• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

I'm 99% sure I ran into a cheater. It was his turn, and he held a card over one of his minions for what seemed like 5 minutes. This was after all his minions attacked. Then they attacked again! Then it was my turn I was instantly on the fuse, then it just expired when it was about halfway up. It did this the rest of the game, making me unable to do anything and lose the game.

johnsmith

remember me
I'm 99% sure I ran into a cheater. It was his turn, and he held a card over one of his minions for what seemed like 5 minutes. This was after all his minions attacked. Then they attacked again! Then it was my turn I was instantly on the fuse, then it just expired when it was about halfway up. It did this the rest of the game, making me unable to do anything and lose the game.

I'm 100% sure you disconnected.

3 legendaries in 15 packs is insane

I bought 40 packs when GvG released and got legendaries in 3 consecutive packs! Bolvar, Dr. Boom and Hemet Nesingwary. After that I bought 9 packs with gold and got another Dr. Boom, another Bolvar and Blingtron. Lucky me!

And I had the best comeback of my Hearthstone career just now! I was facing a Druid with my Miracle/Mech hybrid Rogue and got him below 15 in 4 turns. Then I ran out of steam because I couldn't get an Auctioneer or Gazlowe. The Druid burned through his hand in the beginning so he was top decking and managed to get some decents cards like Ironbark Protector. So in my final turn he had 9 HP with a 9/6 Ironbark and Alpha on the field and I was down to 7 HP with a 4/4 Tinkertown and 1/4 Flying Machine. I had Blade Flurry, Sinister Strike and Cold Blood in my hand and the guy was constantly spamming "well played". I used the Sinister Strike, buffed the Flying Machine with Cold Blood and unleashed Flurry while finishing that Ironbark with my Machine. Finally to the face with Tinkertown, said "Well Played", used my hero power to get a new weapon and striked that arrogant fool down...felt so good ;)

I tried running a single ogre ninja and a single shade today in my weapon rogue deck. So far I think that is a pretty good set up.

I did a lot of little modifications today:
-1 ERF
-2 drakes
+1 shade of naxx
+1 ogre ninja
=
These are excellent and I think 1 of each is pretty good but I might even run 2 ogre ninjas. I also wasn't happy with the performance of azure drake. ERF was working but I think antique healbot is just gonna fill that heal role. I might run two of them. But for now I am keeping van cleef.

-2 anubar ambushers
-1 fan of knives
-2 zombie chow
+2 backstabs
+1 haunted creepers
=
I think 2 fan of knives was hurting me more than it was helping. You so often get 1 really good fan of knives but rarely get 2. Backstabs are pretty much a replacement for zombie chow. As good as zombie chow is, backstab might actually be better even though I won't be able to grab board control with backstab on its own. The main purpose of chow is to beat aggro (specifically 2-3 hp minions and especially undertaker + mechwarper). Also, I cut ambushers for creepers since they are faster at beating aggro and are still pretty good for taking sword oil buffs. Cutting chow meant I needed another low drop in the deck, which creeper fits. Oh, then I cut 1 creeper cause I am greedy and needed a slot for spellbreaker.

-1 thalnos
+1 spellbreaker
+1 gnomish inventor
=
This is just a meta choice I think. A silence or even a sap is pretty good in this meta. I chose a silence because it fits the curve better, I don't have many 4 drop minions and since I cut a card draw off thalnos, I added a gnomish inventor to replace it. Similar reasons as choosing spellbreaker. I've also always kinda like gnomish inventor because people don't see it as a threat and may not want to spend removal on it, and then you hit it with coldblood (not in the deck) or lately sword oil (2x in the deck) and suddenly its an actual threat.

+1 sabotage
=
This is something I cut from the last version. But I think it is very worth including. It turns out that a 4 mana deadly shot in rogue is still pretty good. And sometimes you get the combo off and get bigger value.

This is what the deck looks like currently (edited to be exact):

Hearthstone_Screenshot_12_25_2014_19_12_41.png

starting to look like the rogue deck that's already out there haha

Double blade flurry seems to really have caught on due to having additional ways to increase its value. But not double assassin's blades. (afaik)

But frankly I'd cut backstabs for shivs in a heartbeat if the mech spam decks weren't being ran. I'm still looking for a way to just not use that.

edit:
Faced a handlock today who played some demon cards as well and I got siphon soul off gallywix. Later he played a ragnaros to which I sabotaged. And then his final hoorah was malganis which I had an 8/8 van cleef and 4-5 other attack on board. I bet I he regretted me having siphon soul at that point.

caesar

Banned
Just gave myself a Christmas present and bought 15 packs. Got Hogger, The Beast and Raggy and now have enough to craft Hellscream. Buying packs is dangerous, I just want to buy some more. Aaaahhh, I hate card games, I just NEED to buy boosters!
1% of cards are legendary averaging 1/20 packs so that's damn lucky.

Rough estimates not confirmed by Blizzard, but most people agree its around that.

Ashodin

The sword oil is straight combo cheese mode. Couple times I would look like I'm dead and they would be swiss cheese the next turn.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm not sure Antique Healbot does a whole lot against the minion heavy aggro decks that I think the above posters were talking about. Against decks (like miracle Rogue, freeze Mage, most Hunters) that can only really deal a certain amount of damage, it's a godsend. But against decks (like Zoolock, and all these mech heavy aggro decks that have been popping up since G&G released) which aim to grab early control of the board and overwhelm the opponent with minion synergy it doesn't do much - the minions will just charge on and deal the 8 damage soon after.

The only counter to aggression by minion swarm is AoE, or forcing them to go through heavy taunts (or better minion aggression, of course). In Arena, as has been remarked on, AoE is now tougher to come by - G&G added significantly more minions than spells, never mind spells like Consecration/Holy Nova/Flamestrike that can make huge swings. And the minions that were added, certainly among the commons, were disproportionately low mana cost (usually with text, often buffing or receiving buffs from friendly minions, or dishing out random damage), which decreases the chances of having a deck full of big guys to Taunt up and hide behind. This side of Jeeves, I notice there wasn't a huge amount of card draw added either - which means that once you're at a card disadvantage, you're probably more likely to stay there too, unless you're a Warlock.

Now to be clear, I don't think things have actually changed all that much - the best Arena players placed huge value on 1-drops, 2-drops and quality 4-drops before G&G released, and would fight aggressively for the board in the early turns, knowing that getting it would give them a huge chance of winning (everyone remembers the one time a 10-0 Mage had 4 Flamestrikes, 3 Polymorphs and 2 Blizzards and somehow recovered and won, but forgets the great majority of opponents who succumbed after losing the early turns).

Not by itself no, but in addition to having a normal early-mid-late game, the 16 extra health and two 3/3 bodies pretty much spell a lot of trouble for rush decks.

Assuming you draw in to ~2 direct damage spells, 1 AoE, and a couple 2,3, or 4 drop minions of your own, by the time you get to playing the heal bot, you should be ready to swing the game back to your side.

Ogre ninja was another card I was excited about. Weapon based rogues can do some real damage when you have a big fatty on the board and a weapon in hand to remove whatever they throw down.

And the healbot was yet another card that in my mind made weapon based rogues work even more.

So even before GVG came out I had this deck in mind. I've done a ton of experimenting to see what works, and that is cause I am trying to find something broken about rogue to make it compete with top decks that also have that one thing broken about them.

The deck has a value plan in mind, for against control I generally need to get some card advantage. Against aggro it has a tempo plan in mind, via backstabs/si7agent, blade flurry, sabotage, etc..

And it has a broken thing it can do (at least imo), which is saving up for a huge blade flurry clearing board, hitting face, and having enough left over mana to establish board presence to make it a powerful swing turn.

There are still a couple ideas I haven't tried out yet though. Troggzor has some real nice synergy with gallywix. Replacing backstabs for shivs for better control matches (for control meta of course). Dr. Boom.

Also, I can't even say how many things I have already experimented with, many proving good. But I'm looking for better than good.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So what's the deal with Troggzor? He seems really good but I don't see him that much. I guess his use is more anti-Warrior/Priest? And he doesn't do enough against other classes?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
So what's the deal with Troggzor? He seems really good but I don't see him that much. I guess his use is more anti-Warrior/Priest? And he doesn't do enough against other classes?
He's actually pretty good but Dr boom has more universal application. You have to be ahead for trggzor to be good while boom is good both when ahead and behind

I'd argue troggzor is better than boom when ahead, but being good when behind is more important

Permanently A

Its hilarious whenever I see an incredibly unlikely way for RNG to go bad for me because I know that's exactly what's going to happen.

Ogre Brute on board against 5 targets, only bad one is a 4/2 with divine shield.

Guess what it hit?

Speaking of bad pack RNG, I've opened 25 GVG packs and gotten only 1 gold card, 4 epics, and zero Legendaries. Thankfully I had about 8,000 dust to craft what I needed but that's some slightly bad luck I'd say.

BlazinAm

Playing Mage and a Priest was able to ThoughtSteal both my Pyroblast and use them back to back is a nice way for me to stop playing the game couple days.

Hylian7

Hogger, Kel'Thuzad, and Nozdormu all in the same fucking match. Of course when this happens, I can't draw any of my silences, can't keep a goddamn minion alive long enough to deal with it, and my laptop starts to shit the bed in the framerate department making dealing with Nozdormu even harder than it should be. Fucking thanks Hearthstone.

Hogger, Kel'Thuzad, and Nozdormu all in the same fucking match. Of course when this happens, I can't draw any of my silences, can't keep a goddamn minion alive long enough to deal with it, and my laptop starts to shit the bed in the framerate department making dealing with Nozdormu even harder than it should be. Fucking thanks Hearthstone.

Post your deck, I'll see if I can make a few card replacement suggestions.

Hylian7

Post your deck, I'll see if I can make a few card replacement suggestions.

This isn't my only deck, but it's just the one I was using in the above situation.

As dumb as this sounds, I like the idea of getting suggestions here and there on stuff, but I don't want to straight up go "Google what everyone else is building, build a carbon copy of that" in this game. Sure, it won't get me into the "pro leagues" or whatever, but I want to make these things on my own.

It's a Hunter deck. Something else to note is the reason I only have two silences in it is because those are literally all the silences I have.

2 Hunter's Mark
2 Shieldbearer
2 Timber Wolf
1 Explosive Trap
1 Snipe
2 Frostwolf Grunt
2 Scavenging Hyena
2 Animal Companion
1 Unleash the Hounds
2 Ironfur Grizzly
2 Multi-Shot
2 Houndmaster
2 Spellbreaker
2 Cobra Shot
1 Fen Creeper
2 Starving Buzzard
2 Tundra Rhino

Xanathus

Heh, have a great 7-0 arena Shaman deck right now. Last game I had a ridiculous start:
Mulligan: Lightning Bolt, 2 Unbound Elementals
Turn 1: Top deck Zombie Chow
Turn 2: Healing Totem (this is important)
Turn 3: Play Unbound, trade in Chow into enemy's 3/2
Turn 4: Play other Unbound, Lightning Bolt enemy's coined Water Elemental and kill it with Unbound, healing totem heals up Unbound
Turn 5: Stormforged Axe to kill opponent's 3/2 and Unbound kills another 2/X, End turn and I have basically 2 Yetis, a totem and an axe on board. Opponent concedes.

ZealousD

2 Shieldbearer
2 Frostwolf Grunt
2 Ironfur Grizzly
1 Snipe
2 Cobra Shot
1 Fen Creeper
2 Starving Buzzard

These cards are all bad.

Shieldbearer heals you maybe 4-6 health for 1 mana. It doesn't kill anything. All you're doing with the card is stalling and your opponent basically gets to kill it for free. It doesn't really fit into a hunter deck at all either.

Frostwolf Grunt is far too easy for your opponent to kill and doesn't really guarantee any kills, and at best it's a 1 for 1 on a 3/2 or something. Ironfur Grizzly is in a similarly bad spot, at 3 health for 3 mana it's too easy for your opponent to have a 2 mana 3/2 and trade up or something.

Snipe is bad because you have no idea what it's going to hit. If it hits something that costs 2 mana or less, your opponent came out ahead. If it hits something with 5 or more health, your opponent also came out ahead, because you didn't kill whatever they played, and now you have to spend another card to kill that thing. So the only time YOU come out ahead with that card is when it kills some kind of 4 health minion that costs 4 mana, Like a Tallstrider or Azure Drake or something. Which is super rare.

Cobra Shot costs way, way too much for what it does. Consider that Arcane Shot does only 1 less damage to a minion and costs 4 whole mana less. The 3 damage to the other hero is nothing. It's honestly one of the worst cards introduced into Goblins vs Gnomes.

Fen Creeper only gives you 1 extra health over Senjin Shieldmaster, even though it costs a full extra mana. Senjin is much better.

Starving Buzzard use to be good. It's not anymore, because they nerfed the crap out of it. You probably like the Buzzard + Unleash combo but that costs a whole 8 mana. Even Cult Master + Unleash is better, and it's still not the preferred way for hunter to draw cards these days.

Overall, I can tell from looking at your deck that you're probably too focused on your hero's life totals and you aren't properly controlling the board. Your opponents can get easy trades with your minions and conquer the board and they're easily overwhelming you because your crummy taunts aren't doing enough.

Go onto Youtube and watch the "Trump's Teachings" videos to get a better idea of how to play the game.

Hylian7

These cards are all bad.

Shieldbearer heals you maybe 4-6 health for 1 mana. It doesn't kill anything. All you're doing with the card is stalling and your opponent basically gets to kill it for free. It doesn't really fit into a hunter deck at all either.

Frostwolf Grunt is far too easy for your opponent to kill and doesn't really guarantee any kills, and at best it's a 1 for 1 on a 3/2 or something. Ironfur Grizzly is in a similarly bad spot, at 3 health for 3 mana it's too easy for your opponent to have a 2 mana 3/2 and trade up or something.

Snipe is bad because you have no idea what it's going to hit. If it hits something that costs 2 mana or less, your opponent came out ahead. If it hits something with 5 or more health, your opponent also came out ahead, because you didn't kill whatever they played, and now you have to spend another card to kill that thing. So the only time YOU come out ahead with that card is when it kills some kind of 4 health minion that costs 4 mana, Like a Tallstrider or Azure Drake or something. Which is super rare.

Cobra Shot costs way, way too much for what it does. Consider that Arcane Shot does only 1 less damage to a minion and costs 4 whole mana less. The 3 damage to the other hero is nothing. It's honestly one of the worst cards introduced into Goblins vs Gnomes.

Fen Creeper only gives you 1 extra health over Senjin Shieldmaster, even though it costs a full extra mana. Senjin is much better.

Starving Buzzard use to be good. It's not anymore, because they nerfed the crap out of it. You probably like the Buzzard + Unleash combo but that costs a whole 8 mana. Even Cult Master + Unleash is better, and it's still not the preferred way for hunter to draw cards these days.

Overall, I can tell from looking at your deck that you're probably too focused on your hero's life totals and you aren't properly controlling the board. Your opponents can get easy trades with your minions and conquer the board and they're easily overwhelming you because your crummy taunts aren't doing enough.

Go onto Youtube and watch the "Trump's Teachings" videos to get a better idea of how to play the game.

What are the non-bad taunt cards then that don't cost a billion mana other than Senjin Shieldmaster? I feel like I need early taunts to not die.

This isn't my only deck, but it's just the one I was using in the above situation.

As dumb as this sounds, I like the idea of getting suggestions here and there on stuff, but I don't want to straight up go "Google what everyone else is building, build a carbon copy of that" in this game. Sure, it won't get me into the "pro leagues" or whatever, but I want to make these things on my own.

It's a Hunter deck. Something else to note is the reason I only have two silences in it is because those are literally all the silences I have.

2 Hunter's Mark
2 Shieldbearer
2 Timber Wolf
1 Explosive Trap
1 Snipe
2 Frostwolf Grunt
2 Scavenging Hyena
2 Animal Companion
1 Unleash the Hounds
2 Ironfur Grizzly
2 Multi-Shot
2 Houndmaster
2 Spellbreaker
2 Cobra Shot
1 Fen Creeper
2 Starving Buzzard
2 Tundra Rhino

Lets see...

Looks like a midrange hunter but you don't have much of an end game.

Here are some of the better cards for hunter though:
Haunted creeper (first wing of naxx) - pretty solid sticky minion at 2 mana cost
Savannah Highmane - One of the best 6 drops in the game, and definitely for hunters. This can help your end game a ton.
mad scientist - another card from naxx, pretty brokenly strong card though for hunters using traps
Freezing trap - Probably hunter's best trap

These cards I'd recommend replacing (sooner rather than later):
frostwolf grunt
starving buzzard
shieldbearer -> senjin shieldmasta I think is gonna get you more value in this type of deck as a taunt

These are some cards you'll probably replace when you get better cards:
Cobra shot, although I kind of like this card
ironfur grizzly, (like eaglehorn bow)
Fen creeper, (like sludge belcher)
Tundra Rhino

First thing I would do is get 2 highmanes. That is without a doubt. 200 dust and the best investment you'll put in for this deck.

Also, don't be afraid to check out some net decks. Treat it like a learning experience. Get the feel of how a well built deck works and try to learn why it works. And then you can adjust your own deck and continue to work on it.

Hylian7

Also I don't have any Naxx stuff and don't feel like buying it right now. It's going to take a looooooong time to get any of it.

ZealousD

What are the non-bad taunt cards then that don't cost a billion mana other than Senjin Shieldmaster? I feel like I need early taunts to not die.

If by "don't cost a billion mana" you mean 4 or less, then that would be.... well, almost nothing else except annoy-o-tron, situationally (mech decks). Unstable Ghoul and Voidwalker are good in Control Warrior and Zoo Warlock specifically, but other then that there are very few good cheap taunts. Taunt minions are good when they force your opponent to make bad trades, like run 2 minions to kill your single 1 minion. Senjin can do this by killing 2 weaker minions that cost around 2 mana or so. You can't really do this with any earlier taunt in the game.

Your problem likely has much more to do with the fact that you're not really controlling the board effectively. In this case, a good defense is actually a solid offense. You need minions that can efficiently trade with your opponent's minions. You essentially lack any initiative in your deck so your opponent is controlling the pace of the game, not you.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

2 Hunter's Mark
2 Shieldbearer
2 Timber Wolf
1 Explosive Trap
1 Snipe
2 Frostwolf Grunt
2 Scavenging Hyena
2 Animal Companion
1 Unleash the Hounds
2 Ironfur Grizzly
2 Multi-Shot
2 Houndmaster
2 Spellbreaker
2 Cobra Shot
1 Fen Creeper
2 Starving Buzzard
2 Tundra Rhino

Hylian dude that deck is pretty questionable, even for a starter card deck. While I can appreciate your not wanting to just netdeck that doesn't mean you should be willfully ignorant of what people are doing and how they go about deck building. Watch some streams, look at some decklists, check out the abundance of info out there. If you don't it's like you're starting over from day one not just from a collecting standpoint, but from card evaluation as well.

Looking at your deck it's pretty weak early, shieldbearer into nothing threatening behind it. Nothing to trade in front of a hyena if you play it on curve, and what looks like complete reliance on a high value multi shot or a lucky snipe to keep your momentum. Without highmane or any other high cost neutral you have almost no late game threat, even something like a boulderfist would help here. More or less you've got weak early game and no late game, I bet your success comes from hound master on to your animal companion summon on curve and leveraging that into damage if they can't remove it.

You need to gut out a lot of this and replace it with high value, common cards like the ones you want to draft in arena until you can flesh out your collection enough to build a more cohesive deck. If you want to spend any more money on this game you want to buy Naxx rather than packs. You guarantee yourself an evenly spread collection of great cards, common to legendary.

I used to think that way too, but I now feel like you need to have some practice with one deck that's acknowledged to be competitive (as in a deck that's proven capable of reaching legendary) in order to actually learn how to play the game. It narrows down the variables to only your own play, which makes it more straightforward to improve.

In my experience, trying to learn the game while also building your own deck isn't practical for getting better, because you only think about how X card would've saved you from losing that one game, so you end up with a deck full of answers but no gameplan.

Hylian7

If by "don't cost a billion mana" you mean 4 or less, then that would be.... well, almost nothing else except annoy-o-tron, situationally (mech decks). Unstable Ghoul and Voidwalker are good in Control Warrior and Zoo Warlock specifically, but other then that there are very few good cheap taunts. Taunt minions are good when they force your opponent to make bad trades, like run 2 minions to kill your single 1 minion. Senjin can do this by killing 2 weaker minions that cost around 2 mana or so. You can't really do this with any earlier taunt in the game.

Your problem likely has much more to do with the fact that you're not really controlling the board effectively. In this case, a good defense is actually a solid offense. You need minions that can efficiently trade with your opponent's minions. You essentially lack any initiative in your deck so your opponent is controlling the pace of the game, not you.

I don't have any of those taunt cards. I have tried having too few taunts before and just got destoryed because everything I put out there just dies immediately so it turned out to not be worth it.

ZealousD

I don't have any of those taunt cards. I have tried having too few taunts before and just got destoryed because everything I put out there just dies immediately so it turned out to not be worth it.

And now your taunts are dying immediately too. So what benefit are you getting from them, exactly?

Look, I gave you a link to the Trump's Teaching videos on YouTube. Have you watched them yet? You are probably missing some very basic concepts.

Hylian7

And now your taunts are dying immediately too. So what benefit are you getting from them, exactly?

Look, I gave you a link to the Trump's Teaching videos on YouTube. Have you watched them yet? You are probably missing some very basic concepts.

I haven't watched them, but I'm not sure what you mean by "missing basic concepts". This game isn't Dota.

Hylian7

I will watch them later. I took suggestions from people in this thread and came up with this.

nXvSYBL.png

After trying it out once I felt like I did even worse.

ZealousD

After trying it out once I felt like I did even worse.

That's because you have no early game minions. What do you play on Turn 2? Maybe you play Animal Companion on Turn 3, if you get it? Are you sure Houndmaster is going to buff a minion if you play it on Turn 4? If you don't get the Animal Companion on Turn 3 you are screwed. Maybe you play Mogu'shan Warden on Turn 4, and it just dies without killing anything because it has only 1 attack on it.

Also Lord of the Arena is a bad card. The worst kind of taunt minion is the one that has more attack than it has health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom