• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

And a third game in a row my 2-drop deck doesn't draw a 2-drop until turn 5... this is unreal. I have never witnessed such bad luck in this game ever. 0-3 with a great deck...

TheChaos0

Somebody must have placed a curse on me, because my arena win rate has gone to shit the last 4 runs. Nothing above 3.

Since GvG my average wins really tanked. Even with a great deck I often can't get above 3 wins. :D Need to play some Pally, I always get good result with Pally but I didn't get a chance to draft a Pally deck so far.

FeD.nL

Dark wispers + Soul of the forest > for some reason he flamestrikes > Who dares defile this ancient land > innervate > savage roar. 32 dmg to the face, felt good.

zoukka

I dunno guys... I enjoyed control warrior, but facing the on ladder now is just depressing. Belcher, Shieldmaiden, Shield Block, Armorsmith, Alextraza... sigh. No real control/combo strategies anymore only alleviates the issue.

I love this Shaman "Zoo" deck:

LFtYUGE.jpg

Just beat a Control Warrior. Had to deal over 55 damage to him to win due to all his damn armoring up and using Alexstraza on himself. He had Ragnaros up for 6 turns, but since I have so many little shit minions on the board and blew my Hex early on a Sludge Belcher I had no way to handle him. Ignoring the Ragnaros worked well enough in the end as I won with 16 life left.

Jeeves MVP by far.

had to do a druid daily and I didn't know what was good in the meta, so I tried a spare parts gadgetzan druid and it went nowhere, then tried to play the pre-GvG druid deck I had lying around which didn't do very well.

decided to just put in all the class essentials and the combo, then stuffed the rest of the deck with all the good legendaries I had, and now I'm on a 6-win streak.

P2W confirmed.

When is a good time to jump into ranked play?

Do you need to farm/buy cards for a long time to be competitive, or can an aggressive low budget deck work?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Anytime is a good time to jump into Ranked play. It's the only way you're going to get golden portraits, and you have to hit at least 20 each season to get the card back.

Best way to think about it is that your rank is irrelevant until you hit legend. Unless you're specifically grinding to get to legend there's really not much reason to pick casual over ranked.

IceMarker

When is a good time to jump into ranked play?

Do you need to farm/buy cards for a long time to be competitive, or can an aggressive low budget deck work?

That's basically Zoo sadly.

Unless you're specifically grinding to get to legend there's really not much reason to pick casual over ranked.

I'd say the only time to pick casual is if you're making a really goofy deck you're 90% sure you're going to lose stars with. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Anytime is a good time to jump into Ranked play. It's the only way you're going to get golden portraits, and you have to hit at least 20 each season to get the card back.

Best way to think about it is that your rank is irrelevant until you hit legend. Unless you're specifically grinding to get to legend there's really not much reason to pick casual over ranked.
If you get high enough with good decks then you're just going to start losing a bunch with bad decks finishing a daily if you don't have enough of the cards you need.

Interfectum

If you get high enough with good decks then you're just going to start losing a bunch with bad decks finishing a daily if you don't have enough of the cards you need.

I wish the dailies were more generic. I hate being forced to play a class I don't have proper decks for just to get 40 gold.

ZealousD

You have matchmaking in casual, so the same thing can happen there as well.

I wish the dailies were more generic. I hate being forced to play a class I don't have proper decks for just to get 40 gold.

I'm convinced that if quests weren't class specific, ranked would be less diverse with decks than it is NOW. Everybody would just play their best/favorite deck all the time. So a lot more hunters, a lot more zoo.

Celegus

Sometimes I wish there was a no-legendary matchmaking group. In my hundred or two packs I've opened, the only half-decent legendary I've gotten is Malygos. Even that has very limited use. Still nothing from GvG yet.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You have matchmaking in casual, so the same thing can happen there as well.

I'm convinced that if quests weren't class specific, ranked would be less diverse with decks than it is NOW. Everybody would just play their best/favorite deck all the time. So a lot more hunters, a lot more zoo.

You can, but I feel I run into a lot more people in the same boat in casual than in ranked.

The Adder

Banned
Man, mage spell decks are the worse. I have yet to find a perfect counter to their tactics, maybe a hunter with silence could work.

Been playing a Mage Mech deck. I've played a few spell mages and haven't had much problem. Mainly due to the combination of Duplicate and Ancient Healbot.

They take the bait every single time.

They don't have the gas to defend themselves AND inflict 62 damage.

I wonder how effective lil exorcist is against aggro mage. I guess a lot of people are running mech yeti, piloted shredder, and other low cost deathrattles still, might be worth a 1 of.

edit:
Oh wait, looks like we're back to UT hunter... cause UT totally balanced. lol

ZealousD

I wonder how effective lil exorcist is against aggro mage.

Personally, I don't think lil exorcist is that great of a card. I fits the very specific purpose of being a counter to a deathrattle aggro meta, without doing enough to counter that specific meta. I think when you run tech cards specifically meant to counter certain cards they essentially have to be an overpowered counter. BGH and Black Knight are super good when they connect. Harrison can just wreck your opponent's game plan and give you free cards. I mean, they have to be overpowered on the counter because they generally fail the vanilla test, so they are bad cards whenever you are up against a deck that the text does nothing against.

And with Lil Exorcist? With one deathrattle, it becomes a 3/4 with taunt. Which is... above average, but nothing ridiculous. It's a spider tank with taunt. With two or more, it becomes crazy as a 4/5 with taunt but honestly that still really only matches power with undertaker. And it can always get silenced, or hunter's marked. It just doesn't do enough. And in any other matchup it's just awful, even worse than tauren warrior.

The Adder

Banned
I wish it was a 2/4 for 4 with Taunt and "When Lil Excorcist would be damaged by a minion with Deathrattle instead become immune this turn."

johnsmith

remember me
This is probably the worst most annoying meta this game has ever had. If i was trying to seriously go for legend I would probably shoot myself.

johnsmith

remember me
I heard you like RNG and minion trading!

More like who gets the best mulligan. Games are over by turn 2.

Which is rng, you're right.

I fucking love how every mage always has both blastmages in their first 10 cards. And the first one will always come down on turn 4.

Spl1nter

I think hearthstone RNG hates me. Not a single frostbolt, fireball, or flamestrike in my arena draft for mage. Had tons of frost nova choices however....

The Adder

Banned
More like who gets the best mulligan. Games are over by turn 2.

Which is rng, you're right.

I fucking love how every mage always has both blastmages in their first 10 cards. And the first one will always come down on turn 4.

This is true. I almost think there is something wrong with the RNG. I have almost never not had it in my first hand or mull and I can't remember the last time I didn't have it on turn four.

And I don't generally even want to play it then!

Everybody made a mech mage deck day 1 :p

So it's not anyone's fault that it caught on. It's not bandwagon if you were on it out of the gate.

Personally, I don't think lil exorcist is that great of a card. I fits the very specific purpose of being a counter to a deathrattle aggro meta, without doing enough to counter that specific meta. I think when you run tech cards specifically meant to counter certain cards they essentially have to be an overpowered counter. BGH and Black Knight are super good when they connect. Harrison can just wreck your opponent's game plan and give you free cards. I mean, they have to be overpowered on the counter because they generally fail the vanilla test, so they are bad cards whenever you are up against a deck that the text does nothing against.

And with Lil Exorcist? With one deathrattle, it becomes a 3/4 with taunt. Which is... above average, but nothing ridiculous. It's a spider tank with taunt. With two or more, it becomes crazy as a 4/5 with taunt but honestly that still really only matches power with undertaker. And it can always get silenced, or hunter's marked. It just doesn't do enough. And in any other matchup it's just awful, even worse than tauren warrior.

I got a 4/5 the first time I used it... but the hunter had kill command which is an even trade.

I was far ahead in that match til he played a snake trap and then got a stupid hyena off webspinner and a taunt off animal companion... twice in a row.

The funny thing is most decks are actually running at least some deathrattles. Even paladin runs tirion after all. And most control decks run sludge belchers. At worse it soaks up 3/4 damage and helps control the flow of their minions. I might keep it if it works well enough against aggro mage.

Not really sure of a better anti-aggro card for that slot atm. Needs to be 0-3 mana and I think its better than backstab even.

Dr. Boom now being ran in aggro hunter?

And why not? I had that match in the wraps and it could have gone bad due to some stupid RNG mechanic they added to an already strong stat-wise and minion wise card.

boominhunter.jpg

Fortunately after I played gallywix, both bombs hit gallywix and I won.

BTW - when your hp hits 0 and then you get hp from zombie chow, does it bring you back from dying?

The Adder

Banned
Iceblock?

Edit: oh wait, you'll still die from fatigue in ice block?

Ice Block only lasts a turn. As long as Mal'Ganis is on the board, you're immune.

What I mean is that your opponent h
HAS to spend silence, removal, or minions dealing with it or else they can't win. There are no situations in which they can just ignore him and still win like there is for, say, Ysera. Or Rags. Or Cenarius. Or any other similarly costed legendary. Granted, you'd still likely lose ignoring those for too long. But Mal'Ganis presents a unique situation where if you ignore him you can not win.

The Adder

Banned
Dr. Boom now being ran in aggro hunter?

And why not? I had that match in the wraps and it could have gone bad due to some stupid RNG mechanic they added to an already strong stat-wise and minion wise card.

Fortunately after I played gallywix, both bombs hit gallywix and I won.

BTW - when your hp hits 0 and then you get hp from zombie chow, does it bring you back from dying?

Already strong? Who would play a War Golem that summoned 2 1/1s? Let alone consider it Legendary?

Nope. It'll seem to heal you, but you will still explode after.

So it's not anyone's fault that it caught on. It's not bandwagon if you were on it out of the gate.

True, it is not anyone's fault it caught on. The fault for still playing it on the other hand...

I know the feeling. I was playing Hunter with deathrattles and no buzzard :(

The Adder

Banned
You're kidding right? People run high stat minions for high stats all the time.

War Golem is a shit card and the 2 1/1s take it from "shit" to "maybe playable."

For perspective, for 2 more mana Onyxia gives you 1 more attack and health and as many 1/1 minions as you have room for. And outside of very specific decks, how often do you see it?

Edit: Wait, if you want to leave the text, what RNG part are you removing?

War Golem is a shit card and the 2 1/1s take it from "shit" to "maybe playable."

For perspective, for 2 more mana Onyxia gives you 1 more attack and health and as many 1/1 minions as you have room for. And outside of very specific decks, how often do you see it?

Edit: Wait, if you want to leave the text, what RNG part are you removing?

No sorry, you twisted my words and I fell for it. I said that 9/9 stats are strong.

Where did I say anything about removing anything?

edit:
You're just taking what I said out of context.

The RNG mechanic added to an already strong statwise minion. Did I say anything about changing the card? Or am I not allowed to comment about how I think it is a powerful RNG mechanic is bad, without it being inferred I think it must change because it is too strong?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Onyxia doesn't do enough to basically eat the entire turn. It's not necessarily the 1/1's itself but the potential insanity the bomb rolls can do. Like, if they manage to BGH the body and drop a yeti or something, run a bomb into the yeti and you could actually kill it with a roll of 4. If not, maybe it went and killed the hunter's wimpy HP pool and you can try again with the other bomb.

Dr. Boom has no way to be cleanly dealt with which is a big reason why he's so powerful.

The Adder

Banned
No sorry, you twisted my words and I fell for it. I said that 9/9 stats are strong.

Where did I say anything about removing anything?

edit:
You're just taking what I said out of context.

The RNG mechanic added to an already strong statwise minion. Did I say anything about changing the card? Or am I not allowed to comment about how I think it is a powerful RNG mechanic is bad, without it being inferred I think it must change because it is too strong?

Dr. Boom without the RNG mechanic is a 7/7 for 7 that summons 2 1/1 mechs.

MY point is that it IS NOT a strong card without the RNG mechanic. So no, they did not add an RNG element to a strong card. They made a borderline ok at best card into a meta-dominating card by adding an RNG mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom