• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

egruntz

shelaughz
If I stopped playing right before Naxx came out, what's the most efficient way for me to get caught up? I'm guessing doing all of Naxx is worth it for the cards? Are there any good summaries of the new cards and how they've affected the meta so far?

Don't skip Naxx.
Too many vital cards in that "expansion."
After you get all those cards, just play arena and get the GvG reward packs. You'll catch up pretty soon.

The thing about GvG cards, save certain legendaries, is that most of them aren't playable without having some sort of mech synergy. So if it's going to be a GvG deck, it's really going to be a GvG deck. At least that's what I've noticed anyway.

Loatheb
Sludge Belcher
Haunted Creeper
Undertaker
Webspinner

Those are in my control hunter deck, all from Naxx.

Steamwheedle Sniper
Feign Death

Those are in the same deck, from GvG.
The rest are from the classic packs I'm pretty sure.

Still gotta craft my golden Sludge and Loatheb... Someday... Someday...

I don't know how accurate it is to say it's silly people only play one class if they have a golden portrait. I mostly play Shaman because it was the class I felt I had the strongest cards in from when I started, but I play everything except Warrior and Paladin mainly, as I'm missing the class legendaries for those two.

Still, I have 300+ ranked wins on my Shaman, and I only play at most a couple of ranked games a day. It's inevitable that in another 6-12 months (or a little longer), basically everyone will have golden portraits without even trying for them, because even I will have them and I don't play all that much.

People stick to a couple classes because they tend to have the best set of epic/legendaries for a couple classes I think, and the golden portraits just come on their own naturally.

Yeah, I know I played Warrior because it was the class that I liked the most when I first started playing Hearthstone. In the beginning, I played enrage decks because I didn't have the cards for Control Warrior even though Grommash was one of the first legendaries I got. I continued to play Warrior because it remained by far my favorite class and it was the one I did the best with (especially after I got the cards for control). Happy to say I didn't farm newbs to get my Golden Warrior. :)

Would love to get a Golden Rogue but Rogue seems to be in a really weak spot so I'm thinking about trying to go for a golden Hunter or Priest since I have over 100 wins a piece between those two classes.

Haunted

good old 1-3 arena run

ouwJr3s.jpg
I want that Iron Juggernaut so bad.

Dr. Boom, Shredder, Shredder, Troggzor, Voljin, Juggernaut... lots of good legendaries in this pack.

All I got for christmas was a Malorne. ;_; Which is simply too slow to play in my Druid deck.

Special C

I've been playing arena exclusively since GvG came out but I had to play some constructed today for a quest. Played vanilla zoo with no GvG and won all 6 of my games. Granted this is at lower ranks bit still....

Keasar

Fuck.
This.
Bullshit.

How was a goddamn player with Legend-rank cardbback a "worthy opponent"? And in Arena of all goddamn places?

Fuck you blizzard and your shitty matchmaking.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I've been playing arena exclusively since GvG came out but I had to play some constructed today for a quest. Played vanilla zoo with no GvG and won all 6 of my games. Granted this is at lower ranks bit still....

pretty big deal TBH. Especially this late in the month.

Fuck.
This.
Bullshit.

How was a goddamn player with Legend-rank cardbback a "worthy opponent"? And in Arena of all goddamn places?

huh? arena is the one place where that matchup IS even. Think you may be confused on how matchmaking is supposed to work.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fuck.
This.
Bullshit.

Arena goes by number of wins in the current run. Any of your ranks or MMR in constructed don't matter.

johnsmith

remember me
Fuck.
This.
Bullshit.

I have a legend card back. 2 of my last 3 arena backs ended at 3-3 and 2-3 so you shouldn't let that intimidate you in arena. They could have easily gotten screwed in arena.

Quixzlizx

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to read up on what all the new cards do and get slaughtered for awhile. Not like I was any good when I was up to speed, lol.

I just have an aversion to playing mana curve aggro decks. I can't bring myself to play face hunter or ramp druid even though they're probably good for someone like me who doesn't have any good legendaries or a complete set of commons, even. Just seems so autopilot.

Keasar

He was loads better than me and I had been fighting already tooth and nail to just get 2 wins against opponents who at least I seemed like a bit of a challenge to for once.

Then he rolled in, roflestomped me and moved on. Should have just conceded and denied him the pleasure of grinding my face in the dirt.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Fuck.
This.
Bullshit.

If it makes you feel better I ran into two legendary players at Rank 12 in ranked and then several more in casual, the latter of which were almost all handlocks while I was trying to play a zoolock to finish off a daily.

caesar

Banned
He was loads better than me and I had been fighting already tooth and nail to just get 2 wins against opponents who at least I seemed like a bit of a challenge to for once.

Then he rolled in, roflestomped me and moved on. Should have just conceded and denied him the pleasure of grinding my face in the dirt.

Are you on eu?

I am with you. I have posted before and feel they should bring some form of matchmaking beyond overall wins to arena.

Vitanimus

I'm getting pretty frustrated with how often I am getting completely steam rolled :( with every match, regardless of deck, I either:

• start topdecking/running out of cards
  • opponent completely wipes my board
  • opponent establishes too much of an early lead for me to ever catch up

I'm still super new to the game and haven't gotten all the cards, but winning seems like an increasing rarity

Raxus

I'm getting pretty frustrated with how often I am getting completely steam rolled :( with every match, regardless of deck, I either:

I'm still super new to the game and haven't gotten all the cards, but winning seems like an increasing rarity

Sounds like you are having trouble with tempo. Look into cards that trade favorably or draw out big plays. Yeti, Ogre, Sludge Belcher are all great for this and are free or really cheap to get.

Put in more card draw. Each class has some that work better than others.

Learn all the classes big spells/creatures. Like you shouldn't load the board up with 2 health creatures on turn 6 vs mages or 4 health minions on turn 7. Obviously the meta has changed so you might not even see those spells anymore.

embalm

This happened to me a lot when I first started and my biggest problem was not planning for the early game enough. Make sure you aren't skipping over 1s and 2s that can trade into other 1s and 2s. If you do you'll be dead before turn 5, even if you don't blow up until turn 15.

Every deck will vary, but for just starting out here is a guideline that helped me get off the ground. You can skip 1 cost minions, but I recommend 2 to 4. You should have 4 to 8, 2 cost minions. You can play 4 to 8, 3 cost minions. Don't go over 5 minions that cost 5+.
Don't build decks that require combos of 9+ mana. Don't build decks that require 3 card combos unless you have 4+ ways to draw cards. If you still want to build a deck with lots of combos in it, make sure you have 5+ cards that a card can combo with. (A good example of this is the priest card Circle of Healing, which heals all minions for 4 health, they run Auchani Soulpriest to make it a board clear, Injured Blade Master to make it a turn 3, 4/7, and Northshire Cleric that draws cards from any healed minion, that is 6 cards to make good use of a combo)

Vitanimus

thanks for all the posts :) my main gripe has been the shaman class and how to utilize the totems because at the moment they seem extremely dead weight and situational, or at least for the cards I have available at the moment, rarely worth the 2 mana.

Quixzlizx

thanks for all the posts :) my main gripe has been the shaman class and how to utilize the totems because at the moment they seem extremely dead weight and situational, or at least for the cards I have available at the moment, rarely worth the 2 mana.

Most of the time you shouldn't be using your class power unless you have mana to spare. If you're using your class power too often, it means you need to tune your mana curve, although there are exceptions like a zoolock who intentionally tries to empty his hand as soon as possible.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Try watching these, as they'll even give you decks to use with zero non-free cards (and even zero unlocked cards) while covering the fundamentals of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvEIxIeBRKSjprrvlbAcbVjzHsnH9PjDX

ZealousD

Shaman hero power is arguably one of the stronger ones. Spell power totem can be scary for your opponent because it works so well with shaman spells like lightning bolt, earth shock, and lightning storm. Taunt totem can be seriously clutch in certain situations. Plus they are great targets for flametongue totem. But like most hero powers, you generally only pop them when you have the free mana.

Minsc

Gold Member

Really, there's not much to it, if the board is empty on their side, or they don't have 3 points of damage, you play Mana Tide Totem and potentially enjoy your easy ride to a win (if it stays on the board for more than 2 turns, they basically lost). If you have totems on the board, you play Flametongue Totem between them and trade (ideally you'd have an egg on the board instead of a totem though, and can build the 0/2 up to a 5/2 if need be with an added rockbiter weapon, great for taking down some of the taunt minions). If you have a spell power totem, you lightning bolt or spark their expensive minions for 1-2 mana and continue building your board.

That's about it. Oh if you have all the totems, you use bloodlust and hopefully win.

Vitanimus

oooh, I was (somehow) under the impression that if I wasn't using shaman's ability at every sensible opportunity I was downplaying their strengths, so I guess I just need to be aware of more synergy.

I also got a legendary in my last pack *.*

borghe

oooh, I was (somehow) under the impression that if I wasn't using shaman's ability at every sensible opportunity I was downplaying their strengths, so I guess I just need to be aware of more synergy.

I also got a legendary in my last pack *.*

no.. aside from warrior and warlock, each class' ability is utility "as needed", not an "every possible opportunity". Even warrior and warlock aren't hard/fast rules.. just that as those two classes you use their abilities typically way more than all other classes.

I'd say

Used a LOT
Warrior
Warlock

Used Frequently
Mage
Priest

Used As Needed
Shaman
Hunter
Rogue (actually probably somewhere between 'As Needed' and 'Frequently')

Used because you have mana left over
Paladin
Druid

garath

Trump's teachings have helped me quite a bit. I've built a couple of better "newbie" decks and I control the board a LOT better than I was though I still get stomped 2 out of 3 times in casual play.

I'd trudging through leveling all heroes to 10 right now. It's almost funny how near impossible it is to win most of the time. The opponents deck is just that much more superior to the starter deck. The only starter deck I've actually had a lot of success with is the warlock. Probably because of his built in card draw. I usually lose my starter deck games because I've run out of cards in my hand.

Was very satisfying today to win 2 games with him in a row and complete 3 quests and the 10 gold 3 wins in the same game haha. Fast 130 gold there.

I may have to stick with the Warlock initially just because of that counter balance to having weaker cards.

Keasar

I honestly don't see the point of Arena. Its all completely random luck and unless you are lucky with the drafts it feels like its a comlete waste of gold. Out of 6 tries so far i have managed to get one above 2 wins which became 4 wins until I got completely rolled over. Rest have been 0 or 1 wins.

And the boosters have been pretty crappy as well as extra salt in the wound.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Arena tends to be a lot about board control so if you're not doing that efficiently (and drafting toward that end) it's going to be a lot harder.

These days you also want to draft much more on the low end (2-3) than the high end because the early game value minions can be really punishing if you lose control.

Keasar

Seems so, also, I have noticed that it seems to go extremely well when playing Warlock. His spells are just all round too awesome no matter the situation.

Edit: nope, nevermind, back to rng.

Edit 2: and another wasted 150 gold on a 1-3 lost arena.

Is there some bug where if you dismiss a quest you always get it back the next day? I have dismissed the same quest and had it reappear the next day four times in a row now. If it's not a bug, those are some crazy odds right there.

johnsmith

remember me
I honestly don't see the point of Arena. Its all completely random luck and unless you are lucky with the drafts it feels like its a comlete waste of gold. Out of 6 tries so far i have managed to get one above 2 wins which became 4 wins until I got completely rolled over. Rest have been 0 or 1 wins.

If you aren't good at it, it's a waste. But if you are good it's definitely worth it as you can end up getting free or heavily discounted packs. I was averaging 129 gold per win since gvg came out and this was over 50 runs, so not just getting lucky on a few drafts. Obviously there's some luck involved, but skill also plays a huge part.

Watch some good streamers and use tier lists to help your drafting.
http://www.twitch.tv/adwcta
http://www.heartharena.com/tierlist

borghe

you sound like a new player.. that also could explain why arena seems pointless to you.

as you play ranked a lot (and even get great at ranked) you will learn to come to get annoyed/bored with meta at best.. and possibly hate/despise meta at worst. That's where arena comes in.. there really is no meta on arena. sure there are some classes that work much better in arena.. and you'll always have those matches where one deck vastly outranks another.. but at the very least it is often a very different run every time. which is NOT the case with ranked where it very quickly becomes the same match every. single. time.

a big part of arena is like many are saying, learning to draft. learning what neutrals and what spells work best with each class for arena, and really knowing what to look for while drafting. even with being a pro at that.. sometimes there are just bad drafts and not much you can do about it. but still, I think most feel that a bad arena draft/run is still more fun than seeing the 5000th UT hunter deck.

JoeMartin

no.. aside from warrior and warlock, each class' ability is utility "as needed", not an "every possible opportunity". Even warrior and warlock aren't hard/fast rules.. just that as those two classes you use their abilities typically way more than all other classes.

I'd say

Used a LOT
Warrior
Warlock

Used Frequently
Mage
Priest

Used As Needed
Shaman
Hunter
Rogue (actually probably somewhere between 'As Needed' and 'Frequently')

Used because you have mana left over
Paladin
Druid

Literally every hero power falls into the "used as needed" category, excepting Jaraxxus whom will use it nearly every turn without exception.

ZealousD

Arena isn't random luck. I never go below 2 wins and I average about 6 wins per run. New players often make mistakes without realizing it, the fact that you can't see your opponent's hand makes it harder to see your own mistakes. As a new player you can make assumptions about how the game is played that can be horribly wrong.

Also Warlock is one of the worst classes in arena. Stop picking it. Mage and Paladin are the best.

Minsc

Gold Member

I'm getting rusty if I don't get this to 12 wins. Not shown: Blizzard, Flamestrike x3.

Yeah, they really don't expect the fourth AoE, ever. So scummy. One loss was totally a slip up, I should be 11-1 right now.

Needless to say, Mages don't require finishers to go out 12 wins. I don't have a single minion stronger than 5/5, and everything else is like 4-something or less. Most games have been fairly easy too. Get board control, AoE, AoE, AoE, win. Repeat.

spoon!

Drafted muster and cult master in arena and caught them both in my starting hand. Turn 3 I had the three silver hands from muster, that 1/4 weapon you get, and an argent squire. His board was empty. He drops a tazdingo on turn 4. I laugh manically as I play cult master. Dat card draw o/

Hylian7

So late last night, a couple of us from ArmaGAF/DayZGAF found out that J-Rock and I both play Hearthstone. J-Rock has played since beta and I have played for a week, so you can imagine I consistently got my ass handed to me.

However there was this special moment from one of the matches...Hearthstone - ....WHAT?!: http://youtu.be/GUtVwLBrUuU

Got really lucky against this Handlock. He traded one of his minions for my Loot Hoarder, then hit face with his board leaving the Piloted Shredder and ended his turn by playing a 10 mana Molten Giant. When the Loot Hoarder died, I pulled Sharpsword Oil, I already had the Coin, Deadly Poison, the other Sharpsword Oil, and then this happens:

G3TOFWjl.jpg

I top dick Blade Flurry. That's a board wipe plus 21 damage to face for 11 mana and lethal +1. Should've killed that Piloted Shredder when you had the chance.

ZealousD

I'm playing Shaman vs Shaman in the arena. I Recombobulate a 6/1 Fire Elemental into an... Anima Golem.

My Opponent says "Sorry that happened."

The Anima Golem stays in place for three turns, hitting him in the face all three times.

I end the game saying "Sorry that happened."

My frustration is at extreme levels right now. I really want to hit legend but I can never get there without going on a losing streak after gaining a couple of stars. Cannot escape the 4-6 rank territory.

I'll get there. I know I can do it but I recognize I can get a bit reckless at times.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Fuck.
This.
Bullshit.

Stop playing. This game is obviously not for you (because you're going to stroke out getting this angry).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom