• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
I've thrown ben brode a tweet about the whole sap/thaddius thing since I asked him a while ago whether sap is supposed to trigger deathrattle or not.

https://twitter.com/KindbudiiIchig0/status/504624601134280704

He originally used the word destroyed, which I assume means dead but could also mean something else like fizzled but that would be a bit weird.

Like most bug threads, discussion has agreed it should be working (sap one, kill the other, get thaddius), but now people want proof it's actually not. Possible he didn't notice the second was silenced when it died or something. You basically need to supply a youtube video at this point, but it sounds like it's clearly a bug if it indeed happens.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Hit a brick wall at rank 5, literally everyone I play is using the Mad Scientist deck. Then again, so am I lol.
Unless you are like the best hearthstone player in the world, trying to get past rank 5 playing mirror matches is craziness. Just make a deck to beat mad scientist hunter and you will rocket up the ladder.

Like most bug threads, discussion has agreed it should be working (sap one, kill the other, get thaddius), but now people want proof it's actually not. Possible he didn't notice the second was silenced when it died or something. You basically need to supply a youtube video at this point, but it sounds like it's clearly a bug if it indeed happens.

It wasn't silenced. Guy was playing a Rogue, he had no class silence and he never played Ironbeak or Spellbreaker. I didn't think to take a screenshot at the time because I was in the middle of a game, but that's pretty much how it happened. I doubt I'll ever see it happen again in regular play, but it wouldn't be too difficult to redo it in a private game.

Dynamic3

Unless you are like the best hearthstone player in the world, trying to get past rank 5 playing mirror matches is craziness. Just make a deck to beat mad scientist hunter and you will rocket up the ladder.

Any suggestions? I found a zoo hunter that may work.

slayn

Any suggestions? I found a zoo hunter that may work.
If you really are facing 100% mad scientist hunter some kind of hyper aggro deck would wreck them pretty hard. Like a face charge hunter or aggro warrior that just hits them in the face with weapons, heroic/mortal strikes, and so forth. They have 0 healing and almost no taunts. So a deck that just outputs more damage faster will win.

Zoo is a maybe, but expect to lose to unleash the hounds a lot.

slayn

The hard counter to hunter is control warrior, but I doubt you have all the legendaries to make it work. The soft counter is miracle rogue but it's only slightly favorable match-up.
Wha? I don't agree at all. Warriors have a real rough time dealing with savannah and freezing trap. This style of hunter was the original reason control warrior went out of style (and then it got kicked while it was down by miracle rogue).

I think a deck that is just faster damage is the way to go. I particularly like aggro warrior on paper because aggro warrior rarely has more than 2 creatures on board for unleash and a significant amount of its damage comes from weapons that pierce through freezing trap.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of the mill counting as destroyed over death. On one end, mill decks are rare, and even then, it's rough to actually mill. Out of all of the times I've played a mill deck, maybe half of them were able to actually pull it off. So maybe it's a benefit to those type of decks. On the other hand, it just kind of sucks that it can completely negate / cancel out other cards and effects. I suppose silence does the same thing, but you still get the body at the end of it.

Though now I'm curious if a mill kill will stop Kel'Thuzad from resurrecting that minion, and from the sound of the tweet, it's probably yes.

Magnus

Is Battle.net down AGAIN?

wtf is this. Why does Hearthstone have an online requirement for Battle.net?

WoW doesn't even have that.

Dynamic3

The hard counter to hunter is control warrior, but I doubt you have all the legendaries to make it work. The soft counter is miracle rogue but it's only slightly favorable match-up.

Yeah, outside of the Naxx guys all I have is Leeroy, Hogger and Thalnos.

Maybe the old Tryhard warrior deck?

Xanathus

Wha? I don't agree at all. Warriors have a real rough time dealing with savannah and freezing trap. This style of hunter was the original reason control warrior went out of style (and then it got kicked while it was down by miracle rogue).

I think a deck that is just faster damage is the way to go. I particularly like aggro warrior on paper because aggro warrior rarely has more than 2 creatures on board for unleash and a significant amount of its damage comes from weapons that pierce through freezing trap.

The reason why control warrior is a hard counter is because you normally only have at most 1 or 2 minions on the board at a time which neutralizes the UTH buzzard combo. The only problem is freezing trap but those tend to get played early and all you have to do is just not attack with your taunts. You can also proc traps with armorsmith/acolyte and if it's explosive then it's great for you. Hunters are super weak in the late-game which is where control warrior decimates them.

Raxus

The reason why control warrior is a hard counter is because you normally only have at most 1 or 2 minions on the board at a time which neutralizes the UTH buzzard combo. The only problem is freezing trap but those tend to get played early and all you have to do is just not attack with your taunts. You can also proc traps with armorsmith/acolyte and if it's explosive then it's great for you. Hunters are super weak in the late-game which is where control warrior decimates them.

Not to mention their new weapon is aces to beat them. Destroys almost every minion they have to throw at you. On top of that most hunters don't have an effective way to counter unstable ghouls on turns they would normally Buzzard/UTH.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm not sure if I like the idea of the mill counting as destroyed over death. On one end, mill decks are rare, and even then, it's rough to actually mill. Out of all of the times I've played a mill deck, maybe half of them were able to actually pull it off. So maybe it's a benefit to those type of decks. On the other hand, it just kind of sucks that it can completely negate / cancel out other cards and effects. I suppose silence does the same thing, but you still get the body at the end of it.

Though now I'm curious if a mill kill will stop Kel'Thuzad from resurrecting that minion, and from the sound of the tweet, it's probably yes.

It's only cards that are in play that get destroyed and trigger death rattles when returned to a full hand. A mill (afaik) normally is a card from the library (not yet drawn) being discarded. Those cards being destroyed which were never in play would not qualify to met Thaddius' condition or trigger any death rattle effects, both require the card to be in play to trigger.

You are not really milling someone when you return cards to their hand from play, you're destroying the cards. I guess it's a bit different from MtG since there's no max hand size except you have to discard to 7 cards at the end of your turn, so there's never a risk of losing a card instantly because it was returned to your hand like in Hearthstone. I still don't see sapping a creature dead as milling, but maybe I'll change my mind eventually.

Haunted

Trying to visualise this logic, if a minion gets killed, the card is removed/taken to the graveyard. KT resurrects it from there. A minion getting sapped into a full hand means the card is being ripped into pieces and cannot be returned into play.

Deathrattle triggering for sapped cards doesn't make sense to me. It's basically the minion getting destroyed vs the card getting destroyed (if that makes any sense).

Clearly, Blizzard sees that differently.

slayn

My experience (and I have played this match many... many... many times and from both sides) is that hunter just tends to put out too much damage and warrior can't react quickly enough. 2 dogs from unleash is enough card draw to carry them to the end where they leeroy unleash you out of the game.

It's not unwinable, but I absolutely consider control warrior v hunter to be in the hunter's favor. Only by swapping out cairne and sylvanas for 2x sunwalker did I see much success against legend ranked hunter players. I had to take them out again later though because it made my matchups against everyone else worse. And it seemed to be the reason Trump gave up on warrior for a while for top 16 legend and then asked the developer on value town how he was supposed to deal with highmanes.

ViviOggi

Wish I had tracked stats on my recent run to legend but from memory the CW vs Hunter matchup feels like 55-45 at best. Not really a hard counter if you ask me.

Haunted

Speaking of Mill decks, what class would be the best to build one? I am thinking Rogue for the Saps/Shadowstep Coldlights.
Coldlight(+Brewmaster), Dancing Swords and Mukla are the neutral mill cards.

Rogue has Sap/Vanish and the ability to shadowstep Coldlights
Druid has Naturalize

And there's always Lorewalker Cho. Day9 plays a funny Druid mill deck sometimes, but I think Rogue would be best suited, yeah.

I think rogue mill is not as viable as druid since druid can heal and taunt up better. If your goal is to run your opponent out of cards, you need to outlast still a large portion of their deck. Rogue just can't survive the way druid can.

Kind of a shameless plug, but my 17 year old cousin is doing a 24 hour stream for St. Judes charity - mostly WoW and Hearthstone.

If you want to watch or donate, he'd be thrilled.

How does Druid Mill pad out the rest of their deck besides Naturalize and the above mentioned neutral mill cards? Just big minions, taunts, and heals I'm guessing.

Minsc

Gold Member
Coldlight(+Brewmaster), Dancing Swords and Mukla are the neutral mill cards.

Rogue has Sap/Vanish and the ability to shadowstep Coldlights
Druid has Naturalize

And there's always Lorewalker Cho. Day9 plays a funny Druid mill deck sometimes, but I think Rogue would be best suited, yeah.

I saw that rogue Lorewalker Cho mill deck the other day, it was a bit scary the opening they had... Cho, coldlights (with shadow step), 2x deadly poison (which thanks to Cho clog up your opponents hand) all in the first couple turns... before the start of my 4th turn I was already losing quite a few cards from my deck.

Unfortunately for them a turn 5 doom hammer spelt pretty bad news when on turn 6 I used the two deadly poisons from Cho to make what was a 2/6 weapon in to a 6/6 weapon (with windfury) lol. It ended shortly after that, but I could have seen myself losing if I didn't have a weapon to play the deadly poisons with.

ShinNL

Rogue is good at hand clogging and doing damage.
Druid is good at forcing draws and preventing damage.

I've never killed an opponent by card draw with Rogue, only with damage (so it's basically a form of a tempo deck).

I've killed plenty people with just pure card draw with my mill Druid.

Leezard

Amaz vs Amaz hype!

db49ee9b62c7745ba99841b2bd0d0566.png

I get the feeling the match is fixed though; Amaz is gonna win.

Sadly, there are some echoes in the sound (Ysera enters the arena sound being played twice) and sync issues.

Zafir

Amaz vs Amaz hype!

I get the feeling the match is fixed though; Amaz is gonna win.

Yeah I had to laugh at that. The syncing is still way off too, sadly. xD I'm also confused who is even playing what deck. Swear forsen just said mind control was in Amaz's hand but the screen shows Amaz playing warrior. :I

Leezard

Amaz is the priest I think. I can't be completely sure, though. The image appears to feature Massan when the priest plays and Amaz when the warrior plays.

I think there's no reason for them to switch screens each time if the hands are shown... just stay on one side and stop fucking around with this stuff IMO. Or show both simultaneously in a split-screen format.

frequency

If there are always so many problems doing live tournaments, I wish they would just stop doing live tournaments.

Pre-record the matches, edit, and then do live commentary over it for streaming.

This also gets rid of long delays and stuff between matches during streams.

Thanks Haunted and Minsc, I think I understand the difference between a card getting destroyed and a minion going into death. Just have to wait and see what Blizzard says to follow up considering the last tweet that Mobius has.

Off topic, but if you have to many cards in Magic, do you get to choose which to discard at the end of your turn?

KingKiller

Neo Member
Thanks Haunted and Minsc, I think I understand the difference between a card getting destroyed and a minion going into death. Just have to wait and see what Blizzard says to follow up considering the last tweet that Mobius has.

Off topic, but if you have to many cards in Magic, do you get to choose which to discard at the end of your turn?

Yes.

imBask

Banned
The players in these tournament are doing them at home right? How do the organizers know they're not sniping?

stream delay does the job although hitbox only has like a 5 second delay

also I think many tournaments are pre-recorded and aired afterward on stream

Massaan all the way. I watch both maasaan and amaz daily pretty much. Usually massaan is on early and then when he gets off I switch to amaz. And despite amaz's tournament history I feel like massaan is a slightly stronger player. Of course that is not saying much since playing while streaming is not the same for everyone.

stream delay does the job although hitbox only has like a 5 second delay

also I think many tournaments are pre-recorded and aired afterward on stream

I'm pretty sure we're seeing games 10 minutes or more behind the actual game.

how long is this tournament?

No idea. Yesterday they did 4 sets of best of 5. So 4 people moved on. 1 person has been eliminated today. So probably just 2 more sets, one more semi-final, one final. Maybe the finals are best of 7, not sure.

Hoping trump wins so the finals are massan vs trump.

Zafir

Massan is probably the only big streamer I've never watched. It just so happens he always streams during the times I never watch twitch. So it's kind of interesting seeing him in a tournament.

Oscar

My experience (and I have played this match many... many... many times and from both sides) is that hunter just tends to put out too much damage and warrior can't react quickly enough. 2 dogs from unleash is enough card draw to carry them to the end where they leeroy unleash you out of the game.

It's not unwinable, but I absolutely consider control warrior v hunter to be in the hunter's favor. Only by swapping out cairne and sylvanas for 2x sunwalker did I see much success against legend ranked hunter players. I had to take them out again later though because it made my matchups against everyone else worse. And it seemed to be the reason Trump gave up on warrior for a while for top 16 legend and then asked the developer on value town how he was supposed to deal with highmanes.
I've been playing CW since closed beta and have been climbing pretty quickly in this current Hunter heavy meta.

I'd be interested in seeing your deck. I'm posting via mobile atm but I'll definitely share mine in a bit if you're interested. Currently at rank 5 but I have only been climbing a few hours a night while watching Boardwalk Empire.

As for the Highmanes, they aren't that hard to deal with if you plan ahead. Shield Slam, Whirlwind/Slam/Death's Bite WW/Cruel Task all can trigger an Execute without having to trade. I even run a Spellbreaker in my deck that has been dealing with em lately.

My win rate against hunters this season as CW is probably 80% at least. I either win in devastating fashion, or lose in clutch turns where we both have lethal.

slayn

I've been playing CW since closed beta and have been climbing pretty quickly in this current Hunter heavy meta.

I'd be interested in seeing your deck. I'm posting via mobile atm but I'll definitely share mine in a bit if you're interested. Currently at rank 5 but I have only been climbing a few hours a night while watching Boardwalk Empire.

As for the Highmanes, they aren't that hard to deal with if you plan ahead. Shield Slam, Whirlwind/Slam/Death's Bite WW/Cruel Task all can trigger an Execute without having to trade. I even run a Spellbreaker in my deck that has been dealing with em lately.

My win rate against hunters this season as CW is probably 80% at least. I either win in devastating fashion, or lose in clutch turns where we both have lethal.
I don't have a set list as I constantly change it. I run 0 whirlwinds ever since death's bite. Sometimes I run 1 slam or 0. Sometimes I run sunwalkers or Thaddius. I've played around with shade of naxx, frothing berserkers, and korkrons. And I'm hurt by the fact that I don't own harrison jones for sure. It could be that card would get my hunter matchup closer to a 50/50.

Despite my bitching earlier in the thread about grinding to legend naxx cards revitalized my interest in playing a lot and I'm currently around legend 300.

Like I said I change the deck every day but it would look something like this currently:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...:1;7749:2;498:1;33:1;539:1;503:1;303:1;215:1;

I stole the idea of tinkmaster from Trump which actually helped a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom