• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

caesar

Banned
This isn't my only deck, but it's just the one I was using in the above situation.

As dumb as this sounds, I like the idea of getting suggestions here and there on stuff, but I don't want to straight up go "Google what everyone else is building, build a carbon copy of that" in this game. Sure, it won't get me into the "pro leagues" or whatever, but I want to make these things on my own.

It's a Hunter deck. Something else to note is the reason I only have two silences in it is because those are literally all the silences I have.

2 Hunter's Mark - A useable card and fits in deck.
2 Shieldbearer - This can't kill anything take it out. You are hunter.
2 Timber Wolf - Again I dont think this fits, if you draw it when you have nothing in hand its a dead card.
1 Explosive Trap - Sure why not.
1 Snipe - Freezing trap is better.
2 Frostwolf Grunt - 2 mana for a 2/2 taunt is straight up bad.
2 Scavenging Hyena - Its okay but again its a card thats better when you're ahead.
2 Animal Companion - An excellent card for various reasons.
1 Unleash the Hounds - Good to have, you may want to consider Knife Juggler if you are using these and timber wolf.
2 Ironfur Grizzly - This costs 1 mana less than senjin, its a beast but not worth.
2 Multi-Shot - This isn't good when there are so many deathrattles about.
2 Houndmaster - Yeah okay.
2 Spellbreaker - Use owl.
2 Cobra Shot - This should be Kill Command.
1 Fen Creeper - 5 taunts?
2 Starving Buzzard - This card is too expensive for what it does.
2 Tundra Rhino - Savannah Highmane
Ok I edited some comments in.

It seems like you are trying to play around everything, which won't get you anywhere. You want to just play a deck that is solid regardless. Hunter benefitted the most out of everyone from Naxx so I recommend that like everyone else.

Other than that cards like Eaglehorn Bow, Kill Command and Savannah Highmane will wreck house.

Hylian7

Ok I edited some comments in.

It seems like you are trying to play around everything, which won't get you anywhere. You want to just play a deck that is solid regardless. Hunter benefitted the most out of everyone from Naxx so I recommend that like everyone else.

Other than that cards like Eaglehorn Bow, Kill Command and Savannah Highmane will wreck house.

This is a common problem I run into in this game: I have maybe two out of all the cards you suggested I replace cards with. I wish I had Knife Juggler. I wish I had Savannah Highmane. I wish I had Kel'Thuzad or something.

I will watch them later. I took suggestions from people in this thread and came up with this.

nXvSYBL.png

After trying it out once I felt like I did even worse.

Generally the best way to avoid getting overrun in the early game is to contest the board with minions. With that in mind, I would run early game beasts like river crocolisk and bloodfen raptor. If you play those on turn 2, animal companion on turn 3, you generally have a good chance of having a houndmaster target. Your lack of strong beasts also make tundra rhino not very useful. I would run stranglethorn tiger over him, if you have it. I would also only run one multishot over two, since it's generally very situational. Explosive trap and freezing trap are better as removals.

Late game taunts in general suck unless they're Sunwalker, so instead of Lord of the Arena I would run Boulderfist. I would also probably cut one spellbreaker. Silence is not an absolute necessity, even in this meta.

Hylian7

E7DzmBu.png

I won with the deck I posted in the last post, but I see the problems people mentioned and tried again. The major problem I feel is I don't have 90% of the specific cards everyone says I need. I wish I had Owls instead of Spellbreakers. I feel like that is the biggest one. This one is based on the last few suggestions.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This is a common problem I run into in this game: I have maybe two out of all the cards you suggested I replace cards with. I wish I had Knife Juggler. I wish I had Savannah Highmane. I wish I had Kel'Thuzad or something.

So instead of Knife Juggler and Savannah HIghmane, put in something like Bloodfen Raptor and Stranglethorn Tiger.

You need to stop thinking about putting in answers for what your opponent is doing and start thinking about what you need to put onto the board that your opponent has to respond to.

caesar

Banned
They cost 100 dust to craft, should be able to get them in a couple of days if you just do the dailies.

You should make your priority one class right now and invest some dust into it. Hunter is good for that because it can do a lot with a little. You can beat an 8000 dust Warrior deck with an 800 dust Hunter deck.

Its christmas so treat yourself to Naxx and get crafting. :d

Also, you should keep in mind that taunts are pretty much bad cards. The only truly good taunt in the game is Sludge Belcher. Its never worth it to put Mogushan Warden in your deck, eh okay so you soaked up 7 dmg and did 1 to two of their creatures? That achieves pretty much nothing if they are playing efficient minions like Chillwind Yeti which is a 4/5 for the same mana cost. If you really want to make it on your own decks you need to realise having minions that trade well with the board, and also having earlygame is key. This is why Savannah Highmane is so good, a 6/5 for 6 that spawns 2 2/2s - so what if you killed my 6/5? Thanks you just spent all that mana to lower my dmg output by 2 and I'm a Hunter. Its better than a lot of legendaries, it costs 100 dust and you can have two in your deck.

Also, you want a win condition. You need something thay threatens to win quickly after its played.. or that your hand has so muh burst you just kill them regardless. Since your hunter you wanna look at it like this. Your hero power deals 2 dmg to face. If you have bow equipped thats another 3 dmg. If you have beast and a kc thats another 5 dmg. If you have two kca thats 10. So theoretically you can pay 8 mana to do 15 dmg on one turn regardless of minion attacks, the nature of the hero power means its really easy to get your opppnent below 20 health, winning like that seems like a good option.

The hero power is also why Hunter as a class excels in aggressive play. Anyways I cant think of any other points right now, but more than prepared to give some deck building/playing advice.

IceMarker

Christmas money = my first (and hopefully only) real money pack purchase. Anything else is coming from gold or stream donations.

EDIT: Bought $20.00 USD for 15 GvG Packs, first pack has a Legendary (Malorne)!
GG WP BLIZZARD PAY-2-WIN HERE I COME

ZealousD

http://i.imgur.com/E7DzmBu.png

Okay, this is an improvement. Now you're getting somewhere.

Some more suggestions.

The Scavenging Hyenas are good with Unleash the Hounds but you have only one of those. So they probably aren't doing enough. Your curve could be a little better on 3 mana, I think Shattered Sun Cleric is probably a good replacement here.

Dragonling Mechanic and Mogu'shan Warden are weak. Oasis Snapjaw is better than both. Oasis Snapjaw is also straight up nuts with Houndmaster.

And instead of Stormwind Champion and Force Tank Max for your late game, I think two Stranglethorn Tigers are probably better.

Xanathus

I'm debating just giving in and buying Naxx...I did get money for Christmas...

If you want to be competitive *immediately*, you'll have to buy Naxx and maybe some packs. The only other choice is to just do your daily quests and/or play arena and slowly earn the gold for them. You can't have your cake and eat it.

So I got 100 battle.net bucks for hearthstone for Christmas, how should I spend it? All on GvG? Or core cards? I'm pretty behind on both. Half and half maybe?

*already completed naxx fyi

ViviOggi

So I got 100 battle.net bucks for hearthstone for Christmas, how should I spend it? All on GvG? Or core cards? I'm pretty behind on both. Half and half maybe?

Yeah probably somewhere between 50:50 and 2:1 in favor of classic packs. You start getting GvG dupes pretty fast.

Xanathus

I would slowly buy 5 or 10 packs at a time from each side and open them before buying the next set of packs. That way you can figure out how well your collection is filling up and know whether to prioritize buying classic or GVG packs. You might actually want to prioritize classic higher if you don't have many of those cards since you can no longer get classic packs from arena.

Special C

Just opened THE worst Classic pack. (ノಠдಠ)ノ︵┻━━┻

B5xtuMQCIAAL5kv.png:large

That's a good pack if you have all the commons and rares. Any time I get an Epic I'm happy. Even if it's just because it's worth more dust.

CRS

Unfortunately, I don't have all the common and rares. I am grateful for the Epic since it gets me closer to my Force of Nature but that's about it.

Also, got a small winning streak and was able to get up to 15 with an extremely basic Druid deck with 1 Legendary (Baron) and a couple Rares (Argent and Sunwalker) the only stand out cards. But then the streak was over with two losses in a row. :(

TheChaos0

3 legendaries in 15 packs is insane

It was clearly a Christmas present. ;)

I've tried that Neirea's deck. Well, it's a lot of fun! A LOT of fun. It's not easy job though. You have to control the board until you draw into all your win condition pieces and you only got 2 cards that can win the game, so you can't really waste them. But it is so fun drawing all these cards and always have an option to do something. One game I played was against a conrol priest I guess. He was at 30hp and I was at 20 and 16 armor. His hand was full, I guess with spells because he stopped dropping guys at around 4 turns before I was to draw my last card. He kept spamming well played for these last 4 turns... on my last card draw I replied with Thanks and proceeded with doing 30-0 with my combo. Bouahahahaha!

Raytow

So any good decks for paladin, that aren't as expensive as a handlock? got bored of my zoolock, and the handlock replacement I have is kinda ass.

Haunted

3 legendaries in 15 packs is insane
I forgot which streamer it was, but he opened hundreds of packs and didn't get any legendaries in the first 60. I mean, in the long run it didn't matter as he eventually got most of the ones he wanted - but for people like me, who only had enough gold for 20 packs at release and then 1 every couple days, getting none in 60 packs would be devastating.

I got 2 in 21 on day 1. Now still at 2 for... 30 packs or so.

Rank 6 and I'm scared of continuing D:
GvG Mustard is an amazing deck.

As for legendaries, I opened a total of 123 GvG packs (including the 3 free ones), and ended up with a total of 9 legendaries (6 in my first 63 packs, 3 in my other 60 packs.)

ZealousD

Why are Druid and Rogue so bad. D=

I seriously cannot come up with a deck that I like for either of them.

Raxus

Why are Druid and Rogue so bad. D=

I seriously cannot come up with a deck that I like for either of them.

Druid has a place in the meta thankfully. Rogue, unfortunately, is still struggles now that miracle is nerfed to hell and back (deservedly so). On paper there should be at least a DECENT rogue deck with the new cards. Sadly I have yet to encounter one that is reliable.

Druid has a place in the meta thankfully. Rogue, unfortunately, is still struggles now that miracle is nerfed to hell and back (deservedly so). On paper there should be at least a DECENT rogue deck with the new cards. Sadly I have yet to encounter one that is reliable.

Pirate/Weapon rogue seems pretty stronk.

E7DzmBu.png

I won with the deck I posted in the last post, but I see the problems people mentioned and tried again. The major problem I feel is I don't have 90% of the specific cards everyone says I need. I wish I had Owls instead of Spellbreakers. I feel like that is the biggest one. This one is based on the last few suggestions.

It is probably very hard getting suggestions from 100 differents points of view, especially for cards you don't have.

And I think you're actually cutting cards that are fine to have in a budget version of hunter.

Anyway, your main priority should be to get 200 dust to craft highmane. Craft 2 of them. After that your deck will work much better since highmane is such a difficult minion to deal with when played on turn 6. It is very much like getting a legendary card for only 100 dust since it is only a rare.

When you get highmanes, replace force tank max and mogu'shan warden.

Also dragonling mechanic seems like an odd choice. Razorfen hunter is fine.

And even scavenging hyena is fine since you have 10ish cards that are beasts, and then once highmane is in the deck you have a couple more. You could cut down to one hyena though, because it is somewhat situational. That is more of a judgement call on you though.

I noticed you cut multi-shot. I think that card is pretty good for what you have available to you. Maybe running a 1 of is worth it.

Spellbreaker is fine. Owl is overrated. Spellbreaker is a card that they have to spend real resources to remove and the 4 damage is not insignificant. Owl just has the benefit of being a beast in your deck for houndmaster to proc off of. It will rarely work with hyena or houndmaster.

Your main goal should be to make 2 highmanes though.

If pirate rogue turns out to be a longer lasting thing, I'll definitely adopt it. The deck archetype doesn't seem far off from what I am running in rogue anyway. I even crafted greenskin a few months ago and haven't gotten a ton of use out of him yet and I think he is pretty good. I haven't tested him out in my own deck yet though.

edit:
Dr. Boom strikes again

I play a BGH killing the 7/7 body. Then I play a sludge belcher and hero power one of the bombs. The bomb hits and kills the BGH. Then he runs the bomb into the sludge belcher and the deathrattle hits it for 4.

So he wins a 1/3 chance to hit BGH. Then a 3/4 chance to kill the BGH.

Then he wins a 1/2 chance to hit belcher and a 1/4 chance to kill the belcher.

That exact outcome or better is 1/3 * 3/4 * 1/2 * 1/4 right?

If my math is right, that is a 3% chance of happening.

zoukka

Dr. Boom strikes again

I play a BGH killing the 7/7 body. Then I play a sludge belcher and hero power one of the bombs. The bomb hits and kills the BGH. Then he runs the bomb into the sludge belcher and the deathrattle hits it for 4.

So he wins a 1/3 chance to hit BGH. Then a 3/4 chance to kill the BGH.

Then he wins a 1/2 chance to hit belcher and a 1/4 chance to kill the belcher.

That exact outcome or better is 1/3 * 3/4 * 1/2 * 1/4 right?

If my math is right, that is a 3% chance of happening.

Dude didn't you enjoy the fun and unpredictability of RNG?

zoukka

That pirate deck feels pretty trashy and gimmicky. It's not consistent by any standards.

And my opponent just got a steamwheedle sniper from his shredder... and he was hunter. This game is bullshit. I hope this game dies competetively so Blizz needs to rethink the whole concept.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I'm transforming into Yoshi. This game fucking sucks.

Arena has been equalized into endless facemode trials where the first one to miss a drop on curve loses 100% of the time. Constructed has been equalized with too great of value minions you have to play that have heavy RNG built to them making every game a series of coin flips and the only thing you need to think about is to eliminate the worst case scenarios.

All this to appease babies who cannot come to terms when their opponent mops the floor with them. They need to be able to think it was the RNG that made them lose (and often it is!). Fucking blizzard and I even defended their f2p models of this game but now I see where they want to take this game and it's RNG hell. I'm done.

Such a divergent view from my own - I've never played better, and it's definitely not all facerace. I forget, are you on EU or something?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I haven't played an arena in a week or two but has something notably changed there?

I was doing all board control up front with GvG and it was working fine.

johnsmith

remember me
Board control is still the name of the game. Most arena games end with one player at near full health because they kept control from turn 1. I'm at 9 wins with my current mage run with very low curve and lots of card draw, no flamestrikes, only 1 fireball, but tons of good creatures. My mage run before this ended up at 1-3 despite having 2 flamestrikes, and that legendary that gives you leper gnomes, but a crap early game.

Ken

Thinking about jumping back into this game again instead of waiting for PSN to come back. How is the Nax thing and how do mechs fit into the game? They seem pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom