• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I got a job at blizzard the first thing I would do would be to delete everything to do with priests in hearthstone and categorically deny that they ever existed

Lyng

Surely you mean Druid.

image.php

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Blizz despises Kripp

frequency

Realz is very knowledgeable about the game and often speaks very intelligently about balance on his stream.

Kripp whines about his opponents having the perfect draws or whatever. If he was trying to impress Blizzard and get hired he's not doing a very good job at it.

Minsc

Gold Member
The big question is whether or not Realz brings us any closer to having more than 9 damn deck slots. I mean how hard is it to have this:

Pick class on the left half of the screen (sort of like it is now, except it'd just be every class displayed) > See a list on the right hand side of up to 9 decks for that class (exactly like in the "My Collection" screen).

I don't even care if they have to make it an option. Leave it the way it is now, and under options have a box to tick to allow for advanced deck selection and creation, which unlocks the above UI allowing for 81 decks to be saved. Then everyone is happy, and the people who don't care about it have it exactly the way it is now.

Special C

The big question is whether or not Realz brings us any closer to having more than 9 damn deck slots. I mean how hard is it to have this:

Pick class on the left half of the screen (sort of like it is now, except it'd just be every class displayed) > See a list on the right hand side of up to 9 decks for that class (exactly like in the "My Collection" screen).

I don't even care if they have to make it an option. Leave it the way it is now, and under options have a box to tick to allow for advanced deck selection and creation, which unlocks the above UI allowing for 81 decks to be saved. Then everyone is happy, and the people who don't care about it have it exactly the way it is now.

I imagine we'll have deck slots soon. And they will cost gold and/or real money.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I actually sympathize with blizzard's desire to hold onto the 9 deck slots. They have a lot of good reasons for it in their interviews and such. But I think the solution is to charge gold for additional deck slots.

Not really because its fair or whatever to charge for something like that but because it forces a kind of thought out 'opt in' from the player to choose to clutter their ui to increase functionality.

Tacitus_

Charging for deck slots would be pretty terrible. Unless they were like 50g a slot or something.

Would be completely fine. You trade money or time(gold) so you can have a better experience. It's like selling bank slots or something in a F2P MMO.

Minsc

Gold Member
I actually sympathize with blizzard's desire to hold onto the 9 deck slots. They have a lot of good reasons for it in their interviews and such. But I think the solution is to charge gold for additional deck slots.

Not really because its fair or whatever to charge for something like that but because it forces a kind of thought out 'opt in' from the player to choose to clutter their ui to increase functionality.

Wasn't their reason essentially because the players are too dumb (will get overwhelmed) if they had more than 9 slots. I see that mentioned again and again in threads.

I don't think limiting to 9 encourages diversity or anything like that either. I just have 1 slot for each class now, and if I had 5 or 6 for each class, I'd be able to have a lot more variety, now I just run whatever deck is the strongest in the meta for that class, instead of any fun decks additional slots could provide.

I think it's gotten to the point a few of the more popular streamers have complained about it too, and it will only get worse as time goes on and more cards and new abilities to make decks around are added.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Everything about the UI in hearhstone started from a desire to make everything feel like a physical thing you are interacting with. That was why they created the 'box' main menu thing. Why they made the interactable arenas and such. And choosing your deck to play with is like this large physical thing in your hearthstone box. They didn't want to have hierarchical/abstract menus.

In addition, hearthstone wants to be friendly towards casual players who have never played a card game before. That means every screen, including the options, needs to be as simple and sleek as possible.

I also think everyone now familiar with hearthstone or cards games in general underestimates how overwhelming and terrifying it is to make a deck for the first time. Hence the auto-suggestion thing and when you make your first deck and go into play mode there shouldn't really be anything going on in the UI except for your deck sitting shiny in your box.

I guess charging gold for more slots also just makes sense to me after paying for stash tabs in path of exile.

Minsc

Gold Member
Everything about the UI in hearhstone started from a desire to make everything feel like a physical thing you are interacting with. That was why they created the 'box' main menu thing. Why they made the interactable arenas and such. And choosing your deck to play with is like this large physical thing in your hearthstone box. They didn't want to have hierarchical/abstract menus.

In addition, hearthstone wants to be friendly towards casual players who have never played a card game before. That means every screen, including the options, needs to be as simple and sleek as possible.

I also think everyone now familiar with hearthstone or cards games in general underestimates how overwhelming and terrifying it is to make a deck for the first time. Hence the auto-suggestion thing and when you make your first deck and go into play mode there shouldn't really be anything going on in the UI except for your deck sitting shiny in your box.

I guess charging gold for more slots also just makes sense to me after paying for stash tabs in path of exile.

This is what enabling advanced modes in option menus are for. Imagine if you had to play WOW or Diablo 3 without being able to toggle a single thing in the options menus, it would be awful.

Diablo 3 without the ability to pick whatever powers you want for whatever hotkeys, etc (normally the powers aren't swappable and you're stuck with actions from certain groupings). You could argue that stuff is complex too, but they included the ability to enhance the game for people looking for it by changing settings in the options.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

You could absolutely do that with more deck slots. Make a "chest" for each class. You click on the chest, it opens, and you see several stacks of cards that are labeled for each deck. You don't need trees or abstract menus to do more than 9 deck slots.

Wasn't their reason essentially because the players are too dumb (will get overwhelmed) if they had more than 9 slots. I see that mentioned again and again in threads.

I don't think limiting to 9 encourages diversity or anything like that either. I just have 1 slot for each class now, and if I had 5 or 6 for each class, I'd be able to have a lot more variety, now I just run whatever deck is the strongest in the meta for that class, instead of any fun decks additional slots could provide.

I think it's gotten to the point a few of the more popular streamers have complained about it too, and it will only get worse as time goes on and more cards and new abilities to make decks around are added.

This is quite honestly the distorted view people have come to repeat over and over.

They basically gave 3 reasons:

They think the average person will never delete old decks and will just lose old decks among the clutter of too many decks.

So they chose to limit it based on the above, the second reason for 9 is because it fit the UI very well, like the physicality slayn mentioned.

The third reason you hinted is that they found it encouraged more creativity.

Maybe I'm misrepresenting the last reason a little bit as I don't recall it clearly. But I don't think they said anything about a player's intelligence level or ability to manage more than 9 slots. The analogy they gave was that when you have unlimited save slots players are tempted to make a new save slot every time they save (I do lol, in fallout especially and in many games with the choice given) so that eventually you'll have like a couple hundred save slots but you really only use 2-3 anyway.

I think they will add more slots in the future because they do recognize there is a part of the player base that would actually benefit from them (I would).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You seriously don't have to have a million deck slots. Even 3 per class would be a huge step up.

Brakara

3 deck slots - $1.99

As long as there's a gold option as well, I'm fine with that. Basically, opt in to make the UI more complex. Maybe even have a level cap as well (all classes 20+) if they don't want new players getting them.

Anything really, as long as we can get more deck slots.

Isn't it the opposite? If I have a deck for a class that's good in the current meta, I'm sure as hell not going to delete it in order to experiment with something else.

I mean through their own experience and experiments they found that it lead to more creativity. I could have stated that last reason wrong though.

As long as there's a gold option as well, I'm fine with that. Basically, opt in to make the UI more complex. Maybe even have a level cap as well (all classes 20+) if they don't want new players getting them.

Anything really, as long as we can get more deck slots.

This is the type of micro-transaction that I am okay with them putting cash only because it is pure convenience.

The salt is real. Why do you hate priests so much? Hunter player?

What? How does Priest counter Hunter? I facestomp Priests as Hunters. Hunter cards are the least useful to Priests out of any class because of the synergy required. Mind Vision or Thoughtsteal? I don't really care what they get in my deck, cause its value won't be as good in his deck as it is in mine.

Sometimes I reflect to myself, it is such a good thing they don't have chat. Cause I just beat a miracle rogue who got his turn 6 auctioneer conceal, coldbloood blah blah, combo, and I would have loved to just be like, "haha you miracle rogue shit eating douchebag, I just took your dream and cut your throat with it!".

zoukka

Heh facing these new midrange priests with handlock is pretty funny.

Facing a secret hunter... not so much. One freezing trap is usually enough to kill any handlock builds.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The best kind of fun is when you're having all the fun and your opponent isn't having any.

Special C

If you get a single card as an arena award is it guaranteed to be one you don’t already have 2 of? It's been that way for me the past few times. Or am I just getting lucky?

Raxus

So this is the Warrior deck I'm running right now. I'm kind of looking at what I need to craft next for it, because right now I'm filling in gaps for the late game legendaries I don't have. Should I prioritize Hellscream, Ysera, or Alexstraza?

Hellscream IMO.

Big, beefy, multiple ways to activate him turn 8 now, and most importantly a charger to keep field control.

Ysera and Alexstraza are great but Ysera is slow as shit and RNG depended to a degree, Alex sets up the win but you need the push like Hellscream to seal the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom