• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I greet you.

All the pleasure is mine. All of it.
Greetings. Well, I guess I should show you guys a deck of mine.
Behold my murloc deck.
a8DSQzK.jpg
4abUooh.jpg

Decided to spend some money on Hearhtstone for the 2nd time ever.

Accidentally bought the old cards.

Shit.

Bought GnG cards as well. Some Epics, some Golds, but nothing special.

So it goes.

I did the same thing last week. I felt like an idiot. I wasn't paying attention. They should really make the default GvG cards. At least I got a gold Onyxia and a lot of dust out of it, I guess.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Greetings. Well, I guess I should show you guys a deck of mine.
Behold my murloc deck.

You have a LOT of cards where you have only one copy in your deck. You generally want to avoid that because it makes your deck less consistent. When creating a deck, you generally want to have a game plan in mind.

Also murlocs are generally extremely weak cards on their own. They have to get synergy with cards like Murloc Warleader to be strong, and none of those good synergy cards are in the basic set you get for free.

If you are looking for a solid aggressive warlock deck, lookup "zoo" warlock. Its a relatively cheap warlock deck that is very effective.

I did the same thing last week. I felt like an idiot. I wasn't paying attention. They should really make the default GvG cards. At least I got a gold Onyxia and a lot of dust out of it, I guess.

How the fuck is this still happening for people? There have been PSAs and detailed instructions on how to buy GvG packs.

Collaborate with me hsGAF.

I am trying to make a midrange rogue that is strong vs aggro, especially aggro mage, but can win through the might of rogue weapons and the ability to create card advantage through fan of knives, prep, sprint.

Vs aggro the goal is to rely on deadly poison, zombie chow, autobarber, fan of knives, blade flurry, si7 agent, and shadowstep to get multiple uses out of battlecries such as farseer and healbot to allow me to push out of burn range. Anubar ambusher is another surprisingly useful tool against aggro. This can also serve to get me multiple uses out of battlecries, although more useful against control since repaying for a minion against aggro is often not useful.

Vs control I can create a card advantage from high value cards like deadly poison and sprint, and ultimately use assassin's blade + tinker's sharpsword oil + blade flurry for an insane amount of burst damage. Assuming assassin's blade is up, and a 3 attack minion is on board - that is (3 + 3)x2 + (3 + 3) = 18 damage from 6 mana. Anubar ambusher is surprisingly useful against control/midrange decks due to trading up with a lot of minions.

This is what is noticeably missing:
Backstab - just too difficult to get use out of this card against control. Even though it is quite good against aggro, I am finding it quite situational since a lot of the minions being used lately are 3hp or 1hp. Weak vs 3 hp, fan of knives cleans up 1 hp very nicely. Also 2x blade flurry kind of makes eats up 2 cards, but is way more effective than backstab which also tends to need to be combo'd but only kills one minion.

1 zombie chow - I cut the second one for loatheb. Not sure if it is worth running Loatheb currently.

sludge belcher - Not sure if it is worth running this in this deck. Obviously really good against aggro. Very mediocre vs control. More or less a liability for priest.

eviscerate - Cutting this cause I think it is just too difficult to use early in the game, especially without backstab. Also cuts against the heavy aoe removal focus the deck is. Really bad when combo'd with preparation.

shiv - Trying double fan of knives first. I might cut a fan of knives for a shiv since shiv is particularly good in some situations, especially on turn 5 when combo'd with si7 agent.

mid_anti_aggro.png

Please give me your thoughts.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
You have a LOT of cards where you have only one copy in your deck. You generally want to avoid that because it makes your deck less consistent. When creating a deck, you generally want to have a game plan in mind.

Also murlocs are generally extremely weak cards on their own. They have to get synergy with cards like Murloc Warleader to be strong, and none of those good synergy cards are in the basic set you get for free.

If you are looking for a solid aggressive warlock deck, lookup "zoo" warlock. Its a relatively cheap warlock deck that is very effective.
Ok, so I started dusting some useless gold cards to make some more murloc cards. I have made a coldlight seer and still need 200 more to make a murloc warleader. In the meantime, I made a few adjustments to my deck and tested it.
Results:
Final thoughts: Still needs a lot more work.

zoukka

Drafted a 2-drop deck in arena. First and only -non 2 drop cards in my deck are my only draws in the first game...

And a second time in a row, get rolled by zombie chows and other fucking 1-2 drops...

FUCK THIS GAME

How the fuck is this still happening for people? There have been PSAs and detailed instructions on how to buy GvG packs.

It's not an issue of people not understanding how to do it, it's an issue of people not paying attention and going on auto-pilot. I bought the right ones before. Second time I just really wasn't paying attention apparently.

Preps are horrible without card draw engines.

I disagree, greatly. Prep is one of the best momentum swing cards rogue has available to them. I mulligan for it often since GVG now. Against aggro, it allows me to get the board very early on by freeing up mana from my clearing spells to drop a minion. Later I can recover from the card loss due to cards like sprint.

Also, there is a draw engine. Sprint. It really helps me thin out my deck and start a combo off. Perhaps it is just a... slightly better arcane intellect when you combo prep+sprint. But still very good. Thin your deck by two cards and net two cards. For only 4 mana. Also, one of the downsides of running sprint is that you can often find yourself having a difficult time using all those cards. Prep really helps you make use of sprint whether it is used before or after. I've had sprint into prep + finishers often.

Arcane intellect by comparison only gets you half that affect for 3 mana. The upside is it only requires 1 card to start.

Preparation is actually one of the best cards for which rogues can do degenerate things with. It is basically a stronger innervate that you use for spells only. After playing it in several decks post gvg, I do think it is one of the best things rogue has going for it. At one point in HS I couldn't give up backstabs even though I didn't like them, especially with undertaker in the game. But now I don't feel like I can give up preparation, and I love the card now.

zoukka

Well prep might be good in those rare occasions where you only win by tempo, but it's bad value and I would never play them outside miracle/mill rogues.

Well prep might be good in those rare occasions where you only win by tempo, but it's bad value and I would never play them outside miracle/mill rogues.

I don't understand your perspective of this card. Maybe pre-gvg I would have agreed with you, but since using it in post-gvg I don't even understand my hang ups about the card before.

If I can prep out an aoe board clear and get board, it is not only being used for tempo but also for value. If I prep+sprint vs a control warrior when I have board, even on turn 4 doing nothing else, it is putting me so far ahead it isn't even funny. That isn't a tempo gain, but a card advantage gain for only 4 mana... like arcane intellect. Low tempo, high value.

edit:
Also lemme ask you this, what druid deck doesn't run innervate?

I'm far more likely to cut shadowstep than to cut prep if there is a low value card needing removed.

johnsmith

remember me

Isn't ambusher awful? The deathrattle is just bad, even when it bounces a minion with a battlecry. I've only played it in arena and absolutely hated it every time I played it, and I always like when an opponent plays it because I get 2 for 1 removals. Also where is Van Cleef?

Isn't ambusher awful? The deathrattle is just bad, even when it bounces a minion with a battlecry. I've only played it in arena and absolutely hated it every time I played it, and I always like when an opponent plays it because I get 2 for 1 removals. Also where is Van Cleef?

The deathrattle in this deck is more of a benefit, such that most people usually kill minions out of order to avoid giving me the minion back. The benefit, imo, is real over yeti where I can take out sludge belchers, shieldmaidens, sylvanas, cairne, ancient of lore. I'm often surprised how much pressure 5 damage puts out from a 4 mana minion, whom still enjoys the benefits of 5 hp.

Granted, he isn't so good as to auto-include, but in this deck where basically every minion (except gallywix) can be bounced back for additional value, I can create situations where I do benefit. Mostly vs control but the big body is useful vs aggro as well imo.

It could end up being cut. This deck is still fairly untested and I won't be able to test it til later tonight.

I'll have to think about van cleef. It is a decent idea even if all he does it eat silences all day every day.

edit:

Okay... gonna start testing. I'm actually going to try out van cleef in place of a second azure drake. It seems like it could work. I've even decided to try without loatheb for now, even though shadowstepping him is pretty good.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Agreed. They should have left Gadget alone. The Leeroy nerf was enough damage to the Rogue class. Now it's by far the weakest in the game.

There were probably some decks that were ridiculous with spare parts in Blizzard's internal testing I'm guessing. The thing about Rogue is that it's kind of built on combos, which means you need to really burn through your cards quickly to get the best out of the class. Which means you really need a card draw engine like Gadgetzan.

I think what they should have done is made it so that Gadgetzan could only draw you a certain number of cards, like through a life burn or something like that. Make it a 4/5 that loses 1 hp for each card you draw, or something like that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They didn't want to design every new set with "How can we avoid this shit being abused with Gadgetzan" in mind. I think the reason for the nerf is as simple as that.

It's impact on Rogues was just collateral damage.

Honestly this game is going to be a nightmare to design and balance for a year or two down the road without set rotations. As money-grubbing as MTG's Standard format is, it helped keep things manageable, and for the degenerates who enjoy playing two-player solitaire, there was always the Eternal formats.

I am loving this deck so far. Shadowstep is so far proving a useful addition. It allowed me to heal up for 6 via ERF and then drop an 8/8 van cleef which the aggro/mech rogue couldn't deal with. Next turn sword oil allowed me to hit 20 damage... although I had a 1/4 chance of that oil buff hitting the zombie chow I had to play to combo it. I think it was the right play and it paid off.

I wish I had preparation though, cause that card would have guaranteed the oil hitting the right minion and the mana I saved could have been used to play si7 agent for more damage if necessary.

I am loving this deck so far. Shadowstep is so far proving a useful addition. It allowed me to heal up for 6 via ERF and then drop an 8/8 van cleef which the aggro/mech rogue couldn't deal with. Next turn sword oil allowed me to hit 20 damage... although I had a 1/4 chance of that oil buff hitting the zombie chow I had to play to combo it. I think it was the right play and it paid off.

I wish I had preparation though, cause that card would have guaranteed the oil hitting the right minion and the mana I saved could have been used to play si7 agent for more damage if necessary.

How are the double assassins blades working out? I'm thinking about trying this but with another legendary like Dr Boom or Trogzor.

How are the double assassins blades working out? I'm thinking about trying this but with another legendary like Dr Boom or Trogzor.

Well, in 3 matches it is hard to tell. I've run it before and I can say that it really helps having a backup plan if you're forced to use your assassin's blade to control the board too much. A legendary like dr. boom could work as well. I don't have him yet so I can't say for sure what works.

Controlling the board with assassin's blade tends to really work out too since there is access to a lot of self healing via ERF and healbot + shadowstep and even potentially ambusher.

I just had perhaps an odd match where the hunter actually didn't have a big start, and when he finally built up a board I was already prepared to blade flurry and I got 12 damage off of that. He got a lorewalker cho out of his piloted shredder which led to some hilarity where his animal companion got him a taunt he desperately needed (he was at 3hp) but then gave me an animal companion that got me leokk, that gave him another animal companion that got him huffer, then I got a huffer (although I already had lethal off sword oil), and I also had shadowstep in hand so I was about to BM him but he conceded. Fun match though. I was at a safe 30hp while that animal companion hilarity was going on.

I am trying to make a midrange rogue that is strong vs aggro, especially aggro mage, but can win through the might of rogue weapons and the ability to create card advantage through fan of knives, prep, sprint.

Vs aggro the goal is to rely on deadly poison, zombie chow, autobarber, fan of knives, blade flurry, si7 agent, and shadowstep to get multiple uses out of battlecries such as farseer and healbot to allow me to push out of burn range. Anubar ambusher is another surprisingly useful tool against aggro. This can also serve to get me multiple uses out of battlecries, although more useful against control since repaying for a minion against aggro is often not useful.

Vs control I can create a card advantage from high value cards like deadly poison and sprint, and ultimately use assassin's blade + tinker's sharpsword oil + blade flurry for an insane amount of burst damage. Assuming assassin's blade is up, and a 3 attack minion is on board - that is (3 + 3)x2 + (3 + 3) = 18 damage from 6 mana. Anubar ambusher is surprisingly useful against control/midrange decks due to trading up with a lot of minions.

This is what is noticeably missing:
Backstab - just too difficult to get use out of this card against control. Even though it is quite good against aggro, I am finding it quite situational since a lot of the minions being used lately are 3hp or 1hp. Weak vs 3 hp, fan of knives cleans up 1 hp very nicely. Also 2x blade flurry kind of makes eats up 2 cards, but is way more effective than backstab which also tends to need to be combo'd but only kills one minion.

1 zombie chow - I cut the second one for loatheb. Not sure if it is worth running Loatheb currently.

sludge belcher - Not sure if it is worth running this in this deck. Obviously really good against aggro. Very mediocre vs control. More or less a liability for priest.

eviscerate - Cutting this cause I think it is just too difficult to use early in the game, especially without backstab. Also cuts against the heavy aoe removal focus the deck is. Really bad when combo'd with preparation.

shiv - Trying double fan of knives first. I might cut a fan of knives for a shiv since shiv is particularly good in some situations, especially on turn 5 when combo'd with si7 agent.

mid_anti_aggro.png

I've been playing this custom Rogue deck that's actually very similar to yours:

t52HN0pl.png

I have backstab to help keep aggro decks in line and it also helps to combo SI:7, cold blood and Sharpsword oil.

Tinkertown tech and mechanical yeti give decent mid-game board presence plus parts cards to trigger combos.

Control isn't too big of a problem because they're usually dead before they can really get going. The trick is to set up the big burst damage combo with cold bloods, sharpsword oil and assassin's blade.

If I have someone on the board ready to hit and an assassin blade equipped, next turn is usually a a big ass combo for 20 dmg they're not prepared for. If they manage to stay alive there's prep + sprint and healbots to keep you going.

Assassinates help keep the board clear especially of any big taunts that would stand in the way of your combo. With prep they're not too expensive.

Ogre Ninja is a big help for the big combo if you've been keeping their board clear. Gilbin Stalker is backup for the fatal combo and also good early against aggro since he can get his hit in without being cleared by soulfire, darkbomb or shadow bolted.

I've done a lot of tweaking and I'm pretty happy with it as is. Try it if you want something a little different but probably plays pretty similar to yours.

I've been playing this custom Rogue deck that's actually very similar to yours:

t52HN0pl.png

I have backstab to help keep aggro decks in line and it also helps to combo SI:7, cold blood and Sharpsword oil.

Tinkertown tech and mechanical yeti give decent mid-game board presence plus parts cards to trigger combos.

Control isn't too big of a problem because they're usually dead before they can really get going. The trick is to set up the big burst damage combo with cold bloods, sharpsword oil and assassin's blade.

If I have someone on the board ready to hit and an assassin blade equipped, next turn is usually a a big ass combo for 20 dmg they're not prepared for. If they manage to stay alive there's prep + sprint and healbots to keep you going.

Assassinates help keep the board clear especially of any big taunts that would stand in the way of your combo. With prep they're not too expensive.

Ogre Ninja is a big help for the big combo if you've been keeping their board clear. Gilbin Stalker is backup for the fatal combo and also good early against aggro since he can get his hit in without being cleared by soulfire, darkbomb or shadow bolted.

I've done a lot of tweaking and I'm pretty happy with it as is. Try it if you want something a little different but probably plays pretty similar to yours.

I've tried 2xprep + 2xsprint as my only draw before, but I didn't find it playing out consistently enough to my tastes. Granted, having double cold blood double sword oil is probably insanely strong.

With backstabs, have you found it working against aggro mage specifically?

Also, I am totally on board with trying ninja ogre. I am just kind of hesitant about adding that card because of the downside. I think it can work in rogue though cause of the blade flurry power removal turns. But since I am aiming more towards beating aggro with my choices, I can't guarantee ogre ninja doing what I need him to do.

Nadia just got wrecked by a pirate rogue that was rank 100 legend, and apparently has been as high as rank 18 legend.

Might have been this
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/147843-legit-pirate-weapon-rogue

Another rogue deck with 2x prep and no auctioneer. It's like prep was severely underrated prior to GVG and only ran in combination with auctioneer. Now that auctioneer has been nerfed, people are still finding prep to be worth including and especially in sprint decks.

One thing that did change with GVG is a couple more higher costing spells worth prepping out, which would be sabotage and swordoil both which benefit greatly when combo'd. Prepping sword oil with a minion on board... jesus that is a ton of damage.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Prep is a powerful card as long as you havea decent number of 3+ cost spells. Free mana is definitely worth a card: see innervate

Rockk

Another rogue deck with 2x prep and no auctioneer. It's like prep was severely underrated prior to GVG and only ran in combination with auctioneer. Now that auctioneer has been nerfed, people are still finding prep to be worth including and especially in sprint decks.

One thing that did change with GVG is a couple more higher costing spells worth prepping out, which would be sabotage and swordoil both which benefit greatly when combo'd. Prepping sword oil with a minion on board... jesus that is a ton of damage.

It's because Tinker's Sharpsword Oil was added. It wasn't worth it to include prep just to use it on deadly poison or a blade flurry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom