• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
I'm about to go 0-3 because of that shit, plus an obscene shaman opening with flametongue totem, hogboblin, and one of those shitty 1/4 mechs. Just conceded at almost full health on turn 4. I was facing a 5/6 taunt.

1-3. This game screws you so bad sometimes. All games were decided by turn 3. The only game I won was where i had the coin.

Raxus

I'm about to go 0-3 because of that shit, plus an obscene shaman opening with flametongue totem, hogboblin, and one of those shitty 1/4 mechs. Just conceded at almost full health on turn 4. I was facing a 5/6 taunt.

1-3. This game screws you so bad sometimes. All games were decided by turn 3. The only game I won was where i had the coin.

Further proof that if you don't have enough strong turn 1-2 plays you may need to rethink your deck.

johnsmith

remember me
Turn 2 isn't enough. I never missed having a 2 drop in all 4 games. Zombie chow is the best card in arena. Period. No small coincidence that my last 12 win run was stacked with 1 drops. Drafting 2 zombie chows guarantees 7 wins minimum.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You get fucked so hard going first in arena. Everybody ALWAYS coins a 2 drop and you get screwed on board control from turn .1

Hyperbole much? When your opponent can't coin a 2 drop (which they don't always do, you're exaggerating), then that means you can always play your 2 drop before their 2 drop, and you have priority on dropping higher mana minions before they do. So your 3 drop will come before their 3 drop, and your 4 drop will come before their 4, etc etc.

Going second is only good whenever your curve is busted, like your hand is 2, 4, 4 or something. Or you're a rogue.

Finally got one of those stupid owls!!! Now I don't have to blow 4 mana on a silence anymore.

Owl is so much easier to deal with, especially as a rogue/mage/druid. Most classes can easily deal 1 damage without card loss. Spellbreaker actually requires resource commitment beyond mana.

So it really depends on your deck which is better. Also which one fits your curve better.

johnsmith

remember me
Hyperbole much? When your opponent can't coin a 2 drop (which they don't always do, you're exaggerating), then that means you can always play your 2 drop before their 2 drop, and you have priority on dropping higher mana minions before they do. So your 3 drop will come before their 3 drop, and your 4 drop will come before their 4, etc etc.

Going second is only good whenever your curve is busted, like your hand is 2, 4, 4 or something. Or you're a rogue.

The real advantage isn't going first or 2nd but who plays their first minion since you get more options on when to trade and when to not, or when to use removal or when to not. And even if you do trade, you also get the opportunity to hit face more often. A small advantage usually steamrolls into a huge one, and games will end with one person near their max health. Evenly matched beatdowns are the minority in my games. It's usually a blow out for one person or the other. (me usually, but it's infuriating getting a 1-3 after multiple +7 runs)

Whoever designed this card needs to die in a fire. They've gotten legendaries the last 4 times this card's been played against me.
QyJAXCt.png

ZealousD

The real advantage isn't going first or 2nd but who plays their first minion since you get more options on when to trade and when to not, or when to use removal or when to not. And even if you do trade, you also get the opportunity to hit face more often. A small advantage usually steamrolls into a huge one, and games will end with one person near their max health. Evenly matched beatdowns are the minority in my games. It's usually a blow out for one person or the other.

Exactly. And when you go first, you are much more likely to drop the first minion. People don't even coin out a 2-drop as much as you think they do.

johnsmith

remember me
Exactly. And when you go first, you are much more likely to drop the first minion. People don't even coin out a 2-drop as much as you think they do.

No. Most people don't draft a lot of 1 drops. Most people will draft tons of 2 drops, going 2nd lets you drop one first.

ZealousD

No. Most people don't draft a lot of 1 drops. Most people will draft tons of 2 drops, going 2nd lets you drop one first.

People generally won't coin out a 2 drop unless they have another 2 drop in their hand. I never coin out a 2 drop unless I have both another 2 drop AND a 3 drop. Coining out a 2 drop without a following play on Turn 2 or Turn 3 is generally bad because then you can't do something like coin out a 4 drop. 2 drops often end up trading with each other and being forced to hero power before Turn 5 is really bad.

johnsmith

remember me
People generally won't coin out a 2 drop unless they have another 2 drop in their hand. I never coin out a 2 drop unless I have both another 2 drop AND a 3 drop. Coining out a 2 drop without a following play on Turn 2 or Turn 3 is generally bad because then you can't do something like coin out a 4 drop. 2 drops often end up trading with each other and being forced to hero power before Turn 5 is really bad.

Most people in my games do coin out a 2 drop turn 1, and they will have either removal or a 2nd 2 drop ready to go. Maybe you won't see this at games 1-3, but beyond that every opponent will have a perfect curve for turns 1-4. When they dont, it means I won.

ZealousD

Most people in my games do coin out a 2 drop turn 1, and they will have either removal or a 2nd 2 drop ready to go. Maybe you won't see this at games 1-3, but beyond that every opponent will have a perfect curve for turns 1-4. When they dont, it means I won.

You're exaggerating. Don't try to imply that I don't break 3 wins because I absolutely do. I went 11 wins just today and I probably average about 6 wins or so. Not everybody has a perfect 2, 2, 3, 4 curve past 3 wins. In fact I'm much more likely to have 2, 4, 4, then that, and in those cases I'd much rather use the coin for my Turn 3 play.

Edit: ArenaMastery stats show that going first gives you 5.28% better chances of winning since the release of GvG.

http://www.arenamastery.com/sitewide.php?date=26

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jeez, got 7 GvG packs and managed to snag Iron Juggernaut and Gazlowe.

I should probably focus on classic more since I'm missing a ton, though I was hoping I'd luck out and get Dr. Boom.

Avinexus

Whoever designed this card needs to die in a fire. They've gotten legendaries the last 4 times this card's been played against me.
QyJAXCt.png

I think the math works out to ~18% chance to get a legendary from it (according to a reddit thread I saw). Every time it has been used against me it has been a legendary.

ZealousD

I saw two unstable portals in arena today and they got abusive sergeant and coldlight seer.

So, no, they don't get legendaries every time.

So I have lethal next turn and this asshole has the game glitched so that the fuse can't count all the way down. Been sitting here for 20 minutes. Anyway around this? It's a matter of principal at this point.

ZealousD

Nobody has invented any hacks that screw with the rules of the game yet. If the game starts acting screwy then you're having connection problems. You should immediately close out of Hearthstone and rejoin ASAP if that kind of thing starts happening.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I gave in and bought Naxx. This game will be the death of me like Dota. Yet I love it.

Yes give in to the dark side, soon you'll be buying 40 packs like it was nothing. Also unlike Dota each time you lose in Hearthstone you can only blame yourself
and your meager card collection and RNG

TheChaos0

I think the math works out to ~18% chance to get a legendary from it (according to a reddit thread I saw). Every time it has been used against me it has been a legendary.

I still believe all the cards that randomly summon minions should not have access to legendary pool. It makes the cards way too good, I'm looking at you webspinner and unstable portal. Unstable portal has amazing value. The game is too random enough as it is. Another option is for the percentages to be the same as if you open a pack.

@johnsmith Going first is almost always better. I know what you mean by people always coining a 2 drop but on the other hand they can't coin that shieldmasta on turn 4 now.

I has a good arena run today. 7-3 with a pally. Once again, I always do good with a pally. Maybe if I had a weapon or some aoe, I could have gone higher. Rng in this game is sometimes stupid. I had Sneeds, I traded it off, I needed anything but a one drop and I got Bloodmage. Thanks rng.

MVPs were shielded bots and heals. Those bots are simply amazing. Having 1 holy lights and heal bot saved me from face players in so many games. It is eapecially good when people start to ignore your minions just to do that extra damage and you play a heal or 2 and their whole tactics just falls apart.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LTTP and probably just me venting, but I feel like after Naxx and now Goblin that Deathrattle has just taken over. Not so much in full decks, but just by in large deathrattle cards are equal or better than similar cards of the same mana cost.

ZealousD

As Ashodin as my witness, my deck can be a makeshift rush deck that whoops Priest ass if I draw in the right order. lol

1Z6oYDF.png

I dunno man. I see a lot of juicy Cabal Shadow Priest targets in this deck. Especially with Shrinkmeister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom