• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACE 1991

Got my first nice pack, woo!
QuMhPHK.jpg

Majine

Banned
I feel like I never get any legendaries when I just buy one pack every now and then, but when I cashed in 40 or so when GvG hit, there were plentiful.

Itsaconspiracy.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
In M:tG you don't have to do 4:1 trades.

In M:tG, it's significantly harder to get legendary-type cards for free, or any cards really. I've only spent $60-80 on Hearthstone and I have a good collection worth probably closer to $400 (or maybe more) of cards someone would have to pay to get from starting new.

Pretty much any time a new expansion launches in Hearthstone, or an Adventure mode, I get it for free (around ~50 free packs anyway), as I put away 50% of my (free) gold between releases, for every 100 gold I spend, I save 200 before spending another 100. I really don't expect to ever need to spend another cent on the game.

Quixzlizx

In M:tG, it's significantly harder to get legendary-type cards for free, or any cards really. I've only spent $60-80 on Hearthstone and I have a good collection worth probably closer to $400 (or maybe more) of cards someone would have to pay to get from starting new.

Pretty much any time a new expansion launches in Hearthstone, or an Adventure mode, I get it for free (around ~50 free packs anyway), as I put away 50% of my (free) gold between releases, for every 100 gold I spend, I save 200 before spending another 100. I really don't expect to ever need to spend another cent on the game.

I don't know how much gold you grind, but you must have way better luck than me, because as I said before, I've never pulled one of the good neutral legendaries from a pack, and I've only pulled 4 legendaries total (including one dupe).

When I played M:tG, I could trade for/buy singles.

Do you remember the price of those singles?

Competitive Magic is expensive. You are looking at anywhere from $50 to $200 dollars for Standard, but you are going to need new cards every few months. $200 to $2000 for Modern. ~$3000 to ~$5000+ for Vintage. For just one deck.

Trading IS possible, but for new players it's hard to get cards of a value that is capable of being traded for Modern/Vintage cards because cards gain value with lack of supply (over time basically) and some cards are just really rare.

Hearthstone's dust system is an attempt to minimize price inflation so you don't have to spend 1000s on a single deck.

Quixzlizx

Do you remember the price of those singles?

Competitive Magic is expensive. You are looking at anywhere from $50 to $200 dollars for Standard, but you are going to need new cards every few months. $200 to $2000 for Modern. ~$3000 to ~$5000+ for Vintage. For just one deck.

Trading IS possible, but for new players it's hard to get cards of a value that is capable of being traded for Modern/Vintage cards because cards gain value with lack of supply (over time basically) and some cards are just really rare.

Hearthstone's dust system is an attempt to minimize price inflation so you don't have to spend 1000s on a single deck.

I would say that Hearthstone is the equivalent of Standard at the moment. But my point wasn't that Hearthstone is more expensive than M:tG, because it isn't, but that it sucks to be entirely at the mercy of RNG + hideously inefficient trades.

Edit: As an example, I just bought 40 packs of classic, got no usable legendaries, and got 1600 dust out of it. If I dusted pretty much all the cards I got, maybe I'd be up to 3200-3500 dust? So I'd be spending $50 for two legendaries.

Edit 2: Actually, I dusted a bunch of gold cards I already had because I got regular replacements for them, so I'm up way less than 1600 dust from this batch of packs so far.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't know how much gold you grind, but you must have way better luck than me, because as I said before, I've never pulled one of the good neutral legendaries from a pack, and I've only pulled 4 legendaries total (including one dupe).

Well, I think people have said it takes around 300 packs to get a full GvG set (basically every last card, period) and around 600 for the classic set. At around 1-pack per day (if you play a lot), that's a good year or so, so for a bunch of people who've been playing since beta, they're probably somewhere close to that, especially if you substitute a 50-pack purchase or two in the process.

So ~900 packs for a complete Hearthstone set of all the cards, and if you're able to run infinite or near-infinite at arena, that's certainly reachable. Generally I assume anyone I play against with a TON of legendaries and golden cards just plays the game a lot, over spends a ton of money.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I think Druid may be my favorite class, there's something so satisfying from pulling off a win with savage roar and force of nature in a turn. Also i got gotten my fair of legendaries even in packs bought with gold, of course there was that time i bought 40 bucks worth of packs and got only 2 legendaries.

Quixzlizx

I think Druid may be my favorite class, there's something so satisfying from pulling off a win with savage roar and force of nature in a turn. Also i got gotten my fair of legendaries even in packs bought with gold, of course there was that time i bought 40 bucks worth of packs and got only 2 legendaries.

Yeah, 2 legendaries from 40 packs is actually the best luck I've ever had, except one of them was a dupe of the only classic legendary I already owned, and the other one was Tinkmaster.

Hearthstone might not be as expensive as MTG, but you're still looking at spending 200-300 dollars if you'd like to gain access to all the cards, and that's if you also play moderately and go for 3-5 wins in Arena with your gold (over, let's say, a year long period.)

Since I also play Scrolls, where all you pay is an up-front cost of 5 dollars, it's kinda hard for me to consider the monetization system in place in HS to be fair.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, 2 legendaries from 40 packs is actually the best luck I've ever had, except one of them was a dupe of the only classic legendary I already owned, and the other one was Tinkmaster.

Hey getting a dupe of legendary it's not that bad actually since you can dust it and craft an epic card, so not a total lost.

Special C

So I've been making up this hearthstone paraody in my head all day. (not been a productive day at work). It could use a little work in a couple of verses but I like it =). Sung to the tune of "All about that Bass" by Meghan Trainor.

Because you know I'm all about that face,
'Bout that face, no trading
I'm all 'bout that face, 'bout that face, no trading
I'm all 'bout that face, 'bout that face

Yeah it's pretty clear, my drops are 1 and 2
But I can face hit, face hit like I'm supposed to do
Don’t need that Dr boom boom that all controls chase
All the leper gnomes in all the right places

I see all those Trump streams, working those value drops
We know that shit ain't real
Come on now, make it stop
If you got hunter beauty, just steady shot
'Cause every inch of you is perfect
From the bottom to the top

Yeah, my momma she told me don't worry about the board
She says, just keeping hitting face and pray to the RNG Lord
You know I won't be no stick-figure, silicone Freeze Mage doll,
So, if that's what's you're into
Then go ahead and move along

I'm bringing aggro back
Go ahead and tell them Handlock bitches that
No, I'm just playing I know you like your minions fat,
But I'm here to tell you,
Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top

Yeah, my momma she told me don't worry about the board
She says, just keeping hitting face and pray to the RNG Lord
You know I won't be no stick-figure, silicone Freeze Mage doll,
So, if that's what's you're into
Then go ahead and move along

I bought 55 packs out of non-game-induced rage stupidity a few months ago and only got one, which to be fair was Antonidas who's been more than worth it the last few months.

That said, I did the same out of Blizzard Bucks I got for my birthday in August and got seven (Krush, Alex, Thalnos, Cairne, Cho, Illidan and a gold Tirion). Ended up dusting KK, Cho and Illidan to put them towards Grommash since I had dreams of playing Control Warrior (I like the deck but since I'm usually stuck in the 15-18 range I can't deal with the Zoo/Hunter onslaught).

Out of packs with gold, I find I hit the 1-in-15 packs ratio fairly regularly, so I get a legendary every two weeks or so. Just got Foe Reaper 4000 yesterday.

I would say that Hearthstone is the equivalent of Standard at the moment. But my point wasn't that Hearthstone is more expensive than M:tG, because it isn't, but that it sucks to be entirely at the mercy of RNG + hideously inefficient trades.

Edit: As an example, I just bought 40 packs of classic, got no usable legendaries, and got 1600 dust out of it. If I dusted pretty much all the cards I got, maybe I'd be up to 3200-3500 dust? So I'd be spending $50 for two legendaries.

Edit 2: Actually, I dusted a bunch of gold cards I already had because I got regular replacements for them, so I'm up way less than 1600 dust from this batch of packs so far.

I mean, that's cheaper than buying a $100 Booster Box and getting only one Mythic (which is highly possible in Magic since each box has an allotted number of rares and mythics based on the printing sheet). :p

I see your point though, it can be pretty rough trying to get cards and having RNG give you an army of Nat Pagles.

Hearthstone is interesting though, because once you start getting more cards, you'll start getting more dust to get more cards with. It has sort of an exponential curve to getting a full collection.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It's pretty damn good card, honestly i wish i had that crafted that one instead of Dr. Boom :/

I looked up the card and the second search result is "raganaros the fire lord op" in google search suggestions lol.

I was looking at legendaries to craft and there is a really cool one that reduces each player's turn to 15 seconds, i thought about getting that to troll people lol

ACE 1991

Can't get above rank 19 with the aggro hunter deck... Idk what is wrong with my play, every player has answers to 100% of my early game attempts to get board control so I lose always.

Quixzlizx

Comparing Hearthstone with non-Standard is stupid (which I've already mentioned), and you can sell/trade M:tG cards when you're done with them.

If I need a particular legendary, I'm going to have to end up spending almost that much for dust-fodder, and I can't sell/trade it if I don't need it anymore.

Edit: Opened about 10 GvG packs with gold so far, already got 3 Target Dummies!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Counterpoint, your Hearthstone cards will still be usable in "Standard" one year down the road. I guess theoretically you could continue to recycle your Standard legal cards but this means cutting out 3-4 months out of your competitive play every year.

Actually I don't know why I'm arguing this Hearthstone is shiiiit compared to MtG. But the dust system is very player friendly as far as I'm concerned.

Quixzlizx

Counterpoint, your Hearthstone cards will still be usable in "Standard" one year down the road. I guess theoretically you could continue to recycle your Standard legal cards but this means cutting out 3-4 months out of your competitive play every year.

Actually I don't know why I'm arguing this Hearthstone is shiiiit compared to MtG. But the dust system is very player friendly as far as I'm concerned.

It'd be more player-friendly to be able to trade cards. With MtG, I could always just lend cards to my friend if he was playing at a tournament and I wasn't.

I mean, I know why Blizzard won't do that, but that would be actually player-friendly to me.

Haly

Digital CCGs and paper CCGs are too fundamentally different to compare like this. In the former, you gain access to digital assets owned entirely by someone else. In the latter, you yourself own the cards you buy and Wizards cannot stop you from trading even if they didn't want you to. I mean, the secondary market definitely cuts into their profits, but there's no legal way for them to assert that the physical product you bought are not yours to trade and sell. It's more reasonable to compare Hearthstone to other digital CCGs like Duel of Champions.

And by that measure, Hearthstone is very friendly.

It'd be more player-friendly to be able to trade cards. With MtG, I could always just lend cards to my friend if he was playing at a tournament and I wasn't.

I mean, I know why Blizzard won't do that, but that would be actually player-friendly to me.

Free is pretty player friendly too...

I'm not about to get sucked into a HS vs MTG argument, they're already very old and boring.

But just this whole argument about how MTG lets you sell cards afterwards... cool, but in hearthstone you can get any and every card for free. There is no exorbitantly expensive entry barrier either. You can play and build top decks that pros use... for free.

Anyway, that is all I want/have to say about trade vs dusting.

Quixzlizx

Free is pretty player friendly too...

I'm not about to get sucked into a HS vs MTG argument, they're already very old and boring.

But just this whole argument about how MTG lets you sell cards afterwards... cool, but in hearthstone you can get any and every card for free. There is no exorbitantly expensive entry barrier either. You can play and build top decks that pros use... for free.

Anyway, that is all I want/have to say about trade vs dusting.

My original rant was about how people shouldn't complain about all of the people playing zoo and face hunter because they're so much easier to actually acquire the cards for, and then people started arguing with me. So this post pretty much agrees with what I originally said :p

Special C

My original rant was about how people shouldn't complain about all of the people playing zoo and face hunter because they're so much easier to actually acquire the cards for, and then people started arguing with me. So this post pretty much agrees with what I originally said :p

This is true. I have all the legendaries I need to play Control Warrior but I STILL play zoo for Warlock quests because I don't have the Giants needed for handlock. I never played Miracle because I didnt want to spend 800 dust on 2 preps. Even with as many cards as I have I'm lacking the epics needed for a lot of the expensive decks.

I'm a newbie, I didn't even know you could trade cards lol

I also don't plan to spend money on this......yet

Oh, you can't trade cards?

What is dust?

Haly

What is dust?

You can turn your extra cards/unwanted cards into dust. You can then use that dust to craft any card in the game (except Naxx ones). The ratio is something like 4:1 so in a sense, you can "trade" cards for other cards but it's not true trading.

You can turn your extra cards/unwanted cards into dust. You can then use that dust to craft any card on the game. The ratio is something like 4:1 so in a sense, you can "trade" cards for other cards but it's not true trading.

I see

I spent way too much money on M:TG and Star Wars etc... in the 90's, I don't wnat to fall into a money pit again lol

I'm running Baron Rivendare in my Shaman deck along with Dr. Boom. Oh man... when I get each Boom Bot shooting out two bombs from that combo I can't help but laugh. Boom Bot value.

Does anyone play Rogue? I seem to only see priests and mages

I play rogue... and I feel like I have pretty good match ups vs both those classes.

I think mage can run out of steam pretty quickly, especially if they don't have strong starts.

Priest is just really too reactive atm. At least the decks I am facing don't seem to really do much if they don't get their early minions.

Does anyone play Rogue? I seem to only see priests and mages

Rogue's probably in the worst spot it has ever been. Miracle appears to finally be dead now that Gadgetzan Auctioneer costs 6 (It used to cost 5) and no other archetype seems to have emerged. Some people are trying Pirate Rogue but I'm not convinced of it. It's not really an option for me anyway since I don't have Captain Greenskin and probably won't craft him. Shame, since over the months I managed to pull Leeroy, Van Cleef and Malygos from free packs. It's like the game wanted me to play Rogue.

Interested to see your Rogue deck, mobius.

It's been playing as a really aggressive deck. Works really well against other agro. Late game is a problem, but all I've been running into has been agro today, haha.

I think I'll fit in 2 jugglers in there. Take out Thalnos and 1 other thing. It was just something I threw together just for dailies. I don't play hunter often.

Thalnos was an after thought. Thought it'd be funny to drop as a hunter, haha

I ran a REALLY aggressive hunter deck pre-GVG that destroyed other Aggro. Most expensive card in it was Houndmaster. Still does good against straight Aggro decks but Healbot basically killed it dead in all other matchups. I'm still thinking of how to re-calibrate it for GVG, but I'm thinking of making it closer to midrange if I can. Replace the Coldlight with Jeeves, maybe add in some Ogre Brutes, put the Highmanes back in, and I might even put in a Stranglethorn Tiger.

The Adder

Banned
In regards to M:tG vs Hearthstone value.

4 of any card gets you a card of equal rarity in Hearthstone.

In M:tG I don't care if you have literally 100 of bulk rare X, I'm not going to trade away a My Sarkhan for it.

Haly

Mobius' and Tempostorm's approach to Rogue seems the best right now. Controlly burst like a poor man's Miracle Rogue.

It just has a lot of trouble with classes that don't want to play cards like Priest or Warrior.

I played Rogue because I was a Rogue in WoW lol

Might try Paladin later on

Here is my latest rogue list

wr_gvg_2_1.png

I guess some cheap substitutes could be shades exchanged for ogre brute, greenskin exchanged for spiteful smith. But both preps are necessary. Gallywix, while not a cornerstone, is also reasonably necessary but I guess a boulderfist ogre loosely does what he does. Maybe use loatheb instead.

Levi

Banned
I'm a new player (since the game hit android) and I have enough dust for a legendary. I mostly play mage, but I have an okay aggro hunter deck and a semi decent priest deck. I have all the naxx cards. I can't decide what to craft. Halp.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I see your point though, it can be pretty rough trying to get cards and having RNG give you an army of Nat Pagles.

You should never, ever feel bad about getting a Legendary, even if it's some piece of crap. Hearthstone is purely random so it's not like you're guaranteed to unpack a legendary after some number of packs. Even a dupe legendary is 400 dust.

Dusting prevents the game from ever having useless cards. It means even dumb duplicate commons are worth something. It means all legendary cards cost the same, so you wouldn't have a black market price of $2 for Nat Pagle and $200 for Dr. Boom. It means the available card pool isn't determined by the number of times a card is opened in a pack. So getting that legendary you need to finish that deck isn't about waiting to unpack it or just spend a ton of money on a black market. You can just eventually accumulate the dust you need to craft it.

And hey, everybody and their dog complained about how the Diablo economy was driven by the Auction House. You want to bring that sort of nonsense to Hearthstone in a P2P game?

johnsmith

remember me
I'm a new player (since the game hit android) and I have enough dust for a legendary. I mostly play mage, but I have an okay aggro hunter deck and a semi decent priest deck. I have all the naxx cards. I can't decide what to craft. Halp.

Dr Boom. He goes in every deck.

Dr. Boom. If he gets nerfed (and he will, eventually), you'll get the dust back in full and be able to craft something else.

Otherwise, I'd pick one from
Ragnaros the Firelord (guaranteed to hit something)
The Black Knight (kills big creatures with Taunt automatically, which is good at low ranks and still useful in some metas),
Sylvanas Windrunner (steals a random minion unless Silenced, stats are okay) or
Harrison Jones (destroys a weapon and draws you cards = how many charges the weapon had left, very good atm but falls in an out of favour).

Cairne Bloodhoof used to be top tier, but I would not advise crafting him atm. He can't kill a Sludge Belcher, and he's vulnerable to the Shrinkmeister/Cabal wombo combo. Don't dust him if you get one though.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
What's the purpose of the mill druid deck? I can understand mill working with Rogue because of things like vanish or sap that can kill a unit (without triggering deathrattles) when the card gets burned, but mill druid makes no sense to me.

You're giving me a ton of cards, and I burn some, but unless my deck is totally dependent on one card for its win condition (which it shouldn't) and I get it burned (which is a low percentage option since it's 1 card), you're still giving me more cards and my cards are better than yours since they aren't there to mill stuff.

To piss people off.

Levi

Banned
Dr Boom. He goes in every deck.

Dr. Boom. If he gets nerfed (and he will, eventually), you'll get the dust back in full and be able to craft something else.

Otherwise, I'd pick one from
Ragnaros the Firelord (guaranteed to hit something)
The Black Knight (kills big creatures with Taunt automatically, which is good at low ranks and still useful in some metas),
Sylvanas Windrunner (steals a random minion unless Silenced, stats are okay) or
Harrison Jones (destroys a weapon and draws you cards = how many charges the weapon had left, very good atm but falls in an out of favour).

Cairne Bloodhoof used to be top tier, but I would not advise crafting him atm. He can't kill a Sludge Belcher, and he's vulnerable to the Shrinkmeister/Cabal wombo combo. Don't dust him if you get one though.

Boom it is! I actually have a Harrison I got from opening packs. I was thinking Ragnaros because I see that card in a lot of mage net decks, but Boom looks like more fun. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom