• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

Crazy that this trash draft went to 10

hearthstone_screenshoh3syh.png

hearthstone_screensho5uslt.png

hearthstone_screenshobisy7.png

hearthstone_screensho41smf.png

Terrible rewards but nice pack

I keep telling you guys Warlock is really good in arena now

Minsc

Gold Member
Minsc, did I just play vs you (rank 14 Shaman)?

Or was it someone else?

Sounds like me (I'm around there and did run Shaman this morning, as I mostly do), but the couple games I played today are already a bit of a blur (happens when you queue in to Druid after Druid after Druid, especially since Shaman is so vulnerable to those KotGs), sorry I can't recall it specifically. Minsc #1352 if anyone wants to add me, though I may be a bit slow accepting requests, generally I tend to avoid them unless I recognize the person sending them. I could probably use a few more active friends to spectate when I'm bored, most of the people I added a while back have lost interest in the game.

What a nice, balanced card

Not a ridiculous load of horse shit whatsoever

I'd feel sorry, but, well, it's anti-Handlock (which is a good thing imo)... so you gotta deal :p

Besides, if you ran BGH, that'd make a 2:1 trade with a banana, clear the giant and Mukla.

ViviOggi

At 7-1 with a really damn good Warlock deck, beat five or six Mages in a row

Next two games:

I have lethal next turn (would have had it this turn if not for a topdecked Sen'Jin) - double Fireball to the face

I have lethal next turn (would have had it this turn if not for a topdecked Exorcist) - triple Soulfire to the face

Fuck this piece of shit game

Besides, if you ran BGH, that'd make a 2:1 trade with a banana, clear the giant and Mukla.

That's not it, check what's written below the cards. Also that's arena

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I was watching a HS stream last night and this guy was creating a deck for arena by using a website... does everyone who play arena do this? I always wonder why I get my ass handed to me when I play that mode lol.

Until you learn how Arena works, it's definitely a good idea to use a site like ArenaValue to avoid picking rubbish cards (no one good will ever draft Silverback Patriarch or Eye for an Eye, unless offered utter bilge, two cards I saw played earlier by the same person), and follow some basic drafting rules about 2-drops, 4-drops and big guys to make sure you can contest the board early and curve out. But a really strong Arena player knows the game well enough to know better than a generic value aggregator what's best for their deck and approach.

inky

I'd feel sorry, but, well, it's anti-Handlock (which is a good thing imo)... so you gotta deal :p

Umm.. What? 2 UPs gave his opponent that combo... in arena.

Minsc

Gold Member
Umm.. What? 2 UPs gave his opponent that combo... in arena.

Yeah, I missed that was in Arena... my bad (is there even a way to know that vs thinking it was just a normal casual match?). My current Mage run in Arena I've yet to start also has 2 portals drafted in it, so I'll probably get only parrots and footmen for that now.

Got knocked out of my 7 win arena to the biggest topdecks ever.

I have lethal on the board against hunter. He has 0 creatures and cards in hand and top decks deathwing into faceless manipulator back to back.

ugh fml.

The unstable portal stuff reminds me of ragnaros hitting the worst target like 10 times in a row. At one point my opponent had malganis only. Hits face. Next turn he has 4 minions on board. Hits face. Then he has dr. boom and nothing else. I win if I hit face and I lose to fatigue if I hit dr. boom... So after 2-3 turns of hitting face, he finally decides to hit a minion.

The ramp control deck I made... I feel is awesome. But ragnaros single handedly made it look like bad.

Taz

How can you draft a hand with 4 fireballs in arena and in three games draw just one and go 0-3 sure the rest of the deck was weak but come on! I did have a good run with a Paladin deck though.

This is my first time at the arena, making a rogue deck, and I'm presented with the following choice:

According to what I'm reading, all are high-tier choices. Auto-barber would go great with my many weapon cards and 2 mechwarpers, another boulderfist ogre would give me more lategame and backstab is simply a good card.

What do hearthstonegaf?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Boulderfist. You're in the last 7 cards of your deck and have hardly any late game to speak of. Your curve is a disaster.

This is my first time at the arena, making a rogue deck, and I'm presented with the following choice:

According to what I'm reading, all are high-tier choices. Auto-barber would go great with my many weapon cards and 2 mechwarpers, another boulderfist ogre would give me more lategame and backstab is simply a good card.

What do hearthstonegaf?

I would do backstab. You already have 3 deadly poisons and an ogre. Backstab allows for sick opening plays with SI:7, enables other combos, and is just generally versatile and useful.

Boulderfist. You're in the last 7 cards of your deck and have hardly any late game to speak of. Your curve is a disaster.

I would do backstab. You already have 3 deadly poisons and an ogre. Backstab allows for sick opening plays with SI:7, enables other combos, and is just generally versatile and useful.

Thanks team.

Welp, here it is: http://i.imgur.com/CHJYwFK.png

I'm kicking myself for choosing auto-barber over harvest golem earlier, but aside from that this deck doesn't seem too... disastrous? Wish me luck boys.

Haly

Imo it's:

First 10 cards: Quality over Curve
Second 10 cards: Curve over Quality
Last 10 cards: Fill in gaps in curve/quality

You're just asking for pain if your curve doesn't look like some variant of this:

Leezard

Imo it's:

First 10 cards: Quality over Curve
Second 10 cards: Curve over Quality
Last 10 cards: Fill in gaps in curve/quality

You're just asking for pain if your curve doesn't look like some variant of this:

Unless you are hunter/Zoo/handlock/control warrior

ViviOggi

Card quality is pretty good across the board but that low of a curve with almost no card draw is going to backfire at some point. And yeah, one or two more good 3-drops would have been key. Also I wouldn't have taken the second Twilight Drake, with your draft you're lucky to get a Yeti out of it.

It's not terrible though, just prone to running out of gas so go for value trades and avoid overcommitting into AoEs. As long as you curve out well you should be in a decent spot. Face damage taken from weapon usage will likely be a problem down the line though.

Haly

Unless you are hunter/Zoo/handlock/control warrior

Well constructed is a different animal.

Agreed with Vivi. Twilight Drake, while generally good, is bad for your draft because you're going to be dumping your hand every game. That means your Twilight Drakes are actually overcosted Injured Blademasters.

What do hearthstonegaf?

I would pick boulderfist ogre. You have so much early game already that picking autobarber or backstab can actually hurt your deck. You only have 5 minions of 5+ cost so far and boulderfist is pretty much the best 6 drop you can hope for. And the way drafts tend to work out now is that you may not get another premium high cost minion making your late game very weak.

You have to think about curve more than simply what the best card is when you're that late into the draft and frankly I don't think the draft is good with only 1x 3 drop, 3x 4 drops, and 5x 5+ drops. Maybe you got lucky and they gave you the cards you need to round it out well, but with only azure drake as card draw, I think you're going to run out of steam pretty fast.

edit:
Just saw your final draft. I think you could get around 7 wins top with the deck. Just my guess though. Maybe you play it very well and your opponents fall before a flurry of 2 drops.

Dreavus

What a nice, balanced card

Not a ridiculous load of horse shit whatsoever

I was going to comment on how that's kind of a cool little combo he's thought of, then I saw that they were both portal minions. The chances of getting those two must be ridiculously small.

ViviOggi

I was going to comment on how that's kind of a cool little combo he's thought of, then I saw that they were both portal minions. The chances of getting those two must be ridiculously small.

The worst part is that like Soka mentioned he didn't even take advantage of the bananas and it was still obscene value

Haly

Hearthstone: So newbie friendly, the game will innovate strategies for you.

Leezard

Well constructed is a different animal.

Agreed with Vivi. Twilight Drake, while generally good, is bad for your draft because you're going to be dumping your hand every game. That means your Twilight Drakes are actually overcosted Injured Blademasters.

oh right, I missed that the conversation was about arena drafting. It is indeed decent advice for that.

As a newbie should I save up gold for arena/naxx or just keep buying packs?

I also need to get this running on my OnePlus One as my tablet probably can't run it very well

Got to 5 wins, way more than I was expecting. Last loss was to a warrior that got micro machine, then two consecutive deathlords to stall me out while the micro machine went face. Dead by turn six :eek:

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
The worst fucking thing that can happen to you is to lose because of a mistake you made, i just loss a game because i forgot to attack in a turn......always fucking attack in a turn.

Triz

The worst fucking thing that can happen to you is to lose because of a mistake you made, i just loss a game because i forgot to attack in a turn......always fucking attack in a turn.

I had a Mage to 1 health as Hunter so instant win. Kids distract me and my thumb accidentally hits end turn as I hold the iPad to talk to them. I lost :(

squidyj

I had a coghammer up and I reflexively daggered up to use my mana.... I would ahve had lethal next turn if I hadnt done that, instead I lost the video game :(

Sounds like me (I'm around there and did run Shaman this morning, as I mostly do), but the couple games I played today are already a bit of a blur (happens when you queue in to Druid after Druid after Druid, especially since Shaman is so vulnerable to those KotGs), sorry I can't recall it specifically. Minsc #1352 if anyone wants to add me, though I may be a bit slow accepting requests, generally I tend to avoid them unless I recognize the person sending them. I could probably use a few more active friends to spectate when I'm bored, most of the people I added a while back have lost interest in the game.

Sorry, I was one of the druids. Formthehead#1590

Awesome title change. Also, I haven't noticed, but do beasts from Webspinner also get an annotation like minions from Unstable Portal? They probably should.

Awesome title change. Also, I haven't noticed, but do beasts from Webspinner also get an annotation like minions from Unstable Portal? They probably should.

I'd rather they didn't, I'd rather think that King Krush that hit me in the face for exact lethal was in the other guy's deck from the start.

I don't understand why Bloodmage Thalnos is a legendary when Loot Horder is a common. They are the same card except Thalnos has 1 less attack and +1 spell damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom