• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that there are too many neutral (and class, for that matter) cards with inherent card advantage for arena. If you are unlucky enough to not have many, you are behind severely.

Leezard

All I've been doing is ramping up power (er-"Attack") with a bunch of creatures (er-"minions") and going at that 30 health.

I'm not finding anything too "deep" about this compared to Magic. At least in Magic I had to kinda think of my next move. Here I can play semi-sloppy and still get out of most situations.

...Unless it's life-gain, seriously fuck that ability in any card game when I'm doing fast burn. Ugh.

The game is much simpler than Magic, indeed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
i4p4MePDYRGNW.png
Code:
E G O M L
A A F Y I
S M     F
I E     E
E
S
T

Pachimari

Those are class cards, Vol'Jin and Shadowflame can only be used in Priest and Warlock decks respectively. Only neutral cards (purely minions) are shared between classes.

Oh. I just wonder if there's no description for each class, because nothing happens when I hover my mouse above each class or right click on them in Solo Adventures > Practice Normal.

Xanathus

Oh. I just wonder if there's no description for each class, because nothing happens when I hover my mouse above each class or right click on them in Solo Adventures > Practice Normal.

They show up under their respective class tabs in your Collection menu. You can also tell by the card's background as each class card has its own style.

Time or money basically.

You can get by without money, but it will take a really, really long time (4-6+ months), unless you get super good fast and start winning 5+ at arena consistently.

Best way is a little of both, spending $30-50 (Naxx + bunch of packs), to get a head-start, then cruising on the dailies for free arenas will be much simpler and less frustrating, since you'll have a decent set of cards to make decks for your dailies with. Also, the best time to spend money is earlier on since you end up not getting all worthless duplicates of cards you already have when purchasing packs.

You can. I put $20 dollars into it at the beginning and that's it. I now have almost all the cards. Of course, I play a lot (probably 2-3 hours a day) and I'm pretty fantastic. :p

My friends have been playing for about 3 months, and they all have at least one good deck so it's do able. Are you planning on playing competitively?

Thanks for the help! Would you say getting Curse of Naxxramas is worth the money in terms of entertainment value and quality of cards? Also, if I decide to buy card packs, should I buy the default ones or the GvG ones?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Thanks for the help! Would you say getting Curse of Naxxramas is worth the money in terms of entertainment value and quality of cards? Also, if I decide to buy card packs, should I buy the default ones or the GvG ones?

Naxx is absolutely the first thing you should spend money on. If you ever plan on spending real money in Hearthstone, Naxx is the best value because its gold cost is overpriced compared to its money cost. And there are definitely some must have cards in Naxx.

Long term, it's probably best if you go 2-to-1 on classic packs vs gvg packs. Get 2 classic packs for every GvG pack you get. That gives you the lowest chance of getting duplicate cards from packs, and you want to avoid duplicates as much as possible.

ZealousD

I'm not finding anything too "deep" about this compared to Magic. At least in Magic I had to kinda think of my next move. Here I can play semi-sloppy and still get out of most situations.

Not exactly true, you're just new at the game so you're not familiar with the meta yet. You probably don't know when you're overextending into certain other cards, how to mulligan against certain decks, etc. In the early going you're up against other newer players as well so they're probably playing just as if not more sloppy than you, and many of them are brand new to card games so you have a leg up on them.

CoolOff

Dropping down to rank 24 on my NA-alt. every new season is so much fun. The turn 1 Claws to face really make for a nice change of pace from rank 18-10 Zoo/Hunter.

Pachimari

They show up under their respective class tabs in your Collection menu. You can also tell by the card's background as each class card has its own style.

Oh. I guess what I'll do first then, is beat and unlock all of the classes with the basic mage deck, and then build my deck from there.

rac

Banned
Priest vs CW is mainly about draws, and with average ones Priest easily beats CW post-GvG
I don't want to keep arguing this because obviously it's my opinion vs all of yours but if priest easily beat cw wouldn't you see a lot more at tournaments? Its actually one of the least played classes while warrior is one of the most played.

Anteo

God dammit every single time. Every time I pick the priest deck I get handlock as an opponent. I can't deal with Handlock with this deck.. whyyyyy

Edit: And a Ancient watcher into silence start. sigh

Edit2: sigh.. at least the Ysera didnt die inmediately but still, no chance

All I've been doing is ramping up power (er-"Attack") with a bunch of creatures (er-"minions") and going at that 30 health.

...Unless it's life-gain, seriously fuck that ability in any card game when I'm doing fast burn. Ugh.

Watch some pro players and streamers. You may be making small and sometimes big mistakes without even noticing.

edit:
http://www.twitch.tv/lifecoach1981 (live atm)

Anteo

Watch Amaz puzzle series, its about moments in Hearthstone that look like puzzles.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7VDr58somPnb0ZWOOropGF6PxW1H4Syz

johnsmith

remember me
Hey folks, I decided to give this game a whirl since I got myself an ipad and this seems like a fun timewaster. I beat the ai on basic and expert, did some challenges and now I'm grinding all classes to lvl 10.

So far the most succes I've had (in my undoubtedly shit tier skill bracket) is with this priest deck I scraped together, based around using taunt minions/heals to keep my northshire clerics up early game, and my gurubashi berserkers safe lategame, while I manipulate their health for my benefit. I'll probably swap out holy smite with shadow word: death or mind control once I unlock those cards.

A question to this thread, how realistic is it to play this game without buying packs/arena tickets? Can you get by by playing the arena for packs and playing normal matches for gold? Or should I not even bother with that approach? Thanks!

PS: is there a way to 'share' decks instead of making a screenshot and putting it on imgur?

That deck can easily be improved with just basic cards. I would personally make these changes.

-2 voodoo doctor
-2 frostwolf grunt
-2 divine spirit
-2 gurubashi berserker
-2 lord of the arena
These cards are all unplayable, and you will never see them in constructed

+2 river crocolisk
+1 shadow word death
+1 gnomish inventor
+2 holy nova
+2 dark scale healer
+1 stormwind champion
+1 mind control

That deck can easily be improved with just basic cards. I would personally make these changes.

-2 voodoo doctor
-2 frostwolf grunt
-2 divine spirit
-2 gurubashi berserker
-2 lord of the arena
These cards are all unplayable, and you will never see them in constructed

+2 river crocolisk
+1 shadow word death
+1 gnomish inventor
+2 holy nova
+2 dark scale healer
+1 stormwind champion
+1 mind control

I'll have you know I've 10 out of my 13 games with this deck, clearly I have discovered the new meta and all you posers have to adapt.

Kidding aside, thanks for the input. The last 3 cards you mentioned for removal have all served me really well so far though, many of my games were won by my gurabashi berserkers after having set up under the protection of divine spirit, heals and beefy minions with taunt. Could I get an explanation why this will stop working as I'll play against more competent people?

johnsmith

remember me
I'll have you know I've 10 out of my 13 games with this deck, clearly I have discovered the new meta and all you posers have to adapt.

Kidding aside, thanks for the input. The last 3 cards you mentioned for removal have all served me really well so far though, many of my games were won by my gurabashi berserkers after having set up under the protection of divine spirit, heals and beefy minions with taunt. Could I get an explanation why this will stop working as I'll play against more competent people?

Gurubashi berserker is too slow and takes too long to become a threat. Minions rarely last more than 1 or 2 turns on board, and you have no easy way to make him a threat like mage does. So what will happens is you still drop him on board, then next turn your opponent will hit it with their 4 drop that won't die, because gurubashi will only have 2 attack, and finish it off with a cheap spell, or a small minion left over from earlier in the game, or something with divine shield. Or it could just get kodoed. Or hunters marked, or hexed, or fireballed.

If he does survive to attack the next turn, 2 attack power will do jack squat to anything higher than a 2 drop.

Classic is definitely going to hold value more over time, at least as far as anyone can tell right now. Some of the cards are indispensable. Not saying that GvG doesn't have important cards, just classic is more important. :p

Naxx is the best value for real money right now. Aside from being fun, you get some of the best cards guaranteed (Sludge Belcher, Loatheb, Shade of Naxxramas, almost all the class cards. etc).

Xanathus

Soon enough he'll hit rank 20 and get to face all gold control warriors like the rest of us.
Seriously though I'm only seeing netdecks at ranks 20 to 18. I thought farming noobs for my golden portrait was supposed to be easy breezy. Now I actually have to think!

I've been honing this deck since the release of GvG and now it's pretty much viable against everything else but Zoo and aggro Hunter (and Murloc decks). Especially those Zoo bastards, I've never won them even with perfect draws. So any advises how to make this deck work against those (without destroying the mech synergy)?

I've been honing this deck since the release of GvG and now it's pretty much viable against everything else but Zoo and aggro Hunter (and Murloc decks). Especially those Zoo bastards, I've never won them even with perfect draws. So any advises how to make this deck work against those (without destroying the mech synergy)?

Replace Aldor Peacekeepers with something more aggro-stopping... Harvest Golems are mechs and are more effort for a Zoo deck to deal with. Not great but should do more than the Aldors.

Xanathus

Why Gazlowe when the only 1 mana spell you have is Blessing of Wisdom, and even then only 1 copy of it.

Danielsan

Started playing this on Thursday and it's addictive as all hell. That said, playing ranked matches online can feel slightly unfair. In most cases the matches are fairly evenly matched, with the opponents kicking my ass based on a better deck build and tactics. But sometimes it feels it bit too much like a pay to win game. Just got slapped around by a dude who put in 3 legendaries. Hell, I don't even have one... I feel that I always get destroyed in the late game. I don't intend to pay for booster packs and the gold you getting for winning is way too low in my opinion. If they'd make it 20 gold per 3 wins I'd find it a lot more reasonable.

Ooh well, guess I'll just have to not play for a day or two, do the daily quests, and repeat the process.

ZealousD

Cut Gazlowe and Antique Healbot for a couple Sludge Belchers. I don't know how much work Gazlowe is really putting in your deck as you aren't loaded with 1 mana spells so you're relying on spare parts. Antique Healbot does much the same thing as Sludge Belcher except Sludge Belcher might actually kill some things.

Consider cutting Alexstrasza. If you're using her purely as healing she's not great. Putting in a solid 6/7 drop like Piloted Sky Golem or Dr. Boom is probably better.

You seem like you don't have very many 2 drops, which means you're hero powering a lot on Turn 2. I'd consider cutting Hammer of Wrath, 1x Guardian of Kings, and the 2 Clockwork Gnomes for 2xMechwarper and 2xShielded Minibots. Not having Shielded Minibot in a Paladin Mech deck feels like a mistake to me.

Enhance-o and Sword of Justice could probably be swapped for something else, maybe another mid-range mech threat. You have a mech deck but you don't have Piloted Shredder or Mechanical Yeti, that doesn't feel right to me. Especially if you stick in Mechwarper, having 2 sets of 4 drops you can drop on Turn 3 is pretty strong.

ZealousD

But he has 2 clockwork gnomes and 2 tinkertown technicians. I think it is fine. Trying to get too much value out of gazlowe tends to be counter-productive anyway in my experience with him.

His vanilla stats put him at a 4 drop, So you need to get at least 2 mana worth of value off of him to be worth including. I don't think you get that off a single spell, I think you need at least 2. And with only 5 potential spells, that's not guaranteed. Unless you can consistently get 2 draws off of him, he's not worth including.

Anteo

500.png

I play a ton of Zoo. I hate Explosive Sheep, especially in Mech decks.

Replace Aldor Peacekeepers with something more aggro-stopping... Harvest Golems are mechs and are more effort for a Zoo deck to deal with. Not great but should do more than the Aldors.

I've gotten a great value out of Aldors the whole time...they're basically silences for this deck and have saved my ass more than once. So I can't cut them out anymore!

Cut Gazlowe and Antique Healbot for a couple Sludge Belchers. I don't know how much work Gazlowe is really putting in your deck as you aren't loaded with 1 mana spells so you're relying on spare parts. Antique Healbot does much the same thing as Sludge Belcher except Sludge Belcher might actually kill some things.

Well Gazlowe is pretty good for late game card draw and a great bait for removals =D First I was very doubtful of its usefulness but adding it improved the deck's performance greatly.

Consider cutting Alexstrasza. If you're using her purely as healing she's not great. Putting in a solid 6/7 drop like Piloted Sky Golem or Dr. Boom is probably better.

Never used Alex for healing in this deck. It's just a little surprise when going against Warrior, Druid, Priest and other Pally decks. Might try Dr. Boom instead.

You seem like you don't have very many 2 drops, which means you're hero powering a lot on Turn 2. I'd consider cutting Hammer of Wrath, 1x Guardian of Kings, and the 2 Clockwork Gnomes for 2xMechwarper and 2xShielded Minibots. Not having Shielded Minibot in a Paladin Mech deck feels like a mistake to me.

Enhance-o and Sword of Justice could probably be swapped for something else, maybe another mid-range mech threat. You have a mech deck but you don't have Piloted Shredder or Mechanical Yeti, that doesn't feel right to me. Especially if you stick in Mechwarper, having 2 sets of 4 drops you can drop on Turn 3 is pretty strong.

I actually had Yetis, Shredders and Sky Golems at first but the RNG always fucked me over. I really dislike the Yeti giving a spare part to the opponent (lost a couple of times because of that) and Shredders/Golems pretty much always drop a shitty minion for me =/

Edit:

His vanilla stats put him at a 4 drop, So you need to get at least 2 mana worth of value off of him to be worth including. I don't think you get that off a single spell, I think you need at least 2. And with only 5 potential spells, that's not guaranteed. Unless you can consistently get 2 draws off of him, he's not worth including.

Yes, 5 spells is definitely a minimum and I'd prefer 6 or 7. That's why I've thought about replacing Sneed's with Toshley (just don't have that card).

I play a ton of Zoo. I hate Explosive Sheep, especially in Mech decks.

Wow, well...damn. Haven't really realized the Sheep's potential!

End of edit:

But thanks for the feedback guys! Gonna do the following:

- Enhance-o
- Sword of Justice
- Healbot
- Hammer of Wrath

+ 2x Shielded Minibots (2x Explosive Sheep)
+ 2x Belchers

manhack

: ( I work on that.

I think the client is fine. It works on my main PC and my Windows 8 tablet with no performace issues at all.

I guess some people hate any "extra" clients these days with Steam, Origin, Battle.net, Uplay, etc. it can get a little crazy keeping up.

Personally I close everything but the client I'm currently using and have no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom