• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gap between War Golem (never used) and Dr. Boom (fits in nearly any deck), speaks to its imbalance at 7 mana. Make it 8 and I think it'd be a better compromise for the card.

There is basically no correct response to it, other then finish the game on your turn after it is played. Near every play against it results in a poor trade.

If Blizzard nerfs it, they'll probably just make the bombs target anything at random rather than any enemy at random. Which would be fine imo. After Boom gets blown up by his own bombs a couple times, he'd start coming out of a couple decks.

Hell, make it so the Bombs can target any character except for Dr. Boom. It opens up the chance to hit yourself if you play it on an empty board or hit your other minions if you have others out, but doesn't risk you blowing up your own 7 drop. I think that right there would be a perfectly acceptable nerf.

EDIT: thinking more, I'm worried that if the bots can hit your own hero or minions is maybe too much of a nerf.

Just had a Handlock recombobulate a Molten Giant and I realized that's a perfect combo since the only card that costs 20 mana is a Molten Giant. Really wish I had some of those to mess around with.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
There is basically no correct response to it, other then finish the game on your turn after it is played. Near every play against it results in a poor trade.
Remove Dr. Boom and the player is left with two side-grade leper gnomes.

As mentioned, making the bots target any minion basically Tinks the card into uselessness. You'd be a moron to use it.

I dunno what else to say regarding mad scientist but emphasize the fact that it draws a card and plays one. I think that is as stronger than iron sensei's affect which happens at the end of the turn and only impacts mechs.

Guaranteed to draw (basically) the worst cards in your deck (i mean really... They are easily the lowest value) is not a card draw. Iron sensei is more powerful because it's persistent and perpetual. If there are one or more mechs on the board every turn he will continue to hand out persistent +1/1s. That is HUGE!

I think the disconnect here is over the value of secrets. As someone who plays against them more than with them... I just don't see serious value there. Value yes, but paladin secrets are generally awful, hunter is usually played with two secrets that are easy to account for, and Mage is the most secret heavy class but is also the easiest to play around (just always do the weakest of everything first)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Why are secrets the lowest value? They're over budgeted spells... the downside being you can attempt to minimize their impact. They aren't low value though.

Seriously. Explosive Trap is consecration for 1 less mana. Freezing Trap is Sap with the added benefit that it makes the the card that triggers it almost unplayable. Mirror Entity gives you a copy of your opponent's minion which is huge if that minion costs 4 mana or more (making it extremely difficult for your opponent to play on curve if it's played early).

Not to mention that being forced to play around any number of traps also forces your opponent to make bad plays in general. Hell, even if it plays a lower value secret like Ice Armor that's a 2 mana 2/2 that heals you for 8, that's almost as powerful as an Antique Healbot, and it only costs 2 FRIGGIN MANA.

UT is best either starting at 1/1 or like you said raised cost to 2. We pretty much agree on that point. Raising him to 2 mana is probably the best of those 2.

2 mana UT basically kills the card. You'd basically have to wait until Turn 3 to play him, and even then all you'd get is a river croc. If he was a 2 mana 2/2, then he'd be fine at 2 mana.

Ashodin

Played on my phone:

His Turn 1: Pass
My Turn 1: Pass

His Turn 2: Call Pet
My Turn 2: Innervate, Coin, Fel Reaver

His Turn 3: Drops Dire Wolf Alpha, I burn 3 cards
My Turn 3: Mark of the Wild, 10 to the face

His Turn 4: Call Pet was River Crocolisk, drops it, then Houndmaster on it
My Turn 4: Keeper of the Grove silence on the Crocolisk, boom another 10 to the face

His Turn 5: Concede

rac

Banned
Dr Boom is a fun card that's also strong. Who the hell cares if its stronger than war golem no one played that card anyways.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Seriously. Explosive Trap is consecration for 1 less mana. Freezing Trap is Sap with the added benefit that it makes the the card that triggers it almost unplayable. Mirror Entity gives you a copy of your opponent's minion which is huge if that minion costs 4 mana or more (making it extremely difficult for your opponent to play on curve if it's played early).

Not to mention that being forced to play around any number of traps also forces your opponent to make bad plays in general. Hell, even if it plays a lower value secret like Ice Armor that's a 2 mana 2/2 that heals you for 8, that's almost as powerful as an Antique Healbot, and it only costs 2 FRIGGIN MANA.
Except that all of that can be played around. It's a cheap consecration (for example) because it only activates on going to the face, etc. I'm not saying their awful. I'm saying they are the lowest value because they can be played around. I can't play around consecration. I can play around explosive trap. Etc.

2 mana UT basically kills the card. You'd basically have to wait until Turn 3 to play him, and even then all you'd get is a river croc. If he was a 2 mana 2/2, then he'd be fine at 2 mana.
2 mana gets you a 2/3 with coin on turn two (even body) or worst case a 3/4 on turn four. The ridiculous now comes from a 2/3 on turn one with two minions on the board. That is the definition of OP. frankly the card can actually be stood to be killed and it would STILL be useful.

UT is a tough call as he's basically a value enhancer to other cards.. So how do you value that? His value itself is very little. It's basically that you can then play an unlimited number of +1/1s for 1 mana plus a minion on the board (with deathrattle).

Dr Boom is a fun card that's also strong. Who the hell cares if its stronger than war golem no one played that card anyways.

IDC about it being stronger than war golem. Most cards are anyway.

I'm more or less worried it just might be too much better than war golem. Only blizzard will be able to really determine that. So I guess my opinion really falls squarely on: it could be OP. Hard to tell this early post-expansion.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Except that all of that can be played around. It's a cheap consecration (for example) because it only activates on going to the face, etc. I'm not saying their awful. I'm saying they are the lowest value because they can be played around. I can't play around consecration. I can play around explosive trap. Etc.

Sometimes, being forced to play around a secret is its own value. Let's say you're against a mage, they've got a secret up, and you're at 7 mana. You've got Dr. Boom in your hand, and outside of the secret, let's say the board state was a perfect time for you to play it. Do you dare play it? No. So you plop down some random 2 drop and the secret doesn't even trigger. The mage just forced you to play off curve because you were scared of mirror entity and the mage didn't even have it. You are forced to play around the secret until you play the process of elimination game.

Yes, secrets are cheaper because you can play around them. That's not nearly as much of a concern with mad scientist because you get the secret for free. F-R-E-E. I don't even freaking care what secret I get off of mad scientist because it's worth it. It pulls from the deck, not even my hand, so I don't even lose card advantage. It was free.

2 mana gets you a 2/3 with coin on turn two (even body) or worst case a 3/4 on turn four. The ridiculous now comes from a 2/3 on turn one with two minions on the board. That is the definition of OP. frankly the card can actually be stood to be killed and it would STILL be useful.

UT is a tough call as he's basically a value enhancer to other cards.. So how do you value that? His value itself is very little. It's basically that you can then play an unlimited number of +1/1s for 1 mana plus a minion on the board (with deathrattle).

Turn 2 2/3 that even requires coin is beyond bad. The card would not be used if it cost 2 mana and stayed as is otherwise.

ViviOggi

Secrets are overbudgeted for their mana cost exactly because unlike the comparable spells they are telegraphed. So unless you're using a very different definition than the HS community they're high value cards. The problem with Scientist is that he completely absolves you of the responsibility that was accounted for when the secrets were designed while also thinning your deck. Outside of fringe cases like Innervate (which is a highly problematic card as well) you wouldn't use your turn 2 to play a Freezing Trap. Secretkeeper removes all downsides of secrets while strengthening your board at the same time.

Also playing around secrets isn't that easy in the early game where your entire board dies to Explosive (if you're something like Zoo), don't have an answer to Snakeboys because you have to mulligan those or only have a single minion on the board that your gameplan requires to be exploited - on the other hand, not dealing with it immediately threatens free Bow charges. 2-drops shouldn't create situations like this, just like a 1-drop shouldn't draw premium removal on a consistent basis.

G.ZZZ

IDC about it being stronger than war golem. Most cards are anyway.

I'm more or less worried it just might be too much better than war golem. Only blizzard will be able to really determine that. So I guess my opinion really falls squarely on: it could be OP. Hard to tell this early post-expansion.

There isn't a single card in the game that's better than another with the same exact stats and mana cost, aside from class cards. This include the type of the creature so no knife juggler isn't better than Bloodfen raptor. The only exception in the game is Boom. As to why this is bad, well, the philosophy was to have definite values assigned to cards, and if you violate this rule there's nothing stopping blizzard from making 5/5 for 3 mana in the future and that's just shitty design.

So for the sake of consistent power level Boom should be nerfed, or golem buffed. That they already broke this rule at the SECOND expansion in the game isn't good for the game future and also show extreme lazy design decision.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I think the Dr Boom War Golem comparison mostly just demonstrates how terrible the golem was, not how great Dr Boom is. And I don't see them ever buffing the golem just like they'll never buff magma rager. I also think its fine for outright bad cards to be obsoleted by good cards.

Dr Boom is good, but I don't think he's so insane to need a nerf. I think Barongeddon is about as good, it's just that his effect isn't as obvious in its use in some decks whereas Dr Boom is the first 7cc that just has a generally good ability. Something about the Baron's ability causes people to underestimate it (Remember at blizzcon how stats showed that the baron was probably the best card in warrior? Even better than Grom?) and I also think people overestimate Dr Boom a tiny bit. Meaning I believe them more equal in power level than most would believe.

What the Blizzcon stats and Baron and Dr Boom has taught us is that control decks should be playing 7drops in general because they are outstanding. And what people are experiencing isn't the power of Dr Boom for the first time, but the power of playing 7 drops for the first time.

There isn't a single card in the game that's better than another with the same exact stats and mana cost, aside from class cards. This include the type of the creature so no knife juggler isn't better than Bloodfen raptor. The only exception in the game is Boom. As to why this is bad, well, the philosophy was to have definite values assigned to cards, and if you violate this rule there's nothing stopping blizzard from making 5/5 for 3 mana in the future and that's just shitty design.

So for the sake of consistent power level Boom should be nerfed, or golem buffed. That they already broke this rule at the SECOND expansion in the game isn't good for the game future and also show extreme lazy design decision.

Dr. Boom is not just another 7 cost minion. He is a legendary 7 cost minion and that alone makes him capable of being stronger than a non-legendary. The downside being you can only have 1, which does add a bit of inconsistency if you think about it.

There is no such thing as definite values. We've seen time and time again that cards are only roughly balanced around values. Even war golem himself is underbudget being a 7/7 with no text and no tribe. There are many cards that are not equal in strength despite costing the same. But that is okay, because card games are not designed to be equal.

If they ever add a card that is strictly stronger than a good card - then we'll probably start having trouble with power creep. But making a card better than a current crappy card that never sees play... that is just not problematic. I fully expect them to make cards stronger than bad ones, because if they make them roughly the exactly the same strength, they'll never be played anyway. Imagine Dr. Boom being a 5/5 + 2x 1/1s with no text on any of them. That would be a rough sidegrade to war golem. In practice it would likely be better than war golem. That is not a card that would be played for 7 mana.

I can understand the concern about power creep, but I don't think power creep of this sort (if you can even call this power creep) is of concern.

edit:
I figured I flesh out briefly why power creep is bad.

I think the concern is that power creep absolutely can make old cards have absolutely no purpose and thus unplayable.

Do you agree?

War golem was never been playable, hence nothing has changed :)

G.ZZZ

Dr. Boom is not just another 7 cost minion. He is a legendary 7 cost minion and that alone makes him capable of being stronger than a non-legendary. The downside being you can only have 1, which does add a bit of inconsistency if you think about it.

There is no such thing as definite values. We've seen time and time again that cards are only roughly balanced around values. Even war golem himself is underbudget being a 7/7 with no text and no tribe. There are many cards that are not equal in strength despite costing the same. But that is okay, because card games are not designed to be equal.

If they ever add a card that is strictly stronger than a good card - then we'll probably start having trouble with power creep. But making a card better than a current crappy card that never sees play... that is just not problematic. I fully expect them to make cards stronger than bad ones, because if they make them roughly the exactly the same strength, they'll never be played anyway. Imagine Dr. Boom being a 5/5 + 2x 1/1s with no text on any of them. That would be a rough sidegrade to war golem. In practice it would likely be better than war golem. That is not a card that would be played for 7 mana.

I can understand the concern about power creep, but I don't think power creep of this sort (if you can even call this power creep) is of concern.

edit:
I figured I flesh out briefly why power creep is bad.

I think the concern is that power creep absolutely can make old cards have absolutely no purpose and thus unplayable.

Do you agree?

War golem was never been playable, hence nothing has changed :)

No it's a design issue, an old bad card being unplayable has nothing to do with it, it's just leaving the designed rules already the second expansion in the game, worrying because it's the laziest decision ever
sleeping.gif

Basic set was nice and consistent, Naxx too, second expansion in and already we see straight power creezzz
sleeping.gif

No it's a design issue, an old bad card being unplayable has nothing to do with it, it's just leaving the designed rules already the second expansion in the game, worrying because it's the laziest decision ever
sleeping.gif

Basic set was nice and consistent, Naxx too, second expansion in and already we see straight power creezzz
sleeping.gif

What designed rules? Wtf are you even talking about? I'm sorry but that is a BS empty response.

Bad because it is lazy?

Bad because it breaks "rules"?

Can't have a discussion if you're basically gonna respond claiming "well its bad design" with no reasoning to back it up.

johnsmith

remember me
I need to crank out some quests and haven't played constructed since gvg came out. Give me some op druid/rogue/warlock/priest decks.

Xanathus

I need to crank out some quests and haven't played constructed since gvg came out. Give me some op druid/rogue/warlock/priest decks.

Naxx fast druid
2x of Innervate, Wrath, Echoing Ooze, Haunted Creeper, Savage Roar, Shade of Naxx, Swipe, Defender of Argus, Keeper of Grove, Druid Claw, Spectral Knight, FoN, Ancient Lore

1x of BGH, Harvest Golem, Loatheb, Black Knight

Obviously the 1x's can be replaced with any tech card like Harrison.

johnsmith

remember me
Naxx fast druid
2x of Innervate, Wrath, Echoing Ooze, Haunted Creeper, Savage Roar, Shade of Naxx, Swipe, Defender of Argus, Keeper of Grove, Druid Claw, Spectral Knight, FoN, Ancient Lore

1x of BGH, Harvest Golem, Loatheb, Black Knight

Obviously the 1x's can be replaced with any tech card like Harrison.

I want to play with some of the new gvg stuff. Just crafted myself a golden dr boom. Card budget is no problem.

Threw together a suitable rendition of reynad's druid mech and it's doing work.

And finally got to use vol'jin. Used it on an earth elemental which then died to a loot hoarder. So good.

Xanathus

I want to play with some of the new gvg stuff. Just crafted myself a golden dr boom. Card budget is no problem.

Threw together a suitable rendition of reynad's druid mech and it's doing work.

And finally got to use vol'jin. Used it on an earth elemental which then died to a loot hoarder. So good.
Druids didn't get anything good from GvG and if you play a mech Druid you will actually have a worse matchup vs control warrior.

There is beast Ramp druid but I'm not sure how good it is. I haven't seen people playing it and I don't have Malorne.

Druids didn't get anything good from GvG and if you play a mech Druid you will actually have a worse matchup vs control warrior.

There is beast Ramp druid but I'm not sure how good it is. I haven't seen people playing it and I don't have Malorne.

Grove tender is pretty awesome. The annodized bear is pretty solid.

I think the jury is still out on a couple other cards, but they have potential at least.

caesar

Banned

Saw one Malorne on my entire climb. Bgh'd it and hoped it wouldn't come back. Didn't thankfully.

Xanathus

The bear is really good. It never feels good when you draw it, but somehow it always represents good value.

Uh the bear is pretty mediocre in constructed and only has value if you're specifically running a Mech deck, but the problem with Druid Mech is that they don't have class cards that synergize with Mechs. If you want to play a Mech deck there are so many other classes that do it better, even Rogue.

Also just played against a Druid in arena that had Kelthuzard and Sneed's Old Shredder... still won.

Uh the bear is pretty mediocre in constructed and only has value if you're specifically running a Mech deck, but the problem with Druid Mech is that they don't have class cards that synergize with Mechs.

So you say, but I've been running it in a non-mech deck and it is just what Druid needs for the early game. Combine it with power of the wild and it really helps getting killed with a lot of high value cards sitting in your hand.

Also just played against a Druid in arena that had Kelthuzard and Sneed's Old Shredder... still won.

Sneeds on the other hand I haven't been able to make work in any deck. Does it fit anywhere? Just seems way too slow.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Running a really low cost aggro hunter deck, and I got to say I really like the Glaivezooka. 2 cost for a 2/2 weapon, and it buffs a creature, I think its really good.

Is there an easy way to emulate playing on an Android tablet to get the free pack?

I used Amiduos which Servbot posted previously:

fuck all other android emulators www.amiduos.com is the real deal, i just used it to finally used my amazon coins to buy naxramass and a bunch of packs. The catch is that it only works on Intel processors machines but man does it work well and fast. You don't even need to install google play on it since it has by default the amazon app.

I tried two other Android emulators for my Windows 8 PC: Andyroid and BlueStacks. Both gave me errors (one didn't load at all for some reason despite a few attempts to re-install and the other said that my device wasn't compatible with Hearthstone). Anyway, Amiduos worked and I even went through the Amazon Appstore and used all my saved up coins to buy about 7 packs with said coins.

G.ZZZ

What designed rules? Wtf are you even talking about? I'm sorry but that is a BS empty response.

Bad because it is lazy?

Bad because it breaks "rules"?

Can't have a discussion if you're basically gonna respond claiming "well its bad design" with no reasoning to back it up.

I had a reason, you just don't see it as valid. For me it's essential in a CG. Differents PoVs and all that.

Also there's nothing to discuss, Boom is the first card that broke a constant of the game and that's fact. Again, it's a matter of preference of design whether one like or not that card have not a specific design constraint on efficiency and no one card is just "better" than another. I don't because it just make for lazy design options in the future where a new card could be made appealing by just +1 an old card, instead of exploring other branching possibilities.

Majine

Banned
Weird seeing the tournament spectator mode, and the opponents cards are all upside down. It works, I guess, although not very elegant.

Keasar

7 losses in a row and counting. Following guides. Trying pre-built decks. Everything I play gets wrecked anyway. Just had a match against a hunter that ended 30 - 0 to him. Didnt get a single hit in.

zoukka

7 losses in a row and counting. Following guides. Trying pre-built decks. Everything I play gets wrecked anyway. Just had a match against a hunter that ended 30 - 0 to him. Didnt get a single hit in.

You are new, you are probably making bad plays, you will improve with time.

FeD.nL

I got Gahz'rilla as a random beast. Within 2 turns, it became a 384 hit point monster!

Seriously thinking of crafting it now.

https://db.tt/RYypRZ00[/MG][/QUOTE]

He's quite fun if you can buff him up, running him in a control hunter deck with pyro's etc. If he's survives his first turn then it's most of the time game. Pyro + Arcane shot sometimes I threw in a trap 24/48 dmg for lethal. But I have to say it is highly situational though still very fun to pull off.

Keasar

Fucking hunter got out two of these fuckers that get +1/+1 per deathrattle on the first two rounds and then proceeded to build them up to infinity without stop. Match ended 30 - 0 again.

I fucking hate this game at times.

edit: Warlock cunt drew stealth imps who healed everything every round and two gnome dicks who threw damage everytime he summoned more minions. Fucking hilarious fun....

Spl1nter

Started playing hearthstone about 3 weeks ago. Normal play is pretty difficult when you have horrible decks and run into people with amazing legendaries. Also get wrecked by RNG more with my poor decks.

After saving gold for the first two naxramas missions I decided to try arena for unlocking instead. The first two arena runs which were free went horrible. My third I went 2-3, hunter was probably a poor choice for arena. My fourth run went pretty well yesterday, 5-3 with a mage. Probably could of got 6 or 7 if not for some bad misplays. Thus, I decided to start another arena session today and rolled mage again. I thought you always got a choice of legendaries but nope. Also never got choice for flamestrike and or minions more than 6 mana. This should be interesting, but at least I have chugga chugga.

Looking at life totals is probably the worst way to play the game. The only health that matters is the difference between 1 and 0, especially at lower ranks where the big combo finishers like Force of Nature + Savage Roar and Handlock Giant shenanigans are going to be less of an issue.

I'm terrible at giving advice, but to new players I would generally say:
- If you can trade, you should trade about 85% of the time.
- Curve is so important now. Try and mulligan for your good early game drops, play a 3-drop on turn 3, 4-drop on turn 4.
- Unless you are super aggro, don't dump your hand. Many players fall into the trap of playing a bunch of cards when they don't have to. Don't play more cards than necessary, because Flamestrike, Explosive, Auchenai/COH and other stuff is always waiting. Less of a problem for warlocks which is why they're so good.

Keasar

Next time I see someone with a animated hero portrait and golden ability token, I'm conceding immediatly, not gonna touch that shit.

Ultrabum

Hearthstone is really unfriendly to new players.

The negative externalitiy of your opponent playing ledgendaries makes this worse. Feels like pay to win (or grind gold to win).

Hearthstone is really unfriendly to new players.

The negative externalitiy of your opponent playing ledgendaries makes this worse. Feels like pay to win (or grind gold to win).

I feel like this is true of all CCGs. Hearthstone actually isn't that bad compared to Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh. You can at least get some cards without paying anything at all, provided you're willing to grind gold. It'd be cool if they sold pre-made decks for a certain amount like the starter decks in those game, "Jaina's Spellbook", "Garrosh's Armoury" or something like that. Make them less good than the very best netdecks, but include the good rares and some of the good epics (I feel like these are more important than Legendaries for new players).

I think some people get the idea that because Trump, Amaz, Kripp or whoever have every card that they too, can get every card for free. It's just not realistic. It's a pro streamers job to have every card.

Also, the meta is harder than it can be for physical games. Unless you're willing to travel, you're generally only competing against players from your store or your friends. Hearthstone is a game where you're competing against your whole continent, thousands of whom are working on the metagame at any one time. It's tough. I'm glad I got into the game around the end of the beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom