• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Well I'm all set. Here goes nothing.

njkaTs3.jpg

drgambit

Banned
Mind posting your decklist? I haven't gotten to the point of crafting the last few cards I need for my Shamurloc deck but once I get through a few Arena runs I plan to. Figure I'll see what I pull from my Arena packs first in the next day or two before I craft anything.

I am in no way a good deckbuilder. I mostly play for fun, here's what I built:

Hearthpwn

I didnt have enough dust for the crabs and the slitfin, but thats what I want it to be... I think I have a rockbiter, a feral, and a flametongue as replacements...

drgambit

Banned
Tides lost against a pirate deck on stream 8 hours ago. He immediately deleted the deck he was playing.

My problem with theme decks is that I put all the cards in that fits the theme (i.e. ALL pirates). I dont half-ass and leave some out to create 'synergy' or whatever the fuck you all call it...

borghe

Livestream that business
I was going to live stream last night.... GG blizzard. Sadly the only chance I'll have to open them before tomorrow now is at work on my iPad which there's no way to stream. Not totally a no, but I'm pretty sure I just won't have a chance.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Man, Muster for Battle + Quartermaster is serious business. That combo can just outright win you the game if played on curve and your dudes survive. I basically beat a handlock with just Shielded Minibot, Muster for Battle, and Coin+Quartermaster

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I was able to open 10 packs last night before the store crashed and happened to get 2 coghammers. So I crafted 2 muster for battle and played a bunch of paladin. Went something like 15-3 (though I'm only rank 10 since I haven't been playing this season)

I originally thought coghammer, while a good card, would be too clunky to fit into paladin because you have the weapon from muster for battle and you have truesilver. And it just doesn't curve well into truesilver.

But after last night I am prepared to declare coghammer > truesilver

jblank83

I originally thought coghammer, while a good card, would be too clunky to fit into paladin because you have the weapon from muster for battle and you have truesilver. And it just doesn't curve well into truesilver.

But after last night I am prepared to declare coghammer > truesilver

The weapon from muster for battle is garbage. It's not new. It's free so that makes it good, but there's a reason almost no one used it before GvG.

Coghammer is nice, but Truesilver has its value as well. I wouldn't say one is totally better than another, unless you can guarantee the divine shield lands on your Boulderfist Ogre or whatnot.

It's more like a Warrior/Rogue situation now, where Paladin has a good choice of weapons, all of which are useful in different ways.

slayn

The weapon from muster for battle is garbage. It's not new. It's free so that makes it good, but there's a reason almost no one used it before GvG.

Coghammer is nice, but Truesilver has its value as well. I wouldn't say one is totally better than another, unless you can guarantee the divine shield lands on your Boulderfist Ogre or whatnot.

It's more like a Warrior/Rogue situation now, where Paladin has a good choice of weapons, all of which are useful in different ways.
I have actually found the weapon for muster to be invaluable. Light's justice isn't played because the weapon is absolutely worth a mana but not worth a card.

And coghammer doesn't haven't to hit an ogre at all. Even if it hits a recruit a 1/1 divine shield taunt is super annoying to deal with. But more typically I hit a 4 attack minion with it and create my own sunwalker.

One of my powerhouse openings for my current deck is nerubian egg + blessing of might + cog hammer.

Turn 2 egg
Turn 3 blessing of might on the egg, kill their guy, and coin cog hammer

On turn 3 I lightning bolted their guy, equipped a storm forged axe, and played a sunwalker. No one has been able to come back from that.

jblank83

I have actually found the weapon for muster to be invaluable. Light's justice isn't played because the weapon is absolutely worth a mana but not worth a card.

Yes, that's what I said. Even still, if you're holding a Truesilver and have a board state on which a 4 damage hero attack is valuable, it would be worth completely trashing a full charge Light's Justice.

And coghammer doesn't haven't to hit an ogre at all. Even if it hits a recruit a 1/1 divine shield taunt is super annoying to deal with. But more typically I hit a 4 attack minion with it and create my own sunwalker.

I disagree. Hitting a recruit is a very minor benefit, arguably less valuable than 2 extra attack damage and 2 points of healing. Even so, it's a free effect (two free effects, really) that wouldn't be there otherwise.

I think the Coghammer great. I just don't think it's inherently better than a Truesilver, and completely depends on the board state.

As far as deck building, you would want to carry both, just as Warriors and Rogues carry multiple multiple weapons.

FeD.nL

Why don't EU players get an hourly update. They seem to have removed the announcement in the launcher and no further information beyond the 24 hour status.

borghe

One of my powerhouse openings for my current deck is nerubian egg + blessing of might + cog hammer.

Turn 2 egg
Turn 3 blessing of might on the egg, kill their guy, and coin cog hammer

On turn 3 I lightning bolted their guy, equipped a storm forged axe, and played a sunwalker. No one has been able to come back from that.

huh? are you talking about two different games here?

slayn

huh? are you talking about two different games here?
I was comparing what I ended up with in synergy with paladin cards vs other cards in the game. so like blessing might + egg + coghammer kills their 3 health guy, equips a 2/3 weapon, and puts a 4/4 divine shield taunt into play. Which would be like if you were able to bolt + axe + sunwalker all on turn 3 (which would normally be impossible)

As far as deck building, you would want to carry both, just as Warriors and Rogues carry multiple multiple weapons.
The problem is muster + cog + truesilver is just too many weapons for a class that doesn't have warrior's hero power. I was getting really clunky weapon hands and decided I absolutely had to cut a weapon. I chose to a cut a truesilver and found my deck played much more smoothly afterward. Hence my current opinion that cog hammer > truesilver.

Brakara

Why don't EU players get an hourly update. They seem to have removed the announcement in the launcher and no further information beyond the 24 hour status.

They just tweeted that it will be at least a few more hours until GvG is live in Europe, so hopefully it will be out later today (and not tomorrow as feared).

jblank83

The problem is muster + cog + truesilver is just too many weapons for a class that doesn't have warrior's hero power. I was getting really clunky weapon hands and decided I absolutely had to cut a weapon. I chose to a cut a truesilver and found my deck played much more smoothly afterward. Hence my current opinion that cog hammer > truesilver.

So we're talking about facetanking, if comparing to Warrior with shielding.

And with Coghammer you're talking 3 hits for a total of 6 damage output.
With Truesilver you're talking 2 hits for a total of 8 damage output and 4 healing.

Seems like Truesilver is more efficient and minimizes hero health loss, if you ask me. Or you can run some healing cards, like Healbot, Guardian, and Lay on Hands.

As far as running too many weapons, that happens. It happens to Warriors and they lose games because of it. I'd say that 2-3 weapons in a Paladin deck is not at all risky. The odds of drawing all 3 too early is minimal, as risky as drawing nothing but late game cards in the opening hand and turns 1-2-3. There is minimized risk as well, as both Coghammer and Truesilver are playable early game and effective against early game minions.

With Truesilver you're talking 2 hits for a total of 8 damage output and 4 healing.

Seems like Truesilver is more efficient and minimizes hero health loss, if you ask me. Or you can run some healing cards, like Healbot, Guardian, and Lay on Hands.

As far as running too many weapons, that happens. It happens to Warriors and they lose games because of it. I'd say that 2-3 weapons in a Paladin deck is not at all risky. The odds of drawing all 3 too early is minimal, as risky as drawing nothing but late game cards in the opening hand and turns 1-2-3. There is minimized risk as well, as both Coghammer and Truesilver are playable early game and effective against early game minions.

When you say 2-3 weapons do you mean 2-3 weapon cards or 2-3 weapons at two cards each?

egruntz

shelaughz
Probably best pack I've opened.

Very nice pack. I already got Gahz, so Vol'Jin is really the only other legendary that I MUST have out of the expansion. Malourne would be very nice too.

Control Hunter is legit, fellas. Just so legit. And Steamwheedle Sniper is such a great card for that archetype.

slayn

If you are looking at only the weapon vacuum then sure truesilver is more efficient but cog hammer averages more like 10 damage + 3-4 healing in practice + more tempo + better against aggro. But I understand the doubt because like I said originally when I was only looking at card text I was lukewarm on it. It was 4 hours of playing the thing that created my current opinion.

And 3 weapons is fine. But 6 (2 muster, 2 cog, 2 truesilver) created clunky hands quite often. I wouldn't ever run that many weapons in warrior. I'm running 5 currently (2 muster, 2 cog, 1 truesilver) and things are smoother but I can still get awkward weapon hands that lose games.

edit: But really the best parts of coghammer, and why my love for the card over truesilver is hard to explain, is because of the situations that it continually creates rather than comparing numbers. Like just a random example vs a priest:
you play shield mini-bot on 2. The priest plays dark cultist on 3. You hit the dark cultist with the mini-bot + cog hammer to kill it, get your divine shield back. And now you threaten blessing of kings for a 6/6 divine shield charge.

Now that is a highly specific situation, but situations like that play out constantly. Its like the brutal arena openings where you kill something for free with an argent protector and just win the game on the spot except the argent protector has charge and gets to attack 3 times.

jblank83

And 3 weapons is fine. But 6 (2 muster, 2 cog, 2 truesilver) created clunky hands quite often. I wouldn't ever run that many weapons in warrior. I'm running 5 currently (2 muster, 2 cog, 1 truesilver) and things are smoother but I can still get awkward weapon hands that lose games.

When you say 2-3 weapons do you mean 2-3 weapon cards or 2-3 weapons at two cards each?

2-3 cards, not counting Muster. Meaning 2 Coghammers and a Truesilver, or vice versa. Or 1 each of Coghammer, Sword of Justice, and Truesilver, if you run a slow deck that can accommodate SoJ.

I don't think you count Light's Justice from Muster. It doesn't take up a card slot. The main benefit is the Recruits themselves, to combo with Quartermaster. Otherwise you're just talking about taking ~16+ damage, dealing 4 damage, if you play it mid-game (terrible). Which is why I would happily trash the Light's Justice by playing Coghammer or Truesilver. The only exception is if you're running Spiteful Smith and can get that sweet weapon enrage.

On the subject of the Muster + Quartermaster combo, I'm sure we'll see a shifting in deck construction to counter it. It is vulnerable to a variety of AoE countermeasures, from Priest's Circle of Silence to Mage AoE. You'll likely just see players become more conservative in their use of AoEs against Paladins, more vigilant for this particular combo.

And on the subject of GvG cards, I haven't seen much praise for Dr. Boom yet. I got to draft this in Arena and it was a finisher. It wrecks. The boom bots seem inconsequential, but they are good at clearing boards or putting the finishing damage on a hero. In concert with buffing, for instance Savage Roar, they destroy.

slayn

I don't think you count Light's Justice from Muster. It doesn't take up a card slot. The main benefit is the Recruits themselves, to combo with Quartermaster.
Just one minor point. You seem to not be counting light's justice and pretending like its only 1 way. As if you are happy to overwrite it with whatever. But it works both ways. If you have truesilver already equipped without a good target, and you draw muster, you can't play it without trashing your truesilver. So muster absolutely adds to 'weapon clunkiness' in hand.

jblank83

Just one minor point. You seem to not be counting light's justice and pretending like its only 1 way. As if you are happy to overwrite it with whatever. But it works both ways. If you have truesilver already equipped without a good target, and you draw muster, you can't play it without trashing your truesilver. So muster absolutely adds to 'weapon clunkiness' in hand.

I guess that's a calculation that needs to be made in consideration of turn 8 and onwards, as you have to account for Flamestrike on turn 7.

That is, unless you plan to use Muster early. I don't like to do so, as the 1/1s are very vulnerable to removal of all kinds.

dork

Banned
Anyone have any good decks with new cards in them yet? For any class? Opened about 10 packs last night but not sure how to blend with the older cards

Anyone have any good decks with new cards in them yet? For any class? Opened about 10 packs last night but not sure how to blend with the older cards

Made this deck last night I have a fairly high winrate with it.
vRhHdg7.png

My friend hooked me up with an early xmas gift and paid for 60 packs
first time Ive gotten two legend in a single pack

The Battle.net client lets you choose what servers to log in to, so if i log in to the us servers,can I buy GvG packs for my account?

Each server is technically its own "account" you don't get those packs on another server.

I'm trying to remember, health buffs aren't permanent if they're an aura, right? Just had a situation where a 1/2 Murloc was at one health, they played a Warleader, so it went to x/2. I killed the Warleader, and instead of going back to one health, it went back up to a x/2. I didn't think it was supposed to happen like that, but I could be wrong. Just want to make sure I know for sure in future plays.

For reference, I thought the same thing happened to Blood Imp before it was changed/nerf'd.

zoukka

I'm trying to remember, health buffs aren't permanent if they're an aura, right? Just had a situation where a 1/2 Murloc was at one health, they played a Warleader, so it went to x/2. I killed the Warleader, and instead of going back to one health, it went back up to a x/2. I didn't think it was supposed to happen like that, but I could be wrong. Just want to make sure I know for sure in future plays.

For reference, I thought the same thing happened to Blood Imp before it was changed/nerf'd.

Give and have are different keywords.

slayn

Health buffs are not symmetrical. Health buffs increase max health AND heal while removing health buffs only decreases max health.

Give and have are different keywords.

For sure, I know the difference between the Coldlight Seer and the Warleader. One is a persistent Aura while the minion is alive and unsilenced, the other is a permanent buff that's a Battlecry. I know that much.

I was just under the impression that once minions under auras are removed, other minions are supposed to go back to their states beforehand. Then again, there is some weirdness with damaged minions and when their health gets brought up by auras.

Health buffs are not symmetrical. Health buffs increase max health AND heal while removing health buffs only decreases max health.
Alright, thanks. Not sure why I haven't seen it happen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom