• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Every time I go to arena and finish drafting I always feel like I regret it. Yet I keep going back. I didn't see any 1 mana cards show up until after like 20 cards...

You very, very rarely want to draft 1 mana cards anyway. Like when you're drafting minions, the only neutral 1 drop minions you should be drafting are zombie chow and worgen infiltrator. 2's, 3's, and 4's are where you want to prioritize.

Hylian7

You very, very rarely want to draft 1 mana cards anyway. Like when you're drafting minions, the only neutral 1 drop minions you should be drafting are zombie chow and worgen infiltrator. 2's, 3's, and 4's are where you want to prioritize.

Why? You have to get a good start right? That seems kind of counterintuitive.

Ashodin

Here's the Deathrattle Paladin deck

Death is Not the End

nzKjcpn.png

Oop, the last one is Tirion.

...Why aren't we playing Miracle Murlock Rogue using Old Murk Eye + Shadowstep combo? :l

You want a good start, but 1 drop minions (with a few notable exceptions) will only ever trade for 1 or less minions. Aside from this, getting a 1 drop late game is near worthless. Arena games can come down to topdeck wars more often than constructed, so this can really hurt you. The 2 drop slot is far more important for minions.

ZealousD

1 mana cards are generally a very poor value. At best you have a 2/1 that can trade up to a 3/2. And 1/2 cards are downright pathetic. It's basically impossible to go 2-for-1 with a 1 mana card. Meanwhile, the 2 slot is generally very strong, and can easily trade up to a 3-mana card at 3 health, which is actually pretty damn common (lotta 3/3's out there).

So yeah, you need a good start in arena, but that "start" is at 2 mana, not 1 mana. Even in constructed, 1 mana cards tend to only appear in aggro decks unless it's zombie chow.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not an expert but if you think about it most 1 mana minions are actually not that good, sure they can be potentially good if you have the right starting but that almost never happens. They become dead weight if you don't draw them early, at least that's how i can rationalize not putting 1 mana minions in a deck.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In this meta, you want a few, but not too many, unless your curve is just really front loaded.

Arena games, more often than not, are about attrition rather than momentum, and 1 drops are usually very bad past turns 1-4. The average deck is quicker now than before, but still not fast enough that you want more than 2-3 one drops. There's also the omnipresent thread of running into Mage, which will totally destroy most 1 drops at little cost.

johnsmith

remember me
Zombie chow is the only 1 drop I will always take. Worgen infiltrator used to be good, but not really anymore.

That being said, I did go 12 wins with a 1 drop heavy deck once, but it had insane card draw.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For me:
Cogmaster (if you can support it)
Elven Archer
Leper Gnome
Mana Wyrm
Northshire Cleric
Timber Wolf
Undertaker (if you can support it)
Webspinner
Worgen Infiltrator
Zombie Chow

These are cards I wouldn't mind taking if it was between them and something like Silverback Patriarch.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit i'm at 2 - 1 in arena with priest, i might actually break even for the first time ever

EDIT: 2-2 now :/

double edit: 2-3 :( damn druid just drafted better than me, dammit i'm pissed but i still got 50 gold back so not a loss after all.

Shaman is pretty awful at the moment. I've been screwing around with OTK builds since I'm less than 50 wins away from a gold portrait.

Reynad was saying that he would rather play pre-GvG Shaman than the new versions today.

Finally hit rank 5 so I feel safe sharing my Anti-Aggro deck for tearing up ranks 20-10.
qaUlL9P.jpg

Note: Loses to anything not Aggro. But I literally lost 1 game (Probably just a good streak. I'd guess it probably has a 70% winrate vs Aggro) against Aggro decks which are a huge part of the meta, especially at those ranks.

I love rag rng... I've literally lost about 10 coin flips in a row. Rag hits face with malganis on board... then hits face again when malganis and dr. boom are on board. Then hits dr. boom when I need it to hit face....

Shaman is pretty awful at the moment. I've been screwing around with OTK builds since I'm less than 50 wins away from a gold portrait.

Reynad was saying that he would rather play pre-GvG Shaman than the new versions today.

There was something about pre-gvg shaman that just worked better. But I have a feeling this is more due to the fact that other classes improved in a lot more than shaman did than shaman just being worse. I think the class has a lot of potential just maybe needs a lot of experimentation to find something great about them again.

--

I got a warlock mech build and I really like the concept of it. Warlock's hero power is integrated into the deck different than other warlock decks making this unlike handlock or zoo, yet sharing aspects. Early game it works to get a lot of minion presence via mechwarper + mech synergy and recover the hand via hero power, much like zoo. Except mid game it transitions into more value oriented minions like fel cannon, sludge belcher, and piloted shredder. It has burst to finish off a game via dark bomb + power overwhelming if I am ahead, but if that doesn't work the late game transitions into more fatigue oriented by allowing me to draw cards off gazlowe and react to heavy hitters via siphon soul and healbot. A game that comes down to fatigue is then won by using malganis to block fatigue damage indefinitely.

Here is the deck:
midrange_mech_warlock.png

The Adder

Banned
Choose one or the other, because doing both isn't going to work. Mech zoo is already worse than other variations of zoo, and demonlock is worse than handlock. Combining them both makes no sense at all.

I'm not particularly concerned with making decks that are good so much as decks that are fun and as good at doing what it is they're trying to do as they can be.

(Also, I already have a Demon deck and it's done worse than this one has been managing thus far. Likely due to my lack of Pit Lords and Void Terrors)

On the subject of this deck and "what it is [it's] trying to do." Basically I'm patching some of the holes in my Demon deck with mechs. Rapid hemorrhaging of life is compensated for with the presence of Healbots, as the succubus alone can't cut it. I've filled in some minion slots with minions Voidcaller can't bring out of my hand when I don't want him to. Every demon in the deck is now either Jarraxus, Minions I will have no problem evacuating from my hand due to their low mana cost, or something I actually want Voidcaller to call from the void.

With this being the case, any suggestions to improve the deck in the context of what I'm trying to do with it would be appreciated.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_142015215944_zps4017d616.png

This nonsense happens every now and then.

Fun is fine and all, I just don't see the point of fel cannon and summoning portal. Maybe just add healbots to your demon deck. You don't really have much mech synergy to really justify including more mechs.

If you do want to add more mech synergy, cut summoning portal, add 2 mechwarpers. Cut a shadowbolt or two and add a second fel cannon.

I actually don't see a problem with running mechs and demons, although it might end up being a bit more inconsistent due to that combination.

Maybe cut a siphon soul and add sylvanas. Cut voidwalkers and add clockwork gnomes. You're probably never going to want voidwalkers coming in through sense demons and definitely never being played by voidwalker.

I like parts of your deck. I've been meaning to try out floating watchers. Maybe I'll try them since they seem really good.

Strider

You sure it was trump? he is streaming a different game right now

Same Bnet isn't it? I know his steam name is different but thought this was his Bnet. Can you have the the same name but a different # at the end for Bnet? I didn't think you could.

And it looks like his stream just started back up so it's possible he logged off right after our game.

My B if it's a fake Trump lol Just thought it was cool to play against a well known streamer for once.

The Adder

Banned
Summoning portal... why? It is pretty bad.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_142015220811_zps3c5efe63.png

The spectacle.

Fun is fine and all, I just don't see the point of fel cannon and summoning portal. Maybe just add healbots to your demon deck. You don't really have much mech synergy to really justify including more mechs.

If you do want to add more mech synergy, cut summoning portal, add 2 mechwarpers. Cut a shadowbolt or two and add a second fel cannon.

I actually don't see a problem with running mechs and demons, although it might end up being a bit more inconsistent due to that combination.

Maybe cut a siphon soul and add sylvanas. Cut voidwalkers and add clockwork gnomes. You're probably never going to want voidwalkers coming in through sense demons and definitely never being played by voidwalker.

I like parts of your deck. I've been meaning to try out floating watchers. Maybe I'll try them since they seem really good.

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, I don't have Sylvanas. Cutting my walkers for Clockwork Gnomes seems like some pretty solid advice as, no, I don't particularly enjoy having them played off of Voidcallers.

ZealousD

As a newcomer, should i be buying classic or gng packs with my gold?

In the short term, classic is probably better unless you really like the idea of mech decks, but long term you need to think about getting both at a ratio of 2 classic packs for every 1 GvG pack. Arena will only give you GvG packs, so adjust accordingly based on how much you play arena.

In general, you really want to avoid getting duplicate cards as much as you can. Going with a 2:1 ratio gives you the best chance of avoiding that as the classic set has about twice as many cards as the GvG set. Avoid crafting commons and rares as much as you can, as you'll be getting a lot of duplicates for those as time goes on..

Same Bnet isn't it? I know his steam name is different but thought this was his Bnet. Can you have the the same name but a different # at the end for Bnet? I didn't think you could.

And it looks like his stream just started back up so it's possible he logged off right after our game.

My B if it's a fake Trump lol Just thought it was cool to play against a well known streamer for once.

There can be an unlimited amount of people using trump as their name. There is no exclusivity to battlenet names.

Strider

There can be an unlimited amount of people using trump as their name. There is no exclusivity to battlenet names.

Really? Wow didn't know that. Surprised there aren't a lot more fakes then tbh. I figured he was just testing new decks out early on in the season.

Well fake Trump is really bad at the druid mill kripp has been playing then lol

Strider

Yeah real trump is already legend

Damn lol My thought process was it was probably really him since he may have played less at the beginning of a season as a break from ladder, especially with the esl tournament going on as he may have spoent his time preparing for that.... And then of course testing out different decks. Oh well.

The Adder

Banned
Ugh. Why do I have so many Priest cards in only gold? I have a full set of Shadow Madness and a Cabal Shadow Priest in gold, but not any regular versions. I'm _this_ close to crafting another legendary. Oh well.

rac

Banned
Guess it's not safe to just pay casual right now since there are tons of people trying out that mill druid deck.

I hope they just get matched up against each other. At least that way it keeps everybody else safe for the rest of the day.

Ugh. Why do I have so many Priest cards in only gold? I have a full set of Shadow Madness and a Cabal Shadow Priest in gold, but not any regular versions. I'm _this_ close to crafting another legendary. Oh well.

I destroyed my priest kit back when it was terrible and I was still building out my collection a lot. Cabals, Shadow Madness, Shadowform, etc.

Haven't played it since. And I still don't have the cards to properly play it either.

Still kind of upset that my only "fully complete" top-tier deck of miracle rogue was destroyed. Invested a lot into it at the time. Would be nice if I could 1:1 swap my Leeroy and VanCleef for something else right now. Alas.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Going up vs Mill Druid is interesting with a Zoo Warlock. I think if played a bit better the thing likely shuts me down, even with a ton of free cards the removal hurts. Though luckily when he played tree of life I had enough cards down to do 20 damage in a single turn.

Fun deck to try, named after what your opponent thinks when they see Dalaran Mage come out.

The aim is simple. Mulligan for Defias and then play low cost minions that break the balance of the rogue spells. Then control things with toys like 4 damage fan on knives before finishing with Malygnos into crack or sinister strike.

Works surprisingly well.

Ashodin

Fun deck to try, named after what your opponent thinks when they see Dalaran Mage come out.

The aim is simple. Mulligan for Defias and then play low cost minions that break the balance of the rogue spells. Then control things with toys like 4 damage fan on knives before finishing with Malygnos into crack or sinister strike.

Works surprisingly well.
What rank are you playing this at good sir

What rank are you playing this at good sir

Rank 15-14.

It is by no means a consistent deck but it has beaten both Control Warrior and Handlock. Especially dropping VanCleef seems to help catch people off guard, because they start playing "normally" when they really shouldn't.

The Control Warrior was salty as fuck which makes it fun.

tylerf

I just spent 3 games messing around in casual trying to use a force tank/recombobulator combo for fun and when I finally get them both in my hand at the same time.....it transforms into another force tank. Got a good laugh out of it at least.

Xanathus

Goddamnit my first loss in a long while is against a priest who has TWO fucking Mind Controls in his deck. Get rekt by zoo or hunter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom