• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
How exactly? All 3 options are good. It's not like other RNG cards that can backfire or give you a lower value than their mana cost. With animal companion, every minion you can get gives you a huge value for its mana cost.

But they all do very different things. And if you need a specific minion you may not get it. Like getting Leokk on an empty board is pretty bad.

Been having fun with this mech-based warlock that I kinda put together on a whim:
JHYt86p.jpg

Played 8 games with it and lost 2. (went from R14 (??) to R12 5stars)

Fel Cannon:
>wrecks Paladins/Zoo/Face Hunters quite a bit since it gets a free kill vs any 1-2 health minions and can be ramped up with Mechwarpers, for which paladins don't really have a 1-3 mana answer to besides a minion + Seal of Light or Coghammer. You can usually throw out 1-2 other mechs for the ramp value before they get to kill it off as well.
>Belchers either die with 1 hit (Dark Bomb/Attack + end-turn ping) or gets their slime deathrattle pinged to death for free, assuming it gets played alone vs the cannon.

Power Overwhelming:
>Great finisher, can also be combo'ed with Shadowflame for a full Boardclear vs Deathrattle Minions, or to set up next turn lethal along with a board clear.

Hobgoblin:
>A gimmicky one-of tech card for your 6x 1 attack minions (Annoy-o-tron/Micro Machine/Demolisher). It does hinder your Fel Cannons so you generally don't want to play it until you get 1+ 1 attack minion to combo with.
>Still, a 4/4 Micro Machine (that can still grow), 3/4 Annoy-o-Tron and 3/6 Demolisher makes for really crazy board presence.

Arcane Nullifier X-21:
>Really bad against priest for obvious reasons (well, just Cabal Shadow Priest and Vol'jin). Pretty good against most other classes however:
-Mill Druid can't Naturalize/Swipe/Wrath
-Rogues can't Sap/Backstack/Evicerate
-Mages can't Fireball/Polymorph, and they can't Ping after Flamestrike
-Warlocks can't Siphon Soul/Dark Bomb/Implosion
-Hunters can't Hunter's Mark/Kill Command
-Shaman can't use any of their spells, even the famed Earth Shock that can deal with Twilight Drakes/Divine Shield minions.
-Warriors can't Shield Slam/Execute
-5HP means it doesn't auto die to Drakes/Truesilver/first charge of Death's Bite)
>Obvious Mech Synergy
>Only problem: Can't be used for PO or SF.

Dr. Boom:
>Probably the most-used Legendary in GvG, but still a really good one in this deck. While he technically hinders Fel Cannon's end-turn effect, you probably won't see him survive for one turn anyway, considering all the BGH and removals being run these days.
>Can be combo'ed with Hellfire the following turn (or same turn if you still have the coin) for a finisher, wiping most boards (aside from Handlock) while allowing you to potentially push for Leathal.
>The Bombs can also be used for the PO+SF combo for board wipe and are Mechs (synergy with Fel Cannon)

If you don't like the Hobgoblin/Demolisher stuff, you can probably take them out and replace them with something like 2x Spider Tank and 1x Mechanical Yeti/Enhance-o Mechano. Even KT could work if you think you can consistently set up a board for him.

Disclaimer: Probably not legend-worthy, but still very fun.

I have an interesting idea for a warlock deck in mind. It includes gazlowe so I don't know if it is just a for fun deck or if it actually works or not lol.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
So I'm thinking of dusting 2 of my 3 legendaries from GvG. One is Mogor the Ogre which is pretty self explanatory... I'll never use it. Trash card.

The other I'm considering is Troggzor. The card itself actually seems pretty good but I haven't tried it out yet. Everytime I need a powerful minion for 7 mana I always go with Dr Boom instead so not really seeing the point in keeping it around at the moment. What do you guys think. Dust or keep? Why?

Also if I dust these what legendary should I craft? Any other good/versatile ones in GvG? I'm still not caught up entirely. Classes I play the most are Paladin, Warlock and Mage. Least played classes are Shaman and Rogue. If none of the GvG cards will be worth it think I will just go with Sylvanas.

Don't dust troggzor, one of the best gvg legendaries currently being overshadowed by boom which is only slightly better and might get nerfed.

I think it's bad practice to DE legendaries that you aren't currently using unless they are utter garbage tier. They're so expensive to craft and you never know when one might get useful. I never thought I'd use greenskin, almost DEed him a few months ago, but now he's doing work in my paladin deck.

Don't dust troggzor, one of the best gvg legendaries currently being overshadowed by boom which is only slightly better and might get nerfed.

I think it's bad practice to DE legendaries that you aren't currently using unless they are utter garbage tier. They're so expensive to craft and you never know when one might get useful. I never thought I'd use greenskin, almost DEed him a few months ago, but now he's doing work in my paladin deck.

Pretty much sound advice.

I got a gold Hermet Nesingwary today, I'm pretty sure he won't be useful (6/3, "Battlecry: Destroy A Beast") so I decided to craft Harrison since he seems to be popular right now.

Question for you Magic the Gathering folks, is there a way to give your opponent minions? At the moment, HearthStone really only has Mukla and Iron Juggernaut, that I remember, which gives the other player cards. I just think it'd be cool if there was a way to give your opponent a 'bad' minion like Doomsayer or some such, since it would activate on their next turn the same way it would when it drops from a Shredder. However, outside of Doomsayer, I can't think of any other minion you'd actually want to give to your foe.

Just curious if it's been done before, chances look like probably so.

Very weird, my mortal coil was showing up as 0 mana for some reason. No millhouse or anything weird like that either.

edit:
Oh apparently some big desync happened. When I reconnected my opponent had played millhouse off unstable portal I guess... even though the 0 mana showed up the turn prior.

Question for you Magic the Gathering folks, is there a way to give your opponent minions? At the moment, HearthStone really only has Mukla and Iron Juggernaut, that I remember, which gives the other player cards. I just think it'd be cool if there was a way to give your opponent a 'bad' minion like Doomsayer or some such, since it would activate on their next turn the same way it would when it drops from a Shredder. However, outside of Doomsayer, I can't think of any other minion you'd actually want to give to your foe.

Just curious if it's been done before, chances look like probably so.
Dreadlord, but that is minions from their own deck. You can put mind control tech in the same deck to exploit this, but its pretty meh as far as combos go.

So...i love this game, or at least i love ccgs in general. Love the deckbuilding aspect mainly.

But after playing this game for a month at a time 3 or 4 times now, i end up getting to a point where every game makes me frustrated beyond the frustration level of any other game i've ever played. I'm at that point again and will have to take a month or two break...

Three main reasons for the anger, i think, in comparison to other games:
1- The RNG can be enraging, especially in arena.
2- There are very few ways to counter all-out aggro strategies effectively.
3- The netdecks. I realize that not everyone enjoys the deckbuilding aspect, but because (2) exists and there are not effective ways to combat some strategies, it detracts even more from the deckbuilding, as everyone just copies what is currently "the best deck".

I just had a long ass game with my joke warlock deck vs control warrior. I bait out every single removal. I got a fel reaver off gazlowe and I play it as my second to last card. Then I drop malganis when he only has an armorsmith... then he top decks sylvanas...

edit:
Also pretty stupid was when I was about to make gazlowe go crazy with value... my pilotted shredder dropped lorewalker cho...

Anyway, this deck is like playing a 40 card deck. I run 4 1cc - 2x mortal coil and 2x power overwhelming. Then I run clockworm gnome and tinkertown technician. That is 8 potential spells to proc off gazlowe. Then sometimes you get clockworm gnome off gazlowe which is just more fuel for gazlowe.

This deck has some burst options but it is really geared to go to fatigue since I can just get so many extra cards in the deck. On the other hand, if I draw more cards from my deck than my opponent I hit fatigue earlier. But malganis prevents fatigue damage so that is my trump card in those situations.

So far 3-3 in casual. Not meant to be a serious deck:

Hearthstone_Screenshot_12_31_2014_14_51_05.png

Also I am not entirely sure if fel cannon is even worth a card slot. Generally hasn't been an amazing performer but somewhat due to slight misplays. For example, pilotted shredder cuts against it after it dies cause it most likely will summon a non-mech minion. Maybe that can be addressed.

The other thing I want to experiment, but can't, is junkbot. I don't have the card yet. You could probably get some huge junkbot value in this deck.

Hylian7

So did I make the right decision with the Beast?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So did I make the right decision with the Beast?

The main thing to keep in mind with disenchanment is that it's inefficient if something ever comes out in the future and you want it back, but it accelerates you getting things you want now.

However, the things you want now aren't guaranteed to be good in the future either. Someone could have feasibly disenchanted an Archmage Antonidas for a Cairne Bloodhoof and now be pretty sad.

ZealousD

I think the Beast is always going to be a bad card. I mean, is the extra 3 attack really worth the deathrattle? And it's extra level bad against BGH, which is a card that will ALWAYS exist in the meta. I think its worse than boulderfist ogre for sure, nevermind the better 6 drops like Sylvanas, Cairne, or Piloted Sky Golem. Not even in hunter.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yes, there are some cards that are likely to always be junk.

I just think the core principle though is the thing to keep in mind before deciding to junk something and also when deciding what to buy with it if you do.

ZealousD

Yes, there are some cards that are likely to always be junk.

I just think the core principle though is the thing to keep in mind before deciding to junk something and also when deciding what to buy with it if you do.

Yeah I only junk absoluye garbage tier legendaries. Milhouse. Nozdormu. The like. Even the below average legendaries I tend to keep. Tinkmaster. Pagle. Greenskin. Velen.

I think the Beast is always going to be a bad card. I mean, is the extra 3 attack really worth the deathrattle? And it's extra level bad against BGH, which is a card that will ALWAYS exist in the meta. I think its worse than boulderfist ogre for sure, nevermind the better 6 drops like Sylvanas, Cairne, or Piloted Sky Golem. Not even in hunter.

3 attack and beast tag though. Plus if you can make the deathrattle a positive, it might be good card. They'll need to add more cards that are buffed by your opponent board size but currently there is MCT + UTH.

I think it is possible for the beast to be playable. Just not likely and that makes it safe to DE without even much thought about it.

Imagine if they had this card "destroy friendly beast, deal damage equal to its attack". Then you play something like "deal 2 damage for each enemy minion". Who knows what kinda cards they'll have over the next 5+ years.

ZealousD

Imagine if they had this card "destroy friendly beast, deal damage equal to its attack". Then you play something like "deal 2 damage for each enemy minion". Who knows what kinda cards they'll have over the next 5+ years.

That sounds gimmicky and wouldn't really work. Its the same reason Illidan doesnt find himself in demonlock decks despite the fact that voidcaller is a thing. On his own, he's a bad card, or at least below average.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Something that caused battlecries to not fire off might make an interesting combo with things like Milhouse or Mukla, but what are the odds of such a thing existing in an effective manner?

It's a bit of a probability game in the end, so ultimately it might make the most sense to make the decisions that make the game more fun for you.

Minsc

Gold Member

That Piloted Shredder RNG lol. Armorsmith + Unstable Ghoul rescues me from defeat!

I think I got up to around 10 armor in that match haha, didn't get to play Boom before winning though.

That sounds gimmicky and wouldn't really work. Its the same reason Illidan doesnt find himself in demonlock decks despite the fact that voidcaller is a thing. On his own, he's a bad card, or at least below average.

It is just an example after all. But that is 20 damage on its own. You attack with the beast, then blow it up, then use the last card and you get 2 damage per minion and you have 1 from the beast already.

If it fits into other strategies, like a MCT or UTH like strategy, it isn't so much gimmicky but part of a longer term strategy.

Keep in mind it is just a theoretical strategy where perhaps the beast fits best making him playable in that sort of deck.

Basically a strategy that attempts to fill your opponents board with weak minions, I think is possible. Sorta like amaz's version of deathknight.

That Piloted Shredder RNG lol. Armorsmith + Unstable Ghoul rescues me from defeat!

I think I got up to around 10 armor in that match haha, didn't get to play Boom before winning though.

I wonder what the odds of getting a taunt off shredder is. Could be useful knowledge.

styl3s

How is the state of the game now? I quit before NAXX for the lack of deck diversity and the fact that the game felt more like poker and not magic the gathering. Also, with NAXX, do you to beat heroic to unlock all the cards? Or just the normal bosses? Been watching some streams and stuff and it looks more interesting but just wondering before i throw a ball of money at my bnet account.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How is the state of the game now? I quit before NAXX for the lack of deck diversity and the fact that the game felt more like poker and not magic the gathering. Also, with NAXX, do you to beat heroic to unlock all the cards? Or just the normal bosses? Been watching some streams and stuff and it looks more interesting but just wondering before i throw a ball of money at my bnet account.

They tried to address the 3+ month stagnant meta between new cards by adding in strong RNG cards that cause the match to go differently even if everyone plays the same cards.

The response has been varied all the way from loving it to hating it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yes, I think the sheer number of cards allows for many classes to at least have two builds now instead of everything polarizing to one.

I feel there are less classes that seem entirely unviable too.

I think SolForge takes that crown though as you discard your hand each turn making it notably harder to plan ahead.

Sorta. But you also draw 5 cards every turn and you see like 2/3rds your deck every four turns. And since the cards you played level up, you can kinda predict what your opponent is going to play over the course of the game since you generally want to play higher level cards as the game progresses.

I think solforge seems very random on its surface because of that fact that you draw 5 random cards each turn and then the ones you don't play are set aside (isn't even technically accurate to say discarded). But the way the game plays out is perhaps even more consistent than hearthstone. Even deckbuilding you could limit yourself to 10 sets of 3 cards as opposed to 15 sets of 2 in hearthstone.

There are some RNG cards, where the cards have RNG built in, but really not as many as hearthstone by a mile I think.

I used to play solforge quite consistently before I got into the hearthstone beta. I never got good at the game though.

NBtoaster

I've been ranking up pretty quickly with this simple Druid combo deck.
kyRhUWf.png

You just play sticky minions they can't clear, and on turn 9 (or 7) they die to the combo. It's not a new concept but it's better than ever in GvG. The Dark Whispers used to be a Sneeds (which was too slow) and it's actually been pretty useful when I've used it. Nothing like bursting a Priest down from 23 health.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sorta. But you also draw 5 cards every turn and you see like 2/3rds your deck every four turns. And since the cards you played level up, you can kinda predict what your opponent is going to play over the course of the game since you generally want to play higher level cards as the game progresses.

I think solforge seems very random on its surface because of that fact that you draw 5 random cards each turn and then the ones you don't play are set aside (isn't even technically accurate to say discarded). But the way the game plays out is perhaps even more consistent than hearthstone. Even deckbuilding you could limit yourself to 10 sets of 3 cards as opposed to 15 sets of 2 in hearthstone.

There are some RNG cards, where the cards have RNG built in, but really not as many as hearthstone by a mile I think.

I used to play solforge quite consistently before I got into the hearthstone beta. I never got good at the game though.
You could get things to be more consistent, or even just make sure basically anything you pull will be at least somewhat useful, but I feel the big kicker was that you couldn't predict when the level 2s or level 3s would show up despite leveling up, since you could still draw a hand of all level 1s and then get devastated by someone pulling out two leveled up cards consistently.

I mean you can definitely get card screwed in Hearthstone, but that always felt like a much more present threat when I was playing SolForge.

I don't know if they tweaked anything since then (I backed the project but I mainly played the beta and shortly after launch), but that seemed to make most of my games pretty lopsided if the opponents were relatively equal otherwise.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Woah hearthstone has fucking queues now, i guess that means the game is getting more popular or something because today is the first time i see the queue message.

You could get things to be more consistent, or even just make sure basically anything you pull will be at least somewhat useful, but I feel the big kicker was that you couldn't predict when the level 2s or level 3s would show up despite leveling up, since you could still draw a hand of all level 1s and then get devastated by someone pulling out two leveled up cards consistently.

I mean you can definitely get card screwed in Hearthstone, but that always felt like a much more present threat when I was playing SolForge.

I don't know if they tweaked anything since then (I backed the project but I mainly played the beta and shortly after launch), but that seemed to make most of my games pretty lopsided if the opponents were relatively equal otherwise.

I definitely agree about level 2 where your opponent can get lucky and drop 2 big fatties while all you have are level 1s, even level 1s that are good in level 2 are gonna be dwarfed by most level 2 minions. I guess this is where proper deck building and strategy really comes in since I know you can recover from those situations as it has happened to me where I thought I was far ahead but then come level 3 my opponent had much more level 2 cards than I had and had much stronger plays.

Solforge is actually still in open beta according to steam btw. Funny cause they've had 2 expansions so far lol. They have added a proper match making system last I played which was about a year ago. Since then they've added both constructed and draft tournaments. I've played and I like the draft tournament.

ViviOggi

I have gotten to rank 14 with this cheap zoo deck:
_20141231_194414.JPG
Zoo gonna Zoo

Next up: replace Sunfury with Argus and the Infernals with Doomguards. The two Oozes and a single Annoy-o-tron are debatable as well, but that depends on your card situation. Since you have Naxx I'd consider Echoing Ooze.

EDIT HOLY FUCK KIRBS WHERE ARE YOUR UNDERTAKERS

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Zoo gonna Zoo

Next up: replace Sunfury with Argus and the Infernals with Doomguards. The two Oozes and a single Annoy-o-tron are debatable as well, but that depends on your card situation. Since you have Naxx I'd consider Echoing Ooze.

EDIT HOLY FUCK KIRBS WHERE ARE YOUR UNDERTAKERS
I haven't beat patchwork yet ;-;

ZealousD

I have gotten to rank 14 with this cheap zoo deck:[/img]

I'm guessing you're using the Dread Infernals because you don't have Doomguards? Honestly it's not so much about having a big threat as much that Doomguards are a guaranteed 5 damage charger and the discard doesn't matter when your hand is gone. I think they're not replaceable in the sense of using something with relatively equal mana instead of them. Especially not with Dread Infernal, where the battlecry is a liability for you more than a benefit. Honestly if you really want a big threat, Boulderfist Ogre is probably better.

Also Sunfury is a bad swap for Defender of Argus. It's run less because the taunt, and more about the stat boost. Shattered Sun Cleric is the better swap.

Sub the Swamp Oozes for Undertaker. You should really have Undertaker in your deck.

Annoy-o-tron doesn't fit. It's a stall card, and zoo shouldn't be stalling. It's really only good when buffed. And if you want a divine shield card to buff in zoo, argent squire is probably better. But then you aren't running argus, so that's still less good.

Special C

Speaking of Zoo who has taken soulfires out of their zoo decks? I traded mine for Annoy-Trons. I also added an Imp-losion and one Enchanco Mechano. I actually like not having the soulfire because you don't get as many hands with 2 plus soulfires and doomguards.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just started a paladin arena draft and my first pick is a legendary. Toshley, Loatheb, or Deathwing.

Any ideas? I haven't really seen Toshley at all especially. Not sure how Loatheb is in arena either.

gutshot

I just started a paladin arena draft and my first pick is a legendary. Toshley, Loatheb, or Deathwing.

Any ideas? I haven't really seen Toshley at all especially. Not sure how Loatheb is in arena either.

Toshley is the safe choice. Decent stats and the spare parts can sometimes be useful.

Spells are more scarce in arena, so Loatheb typically just ends up a vanilla 5/5. Not terrible, but not particularly exciting either.

Deathwing is total YOLO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom