• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Such bullshit, feel your pain man.

As someone who plays mostly ramp Druid i got to say that isn't bullshit it's just a strategy, he just got lucky with the hand that's all. Innervate can be really fucking good but it's value rapidly diminishes as turns happens, it can actually become a dead card if you draw it too late to make use of it.

I just saw this today and thought it was kind of neat :p
CCH4kPh.png

I watched reynad play some hunter last night. Looked like an interesting midrange undertaker build.

I also think I want to mess around feign death (reynad wasn't running it, I just think it could be interesting).

Yep. I had no answer for it either.

By the time the feral spirits came out on t3 and double totem on t4, it was game set & match.

Two totems on turn 4 directly after a turn 3 Feral Spirit? How? Overload should've restricted him to just 1.

I watched reynad play some hunter last night. Looked like an interesting midrange undertaker build.

I also think I want to mess around feign death (reynad wasn't running it, I just think it could be interesting).

Feign Death can be pretty strong. I had a Hunter play Sylvanas, Feign Death, Feign Death on turn 10. I got really lucky because I had 4 minions on board including my own Sylvanas. Had he stolen her with the first Feign Death, I would've been completely screwed. Luckily, he never got my Sylvanas, and I finished him the next turn.

I actually think feign death is a pretty bad card overall. Sometimes you hit it big but every other time it seems to just be a poor card to include especially since it does nothing without board presence and even then specific deathrattles worth using FD on.

Two totems on turn 4 directly after a turn 3 Feral Spirit? How? Overload should've restricted him to just 1.

Yeah, you're right. This happened last night so the third came out t5.

Guess I'm making it worse than it was, but still. I couldn't compete with that, and every match I faced complete nutty draws.

If you're runnig Sylvanas, Feugen and Stalagg already I'd try to put one Reincarnate back in. Especially the Sylvanas combo is insane for a two-card one.

I haven't seen a single Mill Druid here on EU at around rank 10.

Nerubian Egg is amazing in Shaman (unless you're facing an endless pool of druids), you're crazy for not running it. Between FTT and Rockbiter you can take out a Belcher or any other X/5 minion and get a 6/4 back, as well as buff a second minion to 2+ attack (can finish off a Belcher with a regular totem).

Second the Reincarate + Sylvanas comment. Do you want to beat control Paladins and control Warriors? This combo wins you those matches, bar-none. I don't think I've ever lost to a Paladin or Control Warrior as Shaman, when I've drawn that combo and my hexes and silences. The games run to fatigue a lot, and getting 3:1 (or more) out of Sylvanas is just impossible to recover from.

I'm not running the wolves anymore, actually overload 2 is something I try to avoid entirely. Sets me back a whole turn usually. Dr Boom works great with undertaker (if you don't get to play Undertaker early), so do the eggs, and thanos and other cards. Undertaker works pretty well for drawing silences away from the MTT too.

I'd remove S&F and probably put in a Fire Elemental and Bloodlust, but that's just me. I like to have some way to punish my opponent for letting me amass a full set of 0/2 totems and a couple other creatures, which happens more frequently than I really expect, and Bloodlust works as an additional activator for the Eggs if you need to drop your Rockbiter and FTTs earlier. Doom Hammer is better in the mirror, but I find Bloodlust to be undervalued, and even if I only have 2 minions on board, it is still giving +6 attack in a crunch (ideally there'd be 3+ though).

Thanks for the comments. I dropped Stalagg and Feugen for a Fire Elemental and a Reincarnate. I tried hard to like Bloodlust, but I found myself drawing it far too early too often and it seems horrid against aggro match-ups. I had similar experiences with Nerubian Egg; despite having a few ways to activate it, if I don't draw those activators early enough I end up with another dead card that is reliant on something else to be functional.

I'm a bit disappointed having just a single Fire Elemental though, so I may find room for a 2nd one or drop it for something else. Still need to play with it more to decide.

In other news, I crafted a Dr. Boom about a week ago and then today pulled one from a pack... first GvG legendary I've gotten after about 30 packs. But, hey, it should make for a nice 1600 dust some day when the nerf hits.

inky

I hate cancer Hunter, but I love doing Hunter quests. People just leave half the time, lol. Especially if you have Undertaker opener.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Remember how everyone thought Feign Death was the most OP card in GvG :b

Suckers!

It could still be. We just don't know because it doesn't fit into the same kind of deck that uses the most OP cards from Naxx. Undertaker and Mad Scientist are just keeping Hunter locked into the aggro box so nobody wants to play anything else.

ViviOggi

It could still be. We just don't know because it doesn't fit into the same kind of deck that uses the most OP cards from Naxx. Undertaker and Mad Scientist are just keeping Hunter locked into the aggro box so nobody wants to play anything else.
Pretty much. Nowadays Hunters are even cutting Houndmaster and Highmane in favor of the early game and pure Face Huntard with Golem, Wolfrider etc. has been popping up again as well.

gutshot

So what's the key in stopping that deck? I've seen it played on stream but I haven't actually went up against it on the ladder yet.

I don't know. The one time I played it as hunter I tried to save as much burst as I could so that once he used his Tree of Life I could burst him down and then win the fatigue battle. But he never even had to play Tree of Life since he used Healing Touch twice and Antique Healbot 3 times (thanks to Youthful). That's a ridiculous 40 points of healing, for those counting at home. We both went to fatigue and then I lost.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

heh heh heh heh heh

It would be unseemly of me to go back and dig up old posts but looking at them makes me smile.

Especially when Trump and Kripp were hyping it up on their analyses.

I love the games where your opponent gets super confident. You're down to 10 hp. And then:

The equalizer comes into play. Blade flurry. And your opponent can't refill their board and they only have reactive cards to work with. In this case it was a priest who got cocky with a 5/8 loatheb, sludge belcher, and NSC. I was down to 10hp with assassin's blade equipped. I prep'd, si7 agent hitting the belcher, sword oil, hit sludge belcher (cause im ballsy and have healbot in hand anyway), then blade flurry clear board. All he could do is shadowpain death my si7 agent (great cause I have captain greenskin coming up anyway).

I build up a decent board with healbot + greenskin and van cleef. Van cleef gets shrinkmeistered + cabal'd. Oh noes, I lost a 4/4 to an 8 mana combo. Then: (okay no pic this time), the equalizer comes into play and I blade flurry with just the 2 attack dagger from greenskin and I managed to clear board again with only paying 4 hp and healbot. This lets me safely walk him down to death and the turn before lethal all he does is mind control a 4/1 minion... lol.

Suckers!

I was in the camp that it sucks for aggro and it does. And I think its mediocre in every deck I've come across. I forget if I said it completely sucks or not back then but that was my thoughts.

I also thought gahzrilla was being overhyped. I thought implosion was pretty good. I knew shieldmaiden was great. I knew muster for battle was great.

inky

Who declared Feign Death dead anyway? Or the most OP as well? It just felt Hunter was getting mostly solid cards back then.

A couple of posts and you people act as if it is a well known, irrevocable truth. A couple of early attempts were decent enough, and I don't think I've seen a serious one yet. It's just other Hunter cards fit the meta better, because those cards work with others which are still fucking OP. wink wink Undertaker wink wink Mad Scientist.

ViviOggi

There's simply no reason to experiment with cards like Gahz'rilla and FD when Hunter currently gets stronger the further it moves towards early UT flood and face gameplans. I still believe they'd be good cards in midrange variants once they become more viable again.

The one card I was really wrong about is Mustard, it's pretty damn good in multiple situations. The midrange style it enables together with QM and Minibot actually made me enjoy playing the class in constructed.

Who declared Feign Death dead anyway? Or the most OP as well? It just felt Hunter was getting mostly solid cards back then.

A couple of posts and you people act as if it is a well known, irrevocable truth. A couple of early attempts were decent enough, and I don't think I've seen a serious one yet. It's just other Hunter cards fit the meta better, because those cards work with others which are still fucking OP. wink wink Undertaker wink wink Mad Scientist.

I didn't call it dead. In fact I am a little bit more open to it after gvg has released than I was before it. That said, it is still my opinion that it is a bad card. I'm only talking opinion of course. Figured that was pretty much assumed.

hunter hero power means it will never be a good midrange or control deck. the sniper guy isn't a good enough card to change that. the slowest hunter decks that work consistently only run 6 drops for a reason.

johnsmith

remember me
It was already the best midrange deck of all time before the nerfs. And the current best control deck also has a similarly useless hero power in that it doesn't affect the board (warrior). Aggro hunter is just too good, but midrange and control are viable but not as ridiculously op.

It was already the best midrange deck of all time before the nerfs. And the current best control deck also has a similarly useless hero power in that it doesn't affect the board (warrior). Aggro hunter is just too good, but midrange and control are viable but not as ridiculously op.

warrior hero power let's you stretch out the game way longer and it feeds shield slam which is one of the best removal spells in the game. and midranger hunter relied on a broken synergy that let it reclaim board control while refilling its hand.

inky

It was already the best midrange deck of all time before the nerfs. Aggro hunter is just too good, but midrange and control are viable but not as ridiculously op.

Yea, precisely. I remember Kolento's deck (and maybe lifecoach's too) came soon after the nerfs and were pretty solid. Kolento's particularly made good use of Rhino, who at the time people thought was a hard card to fit. Naxx just pretty much eliminated any reason for anyone to try anything different, and its still the case.

I don't think Hunter's hero power is reason enough for it to never be viable again, but it doesn't help it isn't as versatile as others.

I think hunter's hero power is still good in control vs control. It is really vs aggro/midrange where it is bad. Even priest sometimes wants to ping face for 2 damage costing 2 mana, which is why auchenai soulpriest is a good late game card in control v control match ups. It probably won't win on its own but definitely enough to keep it hunter in the game.

I think steamwheedle has a place in hunter control, but not quite sure how well it fills that roll tbh. Its like a mini auchenai but there is no circle and you're probably very tempted to just throw it down and hope it survives to get hero power value later. I'd imagine hunter's mark, sniper + hero power is pretty good removal in a pinch.

ViviOggi

Control Hunter simply doesn't do anything other control decks don't do better and a poor man's Auchenai isn't going to change that. Steady Shot is predestined for an overwhelming aggro/midrange style.

Warrior isn't really comparable as his hero power not only enables one of the best removals in the game but is also crucial to running such a 'greedy', high-curve deck on the ladder.

Hey guys, new to this thread but been playing HS for a while now. Anyone tried out the new druid mill deck?

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/152653-dlineman-mill-druid

I have a few different cards than this but the idea is the same. Grove Tender, Tree of Life, and Heal Bot have really made druid mill viable. It absolutely crushes handlock and control warrior and does very well against other control. Aggro can be tough if they get out of hand but everything loses to that. If you can last long enough to get you board clear combos they will run out of steam. I lost to a deathrattle hunter only because ALL of my heals were in the last 10 cards of the deck.

I'm up to rank 15 with this so far and it's a lot of fun, especially if you are against someone who doesn't know what is going on and plays an Acolyte or something.

Madn

I've just had the most incredible match. I crafted a mage deck with only spells and two apprentice. I managed to stall into late game with frostbolts and cones of cold. At that point i had all the secrtes activated and the opponent played a sneeds. I got my own copy, destroyed his with a fireball and killed with my own sneed the loathed that came out. The next turn he managed to kill my sneed but gave me two copies of him in my hand so he ragequit. I couldn't believe it. I just wish I were recording it

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
hunter hero power means it will never be a good midrange or control deck. the sniper guy isn't a good enough card to change that. the slowest hunter decks that work consistently only run 6 drops for a reason.

Midrange is completely doable. Just like midrange priest is totally fine.

Triz

Opponent Mage gets a fel reaver from unstable portal with about half his deck left. I have 2 taunts up along with a couple one drops cause I had a hobgoblin up. I echo of medveh, then play the rest of my spare parts and Jeeves. Drain his deck and proceed to kill him off from 25 hp of fatigue. Feels good man.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Is that the one that runs an assload of heals too? I blame Kripp for making that deck as prevalent on ladder as it is. Really annoying deck to play against.

Yep. They Grove Tender early for a card, Naturalize a threat, let their health drop - then Tree of Life into double Brewmastered Coldlights.

So. Fucking. Irritating.

Yep. They Grove Tender early for a card, Naturalize a threat, let their health drop - then Tree of Life into double Brewmastered Coldlights.

So. Fucking. Irritating.
Naturalize is best saved for fatigue damage since it doesn't draw you cards.

Opponent Mage gets a fel reaver from unstable portal with about half his deck left. I have 2 taunts up along with a couple one drops cause I had a hobgoblin up. I echo of medveh, then play the rest of my spare parts and Jeeves. Drain his deck and proceed to kill him off from 25 hp of fatigue. Feels good man.
I did 66 fatigue dmg to a warrior today. Dude held on for a while.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Hey guys, new to this thread but been playing HS for a while now. Anyone tried out the new druid mill deck?

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/152653-dlineman-mill-druid

I have a few different cards than this but the idea is the same. Grove Tender, Tree of Life, and Heal Bot have really made druid mill viable. It absolutely crushes handlock and control warrior and does very well against other control. Aggro can be tough if they get out of hand but everything loses to that. If you can last long enough to get you board clear combos they will run out of steam. I lost to a deathrattle hunter only because ALL of my heals were in the last 10 cards of the deck.

I'm up to rank 15 with this so far and it's a lot of fun, especially if you are against someone who doesn't know what is going on and plays an Acolyte or something.

Yes, as you may have seen in earlier posts some total fucking douchebags are running it and should be beaten within an inch of their lives for doing so.

What? Bitter? Me? Never!

Yes, as you may have seen in earlier posts some total fucking douchebags are running it and should be beaten within an inch of their lives for doing so.

What? Bitter? Me? Never!
It's interesting how it came about. Druid mill was always a thing, just not a very good one but then Blizzard designed cards for GvG that all but shouted DRUID MILL IS VIABLE NOW, GO PLAY IT! Even though Malorne isn't used in the deck, he works best when your deck size is low so the new druid mill seems to be no accident. Blizzard wanted it to happen so if you're mad go beat them haha.

iirate

I love the games where your opponent gets super confident. You're down to 10 hp. And then:

The equalizer comes into play. Blade flurry. And your opponent can't refill their board and they only have reactive cards to work with. In this case it was a priest who got cocky with a 5/8 loatheb, sludge belcher, and NSC. I was down to 10hp with assassin's blade equipped. I prep'd, si7 agent hitting the belcher, sword oil, hit sludge belcher (cause im ballsy and have healbot in hand anyway), then blade flurry clear board. All he could do is shadowpain death my si7 agent (great cause I have captain greenskin coming up anyway).

I build up a decent board with healbot + greenskin and van cleef. Van cleef gets shrinkmeistered + cabal'd. Oh noes, I lost a 4/4 to an 8 mana combo. Then: (okay no pic this time), the equalizer comes into play and I blade flurry with just the 2 attack dagger from greenskin and I managed to clear board again with only paying 4 hp and healbot. This lets me safely walk him down to death and the turn before lethal all he does is mind control a 4/1 minion... lol.

I was in the camp that it sucks for aggro and it does. And I think its mediocre in every deck I've come across. I forget if I said it completely sucks or not back then but that was my thoughts.

I also thought gahzrilla was being overhyped. I thought implosion was pretty good. I knew shieldmaiden was great. I knew muster for battle was great.

Valeera is the comeback queen of the game. I win so many games on the back of Blade Flurry seemingly out of nowhere. I swear half the games I've called as a loss myself end up as wins when I play her.

That said, buffadin is my top deck ATM. I'm beating everything with it, and a huge number of opponents just quit when they realize what they're against. Everyone walks right into its combos thinking you're another brand of pally.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
It's interesting how it came about. Druid mill was always a thing, just not a very good one but then Blizzard designed cards for GvG that all but shouted DRUID MILL IS VIABLE NOW, GO PLAY IT! Even though Malorne isn't used in the deck, he works best when your deck size is low so the new druid mill seems to be no accident. Blizzard wanted it to happen so if you're mad go beat them haha.

That would put me out of a job. :

ViviOggi

It makes no sense that the only combo deck Miracle was deemed non-interactive but Mill Druid is actively encouraged

Either way I welcome any viable archetype that isn't geared towards minion trading

That would put me out of a job. :
This keeps happening, you need a tag :p

Majine

Banned
I'm having a lot of fun with this Gazlowe Priest deck. It has enough randomness with spare parts and Gazlowe that every match gets interesting in some way. I've already gotten Sneed's Old Shredder twice and Iron Juggernaut once.

iEgVuCzJwZuC1.png

Just got into this last night and have been playing non stop.

Apparently Hunter is OP? How is the balance currently?

All this makes me want to do is play similar games... Why hasn't Magic done this already? F2P on mobiles and computers... I mean magic looks so much cooler but I'm not one to invest in buying cards

Nocturn

Neo Member
Just got into this last night and have been playing non stop.

Apparently Hunter is OP? How is the balance currently?

All this makes me want to do is play similar games... Why hasn't Magic done this already? F2P on mobiles and computers... I mean magic looks so much cooler but I'm not one to invest in buying cards

There is a Magic for smartphones. Xbox 360 too. I haven't downloaded it yet but its description suggest its the same as hearthstone?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Because it would cannibalize sales of the paper game.

Wizards is, first and foremost, a physical game maker. They're about 10 years behind the curve BUT Magic remains profitable so they never have any real reason to change their business strategy.

spoon!

The randomness on unstable portal is insane.

Was playing control warrior against Mage. In the early game after annoytron, chugga, Blast Mage. Stabilised a bit with an execute, shield slam then belcher on board and more armor/taunts to come. Thought maybe I could swing the momentum back.

And then unstable portal -> black knight :-(

Because it would cannibalize sales of the paper game.

Wizards is, first and foremost, a physical game maker. They're about 10 years behind the curve BUT Magic remains profitable so they never have any real reason to change their business strategy.

Yeah but.. seems they can balance both and make a lot in digital sales from new fans.

Especially if you could somehow register your physical cards digitally

Anyways, when does pay to win affect hearthstone? Im playing ranked and everything seems fine so far

Why play arena?

Yeah but.. seems they can balance both and make a lot in digital sales from new fans.

Anyways, when does pay to win affect hearthstone? Im playing ranked and everything seems fine so far

This is Wizards we're talking about. They couldn't balance a can of coke on a perfectly flat table without it exploding and pissing everyone off, and their ability to fuck up sure things is unmatched. They have Duels of the Planeswalkers specifically to get new fans, and Magic Online if you feel like time-travelling to 1998.

And with Hearthstone, everyone pays, so pay to win is largely irrelevant. Either you pay the money or the time.

1092708-ted_dibiase_1_.jpg

"Everybody's got a price. Everybody's gonna pay."

Why play arena?
People complain that it is pay to win because you can drop monies on packs and unlock better cards faster than someone who doesn't spend. I've spent a lot on the game and have a lot of great cards but I still lose to warlock zoo decks that are very cheap to craft since they have no epics or legendaries.

Arena is a draft so it gives you the opportunity to play with cards you don't have and once you get good you can make more gold than you spend and play forever for free. Eventually you will get all the cards you want to play constructed from packs and dust earned in the arena.

ViviOggi

There's no p2w in the sense that paying players have a straight advantage over free users during a match just by virtue of better cards, given that they're equally skilled and both running viable decks. It's more like p(l)ay for options, you generally need a decent card pool to play the slower control archetypes. On the other hand the cheapest decks like Zoo Warlock and Aggro(/Midrange) Hunter have always been among the fastest and most consistent ones for climbing the ladder. Also aside from Naxxramas real money doesn't get you that far on average, it can provide a nice boost at the absolute beginning but simply dropping 60 bucks likely won't let you play, say, Control Warrior. Collecting is part of the appeal and first and foremost it takes time.

Why play arena?
That's what I keep asking myself. The drafting format is a nice change of pace in theory but the utterly ridiculous strength of Mage can be frustrating. Most importantly though you get way better rewards for doing well in arena than in constructed.

Brofist

Highlight of my night, Shrinkmeister and Shadow Madness a Sneed's Old Shredder and recombob it into another Sneed's. Took me a few seconds to process, I thought the game glitched or something. A 3 card 8 mana mind control though, I'll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom