• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was up against a constructed quality deck in arena. Guy was pulling out Sylvanas sea giants and a bunch of other high value cards always fun when you barely get anything.

Special C

Wow I just had a Warbot MVP. Played him turn 1, Inner raged him to 4/2 Turn 2, Cleric'd him to 5/3 turn 3, Healed him with Earthen to 4/4 on Turn 5, Argus's him to 5/5 on Turn 6.

Still a bad card, but a neat little unlikely hero story in arena.

wow, piloted shredder got me nat pagle two games in a row and he drew both times.

Wow I just had a Warbot MVP. Played him turn 1, Inner raged him to 4/2 Turn 2, Cleric'd him to 5/3 turn 3, Healed him with Earthen to 4/4 on Turn 5, Argus's him to 5/5 on Turn 6.

Still a bad card, but a neat little unlikely hero story in arena.

I would love a 1/3 minion in more classes. Dunno why you think it is a bad card tbh.

NBtoaster

I lost a game because by shredder left Lorewalker Cho when my hand was full of spells against an aggro Rogue. While I got a deadly poison he got a flamestrike.

74 packs and only 2 legendaries. FML!

I'd swear they've decreased the legendary drop rates if everyone else in here wasn't getting them left and right. :(

Well it's much worse than Mana Wyrm and Northshire Cleric

Why is that? Northshire cleric is pretty overrated imo. While it does allow them to get some good combos in, its probably the most situational card in the deck that even when it cycles itself commits 3 mana to doing so and you only get a 1/3 out of it.

When it does the big combos the card is worthwhile but it also makes priest less consistent due to that need imo.

On the other hand, I feel like a 1/3 enrage minion in warrior unlocks an equal amount of potential, but more for a midrange deck. I'm not sure if it is worth being played in a control deck, although it does allow them to get initiative and that is worth something but perhaps not enough to include it over another card.

And mana wyrm... not really seeing much of that lately. I haven't seen that card too much but it used to be played a lot during beta when pyroblast was 10 damage cause those degenerate mana wyrm + mirror entity opening guaranteed so much damage. It is a decent card though. 1/3 for 1cc is pretty good against aggro generally speaking.

Special C

Why is that? Northshire cleric is pretty overrated imo. While it does allow them to get some good combos in, its probably the most situational card in the deck that even when it cycles itself commits 3 mana to doing so and you only get a 1/3 out of it.

When it does the big combos the card is worthwhile but it also makes priest less consistent due to that need imo.

On the other hand, I feel like a 1/3 enrage minion in warrior unlocks an equal amount of potential, but more for a midrange deck. I'm not sure if it is worth being played in a control deck, although it does allow them to get initiative and that is worth something but perhaps not enough to include it over another card.

And mana wyrm... not really seeing much of that lately. I haven't seen that card too much but it used to be played a lot during beta when pyroblast was 10 damage cause those degenerate mana wyrm + mirror entity opening guaranteed so much damage. It is a decent card though. 1/3 for 1cc is pretty good against aggro generally speaking.

Opinions I guess.

Mana Wyrm is easier to buff and Northshire has more utility. I just feel like they are strictly better. You do have a point about 1/3 being good against aggro decks. It counters Loot Hoarder and Leper Gnome. I just don't think it's anything to get exicted about or worth a spot in a 30 card deck. I also think taskmaster is a much better counter to 2/1s

Lumine

33 packs and the one legendary I got was Mekgineer Thermaplugg. :(
I think I'd rather just use Kel'Thuzad? Maybe I'm missing something.

The first 2 decks I face are of course good ole rush hunter and zoolock, both with undertakers and the usual.
However, I was playing my super slow Malygos Mage deck, but I edited it with things like Annoy-o-Tron, Unstable Portal and Explosive Sheep and I can now easily keep up with them! Also put in things like Lil' Exorcist but didn't get to play it.

wow, Kezan Mystic is such an MVP card in Arena. Endless source of salt and value. Ogre Brute is also a ton better than I expected, it's like a more useful ancient watcher.

One thing I noticed about this new set of cards (and Naxx somewhat) is how much more stuff happens on turn 3 now. With the original cards, turns 1 and 3 always felt sort of wack, I guess because of the hero power costing 2 and there generally being a lack of good 1 and 3 drops.

Whoa, if you trigger a damn Noble Sacrifice with one of the clumsy Ogres, and your Ogre triggers the 50% chance to miss, you'll swing at some other unit and leave the Noble Sacrifice alive. I mean, I figured that could happen, but never saw it anywhere until just now in Arena.

Funny stuff.

ffgmXNv.png

My first 12 wins arena deck. Shrinkmeister is just incredible value and so was Lightbomb.

FeD.nL

Hmm, I have a golden Rag and the regular one, really tempting to DE the golden one and get another legendary. I only have Gazlowe, Dr Boom, Sneed and Gallywix atm.. decisions decisions

Just started playing and damn this game is super addictive, I have a long way to go still but really feel like I'm learning with every match.

I'm on a macbook air most of the time and on low settings I can get by without the fan sounding like a hairdryer.

ViviOggi

wow, Kezan Mystic is such an MVP card in Arena. Endless source of salt and value. Ogre Brute is also a ton better than I expected, it's like a more useful ancient watcher.

One thing I noticed about this new set of cards (and Naxx somewhat) is how much more stuff happens on turn 3 now. With the original cards, turns 1 and 3 always felt sort of wack, I guess because of the hero power costing 2 and there generally being a lack of good 1 and 3 drops.
Not so keen on the Ogres because mine always screw up but I always try to grab a Kezan.

And yeah, the influx of strong 1-3 drops makes a good curve crucial in arena. I've had more success with stupid, low-value zerg decks than more expensive Mage drafts that would have been very solid pre-GvG.

Magnus

Just tried two Ranked Play matches; they both seemed to time out, but with a double loss right off the bat for both players. wtf

Haunted

I've got 800 dust - which GvG epics are people crafting first?

Got my eye on Recombobulator and Piloted Sky Golem.

edit: also, I may have been too harsh on people buying the wrong packs, it almost happened to me just now. :D

zoukka

Dude, warbot is terribad. In mech decks you have 2 better one drops and in enrage decks you need much more from your minions. I mean what are you even doing with a fragile onedrop in an enrage deck?

Haunted

It can be, but I've also seen it return Goldshire Footman and Flame Imp
Getting a 1-drop is most likely bad. Getting a 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 drop is most likely good. You calculate the odds. :D

Unstable Portal is really good.

Dude, warbot is terribad. In mech decks you have 2 better one drops and in enrage decks you need much more from your minions. I mean what are you even doing with a fragile onedrop in an enrage deck?
Yeah, warbot doesn't seem worth it. Needs very specific circumstances for him to trade 2 for 1. You generally get better value out of classic cards like Acolyte, Armorsmith or Frothing in Enrage Decks.

FeD.nL

We were discussing how to get in to streaming the other day. One thing that always gets viewers are tournaments. So why don't we organize another GAF invitational and stream it on Twitch with members duo casting via Skype, rotate the caster when a previous caster has to play a game.

I'm willing to make my account available for American and Asian players should they get matched with a European player, have nearly all the regular cards and working on the GvG cards. Also for the format, depending how many players are interested, I thought it would be fun to first have some group stages where people take 3 decks with them and you have to play all three decks but instead of a BO3 you get a point for every win, 2 members with the most points go though to the finals. And with the spectator mode the organization of a Twitch stream should be a lot easier. Perhaps we could even get a company to provide some small prizes and sponsership, I mean GAF is one of the biggest gaming forums.

But anyway perhaps i'm a bit to enthusiastic, I would really enjoy trying to organize it if people are interested and just have fun along the way with you all. So let me know if you are interested and if so if you are willing to stream/cast or just want to participate. And for a start date let's keep it on 19th of January for now.

gutshot

Been playing HS on and off for a while now. Might as well join all the cool kids in here. I mostly just did was arena, slowly building my collection up. But since arena now only rewards GvG packs, I wonder what to do. I could blow my 2k gold on classic packs (I've only got one legendary out of 40 packs or so that I've openes so far) or just keep playing arena? I really would like a decent legendary or two to play my warrior in constructed...

I'm kind of in the same boat where I still am missing most of the classic legendaries and even a bunch of epics and rares. My plan is to alternate between buying classic packs and doing arena runs for the GvG cards.

ViviOggi

We were discussing how to get in to streaming the other day. One thing that always gets viewers are tournaments. So why don't we organize another GAF invitational and stream it on Twitch with members duo casting via Skype, rotate the caster when a previous caster has to play a game.

I'm willing to make my account available for American and Asian players should they get matched with a European player, have nearly all the regular cards and working on the GvG cards. Also for the format, depending how many players are interested, I thought it would be fun to first have some group stages where people take 3 decks with them and you have to play all three decks but instead of a BO3 you get a point for every win, 2 members with the most points go though to the finals. And with the spectator mode the organization of a Twitch stream should be a lot easier. Perhaps we could even get a company to provide some small prizes and sponsership, I mean GAF is one of the biggest gaming forums.

But anyway perhaps i'm a bit to enthusiastic, I would really enjoy trying to organize it if people are interested and just have fun along the way with you all. So let me know if you are interested and if so if you are willing to stream/cast or just want to participate. And for a start date let's keep it on 19th of January for now.
Sounds cool, I'd definitely play and maybe cast although I've never done that before. I fear for your account though :V If everything else works out we could try asking Blizz for a few tournament accounts that have everything unlocked, I'm sure tournaments have used them before.

Minsc

Gold Member
:lol

Maybe it'll be changed when it happens to Ben Brode.

If they change it, we'll probably see 5x as many complaints from people who wanted to buy the expert set cards and they got GvG instead.

They should just have all orders of 10+ packs bring up a gigantic over-sized deck of those cards with a 2nd message to confirm the purchase, and maybe on orders of 50+ packs, do it again, confirming a 3rd time. Then again, when you go to buy your cards, the UI drops a few dozen packs of said card backs on the screen prior to purchase, so you'd be seeing dozens of expert pack decks fall from the sky on to the screen when you make your purchase for classic packs, and GvG packs falling down for GvG packs.

I guess all this proves is that Hearthstone players really would be lost with more than 9 deck slots, lol.

I'm kind of in the same boat where I still am missing most of the classic legendaries and even a bunch of epics and rares. My plan is to alternate between buying classic packs and doing arena runs for the GvG cards.

Ditto. And whenever I buy packs I try to do it like 2:1 GvG:Classic

Once I start filling out GvG proper, I'll bring that back to 1:1

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mind Control Tech is still bullshit.

The odds that it'll show up are miniscule now that there's so many cards, and of course it grabs my big taunt when it does.

I had two of those in my last arena.

One match, after using the second one, my opponent just auto quit.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
74 packs and only 2 legendaries. FML!

I'd swear they've decreased the legendary drop rates if everyone else in here wasn't getting them left and right. :(

that sucks.. almost 210 packs opened and I can say that definitely didn't decrease the rates on anything.

but man... that sucks.good news is over the next 6(?) you're due for two more? /hope

If i don't have old-murk eye, do i need to get the new murlock card as well now?

no. only classics are needed for the murloc and pirate.

I really wish Pirate decks were more viable. They have some cool synergy but just can't pull through enough to be good. Wonder why they added Salty Dog, a Pirate that does nothing, when most others have something with weapons. Guess will have to wait till next expansion before they're good enough.

borghe

I really wish Pirate decks were more viable. They have some cool synergy but just can't pull through enough to be good. Wonder why they added Salty Dog, a Pirate that does nothing, when most others have something with weapons. Guess will have to wait till next expansion before they're good enough.

pirates are ok with warrior and rogue. only ok though. problem is they are mostly aggro decks.. where warrior isn't a particularly strong aggro class and rogue neither. pirate with anyone else and there isn't enough synergy.

br3wnor

Hmm, I have a golden Rag and the regular one, really tempting to DE the golden one and get another legendary. I only have Gazlowe, Dr Boom, Sneed and Gallywix atm.. decisions decisions

I go through the same thing sometimes with a few of my gold leg's, but I figure I'll be playing this game for years and it'll be cool to have as many foils as possible as opposed to the month of grinding I save now by d/eing them

What list at what rank? Priest is definitely top 3 in terms of new class card quality and they've been doing quite well on the ladder before already, be it Deathrattle Midrange or Control. Having a bad run once in a while is to be expected when decks are all over the place.

I was running a deathrattle midrange with control, pre gvg I could get around to rank 5 easily. I switched out undertaker and some deathrattle, zombie chow, etc for shrinkmeister and shadow puncher. I also put in one Velen's choice as well and two acidic oozes. I've been getting murdered way too much by weapons lately not to have them, especially against rogues with sharpsword oil.

Shrinkmeister is great but I notice most of the time that I just hold him in my hand waiting for a chance to use him.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Bought another 7 card packs and i got the warlock legendary Mal'Ganis, not bad but i need more cards to make use of it, rarely play warlock.

Haunted

I could craft 8 rares. Or 2 epics. Or save 2 years for a single legendary. Even if they're the strongest cards, rounding out the collection is more important, I think.

I guess all this proves is that Hearthstone players really would be lost with more than 9 deck slots, lol.
noooo

I'm happy to help in any way possible. Streaming, casting, playing, organizing whatever. Count me in.

johnsmith

remember me

Have you played a lot of priest? I've gotten to legend twice playing only priest and have 500 wins. Northshire cleric is not overrated. It's probably the 2nd best draw engine in the game after warlock hero power. It was not hard at all to do consistent big circle or holy nova draw combos. Especially since I mostly played Deathrattle and always had a board. But even wth control it was easy thanks to wild pyro. I probably had to worry about drawing too many cards more often than running out of them.

Of course it wasn't a good minion to just drop turn 1 except vs hunter and paladin. But just being good vs hunter was good enough.

It's also a removal magnet. I've seen it executed and hunters marked tons of times. No other 1 drop does that besides undertaker.

egruntz

shelaughz
I haven't even seen feign death used a single time, and not for lack of playing hunters...

I've already been using it to great effect in constructed. Only played around 3 hours total but I'm at rank 10 already. Hoping to make legend this month...We'll see how much time I can put into Hearth.

Some better uses that I've come across already:

1) Feigned Slyvannas to steal a Sludge Belcher in one occasion, stole an enemy Highmane in another.

2) Feigned Webspinner, Loot Hoarder, and Haunted Creeper all at once for (excellent) card draw and solid early board control (Hunter's Mark x2 helps)

3) Feigned Explosive Sheep on multiple occasions for board wipe. This has been one of the best additions to my control deck so far. Zoo was stomping me early on, but this definitely helps. A lot. Much more effective than Explosive Trap, albeit two more mana and one more card. Still, you get to control exactly when it happens, which is a plus.

4) Feigned single Highmane for two 2/2s that were used to hit face while the opponent dealt with the Highmane itself. Brought down their HP to 15 before they were removed, after which point I was able to Kill Command face and win with hero power a couple turns later.

5) Feigned Malorne! LOL! Never drew him again that game but I thought that was interesting to say the least.

TheChaos0

I'm gravitating towards the same thing, not sure what to spend my gold on... if anything. Classic makes sense, since I'll be getting GvG packs anyways from arena.

borghe

I go through the same thing sometimes with a few of my gold leg's, but I figure I'll be playing this game for years and it'll be cool to have as many foils as possible as opposed to the month of grinding I save now by d/eing them

NEVER DE GOLDSSSSSSS

:p That's my motto. Like you said, you'll be playing the game for years and opening hundreds of packs. And out of all of those packs MAYBE the only golds you will ever craft are naxx, and even then doubtful.

I never have and never will blow up a golden. And my legs are Baron Geddon and Thermaplug.. uggh.. although a thermaplug from a sneed did cement the game for me last night.

and on that note.. sneed is definitely the new ragnaros.. sadly I see him getting nerfed to either 9 cost, or more likely putting the leg in your hand. there is almost no reason NOT to run him in your deck if you have him. at 5/7 it gives him serious staying power, and the only effective removal for him is silence/toad/sheep (or sort of bounce I guess). still, even with a silence he has enough health to be annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom