• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
So no, they did not add an RNG element to a strong card.

I said they added RNG to an already strong stat wise and minion count card.

already strong stat-wise and minion wise card

Is what I said. A 7/7 + 2x 1/1 (deathrattle + mech) is strong for 7 mana stat wise and minion race wise. I never said anything about changing it or removing it or whatever else you're saying I did.

I think what I said is generally agreed upon. You're getting a minion above vanilla stats, with tribe and deathrattles. That is strong STATS without even including the RNG part.

And with Lil Exorcist? With one deathrattle, it becomes a 3/4 with taunt. Which is... above average, but nothing ridiculous. It's a spider tank with taunt. With two or more, it becomes crazy as a 4/5 with taunt but honestly that still really only matches power with undertaker. And it can always get silenced, or hunter's marked. It just doesn't do enough. And in any other matchup it's just awful, even worse than tauren warrior.

Dr Boom? Better than nothing.

Symphonic

What's a good deck to start off with? I can't for the life of me win a game and I can't figure out why... I'm not really making any mistakes as far as I can tell. What am I missing?? They always have better cards.

What's a good deck to start off with? I can't for the life of me win a game and I can't figure out why... I'm not really making any mistakes as far as I can tell. What am I missing?? They always have better cards.

You could start by posting your deck you are using right now. And then we can point out the weak cards in your deck. That is a pretty good spot to start with.

We can also suggest some pre-made cheap or basic decks to play.

If that doesn't work, you could be making mistakes you just don't understand as mistakes. People have often suggested trump videos for learning, although I've never watched any of them. But maybe someone will be willing to spectate you for a couple matches (I might but not tonight).

Symphonic

You could start by posting your deck you are using right now. And then we can point out the weak cards in your deck. That is a pretty good spot to start with.

We can also suggest some pre-made cheap or basic decks to play.

If that doesn't work, you could be making mistakes you just don't understand as mistakes. People have often suggested trump videos for learning, although I've never watched any of them. But maybe someone will be willing to spectate you for a couple matches (I might but not tonight).

I'm using the default decks lol

bunbun777

Definitely should unlock all the class cards first and be able to beat the ai on expert. Over half the default cards they put in your starting decks are pretty horrible.

Symphonic

Definitely should unlock all the class cards first and be able to beat the ai on expert. Over half the default cards they put in your starting decks are pretty horrible.

Definitely can't beat them on expert. Should I try that before or after getting them all to 10?

Special C

Definitely can't beat them on expert. Should I try that before or after getting them all to 10?

You will level up win or lose so work on beating them while leveling up. You get a good chunk of gold by beating them all so its best to go ahead and do it while you are leveling.

Even if you lack the skill/cards to beat them right now eventually you will win due to RNG.

You'll definitely want to check out some starter guides like perhaps trump's videos are appropriate. I dunno since I never watched them before. But definitely be able to beat the practice mode dudes, even expert off, pretty consistently.

What class do you want to play? We can get you a basic deck to throw together that is better than the defaults.

Hylian7

Are the servers down right now?

Also I probably will get funny looks for this, but I was tired of not being able to build decent decks, so I said "fuck it" and bought 15 packs. Only got one legendary, but it was absolutely worth it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Let's ignore that the odds for that are 12.5% at best.

It was a little tongue and cheek of course.

That being said it sounds like a weak answer to Dr. Boom to me. Sure you get a 4/5 for 3 mana but that really doesn't do enough.

Minsc

Gold Member
It was a little tongue and cheek of course.

That being said it sounds like a weak answer to Dr. Boom to me. Sure you get a 4/5 for 3 mana but that really doesn't do enough.

Yeah, compared to a 4/2 that actually removes the 7/7 part of Boom, which is equally as useful at taking out Rag and Giants and other large threats, for the same 3 mana, it's a hard sell, unless you're really seeing a ton of undertaker decks or something.

I was thinking another way to see how ridiculous over-valued Dr. Boom is, is to compare him to a Silver Hand Knight.

Silver Hand Knight, 5 mana, 4/4, 2/2, that's it.
Dr Boom, 7 mana, 7/7, 1/1, 1/1, and 1-4 damage split over RNG 2 times when the 1/1s die.

So for 2 extra mana, you get 3/3 worth of extra stats, and on average 5 points of damage, which could potentially remove a threat or two off your opponent's board. Seems like a ridiculous deal.

Really the best way to deal with Boom is to roll the dice and have a Mind Control Tech and BGH in hand, and hope their board wasn't empty when he was played. Then for 6 mana you have a ~25% of getting the 7/7 and not needing the BGH at all, or you get a bomb and BGH Boom, and should have a fairly even board with a 3/3, 4/2, 1/1 vs their 1/1 and whatever was still on the board, as long as they don't have an AoE spell.

795b586ac9.jpg

I think I hit peak hunter here. Might as well start playing Mage now.

ZealousD

I was thinking another way to see how ridiculous over-valued Dr. Boom is, is to compare him to a Silver Hand Knight.

Silver Hand Knight, 5 mana, 4/4, 2/2, that's it.
Dr Boom, 7 mana, 7/7, 1/1, 1/1, and 1-4 damage split over RNG 2 times when the 1/1s die.

If Boom Bots were actually cards that you could play in the game, they'd probably be worth 1 mana. So in that sense, the main body is like a 7/7 for 5 mana. If he wasn't a legendary, he'd have to be like a 5/6 or something.

NBtoaster

Gruul has to be the most forgotten legendary. Even core hound is seen because of webspinner, and millhouse, cho and ETC are part of joke strategies. Gruul has no use, no synergy with anything.

ZealousD

Gruul has to be the most forgotten legendary. Even core hound is seen because of webspinner, and millhouse, cho and ETC are part of joke strategies. Gruul has no use, no synergy with anything.

Nozdormu is worse. I've never seen him legitimately played outside of the first couple of weeks the game was live. Gruul is at least a halfway decent pick in Arena.

I've seen Gruul in constructed at least twice, more then I can say for some other ones, especially Nozdormu.

rac

Banned
Maybe change the boom bots where they can only deal 2-3 damage on the card that attacks or gets attacked by them. If they get destroyed by aoe then its random.

Or does that make the card even better?

Haunted

I looked at Amaz' YT channel and he uploaded some "highlight" clips from the Millenium House Cup.

Basically every one had a Dr. Boom in it. Card seems to dominate the meta right now. The new Loatheb, an auto-include in most decks.

I hope Sneed's Old Shredder can be tournament relevant just for the chance to see Nozdormu screw up everyone.

I suppose there's a better chance of Recombobulator making it happen.

Haunted

If Boom Bots were actually cards that you could play in the game, they'd probably be worth 1 mana. So in that sense, the main body is like a 7/7 for 5 mana. If he wasn't a legendary, he'd have to be like a 5/6 or something.
Dr. Boom wouldn't be out of place costing 8, even 9 mana.

He represents 9/9 stats + 2-8 random dmg.

Cenarius most commonly represents 9/12 stats with 4/4 of those in taunt. And it costs 9 mana. Though the effects on legendaries are so varied that it's hard to simply compare them via combined stats (would make Cairne an 8/10 for 6).

Haunted

From the classic set, maybe, Though I used to run Gruul because it was my only big legendary for a good while in the beta. :D

The two legendaries I haven't seen played yet (in videos/tournaments or in my own time with the game) are from the new set, Mogor the Ogre and Trade Prince Gallywix.

Maybe change the boom bots where they can only deal 2-3 damage on the card that attacks or gets attacked by them. If they get destroyed by aoe then its random.

Or does that make the card even better?

Just let the boom bots attack anybody. Embrace the true rng.

ZealousD

The two legendaries I haven't seen played yet (in videos/tournaments or in my own time with the game) are from the new set, Mogor the Ogre and Trade Prince Gallywix.

Mekgineer Thermaplugg seems pretty awful. I don't understand why he costs a whole 9 friggin mana.

Foe Reaper is weak in constructed but I think he might be one of the strongest legendaries in arena. Especially in the hands of a priest, if you don't have an answer Foe Reaper could just completely lock the game down to where it is impossible for you to come back.

Hylian7

All the Naxxramas Legendaries are OP pay-to-win bullshit.

In before "u salty", "git gud", or whatever other cancerous bullshit memes you want to throw at me after this rant.

Every other goddamn game I see Stalagg and Feugen. Okay, great, two legendaries, bring a silence and it shouldn't be that bad, okay.

Silence, do other shit, aaaaaand RETURN TO HAND AND PLAY IT AGAIN. Great, now I don't have anything to deal with these two fucks now. And I see these like every goddamn game. I don't feel like paying for Naxxramas, otherwise I would love to have these cards for myself, but it's going to take me months to even do one wing of it at this rate.

That fucking spider one (I forget it's name) that kills anything it damages. I swear to deal with any of these fuckers you have to have a deck full of 30 silences or 15 silences and 15 draw cards or something like that.

Just a few minutes ago, I was in a game where things were going alirght. I had his HP pretty low, he had me down to 8 exactly, but things were still looking up for me. Then OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE HERE IS THAT BLUE DINOSAUR FUCKER (I also forget his name) THAT'S 8/8 AND HAS CHARGE. ATTACK, GG, WELL PLAYED WELL PLAYED WELL PLAYED WELL PLAYED.

Don't even get me started on that fucking legendary that limits turn time to 15 seconds. That fucking thing is completely unfair to anyone not on a super stable internet connection, because if shit isn't firing immediately as you use it, you are screwed. On top of that if shit has a long animation (like Druid heals, stuff like that), you're also fucked. Why is this fucking allowed? Why is this pay to win bullshit even in the game?!

Dreavus

I know you mentioned it, but the only thing I can suggest is bringing more silences if those cards are giving you trouble. Maexxna's stats are pretty bad without the poison effect, and your opponent needs to get pretty lucky to find both zombie bros and have the second one die without a silence on it. It also signals you to save a silence when you see the first guy played (because you know the second is coming sometime in the future but usually not right away).

King Krush is just a regular Hunter legendary. Losses to charge minions out of nowhere do suck though. Just wait until a warrior blows you up with a 12+ damage Charge Mr. Hellscream.

As for the Nozdormu, you should be able to do most of what you want despite the animations. For example, you can heal your guy then throw out 2 minions while the animation is going and it should still go through, even though you "run out" of time while everything is playing out.

johnsmith

remember me

In before "u salty", "git gud", or whatever other cancerous bullshit memes you want to throw at me after this rant.

Every other goddamn game I see Stalagg and Feugen. Okay, great, two legendaries, bring a silence and it shouldn't be that bad, okay.

Silence, do other shit, aaaaaand RETURN TO HAND AND PLAY IT AGAIN. Great, now I don't have anything to deal with these two fucks now. And I see these like every goddamn game. I don't feel like paying for Naxxramas, otherwise I would love to have these cards for myself, but it's going to take me months to even do one wing of it at this rate.

That fucking spider one (I forget it's name) that kills anything it damages. I swear to deal with any of these fuckers you have to have a deck full of 30 silences or 15 silences and 15 draw cards or something like that.

Just a few minutes ago, I was in a game where things were going alirght. I had his HP pretty low, he had me down to 8 exactly, but things were still looking up for me. Then OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE HERE IS THAT BLUE DINOSAUR FUCKER (I also forget his name) THAT'S 8/8 AND HAS CHARGE. ATTACK, GG, WELL PLAYED WELL PLAYED WELL PLAYED WELL PLAYED.

Don't even get me started on that fucking legendary that limits turn time to 15 seconds. That fucking thing is completely unfair to anyone not on a super stable internet connection, because if shit isn't firing immediately as you use it, you are screwed. On top of that if shit has a long animation (like Druid heals, stuff like that), you're also fucked. Why is this fucking allowed? Why is this pay to win bullshit even in the game?!

Every single one of those legendaries is unplayable, and never used by good players. The only playable legendaries from Naxxramas are Loatheb and Kelthuzad. And even though Kelthuzad's power seems OP, it's actually not used as frequently as Loatheb because it's only good in very specific board states.

I've played hundreds of games, and have only seen Thaddius appear once. Most games are over before the 2nd guy comes on to the board, or I silence it.

As for the 8hp loss to King Krush, you lost when you got that low. Against a hunter if you go below 15 hp, you're already dead unless you have a ton of healing and taunts in hand.

manhack

I did find this amusing since I know it is not serious :)

Hylian7

Then explain to me how to have a deck prepared for literally every one of those overpowered fuckers. It's damn near impossible for someone like me who has been playing about a week.

I also just faced Archmage Antonidas for the first time. What a fucking joke. I actually faced him twice. The first time I won, but that was because by the time he came out, I think my opponent literally drew him the same turn he played him and I was already far in use lead that the fireball barrage didn't matter.

The second time though...I only have two silences in my Druid deck, because that is all the silences I have. And of course I didn't draw either of them. Then I was already fucked by the endless fireballs. I couldn't kill him on one turn with what I had, so he had plenty of time to build up fireballs before I could finish Antonidas.

Mage mirror match and we both get Ysera from our unstable portals. He lost the game because he played it immediately after he got it, probably because he was shocked by the sheer chances of that occurring after I played mine on turn 6, and totally forgot that I had a Sylvanas on the board so I promptly got my second Ysera of the game (without even having the card).

RNG is stupid but it sure is hilarious sometimes

manhack

Then explain to me how to have a deck prepared for literally every one of those overpowered fuckers. It's damn near impossible for someone like me who has been playing about a week.

No deck can be great in all match-ups. You basically have to expect that when you are "good" you will have a 50% win rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom