• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

iirate

Yeah. Already did that. Only have 3 more classes to get to 10 including the shaman which is at 8. Almost there Lol.

Game is not so newbie friendly at this point. But hey, it's a CCG. Thats pretty par for the course.

I feel like people that complain about this game being pay-to-win aren't familiar with other CCGs. This is by far the cheapest and most accessible CCG I've ever seen. Play experience is a far larger barrier than card access.

Hylian7

Paladin challenge is legitimately awful. The deck they give you is so bad. I think Blizzard expected echoing ooze to be a bigger thing than it turned out to be.

Yeah that shit is literally impossible to beat. I have tried so many times, and gotten close a few times too. What is the reward card for it again?

garath

I feel like people that complain about this game being pay-to-win aren't familiar with other CCGs. This is by far the cheapest and most accessible CCG I've ever seen. Play experience is a far larger barrier than card access.

? I'm not complaining about the game being pay to win. That's the nature of CCGs. There is absolutely nothing different about hearthstone in that regard.

While it's accessible, it's still a CCG. The better cards will give you a huge advantage. Even only playing the game for a few weeks that's painfully obvious Hearthstone isn't any different there.

Game knowledge only gets you so far in ANY CCG.

gutshot

Yeah that shit is literally impossible to beat. I have tried so many times, and gotten close a few times too. What is the reward card for it again?

Avenge, a pretty good paladin secret.

At some point I have to get around to unlocking the last wing of Naxx. I keep spending all my gold on packs and arena runs though. The chance for playable epics and legendaries just holds more appeal then unlocking unplayable epics and legendaries, I guess.

Hylian7

At some point I have to get around to unlocking the last wing of Naxx. I keep spending all my gold on packs and arena runs though. The chance for playable epics and legendaries just holds more appeal then unlocking unplayable epics and legendaries, I guess.

Ughhh, I just want that stupid card....

Minsc

Gold Member
That additional +2/+2 buff to your undertakers as a Hunter when you play Dr Doom on turn 7 when they have less than 10 life left is just the epitome of overkill.

If I ever grind to legend, I imagine this will be the way to go.

Hylian7

Fuck Pyroblast. I had board control the entire game. He just face spammed spells and then had that bullshit card when I was at 10 and won the game.

Mecha_DING.png

This is my first mech paladin deck. So far it has lead to crazy matches. It's more of a midrangey control paladin. Still making adjustments (like I swapped out gelbin for piloted sky golem). Gelbin is cool though and this is more of a fun deck so far.

I had a match vs a paladin where I got cobalt on turn 5, coined clockwork gnome, and he proceeded to live for the next 4 turns, ultimately removing a silenced tirion before being equality + consecrate + weapon hit to be killed.

Then later gazlowe got me so much value cards... I got iron juggernaut, iron sensei, 2x mech yetis... I ended up winning off iron juggernauts bomb which was the icing on the cake.

It was hard to play cause I had so many just for fun options to cycle out of my brain and probably missed a couple options that might have been better than what I actually ended up doing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That additional +2/+2 buff to your undertakers as a Hunter when you play Dr Doom on turn 7 when they have less than 10 life left is just the epitome of overkill.

If I ever grind to legend, I imagine this will be the way to go.

Undertaker always finds new ways to be bullshit.

Just had a game where it was dropped with piloted sky golem. Killed it and it dropped anubar ambusher...which still triggers his buff.

iirate

? I'm not complaining about the game being pay to win. That's the nature of CCGs. There is absolutely nothing different about hearthstone in that regard.

While it's accessible, it's still a CCG. The better cards will give you a huge advantage. Even only playing the game for a few weeks that's painfully obvious Hearthstone isn't any different there.

Game knowledge only gets you so far in ANY CCG.

Sorry, I just meant to add to what you said. I agree completely.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Lost my first game of arena to Mind Control Tech taking my strongest Minion :(

Third game I Mindvisinoed the enemies Deathwing. So I saw that move coming, bated it out, and then just Mind Controlled his.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fuck Pyroblast. I had board control the entire game. He just face spammed spells and then had that bullshit card when I was at 10 and won the game.

Was the mage doing things like freezing your minions in place so that you couldn't attack?

caesar

Banned
I'be been bouncing back and forth between rank 4 and 5. The only way I've been able to take Handlocks is with face hunter and rushing them down. With control decks it seems impossible. I can't beat them with my control warrior. I honestly think with the addition of antique healbots that molten giant should go up to 25 mana. I think it's bullshit they can drop a couple of those things then heal up to full life next turn.

Eh? Handlocks get rekt by warrior atm. Stop mulliganing exclusively for zoo and put bgh in your deck.

Raxus

Was the mage doing things like freezing your minions in place so that you couldn't attack?

Sounds like textbook freeze mage.

It is strange since Warriors now crush freeze mage it is so rare to see them. Most of the mages I fought just gave up early.

ZealousD

Sounds like textbook freeze mage.

Yeah I wasn't sure if that's what he was facing or not which is why I was asking the question. Freeze Mage plays by fundamentally different rules, so new players might be surprised whenever a Mage can't establish a board and then you just die to a million spells to the face.

Eh? Handlocks get rekt by warrior atm. Stop mulliganing exclusively for zoo and put bgh in your deck.

I have BGH but that only takes care of one of their guys when I draw it. So I obviously don't know how to play this deck against Handlocks.

I'm using Sjow's Control Warrior atm.

And this is the handlock I'm usually seeing.

So I have shield slam x 2, execute x 2, BGH and brawl for removal. When they drop Twilight Drake, I'm not sure what's the best way to remove it? I usually shield slam or execute it depending on what I have. I'd rather save those for mountain and molten giants since I know they're coming but what else can you play on turn 4?

Dr. Boom, Alextrasza and Rag all just get Siphoned Soul'ed or BGH'ed when I drop them. Then if I do get their health down it's just healbots or Jaraxus right back up.

I'm seriously lost in this match up. What's the gameplan everyone else uses? Or is there a better control deck?

I have BGH but that only takes care of one of their guys when I draw it. So I obviously don't know how to play this deck against Handlocks.

So I have shield slam x 2, execute x 2, BGH and brawl for removal. When they drop Twilight Drake, I'm not sure what's the best way to remove it? I usually shield slam or execute it depending on what I have. I'd rather save those for mountain and molten giants since I know they're coming but what else can you play on turn 4?

Dr. Boom, Alextrasza and Rag all just get Siphoned Soul'ed or BGH'ed when I drop them. Then if I do get their health down it's just healbots or Jaraxus right back up.

I'm seriously lost in this match up. What's the gameplan everyone else uses? Or is there a better control deck?

Drop a whirlwind and and add a second BGH. Gives you more breathing room when it comes to using your Shield Slams and Executes if you can't trade with the Drakes.

I usually only use Executes and Shield Slams as a last resort against the Drakes and their other minions. Don't be afraid if you have to because you will still have the tools to get past the Giants through effective trading and putting Rag and/or Sylvanas in the best position to do work on at least one of them. Try to keep Brawl as long as possible as well because they won't go overboard with flooding the board until you play that card and that allows you to manage the board better. And of course, do whatever you can to avoid allowing them to play the Molten Giants for free and save Harrison for Jaraxxus.

BashNasty

Try making your own control deck. Base it off concepts you know from other people's control decks and keep refining it until it's something you really enjoy playing. Best of all you'll have the satisfaction of getting wins of something that's completely you, rather than copied from someone else.

I realize that some may see the above paragraph as slightly condescending, but I've always been puzzled by the extreme prevalence of netdecks in Hearthstone (ok, obviously not all that puzzled, people typically enjoy winning far more than they enjoy being creative in games like these). Getting a win with a deck you copied online isn't really your win. Sure you still have to play the deck properly, but in most decks that just comes down to copying not just the deck, but also the strategy to play the deck. In a game like Starcraft, copying a build order and strategy still requires a shitload of manual dexterity and rapid-fire decision making, but in a game like Hearthstone, that element is far reduced. Because of that, I really feel the most rewarding way to play is to build something of your own and see how it stacks up to everyone else. Sure, most people are still going to be playing cookie-cutter handlocks or aggro hunters, but the feeling of victory against those decks is all the sweeter when you do it without stooping to their level.

caesar

Banned

You dont need a 2nd bgh, thats just overkill. I used the same deck as you this season for legend climb and beat handlocks on the reg. Here's what I do.

1. Keep harrison in your hand. Use for the instant win when he plays Jarraxus. Even if you discard 5 it doesn't matter. Only Grom matters.

2. Armor up, they wont be dropping jack until turn 4. Drop armorsmith and armor up, if you have a shield block you can use it turn 3.

3. If they drop a drake turn 4 you probably want to execute it. Try to not lose any armor in the process of killing it.

4. Mountain Giants can be dealt with by minions and bgh/slam.

5. Its fine to hold a 1 charge deaths bite for as long as you want. Handlocks dont run harrison and you seriously threaten lethal limiting their tapping options.

6. Try to burst them down from 14 life. Don't allow them to play free moltens, I know its tempting to take them from 15 to 4 but don't do it. Just concentrate on the board threats.

7. Save brawl for when theyre forced to put up a bunch of taunts if you can.

8. Dont rag face, save for a giant 50/50 or something.

9. Drop Shieldmaidens and Dr. Boom on empty board whenever you can. Theyre too big to ignore but a pain to siphon.

10. Draw as many cards from acolyte as possible, you need the answers as soon as you can. The easiest way to lose is to exhaust your hand too quickly.

Hope this helps.

zoukka

What's the hard counter to aggro/mech mage? That's all I'm seeing on ladder.

There is none. I've beaten it with aggro hunter but even that's not a sure win because blastmage can wreck your day alone. That card has no business being a 5/4...

Maybe good old fashioned taunt druid?

Rosenskjold

Ugh, control warrior is just such a disgusting deck. They have so much free armour they can just wait around until they have all the cards they need for their clear and then play all the best legendaries. Why are you rank 15 if you have legendaries that good ?

zoukka

People cry nerfs for Dr Boom while cards like Belcher and Shredder are in every fucking deck.

yay 10 wins with 2 Mana Wyrms. From this day onward I'm starting to draft 1-drops over bombs.

vI5u33u.png

I got this off of a Webspinner. Am I right in saying this card totally fucking sucks?

XvUmjWo.png

Edit: This is a fucking thing?!

Mukla is pretty decent in aggro decks. He's not great, but he's not a bad card either.

Sneed is above average for sure, but he's also slow and weaker to Silence.

Szadek

Try making your own control deck. Base it off concepts you know from other people's control decks and keep refining it until it's something you really enjoy playing. Best of all you'll have the satisfaction of getting wins of something that's completely you, rather than copied from someone else.

I realize that some may see the above paragraph as slightly condescending, but I've always been puzzled by the extreme prevalence of netdecks in Hearthstone (ok, obviously not all that puzzled, people typically enjoy winning far more than they enjoy being creative in games like these). Getting a win with a deck you copied online isn't really your win. Sure you still have to play the deck properly, but in most decks that just comes down to copying not just the deck, but also the strategy to play the deck. In a game like Starcraft, copying a build order and strategy still requires a shitload of manual dexterity and rapid-fire decision making, but in a game like Hearthstone, that element is far reduced. Because of that, I really feel the most rewarding way to play is to build something of your own and see how it stacks up to everyone else. Sure, most people are still going to be playing cookie-cutter handlocks or aggro hunters, but the feeling of victory against those decks is all the sweeter when you do it without stooping to their level.
Staments like this only come from people who will never make it very far.
It's not just about winning,it's about winning as often as possible.Every percent of winrate matters.
Orginal deck are not getting you anyway,unless you are really,really good,but chances aren't good enough.
You will either have to switch to something else or your deck will look more and more like the netdecks you apperenly dislike so much.
Mukla is pretty decent in aggro decks. He's not great, but he's not a bad card either.

Sneed is above average for sure, but he's also slow and weaker to Silence.
The biggest problem with sneed is slyannas,otherwise it would be good against control.
People cry nerfs for Dr Boom while cards like Belcher and Shredder are in every fucking deck.
Dr Boom is broken,the other 2 are just very good.

zoukka

Dr Boom is broken,the other 2 are just very good.

I would say Shredder is broken. Especially in arena. Belcher is in every deck so I don't know how that is not an op card. People are salty about Boom because he's a legendary and most people don't have the card. Nobody whines about commons and rares that are broken.

The biggest problem with sneed is slyannas,otherwise it would be good against control.

Sneeds problem is that he's just a fatter and slower Cairne and nobody plays Cairne anymore.

tootsi666

I would say Shredder is broken. Especially in arena. Belcher is in every deck so I don't know how that is not an op card. People are salty about Boom because he's a legendary and most people don't have the card. Nobody whines about commons and rares that are broken.
Yep. Dr. Boom is OP, but they really need to tweak Shredder and Belcher first.

zoukka

Yep. Dr. Boom is OP, but they really need to tweak Shredder and Belcher first.

And undertaker, and blastmage etc... but it's blizzards plan that the hero specific cards can be OP because they can balance it out with how the class plays.

Also if you guys want a new deck archetype that actually is top tier stuff then try Lifecoaches new warlock deck. It crushes the meta atm.

Szadek

Shredder is maybe a little bit too good,as in 1 point of attack or defence.
That doesn't mean Belcher is op.It's a sin'jin + footman for the mana cost of sin'jin + footman.Makes perfect sense to me.
I have Boom and I think it's too damn good.It's (more or less) a 9/9 deal 2-8 damage for 7.
No other cards is even remotely this good.

zoukka

Rag is an 8/8 deal 8 damage straight away. Though I admit Boom os better than rag because of the actual bot minions it summons. In any case legendaries are one offs and people already play double bgh for dr booms. The commons and rares are two offs and set the pace of the game earlier.

Minsc

Gold Member
Rag is an 8/8 deal 8 damage straight away. Though I admit Boom os better than rag because of the actual bot minions it summons. In any case legendaries are one offs and people already play double bgh for dr booms. The commons and rares are two offs and set the pace of the game earlier.

The problem with Rag is:

1), it's just 1 random effect, so Rag is worthless if they have a full board, where Doom is not
2) Rag dies even easier to BGH
3) Rag dies especially painfully to Faceless or another Rag... way more painfully than Doom does, as where faceless would give your opponent a 7/7 you could trade yours in to, now faceless gave your opponent a Rag that eliminated your Rag for free.
4) Rag hurts more when Mind Controlled.
5) Rag won't really help much vs aggro.

And to top it off, Rag actually costs more to play than Doom.

Granted there are some positive aspects for Rag over Doom, like it can get around taunt (if you're lucky), but overall Doom is just so much more versatile and easier to play. Playing Rag on an open board can be a big waste if you don't have a counter in your hand to Rag (see point 3), but Doom is basically never a bad play.

WTF? Kelthuzad is unplayable?

Didn't want to resort to bombarding customer support, but with the issue of not being able to 'accept' my rewards from arena and start a new one for two days now..i suppose I have to.

ZealousD

yay 10 wins with 2 Mana Wyrms. From this day onward I'm starting to draft 1-drops over bombs.

Belcher is strong but not overpowered, he only finds himself in every deck because the 5 slot is traditionally quite weak. If there were more good 5 drops he wouldn't be so prevalent.

johnsmith

remember me
I've never seen sneeds old shredder in constructed. The only gvg legendaries I've seen that didn't come from unstable portal or webspinner are dr boom and Vol'jin.

embalm

Belcher isn't broken it's just one of the best cards at slowing down face aggro decks. A 3/7 with taunt at 5 cost would be balanced and even better.

Sneed's is good, but the RNG on summoning a random legendary along with his weak initial stats can really make him annoying to play. Many legendaries have a strong battle cry or condition that needs to be met to make them useful. That's why I don't think Sneed is crazy powerful, his RNG keeps him in check.

Dr. Boom is in almost all of my decks. He combos with lots of different strategies and has no glaring weakness. A stat reduction or cost increase and he'll be fine, but right now he has too much going for him.
  • BGH - Leaves 2 bombs to clean up hunter and damage can kill another card, possible 2 for 1
  • Bombs can clean up minions that traded well allowing you to reclaim the board
  • 3 minions allows for bigger Buffs in token decks
  • 3 minion summon combos well with Sea Giant decks
  • Death Rattles combo well with Undertaker decks
  • 7/7 minion is strong enough to draw removal allowing higher cost plays to be made more safely

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The bombs should be random and deal their damage in ones, like Mad Bomber or Madder Bomber.

Boom.

Fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom