• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
I was averaging 130 gold per arena post gvg during my big post release arena bender, so it's still better to do arena. Just keep track of your stats to see if you're good enough for it to be worth it.

JesseZao

I was averaging 130 gold per arena post gvg during my big post release arena bender, so it's still better to do arena. Just keep track of your stats to see if you're good enough for it to be worth it.

I'm at the point where I just enjoy constructed more, so I don't care.

Special C

I have a hard time putting Harrison in over TBK. There aren't enough slots for both and I feel like I see Taunts more than Weapons.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Was having a decent Shaman arena, got up to 5-0 and got swamped to 5-2.

Then I was put against a mage. Turn 5 they played mad scientist and annoy-o-tron. My turn 6 I played fire ele and hit the mad scientist...who died, played a secret and after a delay the secret triggered as mirror entity and he got his own fire ele. what

Of course after that was goblin blast mage, 3 hits on my fire ele perfect for a ping + annoy-o-tron hit and it all snowballed to hell from there. But I had no idea the mad scientist would have worked like that.

I'm guessing the logic behind it is the battlecry happens before the minion is considered played, mad scientist died and the deathrattle was figured out, THEN it considered the fire ele in "play" and was then copied. But isn't that...wrong? Like, if you do the same turn against a weakened sylvannas her deathrattle will still trigger after the play and take your minion(which makes sense). Confused the hell out of me.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

Then I was put against a mage. Turn 5 they played mad scientist and annoy-o-tron. My turn 6 I played fire ele and hit the mad scientist...who died, played a secret and after a delay the secret triggered as mirror entity and he got his own fire ele. what

Of course after that was goblin blast mage, 3 hits on my fire ele perfect for a ping + annoy-o-tron hit and it all snowballed to hell from there. But I had no idea the mad scientist would have worked like that.

I'm guessing the logic behind it is the battlecry happens before the minion is considered played, mad scientist died and the deathrattle was figured out, THEN it considered the fire ele in "play" and was then copied. But isn't that...wrong? Like, if you do the same turn against a weakened sylvannas her deathrattle will still trigger after the play and take your minion(which makes sense). Confused the hell out of me.

That sounds horrifically broken.

That sounds like exactly what I would expect to happen based on what I've seen of Battlecry/Deathrattle/Secret interaction, but it is still so, so stupid and Blizzard really needs to clearly look into and fix how things play out. Also, they need to make a tutorial somewhere that explains this stuff because for such a simple game, some of the interactions are needlessly obscure.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
That sounds like exactly what I would expect to happen based on what I've seen of Battlecry/Deathrattle/Secret interaction, but it is still so, so stupid and Blizzard really needs to clearly look into and fix how things play out. Also, they need to make a tutorial somewhere that explains this stuff because for such a simple game, some of the interactions are needlessly obscure.

Put the secret in hand, not into play. MS needs that nerf, and it solves that bit of bullshit described above.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I'm blanking on other deathrattles aside from Sylvannas that have an easy to test effect but it just weirded me out that it seems to be the opposite of how she works. Or atleast coordinating what happened here with the text of Mirror Entity's "when you play a minion" after the battlecry.

But yeah, if nothing out it is atleast EXTREMELY obtuse from a pure visual level to see your monster plop down, lob a fire ball and have this chain of events follow it.

Leezard

I'm blanking on other deathrattles aside from Sylvannas that have an easy to test effect but it just weirded me out that it seems to be the opposite of how she works. Or atleast coordinating what happened here with the text of Mirror Entity's "when you play a minion" after the battlecry.

But yeah, if nothing out it is atleast EXTREMELY obtuse from a pure visual level to see your monster plop down, lob a fire ball and have this chain of events follow it.

Yeah, comparing to Sylvanas, you'd expect one of the interactions would have to be changed for consistency.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just had a warrior tear me a new asshole. It was a balanced control match for both, then suddenly:

Raging Worgen >
x2 Inner Rage
x2 Rampage
Charge

Double hit face for 24 damage

Should've played around it, I guess :(

Just had a warrior tear me a new asshole. It was a balanced control match for both, then suddenly:

Raging Worgen >
x2 Inner Rage
x2 Rampage
Charge

There are a couple telltale signs of a combo/otk warriors. Mainly extra card draw that control warrior doesn't run... like loot hoarder or azure drake.

Found out something cool for anyone attempting Control Hunter, which is probably no one else, but Feign Death + Explosive Sheep is four damage across the board. After watching Day9 use an Explosive Sheep + ping in his Mage deck, I've been trying it out with my two decks I'm messing around with. (Shaman/Hunter)

With Shaman and Reincarnate, it's nice because if I can get the Sheep behind a Stoneclaw or something else, it'll really slow an aggro deck down, especially Hunter/Warlock since they don't have too easy a way to remove something behind a taunt. What's really cool is if you have two down and Reincarnate one, you'll do six across the board. Can be really great when dealing with Deathrattles too.

As I mentioned before, you can do four with a single Sheep, so I'd assume with two you can do eight. Might be a decent Handlock counter but I haven't tested it yet. Still working out the kinks with the deck.

However, Explosive Sheeps feel really dead when facing another control deck. Outside of Paladins and clearing their 1/1s, I can't find a good use out of them. Also, two Sheep with one Reincarnate is only six damage too.

So if anyone else is having an issue with Aggro, I'd look into some Sheep. They can be a great combo to board clear. That being said, outside of what I listed, I can't think of another way to get the combo off with other classes. Warlocks have Mortal Coil and Rogues have Shiv, but there isn't much else out there.

Found out something cool for anyone attempting Control Hunter, which is probably no one else, but Feign Death + Explosive Sheep is four damage across the board. After watching Day9 use an Explosive Sheep + ping in his Mage deck, I've been trying it out with my two decks I'm messing around with. (Shaman/Hunter)

With Shaman and Reincarnate, it's nice because if I can get the Sheep behind a Stoneclaw or something else, it'll really slow an aggro deck down, especially Hunter/Warlock since they don't have too easy a way to remove something behind a taunt. What's really cool is if you have two down and Reincarnate one, you'll do six across the board. Can be really great when dealing with Deathrattles too.

As I mentioned before, you can do four with a single Sheep, so I'd assume with two you can do eight. Might be a decent Handlock counter but I haven't tested it yet. Still working out the kinks with the deck.

However, Explosive Sheeps feel really dead when facing another control deck. Outside of Paladins and clearing their 1/1s, I can't find a good use out of them. Also, two Sheep with one Reincarnate is only six damage too.

So if anyone else is having an issue with Aggro, I'd look into some Sheep. They can be a great combo to board clear. That being said, outside of what I listed, I can't think of another way to get the combo off with other classes. Warlocks have Mortal Coil and Rogues have Shiv, but there isn't much else out there.

I like the idea of sheep but I think it'll just get wrecked by silence quite often. If I have to use shiv to trigger it, I might as well run blade flurry instead.

It does seem to work in mage, warrior, and I guess it has potential in hunter and shaman. Seems quite good with death's bite.

edit:
I also just had a match vs mage where explosive sheep wrecked his own side quite bad. I mean, he played like shit but that is the nightmare scenario. I wouldn't have played the sheep but I think he was thinking that it would help kill gallyix but just helped me remove his board with blade flurry and mine stayed alive forcing a flamestrike out of him.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

Raging Worgen >
x2 Inner Rage
x2 Rampage
Charge

That sounds hilarious, i really want to try out a warrior deck like that with berserker but i need like 10 more cards to make it work.

The mage fatigue deck is pretty fun to play. The salt when you play your sixth sludge belcher is amazing.

As above, sheep is very useful to make it work.

I like the idea of sheep but I think it'll just get wrecked by silence quite often. If I have to use shiv to trigger it, I might as well run blade flurry instead.

It does seem to work in mage, warrior, and I guess it has potential in hunter and shaman. Seems quite good with death's bite.

Well, when I first thought about it was when I had both Reincarnates and no sheeps. Then I'd get games where I'd have both spells and they'd be dead cards against Aggro since both Reincarnates were either for finishing or more anti control plays. Since I wanted to keep them, I had to find something else I could use with them against aggro. Best thing about it is after a Lightning Storm, or two, people would normally over extend because they don't expect someone to have a third or fourth board clear.

Thinking about it more, Warlock wouldn't really need it because of Hellfire, which is better because not only is it only one card, it can also be used to kill off your opponent.

In my mind when it comes to Shiv, it's awesome to set up a combo, but that might not be until a bit later in the game. So if you're facing down a really aggressive deck and going to die in two turns, there's no point in saving it for later. However, there's a good chance that a Rogue is going to run weapons and like before, Blade Flurry is more versatile too.

But yeah, they're kind of useless if you can't activate them when you need them. They can be a perfect counter to Knife Juggler though. I'll have to look into Warrior though, forgot about Whirlwind / Death's Bite.

Drop a whirlwind and and add a second BGH. Gives you more breathing room when it comes to using your Shield Slams and Executes if you can't trade with the Drakes.

I usually only use Executes and Shield Slams as a last resort against the Drakes and their other minions. Don't be afraid if you have to because you will still have the tools to get past the Giants through effective trading and putting Rag and/or Sylvanas in the best position to do work on at least one of them. Try to keep Brawl as long as possible as well because they won't go overboard with flooding the board until you play that card and that allows you to manage the board better. And of course, do whatever you can to avoid allowing them to play the Molten Giants for free and save Harrison for Jaraxxus.

If it's just handlock you're worried about remove the Harrison Jones and add a silence or two. Maybe a crush.

You dont need a 2nd bgh, thats just overkill. I used the same deck as you this season for legend climb and beat handlocks on the reg. Here's what I do.

1. Keep harrison in your hand. Use for the instant win when he plays Jarraxus. Even if you discard 5 it doesn't matter. Only Grom matters.

2. Armor up, they wont be dropping jack until turn 4. Drop armorsmith and armor up, if you have a shield block you can use it turn 3.

3. If they drop a drake turn 4 you probably want to execute it. Try to not lose any armor in the process of killing it.

4. Mountain Giants can be dealt with by minions and bgh/slam.

5. Its fine to hold a 1 charge deaths bite for as long as you want. Handlocks dont run harrison and you seriously threaten lethal limiting their tapping options.

6. Try to burst them down from 14 life. Don't allow them to play free moltens, I know its tempting to take them from 15 to 4 but don't do it. Just concentrate on the board threats.

7. Save brawl for when theyre forced to put up a bunch of taunts if you can.

8. Dont rag face, save for a giant 50/50 or something.

9. Drop Shieldmaidens and Dr. Boom on empty board whenever you can. Theyre too big to ignore but a pain to siphon.

10. Draw as many cards from acolyte as possible, you need the answers as soon as you can. The easiest way to lose is to exhaust your hand too quickly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the tips. I don't know whether I'll try for legend again this season but if I do I'll keep all that in mind and try to change my approach.

Try making your own control deck. Base it off concepts you know from other people's control decks and keep refining it until it's something you really enjoy playing. Best of all you'll have the satisfaction of getting wins of something that's completely you, rather than copied from someone else.

I realize that some may see the above paragraph as slightly condescending, but I've always been puzzled by the extreme prevalence of netdecks in Hearthstone (ok, obviously not all that puzzled, people typically enjoy winning far more than they enjoy being creative in games like these). Getting a win with a deck you copied online isn't really your win. Sure you still have to play the deck properly, but in most decks that just comes down to copying not just the deck, but also the strategy to play the deck. In a game like Starcraft, copying a build order and strategy still requires a shitload of manual dexterity and rapid-fire decision making, but in a game like Hearthstone, that element is far reduced. Because of that, I really feel the most rewarding way to play is to build something of your own and see how it stacks up to everyone else. Sure, most people are still going to be playing cookie-cutter handlocks or aggro hunters, but the feeling of victory against those decks is all the sweeter when you do it without stooping to their level.

I usually do make custom decks but I had some extra time over Christmas to play so I thought I'd make a try for legend. Not enough time to try all the new cards and tweak the decks out so they're ladderable so I thought I'd just try some netdecks for once and make a go for it.

Latest revisions, working out pretty well so far.

Cut haunted creeper... card was... just very underwhelming.
Cut spellbreaker... solid card. I like silence but for now I am going with gnomish inventor for the card draw. I feel like it has been working so far. I like having a 4 drop to play on curve every once in a while. And I think it is more useful against aggro more of the time. I'd still love a silence to take care of sylvanas, a pretty detrimental card in any meta.
Cut 1 backstab... I think the deck was just too spell heavy and as such I was losing match ups due to drawing too many spells in a row, and vs heavy removal decks like warrior backstab is worthless where an extra minion may help me win.
Cut fan of knives... there are 3 decks (primarily) where this card is useful and I am just not running into them enough. Plus blade flurry fills the same role anyway and I already have two of them. Those 3 decks are midrange paladin (or really any paladin running muster), imp-losion warlock decks, and violet teacher decks.

Added 2x bloodsail raiders... just works awesome. Many times I set up for a blade flurry and then drop a cheap minion like haunted creeper. Now instead of dropping a measely 1/2... I drop 5+/3s. Even worth playing as a mere 3/3 on turn 3 or 2/3 on turn 2. The bigger the better, although I guess BGH is a potential thing to play around even though they are spending 3 mana to remove a 2 mana minion.
Added 1x Ogre Brute... instead of going for second shade of naxxramas, I am going for the 4/4 body for now.
Added Captain Greenskin... What can I say... I have 10 different ways to make use of +1/+1 on weapon. Autobarberx2, deadly poisonx2, assassin's bladex2, swordoilx2, blade flurryx2. I feel kinda dumb for not putting him into this deck sooner. And people rag on him since he is a 5/4. I actually want him to be 5 attack instead of 4 attack. I wanted more 5+ attack minions in the deck to deal with annoying sludge belchers better.

Previously I had 13 minions, 2 weapons, and 15 spells.

Now I have 14 minions, 2 weapons, and 14 spells.

weapon_rogue_gvg2.png

edit: I am notcing that I am missing 1 card I cut and 1 card I added. Forgot to list that I added gnomish inventor back into the list (although the last list I posted still had him in it). The card I had in its place was BGH which I cut.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Unstable Portal x2

Look at the double draw, what the fuck??????

Qlxh1z7.jpg

Mirimar

Brings joy to my soul when I beat someone on my F2P EU account with a mish mash deck vs a deck with legendaries like Dr Boom. Especially if it's hunter..even if it is control =P

So after seeing this game in just about everyone's GOTY lists, I decided to finally give it a try. I have to admit, it is really fun and addictive.

I have one problem though. I'm repeatedly getting my ass handed to me by guys with more experience/better decks. Am I expected to just get repeatedly banged on until I am able to assemble a worthy deck? Kinda feels like there should be leagues like in SC2. Am I missing something here?

Ashodin

their matchmaking is terrible for newbies, not to mention it's extremely unfriendly atm for them. You gotta just stick it out. Find some cheap free decks to play with.

they apparently updated their matchmaking system to not match new players against players with large collections. but i'm guessing because of the ladder reset there are just way too many people with a lot of cards down in the lower ranks. it should get better in a few days as everyone climbs back up the ladder.

but yeah, this game needs more mode and a more robust ladder system.

So after seeing this game in just about everyone's GOTY lists, I decided to finally give it a try. I have to admit, it is really fun and addictive.

I have one problem though. I'm repeatedly getting my ass handed to me by guys with more experience/better decks. Am I expected to just get repeatedly banged on until I am able to assemble a worthy deck? Kinda feels like there should be leagues like in SC2. Am I missing something here?

Don't play ranked until about half way through the month. Then you will have a much easier time.

Casual? You will get stomped sometimes from people grinding quests, but you should get a decent game (I wish they would have a true casual option). Learn the time the quests reset daily and avoid playing against the sharks for an hour or so.

But in general you just need to learn to play. Make sure to buy naxx, get the cards and try the challenges. You will learn a lot.

Then when you are comfortable, build one of the three exact same decks 99% of people play and join the real game.

Pachimari

Just installed this on my LG G3 phone so I'll also be online on the go!

Can I get some Hearthstone friends though? I feel all alone.

My id: Marialtha

Just installed this on my LG G3 phone so I'll also be online on the go!

Can I get some Hearthstone friends though? I feel all alone.

My id: Marialtha

what's the number after your name? can't add you without that! also what region? each region's friends list is different for unknown reasons.

i'm in the US as anyprophet#1410, for example.

Cipherr

You have found the one major under developed part of the game. After the tutorial which is well designed, you are thrown to the wolves and basically told to buy packs or get wrecked for weeks by folks with superior decks. Its a sad shame they haven't found a way around this yet, or that they haven't bothered.

Pachimari

what's the number after your name? can't add you without that! also what region? each region's friends list is different for unknown reasons.

i'm in the US as anyprophet#1410, for example.
I gotta look into this.

You have found the one major under developed part of the game. After the tutorial which is well designed, you are thrown to the wolves and basically told to buy packs or get wrecked for weeks by folks with superior decks. Its a sad shame they haven't found a way around this yet, or that they haven't bothered.
This scares me.

I still like black knight but in a way I feel like the card has been overrated for quite a while now. In certain decks and match ups the card is great and in other decks and match ups you don't always need a reactive card, you need something with higher attack and something you can play to establish board.

The way I feel about black knight is often annoyed, because the perfect time to play black knight happens and I almost never have black knight.

Then sometimes... someone is dumb enough to use that taunt spare part on a huge fattie like foe reaper who was already buffed with vellen's chosen and then black knight finally earns his keep.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hobgoblin is "played". Muster "summons".

Same reason why he doesn't work with Paladin hero power.

Lets face it... it would be absolutely broken if it affected cards summoned into the field by other cards.

imp-losion to get 2-4 3/3 imps.

Muster for battle getting 9/9 stats off 3 mana. Then even buffing again by quartermaster.

imp master spawns 3/3s instead of 1/1s.

Haunted creeper spawns 3/3s instead of 1/1s. That'd be absolutely broken. Make haunted creeper a 7/8 minions for 2 mana even when the front end isn't buffed.

Unleash the hounds... 3/3s... my god.

On the bright side, can you make an angry chicken deck? Maybe!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
T3 Hobgoblin
T4 Violet Teacher, Backstab, Preparation, Fan of Knives

I started playing tonight after seeing all the praise on the GT game of the year awards........and now it's 3:30am

Too bad there isn't a phone version, maybe it'll run on my tablet though

I started playing tonight after seeing all the praise on the GT game of the year awards........and now it's 3:30am

Too bad there isn't a phone version, maybe it'll run on my tablet though

I dunno about iphones but there is a way to get it to run on android phones. There is a reddit thread about it. I've gotten it to work on my galaxy s4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom