. Nothing a Warlock puts out is a threat, even without Shadow Word Death in your hand because you can trade 2 4 attack minions quite easily.

Some decks are just going to be screwed, but others have to play a bit differently than they otherwise would. It really helps to be aware of what Handlocks can do on each turn and at certain amounts of HP. Turn 4 can be a big turn because they can toss out a Mountain Giant or Twilight Drake, for example.

It can be tempting to try to rush them down, but you need to be careful because Molten Giants cost (HP - 10). They can turn a game around really quickly if you get them down to low teens HP - they can toss out one or two Molten Giants and taunt them. So what you often want to do is take them from high teens to dead in one turn, if at all possible, or have enough silences and hard removal (or direct damage spells) to get the job done over two turns even if they put out an 8/8 taunt or two.

Big Game Hunters always help.

Thanks, will try to be more mindful of turn 4 and health totals. Everytime I've beaten a handlock it's because I got the cards and mana to do my deck's burst combo and they didn't have enough stuff to stop it, but it felt completely random as to whether or not he had the molten giants and protectors in his hand.

for anyone interested in a scumbag deathrattle deck, this is my first attempt at deckbuilding

HgEcRW8.png

it's kind of theoretical, but after hitting a wall with reynad's op hunter i've been testing a variant of it today (-2 zombie chow, -1 cairne, -1 kodo || +1 bow, +1 loot hoarder, +1 flare, +1 freezing trap) and it's been pretty good below rank 5.

i think it's working because mulligans are really easy, you just look for cheap rattlers or a nice curve. it's pretty foolproof.

edit, maybe a belcher would be better than kodo. dunno

So I decided to buy 40 packs yesterday 'cos I really needed Cairne. Well, no Cairne...no Legendaries whatsoever. Dusting all the extras gave me 1200 dust or something. Then I had to sacrifice some Epics to get 1600. After crafting Cairne I took it for a spin in a couple of games and felt satisfied. Today I drafted a Rogue deck for the Arena and ended up 2-3 with 30g and a card pack. I guess you all know how the story ends...

Yeah, got a Cairne from the pack.

For those of you who are saying the expansion has dulled your interest...I am in shock. Right now is the most interesting the game has been in forever. I am trying tons of new decks and they are really fun.

Some really crazy things that you can do in this new meta. Yes, hunter, zoo, etc. can be annoying, but there is fun to be had.

This expansion has completely ruined HS with all the dumb hunter shit. There is no fun to be had.

Raxus

This expansion has completely ruined HS with all the dumb hunter shit. There is no fun to be had.

It is a shame they successfully mixed up the game but the one card they forgot to add was a neutral that dealt with secrets. The only secret deck I dealt with that was straight up awful was paladin. Mages are alright but easy to play around. Hunters are impossible since anything but small minions will set off a devastating trap. Add their hero power and hunter's mark into the mix and it just gets even worse.

Hunters are beatable, they are just a slightly bigger headache to deal with now since they have more early game value.

On a side note, this DDoS attack is messing with me. I just need to want to get my daily quest completed for the day.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EU acting retarded for anyone else?

Brakara

It is a shame they successfully mixed up the game but the one card they forgot to add was a neutral that dealt with secrets. The only secret deck I dealt with that was straight up awful was paladin. Mages are alright but easy to play around. Hunters are impossible since anything but small minions will set off a devastating trap. Add their hero power and hunter's mark into the mix and it just gets even worse.

Need a neutral minion, say dwarven scout, that acts like flare (without the card draw). Maybe 2 mana, 1/1, destroy all secrets, minions lose stealth ?

frequency

Secrets are just bad design. There is no counter except to trigger it.

Well.. There is one counter: Flare.

Flare is a dumb card. 1 mana for 1 draw is already really good (deck thinning). But it has the added affect of also cancelling secrets. That's really powerful.

Nothing around secrets is well designed, in my opinion. They're not fun to play against. Even when they weren't as strong, it was still stupid annoying and un-fun to play against them. The one counter to it is a ridiculously powerful card and available to only 1 class.

Secrets are the one thing I think Blizzard really did wrong with Hearthstone and we're stuck with them.

Zemm

Secrets just aren't fun to play against. Win or lose I'm just happy the match is over. I wouldn't mind them removing them altogether (obviously not going to happen).

Raxus

Need a neutral minion, say dwarven scout, that acts like flare (without the card draw). Maybe 2 mana, 1/1, destroy all secrets, minions lose stealth ?

Hell a legendary Harrison Jones like card that works just for secrets would be great too.

Panthers

Secrets just aren't fun to play against. Win or lose I'm just happy the match is over. I wouldn't mind them removing them altogether (obviously not going to happen).

Yea, there needs to be cards that activate on the opponents turn, since we cant play cards during their turn (that would be hard in a fast online game like HS) Secrets are a great way of doing that, but also allows the opponent to play around them.

They are annoying though but at least you know they are there.

Minsc

Gold Member
Secrets are just bad design. There is no counter except to trigger it.

No direct counter, but you can play around them just fine, and that's counter enough. Attacking with a enrage card in to a explosive trap, or hexing an archmage antonidas then killing the frog to trigger duplicate counters them in the sense they're getting no value... in the case of attacking with an enrage minion, the secret is actually hurting them. Likewise you can play a novice engineer in to a mirror entity, and that pretty much counters that secret. Coin counters counter-spell nicely if you have it too.

frequency

No direct counter, but you can play around them just fine, and that's counter enough. Attacking with a enrage card in to a explosive trap, or hexing an archmage antonidas then killing the frog to trigger duplicate counters them in the sense they're getting no value... in the case of attacking with an enrage minion, the secret is actually hurting them. Likewise you can play a novice engineer in to a mirror entity, and that pretty much counters that secret. Coin counters counter-spell nicely if you have it too.

So like I said, "There is no counter except to trigger it."

That often means playing a suboptimal turn or even purposely making "bad" plays to get around it if you have the right cards to do so. That's simply not fun.

Well... not fun to me at least. I understand if you like it. I'm always speaking just from my own perspective though.

Raxus

Most of those are incredibly class specific. For example priest, unless I get an extremely lucky thoughtsteal I have no tools to avoid duplicate other than to swing for their face and hope they summon something I won't mind killing and I am not going to run an enrage minion (which hunters can easily get around) in order to trigger trap. Hunters are going to get value from their traps 90% of the time. There is no way to efficiently deal with a trap apart from running boars in a deck and giving up synergy to deal with one particular class.

johnsmith

remember me

Except that explosive trap is a freezing trap and that duplicate is a counter spell. They're secret, remember. While you try to setup your board to counter what you think the secret is your opponent is beating your face and/or clearing your board.

Minsc

Gold Member
Except that explosive trap is a freezing trap and that duplicate is a counter spell. They're secret, remember. While you try to setup your board to counter what you think the secret is your opponent is beating your face and/or clearing your board.

Well obviously you should have ways of deducting what they are, and can makes your plays accordingly. If you play around them in the most optimal way, then the further down the list it triggers, the less an effect it should have.

I find secrets interesting because it's balancing risk vs reward in an otherwise pretty black and white game.

Maybe it would be better if they added another 200 secrets across all classes to the game... then it would be extremely interactive while it's not your turn. Of course, Flare is an issue, and it's inevitable they'll have to remove it eventually.

Maybe when there's a third expansion they'll make a revised set, and start phasing out cards from the original set... or maybe they will just nerf it to not draw a card. If Flare didn't draw a card, I imagine it would be run a ton less often (though in the case they expand secrets greatly in an expansion, Flare would need more of a rework, maybe just remove 1 secret, or make it's casting cost 4 mana if it's going to remove all of them).

Badgerst3

Annnnd blizzard down for me. West coat USA. Fucking ddos pricks.

Blizzard and sony need to step up and hire some ass kicking 16 year old hackers to counter this shit. Pay em in legendary cards or better yet- design a card around them.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I generally think that most of the secrets are fine. They aren't that strong for what they do because you can play around them and they have a delayed effect. For example, avenge is quite strong in that it is 5 stats for 1 mana. However, you can play around it by keeping their board clear or not attacking their minions. And if you must trigger it you can control what creature gets the buff. So it feels like a fair card to me. Same with most of them.

The only two I feel are out of place are explosive and freezing trap. If we compare explosive to consecrate, you get the same effect for 2 mana less. So there needs to be significant downsides to make up for this 2 mana discount.

Can you play around it? A little bit.. sometimes... but often not. If you play cards that buff health you can stop it from killing your creatures but the consecrate effect still happened and in fact did more damage because of the buff creature now on the board. But the effect being delayed and not under your control could still be considered a downside. A 2 mana downside? I don't think so but I think explosive is arguable whether it is overpowered or not.

And freezing trap at 2 mana, when played by a smart player, is significantly better than sap even though they cost the same.

Hunter is in this weird place where they overall have bad cards except for a handful that are overpowered (flare, buzzard, unleash, traps, savanna). And these handful of cards are so powerful that it makes the deck effective. And when a new card that has synergy with these already disgusting cards comes out (mad scientist) it tips them over the edge in terms of power level. But so much of their deck (beasts) are outright bad, that if you nerf these cards you kill the class.

Hunter is always right on this edge of being too powerful. We saw this with 2 mana unleash and the problem was fixed by changing it to 3. Now the problem has arisen again with scientist. And while the problem could be fixed by another nerf to hunter, this cycle of problems will continue just because of the way hunter is designed. And I have no idea what the solution to that is short of redesigning the entire class.

And so I suspect these hunter cycles will continue throughout hearthstone's lifetime.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The only two I feel are out of place are explosive and freezing trap. If we compare explosive to consecrate, you get the same effect for 2 mana less. So there needs to be significant downsides to make up for this 2 mana discount.

Can you play around it? A little bit.. sometimes... but often not. If you play cards that buff health you can stop it from killing your creatures but the consecrate effect still happened and in fact did more damage because of the buff creature now on the board.

I honestly think its rather dumb that explosive trap also does damage to the hero. Even if you can play around it that face damage is unavoidable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom