• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't realize that when you use a minion from Unstable Portal, it lets the other player know, that's cool. Really rubs the salt in when it's just what the player needed.

That card is gonna be so frustrating. It might even be OP. I wonder what the chances are of getting a 6 drop to play on turn 3 are and just winning due to a huge advantage like that. It is like an innervate for mage, that doesn't take 2 cards from your hand or deck to play. Imagine if druids could innervate out a spectral knight, but for only one card on turn 3. The balancing factor around innervate has always been that it costs a card to gain the advantage.

Slashlen

That card is gonna be so frustrating. It might even be OP. I wonder what the chances are of getting a 6 drop to play on turn 3 are and just winning due to a huge advantage like that. It is like an innervate for mage, that doesn't take 2 cards from your hand or deck to play. Imagine if druids could innervate out a spectral knight, but for only one card on turn 3. The balancing factor around innervate has always been that it costs a card to gain the advantage.

If anything, it's more like a Shaman card because you do pay most of the mana cost for the minion, just over two turns. It's just that instead of overloading, you're pre-loading.

Considering you can get every minion in the game,this card will give you bad results more often than not.

Considering you can get every minion in the game,this card will give you bad results more often than not.

People have done the math and the chances are very high you'll get something acceptable but still sometimes you'll often get a big hit and just win the game.

If anything, it's more like a Shaman card because you do pay most of the mana cost for the minion, just over two turns. It's just that instead of overloading, you're pre-loading.

Well you get 1 mana off overall, so sort of like an innervate without the downside of it costing an additional card.

Haunted

Many cards are bad because they cost too much for what they give you.

If you take off 3 mana of a bad card, it automatically becomes a much better card. I'd say the chances to get a bad result with Unstable Portal are pretty slim. Any 1-2-3 card becomes a free card. 4-5-6 cards are often great and rarely bad. Many 7-8-9 cards are so strong, they can just win you the game when played three turns early.

I can imagine people coining unstable portal. What if they just get a turn two 5 drop? Is that GG? Maybe. Probably. We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if this card is changed in the long run.

Slashlen

Well you get 1 mana off overall, so sort of like an innervate without the downside of it costing an additional card.

But with the added drawback of the card being random(the Wisp dream), and you're using two turns if you draw a larger creature that you want to play early(your Spectral Knight example). Innervate costs a card, but you can use it on what you want, and it doesn't require a turn of doing nothing to play early.

It's a very good card if you can stomach the randomness though. Even a lot of the current "bad" cards are good or at least decent at one less mana. The main worry is getting a mediocre/bad 2 drop or less.

FeD.nL

How can he attack 4 times?

635509670351058353.png

But yeah, you are basically dead if you ever let this one get on the board.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I can imagine people coining unstable portal. What if they just get a turn two 5 drop? Is that GG? Maybe. Probably. We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if this card is changed in the long run.

What if you just get a wisp? Then it's also GG. People generally like decks that are consistent, and this is not a consistent card.

G.ZZZ

The only way Bolvar would work if it had Charge. Then it would give Paladin a decent finisher/combo like Druids/Rogues/Warlocks, even if would be much more unreliable than those.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Ha got 100 gold yesterday and today i get a 100 gold quest, blizzard does love me ;P Now all i have to do now is to wait for the expansion to come out.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The only way Bolvar would work if it had Charge. Then it would give Paladin a decent finisher/combo like Druids/Rogues/Warlocks, even if would be much more unreliable than those.

Bolvar would be downright broken if he had charge. Bolvar + Faceless would be such an ever-present threat that you would never feel comfortable with any life total against a Paladin. At least with Druid and Shaman burst you know exactly which life totals put you in range for lethal.

Every elite player I've seen comment on Unstable Portal has it anywhere from "really good" to "completely insane". Yeah, there's a chance it gives you something worthless, which doesn't justify the cost of 2-mana plus one slot in your deck (like Wisp). There's also a chance it completely unbalances the game, like getting a 5-drop on T2, or a 6 drop on T3, or a powerful legendary. Most of the time it'll fall somewhere in between, while being one of the fairly rare cards that's good to coin out T1, a good mid-game tempo-gain and decent in a top-decking war.

I've only played three Arenas with the G&G cards (9 wins Priest, 5 wins Mage, currently 4-1 as Mage), but so far I've played very few trash decks that used to be common in the early matches (where people would play stuff like Redemption and Goldshire Footman). Almost every deck I've seen has looked at least decent, and I've ran into a few extremely strong Mage and Priest decks (Shrinkmeister is going to be played in constructed, I guarantee).

jblank83

I had a draft with Unstable Portal. Not once did it let me down. I'm sure it draws clunkers and chumps, but usually it's a very value play.

jblank83

I really love how it draws from every minion in the game(excluding Mister Bigglesworth)

I played a Stormwind Champion for 4 mana. I played a Scarlet Crusader for 0. I played a Sneed's Old Shredder for 5. Unstable Portal can straight out win games.

I mean, I might draw a Wisp someday, but from what I've seen the randomness is completely acceptable. And even when it does draw garbage, it's a minimal loss of 2 mana and a "free" cost minion.

G.ZZZ

Bolvar would be downright broken if he had charge. Bolvar + Faceless would be such an ever-present threat that you would never feel comfortable with any life total against a Paladin. At least with Druid and Shaman burst you know exactly which life totals put you in range for lethal.

You'd need to have SIX of your minions die with this in hand for Bolvar + faceless to be equal to Roar + innervate. That's incredibly unreliable and still bad.

Zeroth

I really feel there's something odd about the randomness of the "summon a 2/3/whatever cost minion". It feels like Legendaries have bigger odds to show up, which can be partically blamed on how some mana slots have more legendaries than common cards (so, for example, if Unstable Portal decides to summon a 8-mana minion, the odds of it being a legendary are much bigger than a 2-mana minion). However, I've also seen at least 2 Chos and 1 Millhouse from the 4-mana mech, and I haven't even seen that many of it, so I wouldn't be surprised if Legendaries have higher than usual chances of being summoned.

ViviOggi

You'd need to have SIX of your minions die with this in hand for Bolvar + faceless to be equal to Roar + innervate. That's incredibly unreliable and still bad.
Or just Leeroy + Faceless which are neutral cards. You'd be lucky if you got a Doomguard out of him which still isn't worth wasting your mulligan.

You get it as long as you have an active Arena run.
You don't need to have an active run either, it's supposed to depict the goblins' and gnomes' tinkering.

FeD.nL

They really dropped the ball on that one. Would have preferred it if it was an upgraded Stormwind Champion or perhaps a combination of that + Stormwind Knight. Would have fit the card much better. But in his current incarnation they should have just made it a standard value increase as opposed to a buff that can be silenced.

edit created this:

Something like this, a combination of a Tundra Rhino and Stormwind Champion. A commander that leads the charge.

jblank83

Something like this, a combination of a Tundra Rhino and Stormwind Champion. A commander that leads the charge.

I'd take it. I'd take anything over Bolvar as it is now, though.

Also, it really needs to not be 1/2/3 attack. Might as well forfeit to priests immediately.

Leezard

They really dropped the ball on that one. Would have preferred it if it was an upgraded Stormwind Champion or perhaps a combination of that + Stormwind Knight. Would have fit the card much better. But in his current incarnation they should have just made it a standard value increase as opposed to a buff that can be silenced.

edit created this:

Return of the Molten Giant OTK!

FeD.nL

Hmm yeah, probably went a bit overboard. Still I just don't see how the card we currently have fits the character. But still I really like most of the other cards, ah well can't wait for tomorrow.

gutshot

I don't though, so I guess something is messed up. If it's not fixed after today's maintenance I guess I'll just buy a run and hope it goes away after that one is complete. Thanks

As Vivi said, it's constantly like that, active arena run or not. It's to signify that the goblins and gnomes have tinkered with arena. It may get reset once the official launch happens, we'll see.

I really feel there's something odd about the randomness of the "summon a 2/3/whatever cost minion". It feels like Legendaries have bigger odds to show up, which can be partically blamed on how some mana slots have more legendaries than common cards (so, for example, if Unstable Portal decides to summon a 8-mana minion, the odds of it being a legendary are much bigger than a 2-mana minion). However, I've also seen at least 2 Chos and 1 Millhouse from the 4-mana mech, and I haven't even seen that many of it, so I wouldn't be surprised if Legendaries have higher than usual chances of being summoned.

Roughly 15% of the cards in the game are legendary minions. When these minions have just as good a chance at showing up as commons and rares (unlike in packs), you are going to see them quite often.

Minsc

Gold Member
Unstable portal is a nice arena card, unplayable in constructed.

Even with the randomness it's one of the best 2-drops in the game. People calculated the odds, and in everything but the worst case scenarios it is quite the swing, and there's something like a 1:6 chance of pulling a legendary and a generally great chance of grabbing something that gives a lot of value. Generally worst case scenario is you play a 1 or 2 drop for free, which can usually trade with another small minion. But even in that scenario you can still control when you play the card so if it gave you something like Doomsayer it still can be useful.

I think it's just that the odds are really good, it's not like Pagle where you have a 50/50 shot of having it pay off (Pagle is actually way less now), you get a good chance to straight out win games with it, at the cost of a 2-drop minion spot.

Very great card, and people are expecting a nerf of it actually it seems (whether to 2-mana reduction or to a 3-mana casting cost).

I would imagine it would be sometime in the morning Pacific time since they will want all day to fix anything that breaks.

There is a 2(?) hour scheduled maintenance at 11AM PST right? Sometime after that I'd expect, and perhaps even an Android launch later tonight? Though I haven't read anything more about that other than in the leaked notes about the free packs.

krossj

How can a hunter get a Malorne in the ladder from web spinner? I know it is a beast but having cards from the expansion available in that way seems unbalanced.

I started playing this again and probably stopped again. The new cards seem like they could add something but i still feel the game is ridiculously balanced and a lot of the new cards only add another layer of randomness which i think this game could do without anymore of. I guess the free to play element is still what irks me most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom