• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olorin

Here's a fun little experiment I just did:
SqRRmFX.jpg

Apparently, the maximum deck size is 59. (It would go up to 60 and immediately drop down to 59 again)

Here's a fun little experiment I just did:
SqRRmFX.jpg

Apparently, the maximum deck size is 59. (It would go up to 60 and immediately drop down to 59 again)

Really cool. Good experiment. Makes me wonder if they've played around with the idea of decks between 30-60 cards instead of just 30.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Undertaker to 1/1 seems most reasonable. Less likely to 2 or 3 for 1. Still trades up when buffed.

I tend to agree. I don't want to kill the card and even the slightest change has the potential to do that. I think if only attack is buffed that might kill it, like make it as bad as lightwarden. And if it gets buffed to a 3/3 you can still trade with a 3/2. That is always the worst part about the card, you need an immediate response before it becomes a 3/4. If you can still deal with it using a 2 drop that is less of a concern.

And let's not forget mad scientist. It is also straight up crazy at 2 mana. It needs to be 3 mana for sure.

Acinixys

I just played the biggest asshole of a Priest ive every experienced in my life

He waited till his turn was 3 secs from expiring to play any cards

This meant the game was at least 30 minutes long

Thankfully he overdrew like a retard and I survived with 1 HP when he died from -6 fatigue damage, after playing Yesera Awakens thinking I would die

Game was hard and annoying as hell

ViviOggi

Real talk Scientist needs to fucking die

It's the most ridiculous value and removes any agency from the person playing it, leaving the opponent to deal with everything

For the pain in the ass that is playing around secrets the other player should at least be required to place it strategically, not just yolo 2 mana drop a solid body

Minsc

Gold Member
Is unstable portal meant to give a legendary more than half the time? Seems to be about my rare with it.

It has around a 20% chance (18? or so) of pulling a random legendary actually, so it's not surprising to see it getting a lot of them in streaks.

Does anyone have quick facts as to the percent of minions compared to the percent of spells in the game? Regarding only collectible cards that is. And, how has that percent changed from Classic to Naxx to GvG?

Feels like the percent of spells has dropped greatly.

ZealousD

Real talk Scientist needs to fucking die

It's the most ridiculous value and removes any agency from the person playing it, leaving the opponent to deal with everything

For the pain in the ass that is playing around secrets the other player should at least be required to place it strategically, not just yolo 2 mana drop a solid body

Yeah the problem with Mad Scientist is that a 2/2 for 2 mana is still strong enough that you don't even care what secret pops out, you still get insane value from it. The random effect has to be something you plan around, like you only put in secrets x/y/z in your deck because its fine that the effect is random. At 2 mana you don't even care that the effect is random, because it's still a body you can potentially trade with or buff undertaker. At 3 mana its a weaker body and you have to think about your secrets more.

Just had a ridiculous Priest v Priest Arena match where I used Shadowform turn 3 and ended up winning by fatigue. Opponent managed to use 6 Thoughtsteals (don't know how many were his and how many he pinched from my deck) but was ground down by the insane value of my hero power. In card terms, Shadowform must have gone 7-1 or better. First time I've ever tried drafting it.

Leezard

Hunter is being cocky when I'm at 19 health, he drops arcane golem, attacks and brings it back into his hand with a spare part, ignoring my 3-1 and 5-5 board. I get enough mana for Alexstrazsa and bash his face in. I got a quick concede from the guy.

Zeroth

Yeah the problem with Mad Scientist is that a 2/2 for 2 mana is still strong enough that you don't even care what secret pops out, you still get insane value from it. The random effect has to be something you plan around, like you only put in secrets x/y/z in your deck because its fine that the effect is random. At 2 mana you don't even care that the effect is random, because it's still a body you can potentially trade with or buff undertaker. At 3 mana its a weaker body and you have to think about your secrets more.

The solution is clear to me: Turn it into a 4 mana card
so weeks later Blizzard will land on 3 mana.

I was playing around with a Mech Warrior deck for fun and a guy summoned Grommash from an Unstable Portal before I was able to finish him.

The guy I was playing taunted me when he played him too. I think it's just karma for all the times I've taunted others after playing him. =/

Slashlen

Finally got to use up all my Amazon coins, and that coins back deal really helped. Started with 3100, spent 2000, got 1000, spent 2000 again, got 1000, spent 1000. 37 packs!

Also, in terms of % of cards owned, I'm now about as far through GvG as I am in the classic set. Guess that means it's time to lay off the GvG packs.

johnsmith

remember me
I hate playing arena during weeknights. It seems like that's when you play against nothing but paladins with infinite weapons, and mages with infinite flamestrikes. The decks you play against are ridiculous compared to weekends. Undefeated up to 8 wins, and them completely curb stomped. 215 gold reward SHOULD be good, but those losses piss me off more than if I crapped out at 2 wins. I should just start retiring at 7 wins.
/salt

I love how people want to nerf Dr. Boom before they even look at undertaker, Hunter, and other cards.

Give control this one card guys. We've been waiting so long. So very long.

If you ever want I get bored easily and I can try and provide some advice to get you started.

I've been saying nerf undertaker for a long time now. Plus, Dr. Boom seems fine in aggro too. You get 2 deathrattles to buff undertaker after all, plus 9/9 stats off 7 mana makes it pretty good in stompy aggro decks.

MightyKAC

So after playing this for the first time ever a few days ago I'm wondering about a few things:

- On the off chance that I wanna get semi-serious about playing and competing in this game about how much money should I look to spend?
- I'm really liking the feel of the Warlocks play style, is the class viable? If not I'm thinking Mage or Paladin might be alternatives for me?
- Is this one of those kind of games where the monetization is more of an ongoing prospect or can I get away with a one-time cash drop to see me through it?
- Is there a de facto information source I should be looking into (aside from this thread of course) that I would need to keep current on news and strats and such?

Maximo

So after playing this for the first time ever a few days ago I'm wondering about a few things:

- On the off chance that I wanna get semi-serious about playing and competing in this game about how much money should I look to spend?
- I'm really liking the feel of the Warlocks play style, is the class viable? If not I'm thinking Mage or Paladin might be alternatives for me?
- Is this one of those kind of games where the monetization is more of an ongoing prospect or can I get away with a one-time cash drop to see me through it?
- Is there a de facto information source I should be looking into (aside from this thread of course) that I would need to keep current on news and strats and such?

I HIGHLY recommend to watch some of *Trumps Teachings* He goes through every aspect of the game with all the characters and explains in great detail for new Players and hell been playing for a couple of months and even I find the videos informative. Sometimes to get better you gotta go back to the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvEIxIeBRKSjprrvlbAcbVjzHsnH9PjDX

He has also done some *Free To Play* Videos using Cards you get by simply leveling your Hero, also good if you don't have many Cards or no money to burn.

ZealousD

That depends a lot on how much you're looking to play. For myself, I play probably 10 hours a week or so, mostly working on quests and arenas. I budgeted around $20-$30 a month and that got me 95% of the cards I wanted from the vanilla set in about 6-8 months or so? I guess? If you plan on just focusing on a couple classes you can probably get away with less. If you play more than you'll need to pay less, as you can increase your daily gold intake by two or three times by winning up to 30 games per day.

Warlock is arguably one of the strongest classes in constructed because their hero power is so good. There are two common archetypes for Warlock, "Zoo" and "Handlock". Zoo uses cheap, efficient minions to aggressively control the board. "Handlock" uses the hero power to build a large hand to take advantage of certain cards like Twilight Drake and Mountain Giant to overpower your opponent with large threats. The class is much weaker in Arena, though, where Mage and Paladin are the top two classes.

Pretty much however you want to handle it, honestly. Just depends on how impatient you are with wanting to get cards.

There are links in the OP. Hearthpwn is probably the best resource for deckbuilding, that's probably my number one recommendation. One of the most famous Hearthstone streamers, named Trump, just did a "Hearthstone 101" video series of a sorts that goes into basic strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvEIxIeBRKSjprrvlbAcbVjzHsnH9PjDX

1. Depends on what your goal is. Making 1 competitive viable deck shouldn't cost much. But making 4-5 could add up.

2. Warlocks are viable and have been since basically forever. There are two styles of warlock that are time tested and one style that is fairly new and unproven. Handlock is an archetype named after building a large hand for the first few turns just through their hero power and is a control deck (although can be played fairly aggressive as well). Zoolock is an archetype named after just using a variety of small minions that synergize well and is an aggressive board control deck (zoolock is much cheaper to make and easier to learn as a new player). The unproven archetype is a demon tribe deck.

3. Well, a new expansion just hit about a week ago. There was only one other content addition since launch which was in march IIRC. That haven't told us when the next content addon is going to hit but probably at least 3-4 months and probably a small one like the curse of naxxramas. That gives you an idea on how often new content comes out. But you can earn it all for free... or you can pay for all of it, or some mix of earning and paying. That is up to the player.

I've personally spent only 20 bucks in beta, half on arena, half on card packs. Of the classic set, I have just about every card (except I dusted a lot of crappy ones) I will likely ever want. I think there are 3 I don't have that I might want some day - ysera, antonidas, and jaraxxus. So far with the new set, I have dented it pretty hard. It has only been a week and I already opened 1 legendary and crafted 1. And I have like 95% of the commons already and a good chunk of rares. Epics and legendary cards are gonna take a while but in the meantime I still have some decks I can play that don't require it all.

4. There are a couple sites that you can check out for information about the meta and such. Hearthpwn is one of them. I don't really keep up with this kind of thing too much. I just play the game and get an idea of what the meta is about. I also watch streamers but mainly for entertainment not to really get much insight.

So with new people playing and the new expansion what's the deal with Naxx? Seems like a pointless $$$ grab now.

Why do you say that? Lots of naxxramas cards are still good and viable. Seems like just about every deck still runs loatheb.

And undertaker is still OP. Shade of naxx is still good. Haunted creeper. Just to name a few.

johnsmith

remember me
Nerubian egg, sludge belcher, dark cultist, webspinner, spectral knight, mad scientist, zombie chow. Naxxramas cards are still damn good.

johnsmith

remember me
Are there any good updated arena tier lists? I've been doing pretty well with my own selections, but a 2nd opinion is always good. I feel like I'm probably drafting a little too quickly.

Raxus

Are there any good updated arena tier lists? I've been doing pretty well with my own selections, but a 2nd opinion is always good. I feel like I'm probably drafting a little too quickly.

Up in the air for now. Most of the new cards rocketed classes to higher tiers in Arena.

zoukka

Would be fun to make such a list. Healbot is god tier in arena and so is zap-o-matic. Weapons and mass removal are still premium since everyone has great 2-4 drops. Truesilver is still one of the best cards in arena and I think Mage and Pally are still best.

Raxus

Would be fun to make such a list. Healbot is god tier in arena and so is zap-o-matic. Weapons and mass removal are still premium since everyone has great 2-4 drops. Truesilver is still one of the best cards in arena and I think Mage and Pally are still best.

Priest got Velen which is amazing, on top of the shannigans of Mind Control. Shaman got a good weapon. Warriors have some decent late game minions that could make them viable (though they are still likely low tier). I am interested to see the long term breakdown of arenas from twitch broadcasters.

Maximo

Need this on my Mobile Already, It would be like Crack to me ! Can't believe after a few months I still completely suck at Arena, so many GvG Cards I want but can't have ! The Arena Gods are cruel.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
While I feel like I hate this game half the time, I do love when I see an unintended synergy with cards I picked. Power Overwhelming on a Nerubian Egg is such a good combo that I didn't even notice when throwing together this warlock deck.

I also really need to craft a second Iron Beak Owl.

Brofist

deec6b3d6c.jpg

Unstable Portal, ladies and gents.

Edit: Why does War Golem not count as a mech?

I got a Deathwing last night off one too. Actually lost me the game, I had no reasonable time to play it, messed up my whole tempo.

The Prophet Velen I got from one on the other hand. Yeah that was a fun one.

I got a Deathwing last night off one too. Actually lost me the game, I had no reasonable time to play it, messed up my whole tempo.

The Prophet Velen I got from one on the other hand. Yeah that was a fun one.

4 cost Velen followed by 12 damage Fireball and 6 damage Frost Bolt would be insane.

My Micro Machine is at 11/2. I have fatal next turn. In a last ditch effort, the paladin flings Holy Wrath at it. I figure my Micro Machine is as good as dead.

1 dmg...

The victory is yours!

I laughed pretty damn hard.

i just beat a handlock as a priest! i dont know if ive ever done that before, so personal accomplishment

i stuck to the 'dont hit him' plan, and it worked! i mind controlled the 1st mountain giant, which he squandered his 2nd siphon soul on, then i vol'jinned the 2nd mountain giant and built up a huge board, and then dropped rag on him for 25 or so damage

Woot!

Third ever 12-win arena!

C44DjwUl.png

The deck...
jlZEnanl.png

...and the goods.

40VYQiMl.png

That's actually one of the few classic epics I don't have so it wasn't too bad of a loot.

What is the best way to have HS running in an android emulator for PC? I don't have any Android tablet and I'd like not to miss the free pack.

On the same note... if the emulation is feasible, would it be possibile to "fake" a kindle device? Or is there a way to access the amazon store with said emulator? I'm tempted to use some amazon credit with that coin promotion, while it lasts.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
What is the best way to have HS running in an android emulator for PC? I don't have any Android tablet and I'd like not to miss the free pack.

On the same note... if the emulation is feasible, would it be possibile to "fake" a kindle device? Or is there a way to access the amazon store with said emulator? I'm tempted to use some amazon credit with that coin promotion, while it lasts.

Damn you're desperate for 1 Classic Pack. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom