• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

Squelching should also mute all VA. I don't want to constantly hear Gul'Dan's HHHRRRRMMMMMM or Rexxar's frustrated grumbling when he's taking a minute to decide whether or not he should coin out a deathrattle with his Undertaker.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What to do, what to do...

So many possibilities.

I wonder...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I don't own him, but why do so few people run Mukla? He's ridiculous on curve and against an empty board he's not even that bad in the late game. Is the banana utility just too strong?

Miracle is out of favor and priests are cutting pyro, so the cheap spell factor doesn't seem that bad.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
So I don't own him, but why do so few people run Mukla? He's ridiculous on curve and against an empty board he's not even that bad in the late game. Is the banana utility just too strong?

Miracle is out of favor and priests are cutting pyro, so the cheap spell factor doesn't seem that bad.
Mukla is good in aggro decks. But a lot of people run aggro decks because they can't afford control decks and so probably don't own Mukla. He's not a good value card, because he's 'kind of' 3/3 for 3.

In the rare instance where I'm in the mood to play Zoo, I run Mukla. And I don't play divine favor paladin but he's amazing there.

Special C

The notion that Arena is all about fast starts and 2 or 3 drops now may be true. But I'm rolling through right now with 3 DotC, 3 IronBarks, and an Ancient of War. Got just enough early game to squeak by.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you're new, and thus nigh-assuredly not reading this AMA, Blizzard really wants you to know that they are concerned about ensuring you can have good match-ups.

ViviOggi

The notion that Arena is all about fast starts and 2 or 3 drops now may be true. But I'm rolling through right now with 3 DotC, 3 IronBarks, and an Ancient of War. Got just enough early game to squeak by.

Yeah, Druid can probably get away with a greedy draft the easiest due to the utterly retarded value their big class drops provide in arena and the ability to break the most fundamental rule of Hearthstone.

ZealousD

because he's 'kind of' 3/3 for 3

I don't necessarily agree with this because your opponent still has to pay 2 mana to use the bananas. If you play him on curve against a 3/2 youve wrecked your opponents next turn, they cant put down a 3 or 4 mana card unless they want to contribute to a 2 for 1. I see it more like a 5/5 that gives your opponent a card, and the card is like a better demonheart?

Admittedly i see him more as a tempo card than a control card.

johnsmith

remember me
If you're new, and thus nigh-assuredly not reading this AMA, Blizzard really wants you to know that they are concerned about ensuring you can have good match-ups.

If they don't do something about this a lot of people will quit really fast before they get hooked. I was spectating my friend who got matched up vs a full on control paladin at rank 23. The guy was dropping ragnaros and tirion and it was pretty disgusting when she was using mostly basic cards.

ViviOggi

"This item cannot be installed in your device's country"
sleeping.gif

Whatever it's bed time anyway
sleeping.gif

JesseZao

Ahhhhh. Want now!

Guess next week will have to do. I remember there being problems with your account/device if you changed region to install it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If they don't do something about this a lot of people will quit really fast before they get hooked. I was spectating my friend who got matched up vs a full on control paladin at rank 23. The guy was dropping ragnaros and tirion and it was pretty disgusting when she was using mostly basic cards.
It's also an issue for people who don't play a lot as well.

I was just making fun of them answering that question about seven separate times while saying almost nothing else.

Haly

They need to start phasing expert cards into the basic pool. Every new expac should see a little more of the old cards punted into basic or else this is going to be a really difficult game to get into 2 years down the road.

squidyj

but I don't want them to have good matchups ;_; that means i have to face off agaisnt experienced people.

They need to start phasing expert cards into the basic pool. Every new expac should see a little more of the old cards punted into basic or else this is going to be a really difficult game to get into 2 years down the road.

I was thinking the same thing and mentioned it a few pages back. I think that would also make the classes more balanced for arena. The classes that seem to shine the most in arena are the ones that seem to have a lot of good cards in their basic set.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
It's the main reason why Blizzard (or you guys, technically?) introduced the emoting system in the first place.

The vitriol would be far worse with a real chat. For all their questionable decisions when it comes to Hearthstone, this is one thing they really nailed.

I agree, guess I'm just saying people suck : (

ZealousD

Is it just me or is Rogue a lot worse in Arena post GvG? Seems like clearing with weapons is more dangerous now, can't keep up with the incoming damage if you don't curve well with your minions. Extremely hard to catch up.

Blank!

I swear arena is 10x more bullshit since goblin and gnomes. I get offered ONE 6-drop as a shaman and my first match? dude has 2 legendaries (the battlecry/deathrattle gnome and the legendary that summons ANOTHER legendary), 2 swipes, starfall, and ironbark. His 2-3 drops weren't no joke either.

My opponent before this one (last arena run) had Dr Boom. My one AFTER the one above had a ragnaros... seriously wtf.

Special C

Seems like I'm getting those 6-0 then 0-3 arena letdowns a lot lately. It's probably more time of day than anything. I usually start an Arena run during the last slow hours at work then finish it later in the evening at home.

johnsmith

remember me
Is it just me or is Rogue a lot worse in Arena post GvG? Seems like clearing with weapons is more dangerous now, can't keep up with the incoming damage if you don't curve well with your minions. Extremely hard to catch up.

I was going to post this earlier. I completely agree. Before naxx they were probably my best class, almost always went 7 wins even with mediocre decks. Now they're just bad. I stopped picking it and always win against it. They face tank so much they end up killing themselves, and that's just to stay even on board. Eviscerates and backstabs are a lot rarer to draft, and almost all their new class cards are garbage.

Miletius

Opened up my first GvG legendary -- it's Blingtron 3K. Not sure what to use this guy with, if anything. Seems pretty situational, not for regular play type card.

On the plus side my latest priest deck went 11-3 in Arena. The games I lost were basically games where I got swarmed early and couldn't keep up.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Opened up my first GvG legendary -- it's Blingtron 3K. Not sure what to use this guy with, if anything. Seems pretty situational, not for regular play type card.

On the plus side my latest priest deck went 11-3 in Arena. The games I lost were basically games where I got swarmed early and couldn't keep up.
Amaz gets pretty good mileage out of Blingtron in Priest by also playing Harrison.

So I had a Mage quest so I figured I should actually try Flame Leviathan rather than just bitching about him all the time. I don't quite know what to think. I built a deck with him in mind. Made a mech deck and focused mainly on minions that wouldn't be too adversely affected if he did appear suddenly.

It went better than I expected. I just played 5 games in casual and handily won all of them. Only one time did the Leviathan turn out negatively solely for me. I had mech yeti on board and my opponent had nothing. So I took two damage. Not too horrible. One time he came out it was kind of a wash. The other three times wiped out their board and I either wasn't on the board or had things left standing.

So he seems not completely horrible, but I'm still not sure if he's worth a slot. Anyone else played with him and have any thoughts? Knowing he's in your deck, you know to play around him (affecting how you trade) so it seems like you can do a lot to minimize the repercussions of him. I don't know though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Full AMA info: http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/730-hearthstone-on-android-rolls-out-hearthstone

Cards & Balance
It's too early on in GvG to make any changes to cards right now. They're always watching though. (Zeriyah)
Flame Leviathan was born when the team wanted to try out an on draw effect. (Yong Woo)
Sabotage - Used to be 6 mana, Destroy an enemy minion and all copies of it in your opponent's hand and deck. (Ben Brode)
They're considering changing Bane of Doom to include GvG demons, but it's something that they have to be careful with because it puts the demon directly into play instead of your hand. (Zeriyah)

Game Design
Each class should feel distinct and full of flavor. Tribal themes (Shaman getting some Murlocs, Rogue getting Pirates) is a great way of doing this. (Yong Woo)
Different teams are working on different stages of an expansion. When effects and engineering wraps up, the design team is already concepting out the next set of content. (Yong Woo)
Rotating card sets as more content is released is something that can be addressed at a later date. The team feels they're still far away from doing it though. (Yong Woo)
They're still discussing the frequency of content releases. (Ben Brode)
When choosing art for a new card, first they look through all the WoW art they have access to, and if they don't find something perfect, then the art team will make something brand new based on specs from the designers. (Yong Woo)
They are aware of the feedback surrounding the second player's hand in spectator mode being upside down. No changes cited. (Zeriyah)
They would like to improve the Casual Mode experience. The new player experience is very important to them. (Zeriyah)
Can't be targeted by Spells or Hero Powers may receive a keyword one day, but not yet. "Untargetable" and "Ethereal" have been discussed as possible replacements. (Ben Brode)
Hearthstone will be compatible with all payment methods supported by Google Play. (Yong Woo)

Bugs
Brand new players shouldn't be matched up against players with massive collections, but some issues have been found and are being worked on. (Ben Brode)
The delay on secret activation is a bug and will be fixed in an upcoming patch. (Ben Brode)

Community Requests
Nothing below has been officially confirmed for release.

More Deck Slots: They have "cool ideas" on how they can give power-users more deck slots. "I think we can make magic happen somehow". (Ben Brode)
Tournament Mode: They're looking into new ways that players could get together and compete with each other, but ideas are still in the early stage. (Yong Woo)
Quests: They would like to add more daily quests to the game. (Yong Woo)
Replays: They are not currently working on a replay feature. (Yong Woo)
More Gold: o plans to add more ways to obtain gold at this time. (Ben Brode)
Ben agrees that something that merged your golden and normal cards into the same card stack would be cool. (Ben Brode) [Example]
Displaying a total of how complete your collection is has been something they've wanted to add for a while. (Ben Brode)
If cosmetic unlockables are something that the Hearthstone community would be really excited about, it's something we can look into! (Yong Woo)
"Seems like a cool idea" - Ben Brode on new fun game modes. (Ben Brode)
New classes are hard to figure out. It would be "friggin' rad", but you'd be less likely to get class specific cards you want, and balance gets trickier. (Ben Brode)
No immediate plans for 2v2 mode. It is discussed over lunch at times though. (Yong Woo)
They'll discuss doing a sound panel during BlizzCon. The sound team would love it. (Yong Woo)
Being able to use your golden cards and portraits in the arena is something the team is excited to do when they find the time. (Yong Woo)

More Deck Slots: They have "cool ideas" on how they can give power-users more deck slots. "I think we can make magic happen somehow". (Ben Brode)
Quests: They would like to add more daily quests to the game. (Yong Woo)
Replays: They are not currently working on a replay feature. (Yong Woo)
More Gold: o plans to add more ways to obtain gold at this time. (Ben Brode)
Displaying a total of how complete your collection is has been something they've wanted to add for a while. (Ben Brode)
"Seems like a cool idea" - Ben Brode on new fun game modes. (Ben Brode)
New classes are hard to figure out. It would be "friggin' rad", but you'd be less likely to get class specific cards you want, and balance gets trickier. (Ben Brode)
Being able to use your golden cards and portraits in the arena is something the team is excited to do when they find the time. (Yong Woo)

All these are good, I hope they get implemented soon.
"cool ideas" for deck slots better not be code for "you have to use gold/$$$"
I think they will add DK/Monk sometime down the road, but I don't think it's really necessary right now.

I think they will add DK/Monk sometime down the road, but I don't think it's really necessary right now.

Seems like something that could be worked into an Adventure mode, but maybe locking a class behind a paywall isn't a good idea.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just to temper expectations, the actual quotes for all of those made them sound like all of them are a looooooooong ways off, which was part of my disappointment.

Basically the message was "we are really busy adding all of these things we are not mentioning here, so these things we are addressing won't be soon, and we are currently deciding what and when to do things."

I'm hoping by PAX East they will have a better sense of what's next since they are usually a lot more forthcoming, so I'm willing to take them at the face value of "we haven't decided yet."

Seems like something that could be worked into an Adventure mode, but maybe locking a class behind a paywall isn't a good idea.

I don't think I'd like that too much. If they were to put in a new class, it should just be there. Maybe do a tutorial where you have to fight it once to unlock it so you know hero power and stuff like that.

Just to temper expectations, the actual quotes for all of those made them sound like all of them are a looooooooong ways off, which was part of my disappointment.

Basically the message was "we are really busy adding all of these things we are not mentioning here, so these things we are addressing won't be soon, and we are currently deciding what and when to do things."

I'm hoping by PAX East they will have a better sense of what's next since they are usually a lot more forthcoming, so I'm willing to take them at the face value of "we haven't decided yet."

Yeah, it does seem that way. A lot of the answers are "That would be cool" or "We don't know." At least they are putting them into consideration.
I still hope more deck slots comes pretty fast, or the easier things like more dailies.

JesseZao

Just had the most amazing comeback in my HS history.

I decided to login to my second account to open up the free gvg packs and do an arena.

Apparently I didn't finish my last arena on that account, so I started the next game on that run, currently 4-0 from before gvg.

I'm a mage and get matched vs. a priest.

Early game was pretty even, but then on turn 4? he coined out a hobgoblin and an unstable ooze. His board was scary 5/6 minions. I ran my frost ele into the hobgoblin and dropped a 2-drop and used arcane int.

I now had Frostbolt, Blizzard, Flamestrike, Flamestrike in hand as well as as a minion or two, so I knew there was an outside chance I could pull back.

He dropped a Harvest Golem and Sea Giant.

I Blizzard turn 6.

He novas to heal his oozes,harvest golem and giant.

I flamestrike turn 7 to kill the oozes.

He attacks face, drops a 5/4 taunt and heals the giant. Now I'm at 10hp. Giant is at 6hp.

I frostbolt the Giant and kill the damaged golem and drop a Kirin Tor.

Here's the ticket to his demise:

He shrinks my 4/3 and Cabals it. He attacks face. I'm at 5hp

I flamestrike and ping the Cabal to completely clear his board of 5/6 minions.

I have 3 or 4 cards in hand. He had 2/3. He plays harvest golem and kodo.

A turn or two trading board control and then I draw Vaporize which kills his last minion on board while I'm at 1hp.

I start playing 2 minions a turn and kill anything he drops including using a silence to kill a lightspawn.

He's in top-deck mode and doesn't draw direct damage. I even held off on playing <4 drops for two turns for fear of Shadow Madness.

He dies in 3 more turns.

From 1hp against 30hp. To thrilling victory with old cards. Felt great.

Really wish I had a replay or spectators :p.

Sorry, that got a bit long.

TL;DR: I clawed my way to victory using a non-gvg mage deck vs. a gvg priest deck after 3 out of 4 turns of AoE. reaching 1hp shortly after, and then clearing his top decks for the last few turns with my card advantage/utility cards.

Haly

Bring on a Dual Spec idea. I want to be able to see my opponent's class and decide between two sets. No one deck fits all.

Would be really hard to manage because many classes are designed around their hero powers, like Rogue, Warrior, Paladin and Warlock. You would need an almost identical hero power for a different spec, which kind of defeats the point of "dual specs", from a WoW point of view.

Like, why would Fury or Arms generate Armor?

CoolOff

Rank 10 EU. everythingwashuntard.jpg

I think it's 7 in a row now. Nothing else.

Edit: What is this retarded Baron Rivendare-Hunter?

johnsmith

remember me
My GvG arena stats. Not infinite, but not bad. Started off with like 4,600 gold, and I'm still over 4,000. It's gonna take a good long while to burn through this all.
PWLAJ5X.png

J0RZYwl.png

Bomb Lobber is my new favorite arena card. Should be played in constructed too. It's so damn good.

Even though it's not my highest win rate, I really like priest. As long as you draft a low curve, and get some good card draw you can do very well. It helps that the play style is so similar to undertaker priest, which is my favorite deck. Trade for board control, snowball a huge lead, and get ready to recover from board wipes. Mage is still strong, less flamestrikes, but lots of new good class cards. And of course paladin is still really good. Need to try hunter again, did really well in two times I picked it, but could have easily been a fluke.

The Adder

Banned
Got my first ragequit :D. Was playing my Handlock against a Druid. Dropped Mountain Giant turn 4 on a board with Sludge Belcher and 4/6 Taunt Druid of the Claw. He gave them both Death Rattle: summon 2/2 Ent then swung them into my giant, leaving it at 1.

I silenced his slime, hit his face and then...

I fucking love Recombobulator

Brofist

Had an absolutely bizarre game in arena vs a priest as a druid.

Turn 4 Priest plays a Piloted Shredder with a 1 health Dark Cultist on board. I swipe and kill both. The shredder summons a Lorewalker Cho which is buffed to 0/7 by the cultist.

Priest casts Divine Spirit / Inner Fire on the Cho to make it a 14/14 on the next turn. For the next 3 turns I'm playing taunts to stall while trying to draw my bgh. With 10 health and facing lethal I last resort play a Thoughtsteal that I got from the priest via Cho and get a SW Death and kill the buffed Cho.

Meanwhile the whole game spare parts were flying back and forth between our hands because of the Cho.

I finally lose when priest plays a Lightwarden that he was able to stealth using spare parts and buff up big with a circle of healing.

Got my first ragequit :D. Was playing my Handlock against a Druid. Dropped Mountain Giant turn 4 on a board with Sludge Belcher and 4/6 Taunt Druid of the Claw. He gave them both Death Rattle: summon 2/2 Ent then swung them into my giant, leaving it at 1.

I silenced his slime, hit his face and then...

I fucking love Recombobulator

What happens if you recombobulate the little sludge from sludge belcher? Do you get another 5 or like a 1 drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom