• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

Spent money (40 packs) for the first time in Hearthstone since the Beta.

Some stats (minus a couple packs since I forgot to take screenshots of those):

135 Common (2 Golden)
40 Rare (2 Rare)
9 Epic
1 Legendary

735 dust.

Legendary was Gruul :/

Spread of which class got the most:

NSlqDyr.png

Even though Gruul was my only 2nd classic Legendary, I don't think I'll by anymore classic packs with real money anymore. I'm probably better off crafting them now since I might be getting mostly dust from packs. Need to see how many lower rarity cards I'm missing.

I should also clarify, I got back into Hearthstone a month and a half ago or so. Played during the beta but got busy/lost interest so I don't have as many cards as I should have if I played more often since beta.

Raytow

Even though Gruul was my only 2nd classic Legendary, I don't think I'll by anymore classic packs with real money anymore. I'm probably better off crafting them now since I might be getting mostly dust from packs. Need to see how many lower rarity cards I'm missing.
So Gruul is ass? should I dust him, what about dormazmu or whatever he is called.

CRS

Grull is bad since he's countered by various cards, specifically Big Game Hunter.

A little bummed but I understand it comes with the territory of Hearthstone being a CCG.

Xanathus

So I thought of farming for a gold Warrior portrait this season...4 hours later and I'm at 47/500 wins. :/ Games take way too long.

Raytow

Ok so I'll dust both of them any legendaries I should pick Mal'ganis, Sylvanna or fuckit I'll just do two or three epics?
I play Warlock and trying to replicate the magelock, but never found Sylvanna that good, dunno...

So I thought of farming for a gold Warrior portrait this season...4 hours later and I'm at 47/500 wins. :/ Games take way too long.

Well a lot of people farm newbs at rank 19-20 for gold portrait, you can play an aggro warrior(charge to the face deck, which is kinda like the old OTK but without giants) for quick games too, though that probably won't work at higher ranks.

Ok so I'll dust both of them any legendaries I should pick Mal'ganis, Sylvanna or fuckit I'll just do two or three epics?
I play Warlock and trying to replicate the magelock, but never found Sylvanna that good, dunno...

Neither Malganis or Sylvanas are necessarily good cards in a vacuum, you should probably work on a cheaper "complete" deck that doesn't need legendaries with the dust, like zoo or face hunter, because it makes earning your dailies and gold bonuses much faster.

In my experience trying to make a half-assed control deck just makes for long games that you usually lose, which isn't efficient for earning towards more cards or learning the game.

Xanathus

Well a lot of people farm newbs at rank 19-20 for gold portrait, you can play an aggro warrior(charge to the face deck, which is kinda like the old OTK but without giants) for quick games too, though that probably won't work at higher ranks.

That's basically what I'm doing except I'm playing P2W Warrior, maybe I'll set up an OTK deck with Raging Worgen but I feel that would take just as long and have a lower win rate since you generally need to wait until turn 9 / 10 to get the combo off.

Brakara

You have found the one major under developed part of the game. After the tutorial which is well designed, you are thrown to the wolves and basically told to buy packs or get wrecked for weeks by folks with superior decks. Its a sad shame they haven't found a way around this yet, or that they haven't bothered.

That's not completely true. Casual mode do match a new player against other little experienced players, and Arena is equal for everybody. When I created my free US account I had no problem in these modes with my basic decks.

Ranked is a different beast of course, since you can be matched with anybody, and especially at the beginning of the season. Mid-to-late month, though, the lower ranks (25-20) should be a lot better for newer players.

Ulthwe

I've been playing since the Android vers released and I got a some noob questions:
  • What's the point of leveling up your character over lvl 10?
  • What determines the amount of exp you get at the end of a game?
  • Is exp gained affected by you or your opponent surrendering?

I've been playing since the Android vers released and I got a some noob questions:

Leveling up past 10 gets you the golden version of regular class cards, and closer to level 60, each class gets golden, base neutrals.

Strider

I just realized since I started playing again that I haven't played a single Shaman. That's crazy to not even play one at all.... And I only see terrible rogues and mill druids now. This game is so much different than it was in August.
It's better

garath

I can attest to that. I hit a wall around rank 18-19. Every third match or so I'd be up against some incredible deck and have no chance lol

Pachimari

Anyone wanna add me? I found out my precise id:

Marialtha#2530

Btw, do any of you guys know why I have to play the tutorial again on my Android phone? I already were past that on PC. So are these 2 different playthroughs with the same account?

Xanathus

You get golden basic cards that can only be obtained from leveling. The amount of xp is based on the number of actions you do in the game. One person surrendering means less actions done so there's less xp.

ViviOggi

Anyone wanna add me? I found out my precise id:

Marialtha#2530

Btw, do any of you guys know why I have to play the tutorial again on my Android phone? I already were past that on PC. So are these 2 different playthroughs with the same account?

The Android version probably defaulted you to a different region than your usual one (no progress or cards carry over between EU/NA/Asia). You can change your region in the login screen.

Rosenskjold

Alright, I think I just lost to the most random thing ever. Opponent has a piloted shredder out and I have control of the board with strong minions. I kill the shredder and it grants him a doomsayer which wipes the entire board, so he has turn and has a clear board again after I had gained control....

edit: oh I won anyway, lol.

Pachimari

The Android version probably defaulted you to a different region than your usual one (no progress or cards carry over between EU/NA/Asia). You can change your region in the login screen.

I will have to check up on that, but I'm pretty sure I made sure I logged into the EU region, just like on PC.

TheChaos0

Alright, I think I just lost to the most random thing ever. Opponent has a piloted shredder out and I have control of the board with strong minions. I kill the shredder and it grants him a doomsayer which wipes the entire board, so he has turn and has a clear board again after I had gained control....

edit: oh I won anyway, lol.

Arena. Pally vs Pally. I've got tempo the whole game. I've got 4 minions on the board, the opponent only has 1, which is the Shredder. He's got one card in hand, He has no chance to win unless he kills 3 minions this turn and plays a taunt.

1. Trades his Shredder into my biggest guy.
2. Shredder deathrattles into Korkon Elite
3. Uses his lone card to cast Wisdom onto Korkon Elite
4. Kills one my smaller guys
5. Draws Hammer of Wrath from Wisdom
6. Kills my other guy with HoW
7. Draws into Belcher
8. I play some guys during my turn
7. Trades with Korkon, draws into Sword of Justice
8. Plays Guardian of Kings

RNG is gonna RNG.

Rosenskjold

Arena. Pally vs Pally. I've got tempo the whole game. I've got 4 minions on the board, the opponent only has 1, which is the Shredder. He's got one card in hand, He has no chance to win unless he kills 3 minions this turn and plays a taunt.

1. Trades his Shredder into my biggest guy.
2. Shredder deathrattles into Korkon Elite
3. Uses his lone card to cast Wisdom onto Korkon Elite
4. Kills one my smaller guys
5. Draws Hammer of Wrath from Wisom
6. Kills my other guy with HoW
7. Draws into Belcher
8. I play some guys during my turn
7. Trades with Korkon, draws into Sword of Justice
8. Plays Guardian of Kings

RNG is gonna RNG.

Yeah true, RNG is gonna RNG. I feel like more of my games are decided by those cards with the random factor included. I have won many games from drawing good legendaries with unstable portal and playing them with -3 cost to gain early control.

Raytow

Unstable portal is bullshit, also the priest steal card thingy, I swears the times I got Jaraxxas and Doom stolen, fuck that shit.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think you meant Sky-Golem. And yeah Shredder and Sky-golem are trash cards. Sky-golem isn't so bad because it's 6 mana and an epic.

Shredder is actually pretty decent I think. You can minimize the harmful RNG quite a bit, for example, you can trade him first on your turn if you have other creatures, then decide how to trade the rest of the board after it transforms. There's quite a few great 2-drops that come from it, the Warlock vampire, Armorsmith, Millhouse, Pagle, and so on.

Even Doomsayer can be quite good, it's not uncommon for an opponent to play some big minion, kill your shredder, then see it turn to Doomsayer and have no plan for it, and they lose their big minion... this happened to an opponent yesterday lol.

I've even seen it drop a taunt and have that 100% screw up the opponent's turn as well, not allowing them to trade how they intended.

I've also gotten a second Thanos after playing my own, which makes for some nice spell damage and card draw as well.

that korkron could have easily been a yeti or something and then they would have cast blessing of wisdom on one of your minions to protect it.

I mean, the situation you were in was already bad. you couldn't kill a 6/4. which is awful stats for 6 mana. it could have been a boulderfist and you'd have been in just as much trouble.

Ulthwe

Leveling up past 10 gets you the golden version of regular class cards, and closer to level 60, each class gets golden, base neutrals.
And the golden cards are better, or just a cosmetic change?
You get golden basic cards that can only be obtained from leveling. The amount of xp is based on the number of actions you do in the game. One person surrendering means less actions done so there's less xp.
So I suppose those surrendering when you're about to win are basically salty.

Xanathus

And the golden cards are better, or just a cosmetic change?

So I suppose those surrendering when you're about to win are basically salty.

Golden cards are just cosmetic. The amount of xp you get from a single action is incredibly negligible so it's not worth sitting through the motions as your opponent hits your face. You also don't get xp from your opponent's actions. Level doesn't matter after 10 anyway.

Phawx

I've been rolling a new warlock deathzoo. Uses both hobgoblin and undertaker and a bevy of 1-attack + death rattle cards.

Still need to tweak it I think

Ulthwe

Golden cards are just cosmetic. The amount of xp you get from a single action is incredibly negligible so it's not worth sitting through the motions as your opponent hits your face. You also don't get xp from your opponent's actions. Level doesn't matter after 10 anyway.
Well, you take away that Killer Final Blow Satisfaction© by surrendering, but when you're on your 427th match it doesn't really mean much.

Xanathus

Welp, you meet some interesting players at ranks 19-20. Just trashed a control warrior who apparently just copied the deck and had every card including Harrison and Geddon but had absolutely no clue how to play it.

Pachimari

I think I just got my first Legendary, Vol'jin. Is that a good one?

I see the big thing with him is, that he can swap health with other minions but his attack (2) is weak.

I see the big thing with him is, that he can swap health with other minions but his attack (2) is weak.

6 attack for a 5 mana minion is good plus he is pretty much removal. Its a good card not dr boom lvls but certainly no need to dust him.

Xanathus

Vol'jin is among the best legendaries, the 2 is is health, not his attack. So you can swap health with a high health enemy creature and then kill it with Smite or Holy Nova or a 2 attack creature.

Pachimari

Oh, so I see I should keep him.

Is there any risk in losing my cards permanently in online battles? No right?

And please add me, I got zero friends:

Marialtha#2530

Oh, so I see I should keep him.

Is there any risk in losing my cards permanently in online battles? No right?

And please add me, I got zero friends:

Marialtha#2530

No risk in losing cards. The only way to lose a card is to disenchant it for dust in My Collection outside of a battle.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Vol'jin is pretty insane value for his mana cost. Definitely one of the best new legendaries.

Yeah. You can even swap health with Dr Boom. Just summoned a 5 mana Boulderfist Ogre and did 5 damage to boot. Can even Holy Nova after to clear the board.

kirblar

Is this game's over-reliance on neutrals in fact a design decision to keep people from having multiple accounts fully loaded with class cards? It hit me as I was wondering why people didn't do this with HS (as people are starting to discuss doing this for HotS, due to its structure.)

TheChaos0

that korkron could have easily been a yeti or something and then they would have cast blessing of wisdom on one of your minions to protect it.

I mean, the situation you were in was already bad. you couldn't kill a 6/4. which is awful stats for 6 mana. it could have been a boulderfist and you'd have been in just as much trouble.

Are you replying to me? If that was a Yeti, I would have won the game. Even if that Yeti had BoK on it and had a divine shield to boot. I didn't kill the Sky golem because I didn't want to opponent to know what he would get, so that he couldn't plan around it. In hindsight, if I just run my guy in to kill the golem, I would have won. Because in the end that one card he drew one turn earlier, really saved him.

I just could not recover after the board control shift, as it often happens in Arena, if you lost board control, you've lost the game, unless RNG or your deck has flamestrikes. (or any other board clear/gimmick).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom