• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I mostly play Zoolock or Freezie Mage, I played as a Warrior to get some dailies finished, ended up making this deck. It brought me from 20 to 18. It feels good to play, but any tips on how to improve it? I don't have Armorsmith, any vanilla legendaries, or Naxx cards past 2nd wing.

geiWYbN.png

johnsmith

remember me
Woo, decided to splurge a little gold on 10 packs and get vol'jin! Though kind of disappointed that now it won't be worth it to craft a gold one.

inky

Although I mostly play Zoolock or Freezie Mage, I played as a Warrior to get some dailies finished, ended up making this deck. It brought me from 20 to 18. It feels good to play, but any tips on how to improve it? I don't have Armorsmith, any vanilla legendaries, or Naxx cards past 2nd wing.

geiWYbN.png

I'd try to get a couple of Arcanite Reapers instead of the Kodo and something else. Not a fan of the 2 Whirlwinds and 2 Ghouls with so situational things to activate, as it seems you have a weird mix of early reactive gameplay, then control. You don't have Cruel Taskmasters? Not saying you should cut them all, but 2 and 2 doesn't convince me and CTs are super useful. I'm assuming you are using the Berserkers and KorKrons as your win conditions, but I feel again that the Arcanite Reapers would be a more solid choice on top pf those. (I'm not sure if you got the Naxx weapon, that is why I didn't recommend it. I forgot which wing gives it, but I assume you'd use it if you had it).

You seem to have OK draw, but I'd even recommend a Gnomish Inventor, or you could consider Senjin Shieldmastas instead of Argus if you are really feeling the need for taunts, and Sunfury protectors if you go with the Gnomish Inventors instead, with the added benefit of an early 2/3 body if needed.

Piloted Shredder could go if you got a couple of early bodies too (ooze maybe) as I feel you are depending too much on you Fiery War Axes early on, and if they don't come you might be screwed. The reason I say this is I feel your deck can't go to the long game very often. The reason control warrior can get away with having those same weak early drops is because they have powerful win conditions for the super late game that you don't. How are you dealing with no silences? I feel like there's so much stuff to silence nowadays that having one in there at least is almost never wasted.

Obviously take my advice with a pinch of salt. I have never tried getting one deck beyond rank 5 and I am certainly no Warrior expert, but that's how I see it. Cheers =)

I'd try to get a couple of Arcanite Reapers instead of the Kodo and something else. Not a fan of the 2 Whirlwinds and 2 Ghouls with so situational things to activate, as it seems you have a weird mix of early reactive gameplay, then control. You don't have Cruel Taskmasters? Not saying you should cut them all, but 2 and 2 doesn't convince me. I'm assuming you are using the Berserkers and KorKrons as your win conditions, but I feel again that the Arcanite Reapers would be a more solid choice on top pf those. (I'm not sure if you got the Naxx weapon, that is why I didn't recommend it. I forgot which wing gives it, but I assume you'd use it if you had it).

You seem to have OK draw, but I'd even recommend a Gnomish Inventor, or you could consider Senjin Shieldmastas instead of Argus if you are really feeling the need for taunts, and Sunfury protectors if you go with the Gnomish Inventors instead, with the added benefit of an early 2/3 body if needed.

Piloted Shredder could go if you got a couple of early bodies too (ooze maybe) as I feel you are depending too much on you Fiery War Axes early on, and if they don't come you might be screwed. But it's a sweet card to use, so I understand. How are you dealing with no silences? I feel like there's so much stuff to silence nowadays that having one in there at least is almost never wasted.

Obviously take my advice with a pinch of salt. I have never tried getting one deck beyond rank 5 and I am certainly no Warrior expert, but that's how I see it. Cheers =)

Thanks for all the advice! I do have Taskmasters, but I'm experimenting right now; I'll probably replace the Ghouls with them. Whirlwind + Sheep have been great at shutting down aggro decks so far.

I think I have Arcanite Reaper, I'll have to double check. And maybe I will throw in a Silence into the deck.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
By "sucks" I assume you mean "great"

yeah I don't get that either.. my current control priest is almost 100% since the expansion.

I did treat myself tonight.. From my pack buying flurry I still had like 4200 dust after buying the legs that might be slightly useful... honestly the only legs left are ones I almost certainly would never pay for (milhouse, tink, etc).. so........

and he is glorious. golden hero portrait, golden ability dropping golden infernals, and when you recombob the infernals those minions are golden also. also as I'm just getting started out as Warlock in GvG... let me just say dropping recombobulator on a damaged infernal to get a replacement 6 drop (that you only paid 2 for !???!??!?) wow.....

inky

Thanks for all the advice! I do have Taskmasters, but I'm experimenting right now; I'll probably replace the Ghouls with them. Whirlwind + Sheep have been great at shutting down aggro decks so far.

I think I have Arcanite Reaper, I'll have to double check. And maybe I will throw in a Silence into the deck.

Arcanite Reaper is a basic card so you should have it. It's gone out of fashion because there are more diverse options out there, but for a deck with a lower curve like yours I feel it is very solid still.

Arcanite Reaper is a basic card so you should have it. It's gone out of fashion because there are more diverse options out there, but for a deck with a lower curve like yours I feel it is very solid still.

I barely play Warrior; before today I think I just played 3-4 matches in ranked with it. Still have a lot to learn with this class. Dunno if I'll stick with it, though.

inky

I barely play Warrior; before today I think I just played 3-4 matches in ranked with it. Still have a lot to learn with this class. Dunno if I'll stick with it, though.

Gotcha. Warrior is fun, but it just goes much better with the long control game, and that deck is expensive as hell. There were early charge Warriors before Naxx, but I haven't seen them in ages. Your best asset right now is their weapons, considering you probably don't have access to all the removal and late game yet.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I posted earlier... warrior IMHO is the hardest class to play free. the big problem is that the free cards give you great control/removal.. I mean using a lot of commons, a few rares, and free cards you can really create a deck that will control nicely up to end game.

and that's the problem with free warrior.. once you get to the end game there are really not many solid free finishers. as you've exhausted a huge chunk of your cards during the control phase and are likely close to if not actually top decking.. you need strong top deck cards that are going to cause pressure and give you a win. most people complain about most warrior decks being pay-2-win, (aka costly) but a lot of that comes because warrior control needs those finishers.. those minions who, with your opponent near full health, can still end the game in a few turns.

I love control warrior. It's my most played class (as apparent by level.. though wins I got screwed because a huge chunk of them came before the 500 wins were tracked).. but at the same time I can't see how playable it would be without at the very least grom and one other finisher (another leg, gore howl used to work though lots of slimes before and more Harrisons now)

Looks like you already got most of the best legendaries,
Bolvar is pretty good I belive,so if you want to play paladin,which is not a bad idea at all,go for it.
Demon-locks play Malganis,but I have no idea how good that deck is.
Some decks are also playing Troggzor,so that's worth considering.

The paladin epics are good.
Recomboulator is awesome in priest and handlock.
Some rush decks play Enchance o Mechanx.
Piloted sky golem is pretty good,because he is more or less a mech cairne

I've not been impressed by Demonlock so far, so I'm not sure I want to commit any dust to it. Enhance-o Mechano and Recombobulator are two good ones. I think I might use Enhance-o in a Shaman Bloodlust type of deck. He'd probably also fit in well in a Zoo deck. I pulled a Piloted Sky Golem today, but I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with him. The Paladin decks I've played against lately were pretty strong, but I'm also missing Tirion. I'd probably craft him before Bolvar. Troggzor might be a good pick. He's kind of weird to play around since you can't use spells to remove him without helping the opponent.

I posted earlier... warrior IMHO is the hardest class to play free. the big problem is that the free cards give you great control/removal.. I mean using a lot of commons, a few rares, and free cards you can really create a deck that will control nicely up to end game.

and that's the problem with free warrior.. once you get to the end game there are really not many solid free finishers. as you've exhausted a huge chunk of your cards during the control phase and are likely close to if not actually top decking.. you need strong top deck cards that are going to cause pressure and give you a win. most people complain about most warrior decks being pay-2-win, (aka costly) but a lot of that comes because warrior control needs those finishers.. those minions who, with your opponent near full health, can still end the game in a few turns.

I love control warrior. It's my most played class (as apparent by level.. though wins I got screwed because a huge chunk of them came before the 500 wins were tracked).. but at the same time I can't see how playable it would be without at the very least grom and one other finisher (another leg, gore howl used to work though lots of slimes before and more Harrisons now)

I was afraid this was the case. All the control decks I've seen on Hearthpwn have a lot of legendaries in them. I'd have shitty luck getting good cards when buying packs. I've spent $40 on this game but don't want to spend more. Guess I'll go back to Zoolock and save up my gold.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Not sure how fun that would be, as decks would be completely broken if you were able to combine cards from different classes.

Just imagine Dust Devil, Charge, and Cold Blood getting together. 20 damage for 5 mana. 28 damage for 6 mana.

Gorehowl + Deadly Poison?

Druid of the Fang in Hunter.

Is there a deck where Gnomish Experimenter isn't trash?

I don't see how that card could ever be useful. They should change it to where if you draw a minion then you get a chicken either in hand or on the board. That would actually be a decent card, but transforming the minion it draws into a chicken is garbage. What's the point of paying one extra mana to draw a card only to have the card ruined?

I'm assuming Gnomish Experimenter was intended for extremely spell heavy decks that largely run only card draw (Novice Engineer, Loot Hoarder) and spell power (Thalnos, Kobold, Azure Drake) minions. It'll probably just never be used though.

Brofist

I've not been impressed by Demonlock so far, so I'm not sure I want to commit any dust to it. Enhance-o Mechano and Recombobulator are two good ones. I think I might use Enhance-o in a Shaman Bloodlust type of deck. He'd probably also fit in well in a Zoo deck. I pulled a Piloted Sky Golem today, but I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with him. The Paladin decks I've played against lately were pretty strong, but I'm also missing Tirion. I'd probably craft him before Bolvar. Troggzor might be a good pick. He's kind of weird to play around since you can't use spells to remove him without helping the opponent.

Demonlock is fun, but too inconsistent compared to the other lock decks. If you don't draw the Voidcallers early it's hard to win. When the pieces fall into place though, you crush the shit out of almost anyone.

zoukka

I don't see how that card could ever be useful. They should change it to where if you draw a minion then you get a chicken either in hand or on the board. That would actually be a decent card, but transforming the minion it draws into a chicken is garbage. What's the point of paying one extra mana to draw a card only to have the card ruined?

Some cards are designed more arena in mind than constructed.

it seems like the 4-drop that randomly gives windfury/taunt/shield is an automatic 8 wins in arena

I imagine it might not be good in constructed since generally full-board power trades only really happen in arena, but it's really damn fun.

Some cards are designed more arena in mind than constructed.

The card is a lot worse in arena where you're more likely to have minions than spells. It's only really playable in freeze mage which did use some of those draw cards, but the added cost for bigger body isn't worth it in that type of decks anyway, plus no one really plays freeze mage anymore.

The card is a lot worse in arena where you're more likely to have minions than spells. It's only really playable in freeze mage which did use some of those draw cards, but the added cost for bigger body isn't worth it in that type of decks anyway, plus no one really plays freeze mage anymore.

Freeze Mage doesn't run a lot of minions, but the ones they do run are critical. Can you imagine drawing your Alexstrasza off of Gnomish Experimenter? Just go ahead and concede.

Except it's a terrible Arena card. Only use for Gnomish Experimenter I can think of could be hobgoblin deck but I'm not sure if he's decent even there.

There are enough 1 attack minions to fill a deck already. I'd use Novice Engineer for card draw before Gnomish Experimenter in a Hobgoblin deck.

Bizazedo

Demonlock is fun, but too inconsistent compared to the other lock decks. If you don't draw the Voidcallers early it's hard to win. When the pieces fall into place though, you crush the shit out of almost anyone.

Been enjoying the hell out of my demonlock, but also threw in two Banes of Doom for lulz. It actually has so many direct damage for minion spells OR buffs, plus Imp-Plosion, that it's been working pretty well*.

*Just returned so still high rank, haven't battled low yet.

garath

So sorry for the complete newbie post here but I just picked up the game yesterday. I had a day off and needed something quick and easy and Hearthstone fit the bill.

Unlocked all the classes and won my first 5 casual matches then proceeded to lose like the next 10 lol. Apparently the 3-4 freebie packs I got were not nearly enough to craft a decent deck. I was getting smashed by some real strong cards.

What's the best way to go about putting together a decent deck? Just spam packs? Melt down all the cards from other classes I'm not going to play immediately and craft say rogue specific ones?

Gold doesn't exactly seem to flow freely though and I'm not too enthusiastic about spending a lot of real money. $20 or so wouldn't bother me but is it even worth spending that little?

I'll be digging through the OP and some of those resources but I figured a quick newbie post wouldn't hurt :)

edit: That reddit post was pretty damn helpful. Not going to jump into crafting for awhile I guess. Going to spend some more time leveling up the other classes (and probably just continue to lose for awhile since it's all starter decks).

ViviOggi

So sorry for the complete newbie post here but I just picked up the game yesterday. I had a day off and needed something quick and easy and Hearthstone fit the bill.

Unlocked all the classes and won my first 5 casual matches then proceeded to lose like the next 10 lol. Apparently the 3-4 freebie packs I got were not nearly enough to craft a decent deck. I was getting smashed by some real strong cards.

What's the best way to go about putting together a decent deck? Just spam packs? Melt down all the cards from other classes I'm not going to play immediately and craft say rogue specific ones?

Gold doesn't exactly seem to flow freely though and I'm not too enthusiastic about spending a lot of real money. $20 or so wouldn't bother me but is it even worth spending that little?

I'll be digging through the OP and some of those resources but I figured a quick newbie post wouldn't hurt :)
If you want to spend money either get the 'adventure campaign' Naxxramas because its gold:real money price is heavily skewed towards real money compared to buying packs. The SP content is shit but it will net you a bunch of decent cards you can't acquire any other way. If you want some packs to get you started there's currently a promotion going on at the Amazon app store where you get half your Amazon coins back, it's explained one or two pages back (including an emulation method in case you don't own an Android tablet).

20 bucks won't get you far though, hell 50 probably won't. The best way to expand your collection over time is getting good at arena - although you'll only earn packs from the newly released GvG expansion there. Many cards from the classic set are still highly relevant, so maybe do something like buying one classic pack directly for every arena you play? This is possibly the worst time to start from scratch tbh. In terms of starter decks you'll want to build towards Hunter, Zoo Warlock or Mech Mage, those are the most effective cheap archetypes.

garath

If you want to spend money either get the 'adventure campaign' Naxxramas because its gold:real money price is heavily skewed towards real money compared to buying packs. The SP content is shit but it will net you a bunch of decent cards you can't acquire any other way. If you want some packs to get you started there's currently a promotion going on at the Amazon app store where you get half your Amazon coins back, it's explained one or two pages back (including an emulation method in case you don't own an Android tablet).

20 bucks won't get you far though, hell 50 probably won't. The best way to expand your collection over time is getting good at arena - although you'll only earn packs from the newly released GvG expansion there. Many cards from the classic set are still highly relevant, so maybe do something like buying one classic pack directly for every arena you play? This is possibly the worst time to start from scratch tbh. In terms of starter decks you'll want to build towards Hunter, Zoo Warlock or Mech Mage, those are the most effective cheap archetypes.

I really appreciate the input. Sucks to hear this is a rough time to start. I always intended on giving it a shot. I even got beta access early lol.

I liked the hunter gameplay. I'll probably work on that some. Current playing with a rogue.

I'll look up the Amazon coins thing. I have my son's kindle fire that I loaded it on last night to get the free pack lol.

Vitanimus

I just started and I'm surprised how super addictive and pretty it is on my phone... I've moderately dabbled in playing Magic so that sorta helped understand the mechanics a lot quicker. Although, reading about how skewed the game is towards using real money to build viable decks is kinda disheartening

ViviOggi

I just started and I'm surprised how super addictive and pretty it is on my phone... I've moderately dabbled in playing Magic so that sorta helped understand the mechanics a lot quicker. Although, reading about how skewed the game is towards using real money to build viable decks is kinda disheartening

That's not really it except for Naxxramas, if anything it's skewed towards time. What you get through daily quests is actually relatively generous, you'll be able to buy one pack + keep some change every two days just by playing a handful of matches. Dailies are pooled for three days, so as long as you're spending an hour or two every three days (this even saves you time because quests tend to overlap) you'll be making a decent amount of gold.

The thing is that dailies are the best and most reliable gold source by a large margin. You'll earn 10 gold for every 3 wins in constructed mode, but with matches ranging between five to fiveteen minutes that's really not that much. With useful cards now being spread across the classic set, the Goblins vs. Gnomes expansion and Naxxramas you'll constantly have to juggle your gold as a new player, whereas before all you had to do to get a nice collection going was learning to play arena.

On the other hand buying packs for real money is a total crapshoot. You could spend 40 bucks, get lucky and pull a lot of good (not in terms of rarity) cards, or drop 200 and get a load of duds. While you can disenchant useless and duplicate cards into dust to then craft specific ones the return rates are low. It'll let you fill holes in your collection eventually but it's another more long term thing.

That being said collecting cards is absolutely part of the appeal. It's just that it has become much less straight-forward in recent times.

Szadek

On the other hand buying packs for real money is a total crapshoot. You could spend 40 bucks, get lucky and pull a lot of good (not in terms of rarity) cards, or drop 200 and get a load of duds.
Yeah,but only if you are the most unlucky person in the history of the universe.

Bizazedo

Got 5 packs last night since I had 500 gold and our raid in WoW was doing a 10 minute bio break. I always highlight the cards before revealing them just to see the colors / indicators before I do. Feels more fun.

My last pack two of the cards gave off that golden glow. Hype levels rose. I slowly spun them around.....

Two Trade Prince Gallywix. I usually never play Rogue. I have no idea how to feel. I did use the one to help craft a Dr. Boom, though.

ViviOggi

this just happend:

KPiyrDP.png

0iMIkRM.png

löl

btw: i won that match.

Kid probably got that from a streamer who often criticize their opponents for coining out a 2-drop - followed by hero power. Like, that's the whole point, it's a waste of the coin when you don't have a followup. Given you had turns 2 and 3 already laid out your play was 100% correct.

Its been a while since someone raged at me. Probably means I'm doing something wrong. Last guy who 2x ppl who friended me wanted to say gg and said something about the match like "damn that sprint brought you back into the game" and "I didn't see that alexstrasza coming". I expected them to say "fcuk sprint OP!" and "Alexstrasza in rogue u hipster!".

it's only bad if they played a 2/1 on turn 1 or if you don't have a followup.

it's funny how many people in arena will coin a 2 drop on turn 1 and then hero power on turn 2.

Minsc

Gold Member
Kid probably got that from a streamer who often criticize their opponents for coining out a 2-drop - followed by hero power. Like, that's the whole point, it's a waste of the coin when you don't have a followup. Given you had turns 2 and 3 already laid out your play was 100% correct.

Having the coin without either two 2-drops and a 3-drop, or two 4-drops and a 2-drop in your starting hand is where things get tricky. It never feels great coining out a 3-drop on turn 2, when you have a 2-drop in hand, without another 3-drop to play.

So what do you coin when you have a 2,3,4,5,6 drop as your first 5 cards? Any turn you pick will leave your next turn weak; coin out the 4-drop turn 3, and you're left with a 3-drop and 5-drop turn 4, but no 4-drop. It's games like that going second really feels like an uphill battle.

ViviOggi

Having the coin without either two 2-drops and a 3-drop, or two 4-drops and a 2-drop in your starting hand is where things get tricky. It never feels great coining out a 3-drop on turn 2, when you have a 2-drop in hand, without another 3-drop to play.

So what do you coin when you have a 2,3,4,5,6 drop as your first 5 cards? Any turn you pick will leave your next turn weak; coin out the 4-drop turn 3, and you're left with a 3-drop and 5-drop turn 4, but no 4-drop. It's games like that going second really feels like an uphill battle.
Just keep it until you draw a second x-drop out or a situation arises where coining out a card answers your opponent's board better than your on-curve drop. I know where you're coming from but for this to really be an issue your opponent has to curve out perfectly as well, which is pretty rare in the grand scheme of things.

I think these "rules" on when to coin or not are pretty bogus. I sometimes coin out a 2 drop without a 2 drop follow up on turn 2. Sometimes in constructed I coin hero power on turn 1, especially if I have an autobarber in hand and I expect my opponent to drop a 2hp minion.

Part of the point it to use every single resource available. And since rogue's hero power sticks with you, I think its perfectly fine to coin out a minion on turn 1 and hero power turn 2. Also, it really just depends on the match up and your long term plan to win. Most of the time I do agree that there is no point to coining a minion out and then hero powering. Although I'd imagine sometimes your plan changes from turn 1 to turn 2.

Another instance is with shaman. Getting a haunted creeper out on turn 1 and then hero power turn 2 is fine imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom