• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

Looks like the expansion changed nothing. I am still absolutely incapable of winning despite all odds.

Study how others beat you. That has helped me more than tutorial or spectating. And know your hero's strengths. They often appear to count for little, but when it comes down to the wire they can mean everything. For example a shaman's totems might seem stupid and a waste of time/mana. But if an opponent allows you to stack your ranks with them you can draw on a card that gains attack/health depending upon how many units/cards are on your field. Watching an opponent draw a few 8/8+ minions during the climax of a battle is humbling. Or a mage to wipe out your array of taunts with a well-placed flamestrike then proceed to beat the shit out of you when you were in a commanding lead.

Triz

My 8 year old got an iPad from me for Christmas. Much to my delight the first game she wanted to download was hearthstone. She managed to beat all the ai and went right to the arena. Her first draft and run went 3-3. I'm a proud daddy.

Special C

Webspinner got a big buff with the release of GvG.

These were the beasts that were added.

Gahz'rilla
King of Beasts
Malorne
Lost Tallstrider

So you add 2 Legendaries, A reverse yeti, and an OK card, and dilute the pool that includes Angry Chicken, Captian's Parrot, Silverback Patriarch, Dragonhawk, and Stonetusk Boar.

Much better chance to get a good card now.

Hylian7

So my daily is to cast 40 spells. I'm so close to havign money for Arena, so I made a deck ot take to casual just to spam spells.

sKLJYUk.png

If I win even a single I will literally be on the floor laughing.

I'm considering getting an ipad just to have a portable version of this game. How does it run on an air (the old air, not air 2). Does the game run at 60fps? I know framerate isn't hugely important for a card game but I'm so used to the pc version I'd find it distracting if the game didnt run perfectly.

sgjackson

currently 10-0 with this affront to curve. last 4 cards are spectral knight, guardian of kings, ravenholdt assassin, and force-tank max.

0rrL5BY.png

i'm pretty new to taking arena seriously, does "a shitload of all the value paladin 4-drops" outweigh "godawful curve" this much

Raytow

I'm considering getting an ipad just to have a portable version of this game. How does it run on an air (the old air, not air 2). Does the game run at 60fps? I know framerate isn't hugely important for a card game but I'm so used to the pc version I'd find it distracting if the game didnt run perfectly.
Can't play hs on anything but and ipad, dunno about fps but the ipad 2 mini runs it perfectly, since air is actually a bit better than it you should have no problem whatsoever.

Hylian7

Whew, that was a hell of a match I got out of. I recently built a new mage deck and was playing it ranked, and was on a 2 game win streak with it.

Then I faced this Warlock. I saw Fuegen, Stalagg, Kel'Thuzad, and Lord Jaraxxus all in the same match. It certainly made me nervous, especially since I had never seen Lord Jaraxxus and had no idea there was even a card like that.

I managed to deal with all of it though. Polymorphs, freezes, mirror images, and more got me through it. Shit really came down to the wire when I saw Jaraxxus. He was running out of cards in his deck though. The turn after he played Jaraxxus, he ran out, and was at 3 HP before the replacement. Fatigue was getting him every turn. I popped a mirror image, froze one of his internals, and held out, getting occasional hits in. Then he was down to 3 HP, already talking 3 fatigue damage. I pinged him, pressed end turn, and it was over on his draw.

sgjackson

3 Consecration and 2 Truesilvers go a long way. But yeah your curve looks like a 1-3 run without those consecrations.

i definitely feel like i'm getting lucky - there hasn't been a game where i've been so behind on board that it's felt insurmountable by turn 4, which definitely should have happened by now. when i get the coin i've been keeping two fours and hoping for the best with reasonable success going hero power>coin 4>4, and when i've gone first i've gotten pretty lucky in terms of drawing zombie chow/knife juggler. once turn 4 hits they're dead because it's basically braindead card advantage autopilot.

my draft picks are here, curious if you guys would have done anything differently

zoukka

2-2, opponent plays 4 hexes, 2 fire ellies and tops it off with a few giants :D

My deck consists of glaivezookas and crappy neutrals.

Minsc

Gold Member
Tired of losing games to Dr Boom, so no choice but to craft my own, was hoping to save up for a golden legendary, but alas. 1600 dust basically can't be better invested at this point, unless you're just starting out.

NBtoaster

My arena winrate has increased a lot recently. And I'm not even a face guy :p Used to be all 3 or less wins, now I get around 6 most of the time.

Slashlen

Tired of losing games to Dr Boom, so no choice but to craft my own, was hoping to save up for a golden legendary, but alas. 1600 dust basically can't be better invested at this point, unless you're just starting out.

I've been hoarding my dust for some future date where I can use it to craft the last few cards, but I'm thinking of crafting Boom anyway, especially since a nerf seems inevitable at this point.

Speaking as an MvC3 player, I do like how Dr Doom is still a cookie cutter 'include in almost everything' character in HS. :)

He really should have a more interesting quote when being summoned. "You have angered Boom!"

Ashodin

I too sadly was forced into this as well. Shame they had to make such a universally amazing card.

Minsc I demand the thread renamed "Boom Town"

You could just include 2x BGH in your deck. BGH get a lot of targets when Doom is heavily used... granted the stupid bombs will sometimes kill the BGH. It also gives you a very strong edge against handlock which occasionally appears and beats everything down til it is hard countered.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If I put Enhance-o Mechano on the board with a minion that already has taunt, does it ignore the taunt roll completely? Does it only give me windfury/bubble?

Desaan

If I put Enhance-o Mechano on the board with a minion that already has taunt, does it ignore the taunt roll completely? Does it only give me windfury/bubble?

It can just put taunt on something that already has taunt, same with divine shield and windfury.

boIO6jD.png

Got a GvG pack for Arena...and I got this shit...
Glaivezooka is actually a pretty good Hunter card, it might take you a long way. Cobra shot is garbage, though.
General question. What's the win cutoff for arena being more valuable than just straight buying a pack for your gold?
It's random so nothing is guaranteed, but the general consensus is 3+ wins for 50 gold rewards so it's worth more than buying a pack, and 7+ wins in order to make more than 150 gold to make back the cost of the arena.

If you dislike Arena then there's no reason to really play it. Even if it's more gold-efficient with minimal effort, it's extremely time-inefficient if you don't like the mode.

Anteo

I finally get this game
I was facing a Shaman and on turn 10+ I had Ysera on my hand, I wanted to play it so bad but I knew he only played one Hex so I held off, he tried to clean my board again and again and even used a spell on a Northshire Cleric to stop it from giving me cards. A second Northshire Cleric got buffed and was surviving AoE's due to her hp, so he was like "stop it" and hexed it. I inmediatly played the Ysera and it was a win. He realized after 2 turns he could not deal with it and gave up.
My priest deck is so bad, like my win condition is "Pray Ysera survives" and/or "Mind control something" and/or "Pray you get a finisher from Thoughtsteal"

Here is my first shot at a mech warrior burn deck:

burn_mech_warrior.png

Not sure about a couple of the cards and I don't have each card so I can't even test this deck out. It might be appropriate to run death's bite and arcane reaper as well. But I think ogre warmaul is pretty good too. Iron juggernaut might not make the final cut.

edit: boo, I can't even make a budget version. I don't have any screwjanks yet. 0 Crushes as well. No iron juggernaut.

I finally get this game
I was facing a Shaman and on turn 10+ I had Ysera on my hand, I wanted to play it so bad but I knew he only played one Hex so I held off, he tried to clean my board again and again and even used a spell on a Northshire Cleric to stop it from giving me cards. A second Northshire Cleric got buffed and was surviving AoE's due to her hp, so he was like "stop it" and hexed it. I inmediatly played the Ysera and it was a win. He realized after 2 turns he could not deal with it and gave up.
My priest deck is so bad, like my win condition is "Pray Ysera survives" and/or "Mind control something" and/or "Pray you get a finisher from Thoughtsteal"

Yup, anticipating and baiting out hard removal like Hex is a pretty important skill. Equally important is when you have to take a risk and play ysera and hope he doesn't have hex. Identifying when you have a very low chance to win without taking a risk is something that you pick up on over time, especially because you might even be ahead when you take that risk.

It is also very satisfying when your risk management pays off in the end.

caesar

Banned
I finally get this game

Sounds like your average Priest deck.

johnsmith

remember me
You get fucked so hard going first in arena. Everybody ALWAYS coins a 2 drop and you get screwed on board control from turn .1

And fuck's velen's chosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom