• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
QQ (quick question)
Does a minion with a 50% chance of hitting the wrong target have the potential to hit around a taunt to the "wrong" (unforced) target?

Dreavus

I hesitate to say it, but I think the store being down for several hours yesterday was just long enough that it put me off actually dropping money for packs. I was very close to doing so, but being forced to wait around cooled my jets. We'll see if I warm back up to the idea but it's going to be all about the arena for the next little while.

I hesitate to say it, but I think the store being down for several hours yesterday was just long enough that it put me off actually dropping money for packs. I was very close to doing so, but being forced to wait around cooled my jets. We'll see if I warm back up to the idea but it's going to be all about the arena for the next little while.

Same. I sat around playing vanilla for hours and finally went to bed.

Tonight and the rest of the week I'll be focused on the new Destiny DLC.

ViviOggi

Nope, entire maintenance warning is gone. As someone said it on the liquidhearth forums:

rage.gif
rage.gif
rage.gif
rage.gif
rage.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Twitch watches for clowny ass shenanigans.

Its like reality tv.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
How the fuck does Amaz get 70k viewers with that voice while Sjow is at 1k. Twitch crowds I swear..
Personally I prefer streamers like amaz and kripp that don't play their own music. I typically have MY music playing and so streams that play music aren't that watchable for me.

But mostly I think its just going to be who you've heard of. Popularity breeds more popularity. In that way it is somewhat arbitrary.

caesar

Banned
trump gets a lot too even though he is the most boring man alive.

I'd still put him above Amaz, but yes he is very boring.
Personally I prefer streamers like amaz and kripp that don't play their own music. I typically have MY music playing and so streams that play music aren't that watchable for me.

But mostly I think its just going to be who you've heard of. Popularity breeds more popularity. In that way it is somewhat arbitrary.

I get that, I'm a fan of Kripp too. If you like no music streams you should watch Ropecoach.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

nothing unusual about this TBH. Assuming you were talking about spending $50-70 (or more). I mean that's a full game purchase right there for content you "could" get for free..

Only time will tell and to each their own... but your point definitely stands.. they lost a shit load of impulse revenue yesterday. It's one thing to have failed launches for D3 or WoW expansions.. where your revenue basically can't suffer from it.. but I promise you there will be meetings on this botched launch.. this has to have caused blizz at least 6-7 figures in lost impulse revenue. Granted they are still going to make insane money (as of this morning HS was 5th on highest grossing ipad apps). But still... lose $1-2M (or more) in impulse buys and somebody is going to have to answer for it.

br3wnor

Just played a warrior who dropped Iron Juggerknot 4 times thanks to 'return to minion' creature right after each drop. I actually made it to my last card before finally drawing the last bomb, I had 8HP left (thanks to the 'restore 8hp' mech) He didn't hit me for face damage the entire match outside of the burrowed bombs.

Looks like Blizzard removed any mentions of GvG releasing in Europe on the 9th of December in the launcher.

I doubt we're getting it today, fellow Yuropaians.

borghe

I've decided that I can't wait to live stream my pack openings (going to open them on lunch in a few minutes). But I will screenshot all 204 packs and upload them sequentially to imgur for anyone who is curious as to my results.

is there a quick GvG card list that I can import into numbers and tally what my end results were?

Dreavus

I think you're right on that front. I'm guessing people likely click a game, then go to the stream with the highest view count. "There has to be a reason why so many people are watching this stream, right?"

That's not to say they aren't good/entertaining - it probably also depends on how many followers a given streamer has to jump-start the viewership, and you get that by having a quality stream.

inky

I've always been a bit sad that Guardsman Bob doesn't draw a bigger crowd, he's such an awesome dude.

As a person he is fine, but his stream is basically: OK, what is everyone else in Twitch/HS doing? Let's do that.

He's not a great player, he doesn't have something particular about him that is entertaining, and I can't say you'll learn much watching him other than what top decks are popular. So in a sense, while he is a centered guy who isn't outright annoying or salty or boring, what's the point of watching him climb ladder with the same net-deck everyone else is using.

He has the best music of any streamer by far, so points for that I guess.

ViviOggi

How the fuck does Amaz get 70k viewers with that voice while Sjow is at 1k. Twitch crowds I swear..

Sjow's numbers always sadden me, the other day though he said can make a living from streaming so that's nice. I think with Trump it's mainly that he's been one of the first streamers providing decent, regular arena content. Nowadays he can do whatever and still get crazy numbers from his established viewer base.

Looks like Blizzard removed any mentions of GvG releasing in Europe on the 9th of December in the launcher.

I doubt we're getting it today, fellow Yuropaians.

Fuck's sake

egruntz

shelaughz
Sjow's numbers always sadden me, the other day though he said can make a living from streaming so that's nice. I think with Trump it's mainly that he's been one of the first streamers providing decent, regular arena content. Nowadays he can do whatever and still get crazy numbers from his established viewer base.

How does one get into streaming in that manner? How do you begin to establish a viewer base without spamming/advertising your channel? I'd love to stream but wouldn't want to go through all that crap. =/

FeD.nL

How does one get into streaming in that manner? How do you begin to establish a viewer base without spamming/advertising your channel? I'd love to stream but wouldn't want to go through all that crap. =/

Well Amaz got big because he played priest when it was considered the worst class and he still got to legend. You got to have a schtick basically if you really want to make it or just play intelligently and really explain you decision making like Trump. But mostly it is about getting that snowball and getting the follows early on that´s the important part.

zoukka

Kripp is best. No fancy overlays, no entertainment, no ass kissing to get subs and donations, no moderation in chat, no nothing.

And of course Lifecoach.

Dreavus

Aside from the usual "be entertaining/skilled"... Completely anecdotally, I feel like somehow getting in "on the ground floor" of a new game is one way to do it. I don't watch a ton of streams, but it always seems like there are new regulars that bubble up out of new games as they release.

Also, I think having a defined schedule set up is a big help. When I think about trying my hand at getting a streaming set-up going, that's the thing that I don't think I could properly commit to. People want to be able to tune in at a regular time and see "oh, he's streaming, cool".

Just my thoughts. it's not like I run a wildly successful stream or anything so take with a grain of salt, lol.

Zeroth

Most of today's streamers set themselves when HS was relatively new, so they gained popularity over time. It's pretty hard to get your own userbase nowadays, you either need to get fame by doing great feats (like Firebat) or by having some connections that can advertise you.

FeD.nL

Blizzard should just give us some compensation.

Even just a bit of information, like guys this is whats wrong we are not going to make it today. Instead we just get the BS `a few hours` and `we´ll be sure to keep you posted` then proceed to not say anything but do remove all mentions of a maintenance...

CoolOff

As a person he is fine, but his stream is basically: OK, what is everyone else in Twitch/HS doing? Let's do that.

He's not a great player, he doesn't have something particular about him that is entertaining, and I can't say you'll learn much watching him other than what top decks are popular. So in a sense, while he is a centered guy who isn't outright annoying or salty or boring, what's the point of watching him climb ladder with the same net-deck everyone else is using.

He has the best music of any streamer by far, so points for that I guess.

Yeah, to your first point he really needs to stop doing that.

Not a great player though? He can't be far off Hafus arena-percentages.

inky

Not a great player though? He can't be far off Hafus arena-percentages.

Oh... well, I admit I don't know about that. I've mostly watched him play constructed, and LoL before that.

+1 to the Kripp shoutout tho. Doesn't miss a day, makes long ass streams, is knowledgeable enough and just plays the fucking games. Sometimes people on his mumble become annoying, but I'll take it over people reading passive aggressive donations and a million annoying notifications on screen for every time someone farts some money.

gutshot

I've followed the League (and, less so, Hearthstone) streaming scenes fairly closely over the years, and I think the biggest factor in having streaming success is being there at the start and building your reputation with the game. A very, very large proportion of the popular League streamers have been around since long before the LCS was ever established (and indeed, many good LCS players can barely hold 1k viewers when they do stream). Of the few exceptions, most got there by either getting on very popular teams/being insanely good, or by streaming a lot and working hard to build a viewerbase (like Nightblue, BoxBox, Trick), on a roughly predictable schedule. It helps to make use of Twitter and Youtube to build up as big a "brand" as possible. Good relationships with more popular streamers are useful too.

It helps if you have a "thing" - most commonly being entertaining, or informative, or playing particular weird decks or champions, raging a lot (surprisingly popular - a lot more people like to watch ragers than you'd think). Being female never hurt, nor does having a great voice. If you have music, make sure it isn't too loud and that you can be heard over it. The two big stumbling blocks are building up an initial group of watchers and maintaining a schedule/consistently streaming. There've been some huge streamers who could once command 10k+ viewers with ease (years ago) who've seen their viewerbases dwindle because they didn't maintain consistent shows (or they left Twitch or changed games for whatever reason).

One thing that has put me off several streamers I used to watch often is going in for too much "donation clutter", where half the streaming time is taken up by chat about donators, much of the screen is taken up with donation information, and there are frequent invasive sound effects. Having some acknowledgement is fine, obviously, but make sure it nevers gets out of control.

Hmm, one other thing. I know from several streamers who've discussed revenue (which is of course strictly against the rules, but people used to break them years ago) that the most popular streamers are on far more favourable contracts than the less popular ones, on the whole. Don't expect to get rich unless you end up with a huge fanbase. And don't be too afraid to ask your viewers for donations - I remember one streamer was talking to another (while streaming), much more popular, and, in passing, admitted financial problems. The more popular streamer asked the viewerbase to stump up. At least several hundred dollars, likely a couple of thousand when factoring in future subscription money, were donated that day - largely because people didn't know the streamer was struggling.

Still not out in Europe. Well done Blizzard we are almost approaching the 24 hours. No communication's a forum over run by spam its fucking amateur hour.

Kripp is best. No fancy overlays, no entertainment, no ass kissing to get subs and donations, no moderation in chat, no nothing.

And of course Lifecoach.

Kripp was good before he went casual. Now he fist bumps the camera when he gets a sub plus gives shit away from his sponsors.

He use to not even acknowledge when he got a sub plus looked looked like a hobo. Now he just looks like a hobo with new shirts.

zoukka

Kripp was good before he went casual. Now he fist bumps the camera when he gets a sub plus gives shit away from his sponsors.

He use to not even acknowledge when he got a sub plus looked looked like a hobo. Now he just looks like a hobo with new shirts.

Agreed. But he's still in pretty good shape compared to the rest.

borghe

I'll put up all of the details later.. preliminary data for those interested..

Out of 204 packs

1 Golden Legendary (Thermaplug)
10 Legendaries (Malorne, Bolvar, Vol'jin, Trade Prince, Mal'Ganis, Iron Juggernaut, Gazlowe, Mogor, Dr. Boom, Sneed)
5 missing epics (Dark Wispers, Coghammer, Lightbomb, Cog Wrench, Recombobulator)
0 missing rares or commons
7190 dust (not including golds.. either DE golds or DE regs that you have 1-2 golds of)

I screencapped 202 of the packs.. missed a bunk one (1/4) and the one with Mal'Ganis. I'll put an album up later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom