• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

Kolento used it yesterday and got a 0 mana Flame Imp, so although you can get some good cards, there are also shitty ones.

Yeah, 1-drops. :p The chances to get something not worth it are so slim they're not even worth thinking about since you only use Unstable Portal when you have 2 mana to spare anyway. Even a Flame Imp is usually better than a ping to the face.

egruntz

shelaughz
I see where you're coming from but when you have to answer a Knife Juggler with 4 mana you're usually in trouble.

This is looking at it the wrong way. I would be answering Knife Juggler with 2 mana. The other 2 mana was used on a 2/3 permanent, which is pretty solid stat distribution.

Literally just played this game:

Turn 3 comes and the board is completely empty after we traded.
The Shaman played that stupid 3/2 windfury mech (WHERE IS THE OVERLOAD?!?) for 2 mana and passed.
My turn 3: coin, Steamwheedle, hero power snipe.

Value.

zoukka

Man I love playing Warlock Mech. So much madness on so many levels. Insane tempo and great value in the late game with Gazlow and Toshley, Old Shredder etc...

kYBRYth.jpg

Hahahahah in my first match with this deck :DDDDD

ViviOggi

This is looking at it the wrong way. I would be answering Knife Juggler with 2 mana. The other 2 mana was used on a 2/3 permanent, which is pretty solid stat distribution.

Literally just played this game:

Turn 3 comes and the board is completely empty.
The Shaman played that stupid 3/2 windfury mech (WHERE IS THE OVERLOAD?!?) for 2 mana and passed.
My turn 3: coin, Steamwheedle, hero power snipe.

Value.

What I meant is that the aggressive decks running Knife Juggler won't have it on the board as their only minion most of the time and until you can answer it on turn 4 (3 with the coin) it will have done its job. 2 health minions aren't played on turn 3 with an average starting hand precisely because the later you play them the more efficiently they will be answered - which is why you won't see Knife Juggler or other 3/2s for that matter in a deck that doesn't also run a bunch of 1-drops.

I mean if you find that Steamwheedle works outside of fringe scenarios that's totally cool, I'm just theorizing here. Means we might see less Facetard Hunters and I'm all for that.

Minsc

Gold Member
The main problem with Unstable Portal is there's no reason not to run it when the breakdown is something like:
-10% of the time: get a horrible 0-2 drop or obscure card you absolutely can't use or trade with
-20-30% of the time: get a great 5+ drop that will swing the game heavily if not outright win it
-50% of the time: be as good or better than a normal 2-drop.

So it's just a no-brainer. If you get bad RNG, so what. It's taking the place of a 2-drop most of the time, and chances are you'll get the bad RNG way less than getting value from it.

Besides if a 2-mana card said:
20% of the time win the game (or close to it), otherwise play a 2/1

Most people would run it, and Unstable Portal is better than the above text.

Even more so in Arena, where Mages were already far too common, Unstable Portal will just propel that up another few notches higher.

The main problem with Unstable Portal is there's no reason not to run it when the breakdown is something like:
-10% of the time: get a horrible 0-2 drop or obscure card you absolutely can't use or trade with
-20-30% of the time: get a great 5+ drop that will swing the game heavily if not outright win it

So it's just a no-brainer. If you get bad RNG, so what. It's taking the place of a 2-drop most of the time, and chances are you'll get the bad RNG way less than getting value from it.

And here's the clincher:
Unstable Portal is hella fun to use!

Permanently A

this guy gets it. If you lose on the portal RNG, its whatever. you got a 1 drop boo hoo. If you win, you basically just won the game from your tempo advantage.

Its extremely high chance of reward with little risk. Who wouldn't play this card?

Minsc

Gold Member
Problem is, this seldom plays to your decks idea unless the idea is to just slam random fatties on the table. And even the small chance of failing is a big downside.

True, I admit I had more of an Arena frame of mind, where getting almost anything that trades 1:1 is fine, and getting anything better is a win for a mage that has 20+ damage in spells and a few water elementals and AoE in their hand.

Though I believe all the notable pro players / streamers seem to think it's very OP, but perhaps that will change in time.

Got my Yeti wrecked by Flamecannon plus hero power two games in a row. Mage really needed that 2-mana 4-damage spell, was lacking removal options.

embalm

6Bi1Q8I.png

playing this deck, its fun to steal stuff.

the shrinkmeister cabal combo is strong, dont get me wrong, but its a 8mana combo which does not happen often.
This is really close to what I want to run with later tonight. I'm going to focus a bit more on healing with Valen's Choosen and Light of Naaru though.

Even more so in Arena, where Mages were already far too common, Unstable Portal will just propel that up another few notches higher.

I agree with you. How would you recommend changing it? I think the cost needs to increase to 3 or the reduction in cost of the generated cards needs to only be 2 instead of 3. I'm sure there are more creative ways to adjust it, but as-is, it would probably still be playable even with a 1-mana adjustment either in the card's cost or the text's mana cost reduction.

I think it should cost 3 but only reduce mana cost by 2. or they should just delete it from the game. along with crackle.

or they could make it just copy a random minion from either of the decks in play.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

sorry.. that's what I meant by broken. not that it's auto-win. a "broken" card to me is a card that you would have to be an idiot not to include in your deck. Unstable Portal right now is that mage card. You broke it down right there. The odds of getting an auto-win card are double the odds of getting an unusable card... with about 50% of the time being at least an equally usable card. So basically 70-80% of the time you either come out even or auto-win.

The fix as I see it is to trade even. 3 cost or make the reduction 2 cost. So if you play it on turn 2, the best you can come ahead on turn 3 is a 6-cost with coin, as opposed to laying out (now) a 7 drop on turn 3 with coin.

inky

It's funny that Kripp hates Unstable Portal. I think he got 9-10 useless minions in a row or something like that so he doesn't trust it.

He also crafted a Leviathan and put it in a deck, then he got it in his starting hand 3 times in a row (from mulligan) LOL. Nice 3200 dust golem bro.

Jrmint

It's funny that Kripp hates Unstable Portal. I think he got 9-10 useless minions in a row or something like that so he doesn't trust it.

He also crafted a Leviathan and put it in a deck, then he got it in his starting hand 3 times in a row (from mulligan) LOL. Nice 3200 dust golem bro.
Have you seen how much dust he has? Really don't think he gives a fuck. He crafted a golden version of that new warrior legendary this morning even though he said he didn't think it was very good.

inky

Have you seen how much dust he has? Really don't think he gives a fuck. He crafted a golden version of that new warrior legendary this morning even though he said he didn't think it was very good.

Yeah, I know, like 150k dust or something, I just found it hilarious.

He also crafted a bunch of golden legendaries, epics and rares he didn't get from the 250 packs he bought.

I have a deck with all the minion stealing for Priest. Shadow Madness, Mind Control, Mind Control Tech, Sylvanas + SW: Death, Cabal, Shrinkmeisters, Brewmasters to steal the Shadow Madness cards. It's not as strong as you'd think, but it's fun when it works out.

Brilliant new priest card I put in every deck: Lightbomb. Inner Fire or Abusive Sergeant for anyone it wouldn't work on.

ViviOggi

There's nothing better than a good rage pass. I myself am I practitioner of the 360 noscope concede technique, rage afks are common and you even see the good old Alt+F4 from time to time. But someone being so furious that they do nothing but hammer the end turn button while watching their demise unfold, that's something special.

that sucks.. almost 210 packs opened and I can say that definitely didn't decrease the rates on anything.

but man... that sucks.good news is over the next 6(?) you're due for two more? /hope

I wish! If only I hadn't taken statistics.
Gambler's Fallacy

The insult to the injury was they were Flame Leviathon and Mimiron's Head... ugh...

Trying to see the bright side, I at least have all the cards for my theorycrafted Rogue deck now. 7-0 so far. Maybe I'll make a push for legend again and give up on arena and getting cards for a while. I'm feeling pretty burned out from post-pack opening depression.

What happens if you silence Troggzor with Priest's silencing spell? Does the minion get summoned or not?

I think he does. I think his effect resolves before the silence resolves. Their order of operations are weird. I mentioned before that according to Zeriyah Poison Seeds + Explosive Sheep should wipe the board ala Pyromancer + Equality. It doesn't though. Seems new cards work like this: Spell affecting minion occurs > minion effect occurs and resolves > spell effect resolves.

/shrug

Really inconsistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom