• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
FUCKING MADDER BOMBER RNG PIECE OF SHIT

God the RNG is so frustrating in this damn game.

I previously made a meme for this:

B5uGzW8CcAAj0kC.jpg:large

Pulled off a completely ridiculous topdeck victory in Arena. Two turns till I die, a useless Ice Lance in hand, no board. 5 cards left in deck. Enemy has 12HP. Draw Frostbolt. Can't do anything. Hero power, pass. Enemy plays a taunt and takes me to 3hp. Draw Azure Drake. Still nothing - one off lethal. Play it. Draw Kobold Geomancer. "I'm sorry."

With the number of cards left being so low, I guess the odds of it weren't too insane. But in the moment, man.

Szadek

My bad luck right now is unbelievable.I lost 7 out of 8 games.
During the last 2 games for example I started with 2 shadow word death against player that never summoned a card with 5 attack or more.
One more lose like that and I switch to zoo.

Pachimari

Found out I were logged into another server as someone suggested here. So thanks, corrected it so it's now the same as the one I play on the PC.

I'm gonna try and build my first deck but I don't think I will have any idea on who to pick or how to balance it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This is a good article by brian "brian kibler" kibler of Brian Kibler gaming (
had to
) talking about hearthstone tournament formats.

We should keep some of these thoughts in mind when we do our next tournament. Maybe only require 1 deck so more people can join in (kibler thinks this format can work even without sideboards).

http://bmkgaming.com/hearthstone-tournament-formats/

Great read, i agree about the ESL format, its pretty cool compared to Last Hero Standing (+ Class ban)

Dude is top notch when he streams too.

rac

Banned
Not really. Both control and undertaker are still viable and it's never been better in arena.

Well I've never played the undertaker version (because its a terrible card) but control loses to warrior and handlock and can easily get beat by hunter and zoo. Not to mention each game lasts forever.

johnsmith

remember me
Control is favored vs hunter and zoo, and warrior is 50/50 at worst. Handlock is the only real bad matchup for priest, and even that was improved with gvg.

gutshot

Why did I pick Redemption in arena. Card is permanently unusable.
There's no other card with such anti-synergy with a hero power.

While I tend to agree it is a garbage card, a paladin I was playing got Redemption to proc on a Sneed's in a recent arena game. Yeah, I lost that one.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Shielded minibot getting redemption is a pain in the ass too.

So it has atleast done more than I have ever seen eye for an eye accomplish.

rac

Banned
Control is favored vs hunter and zoo, and warrior is 50/50 at worst. Handlock is the only real bad matchup for priest, and even that was improved with gvg.

If control priest was heavily favored against hunter and zoo there would probably be a lot more people playing it then control warrior on ladder. Its just way more reliable.

One thing people kind of jumped on was making the class even more reactive than it was before. I believe priest is best when it is proactive, although sometimes it does get by against some decks when it has to play reactive due to draws.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm not sure I like the fact that I can basically roll across creatures (er-"Minions") and attack the other player directly UNLESS they have a taunt creature out there.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Why did I pick Redemption in arena. Card is permanently unusable.
There's no other card with such anti-synergy with a hero power.

I like Redemption more than most people, but its only good with value taunts like Sludge Belcher and Sunwalker. Maybe Harvest Golem in a pinch. Or Kel'thuzad, but that's the dream, and Reincarnate does it better.

I'm not sure I like the fact that I can basically roll across creatures (er-"Minions") and attack the other player directly UNLESS they have a taunt creature out there.

It is actually quite important to know when to trade and when to go face. You'll grow used to it. Being able to attack minions directly actually increases the amount of combat.

You'll often attack minions directly to get the most value out of your minion, prevent them from performing combos or buffing a minion, prevent them from killing you next turn, reduce the amount of damage they can do to you next turn... and more but basically there are many reasons to not attack their total hp. Some decks are built to play aggressive though, face decks, and you'll probably grow to resent how effective they can be... but you'll also learn how to beat them consistently.

That was pretty crazy.

johnsmith

remember me
If control priest was heavily favored against hunter and zoo there would probably be a lot more people playing it then control warrior on ladder. Its just way more reliable.

I'm still seeing it plenty. Just fought 2 back to back. Just because it's not the most played deck doesn't mean it isn't good. Even if control warrior is better, it doesn't mean priest is shit.

rac

Banned
I'm still seeing it plenty. Just fought 2 back to back. Just because it's not the most played deck doesn't mean it isn't good. Even if control warrior is better, it doesn't mean priest is shit.

When the deck gets beat by handlock and cw (obviously we have a different opinion on this) and is worse against aggro than both its pretty bad. With the bonus of your games lasting way longer.

When the deck gets beat by handlock and cw (obviously we have a different opinion on this) and is worse against aggro than both its pretty bad. With the bonus of your games lasting way longer.

Except it doesn't? The Control Warrior matchup is all about skill. That's it. The player who plays better will win this matchup 9/10. The priest has Cabal Shadow, Thoughtsteal, and Harrison all there to seal things up. Maintaining card advantage until late game when you need to deal with back-to-back legends is the most important aspect.

The Handlock game can be rough, but not impossible. It really just depends on if Handlock gets out early game Drakes and Giants and how well you can handle them.

The thing about Priest is that the deck is one of the most flexible ones. Adding Lightbomb and Rag can make your deck much better against Control. To make it favor aggro/midrange you can swap in Shrinkmeister and another Shadow Madness.

Cipherr

Jesus Christ Arena and Constructed are like Earth and Mars. Kripp is playing constructed and is getting deeeeestroyed
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
Dude is at rank 15 losing and gaining that one damn star.

So sad.
KuGsj.gif

Rosenskjold

Sometimes you almost feel bad for the other person.

RCradzDl.jpg

edit: But you feel the same pain when your opponent topdecks the only card he could possibly regain the game with.

Hey folks, I decided to give this game a whirl since I got myself an ipad and this seems like a fun timewaster. I beat the ai on basic and expert, did some challenges and now I'm grinding all classes to lvl 10.

So far the most succes I've had (in my undoubtedly shit tier skill bracket) is with this priest deck I scraped together, based around using taunt minions/heals to keep my northshire clerics up early game, and my gurubashi berserkers safe lategame, while I manipulate their health for my benefit. I'll probably swap out holy smite with shadow word: death or mind control once I unlock those cards.

A question to this thread, how realistic is it to play this game without buying packs/arena tickets? Can you get by by playing the arena for packs and playing normal matches for gold? Or should I not even bother with that approach? Thanks!

PS: is there a way to 'share' decks instead of making a screenshot and putting it on imgur?

Raytow

I just had a fucking warrior pull baron geddon, harrison jones?, ragnaros, the black knight, alextrazza?, and I think some other legendary and win what it was looking like an easy win for me, pay to win indeed.

Minsc

Gold Member
A question to this thread, how realistic is it to play this game without buying packs/arena tickets? Can you get by by playing the arena for packs and playing normal matches for gold? Or should I not even bother with that approach? Thanks!

Time or money basically.

You can get by without money, but it will take a really, really long time (4-6+ months), unless you get super good fast and start winning 5+ at arena consistently.

Best way is a little of both, spending $30-50 (Naxx + bunch of packs), to get a head-start, then cruising on the dailies for free arenas will be much simpler and less frustrating, since you'll have a decent set of cards to make decks for your dailies with. Also, the best time to spend money is earlier on since you end up not getting all worthless duplicates of cards you already have when purchasing packs.

I just had a fucking warrior pull baron geddon, harrison jones?, ragnaros, the black knight, alextrazza?, and I think some other legendary and win what it was looking like an easy win for me, pay to win indeed.

Sounds like a completely predictable control warrior deck (unless you're talking about arena). Did you play around the archetype correctly? It's a good deck, but has some weaknesses.

Rizzi

People that take the entire turn timer for each turn sure are the greatest humans in existence, and I don't want to cut pieces off them at all.

Pachimari

I don't seem to understand how to create my own deck.

I chose my mage, and her powers, and then I could choose a lot of Neutral cards with different strength. But I can neither find my Legendary Vol'jin or the rare Shadowflame.

ViviOggi

I don't seem to understand how to create my own deck.

I chose my mage, and her powers, and then I could choose a lot of Neutral cards with different strength. But I can neither find my Legendary Vol'jin or the rare Shadowflame.

Those are class cards, Vol'Jin and Shadowflame can only be used in Priest and Warlock decks respectively. Only neutral cards (purely minions) are shared between classes.

PS: is there a way to 'share' decks instead of making a screenshot and putting it on imgur?

You can. I put $20 dollars into it at the beginning and that's it. I now have almost all the cards. Of course, I play a lot (probably 2-3 hours a day) and I'm pretty fantastic. :p

My friends have been playing for about 3 months, and they all have at least one good deck so it's do able. Are you planning on playing competitively?

If you are, these articles are good reading when you have spare time:

Aggro, Combo, and Control - Jeff Cunningham
The Midrange Archetype - Ken Nagle

And if you decide to get competitive with it...

“Eight Core Principles of Who's the Beatdown” - Mike Flores - A MUST READ
"Introduction to Tempo" - Scott Johns
"Taking Card Advantage" - Brian Weisdsman
"Strategy and Tactics" - Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa
“Playing to Win vs. Playing Not to Lose” - Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa
“The Art of Reducing Variance” - Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa

These are all Magic: The Gathering articles, but they cover fundamental card game topics.

Anteo

Rofl, the Zoo deck is fun to play, except when you face a basic mage, I can't believe how effective the basic cards are against Zoo.
It didnt help I didnt get a good start but still.

Raytow

Sounds like a completely predictable control warrior deck (unless you're talking about arena). Did you play around the archetype correctly? It's a good deck, but has some weaknesses.
First time I faced something with so many legendaries, so no idea whatsoever, I just had him at like 9 or 7 pulled alextraza and all went to shit from there.

ViviOggi

First time I faced something with so many legendaries, so no idea whatsoever, I just had him at like 9 or 7 pulled alextraza and all went to shit from there.
Then, to be blunt, the game wasn't looking like an easy win. Just like you're likely not in a good spot against a 10 HP Handlock, a CW's gameplan vs aggro/midrange involves going low via weapon usage and then healing+armoring back up once they've taken control of the board in the lategame.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It is actually quite important to know when to trade and when to go face. You'll grow used to it. Being able to attack minions directly actually increases the amount of combat.

You'll often attack minions directly to get the most value out of your minion, prevent them from performing combos or buffing a minion, prevent them from killing you next turn, reduce the amount of damage they can do to you next turn... and more but basically there are many reasons to not attack their total hp. Some decks are built to play aggressive though, face decks, and you'll probably grow to resent how effective they can be... but you'll also learn how to beat them consistently..

All I've been doing is ramping up power (er-"Attack") with a bunch of creatures (er-"minions") and going at that 30 health.

I'm not finding anything too "deep" about this compared to Magic. At least in Magic I had to kinda think of my next move. Here I can play semi-sloppy and still get out of most situations.

...Unless it's life-gain, seriously fuck that ability in any card game when I'm doing fast burn. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom