• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

Highlight of my night, Shrinkmeister and Shadow Madness a Sneed's Old Shredder and recombob it into another Sneed's. Took me a few seconds to process, I thought the game glitched or something. A 3 card 8 mana mind control though, I'll take it.
Yeah I've been getting decent results with a variant of Amaz's stealing Priest. I insta-concede vs CW (which I've thankfully encountered much more rarely than last season) and Paladin is a toss-up but I dominate Huntards and Zoo unless they get a total dream start.

Why play arena?

I play it for 4 reasons:

- I like there's a little more at stake, and the opportunity to reap big rewards if you do well. I still play constructed occasionally for casual matches/daily challenges.
- I enjoy the drafting process, as cruel it can sometimes be.
- As a new player who hasn't spend any money on the game, I sometimes feel very underpowered vs decks that run various top-tier collectible cards, or even legendaries. In arena, I'm not affected by my small card pool.
- The reward packs help me grow my card pool for when I do play constructed. So far I've been good enough at arena to make it more efficient than straight buying card packs, though I do wish I could get classic packs as a reward instead.

Majine

Banned
Today I learned if you shadow madness a minion and then faceless it, the faceless'd one will also have the status as "borrowed" :(

Thanks for the info everyone.

What Im saying though is that I am level 22 and playing tons of matchmaking but never see any unusual cards. Is the game not that varied? Where are the payable card players/cards?

Thanks for the info everyone.

What Im saying though is that I am level 22 and playing tons of matchmaking but never see any unusual cards. Is the game not that varied? Where are the payable card players/cards?
There are lots of cards that are bad and never used. People tend to play what is the best without much variation so you will see a lot of the same stuff. Eventually you will be able to know almost every card a person has in the deck based on what they play after the first couple turns.

Also people who have the better and more interesting cards rise in the ladder fast because they have better cards and are better players.

Brofist

I've said it before:

Priest thoughtsteal:

against rogue:
eviscerate and si7 agent, sometimes sprint

It is basically hard coded
kappa

In the miracle rogue days it was more like deadly poison and blade flurry every time.

Why play arena?

Variety. A break from playing the same 5 net decks over and over. Yeah people tend to draft the same cards, but at least there is some deviation.

Too bad mages are so strong, and they account for 75% of my encounters or I'd play even more.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Made it to rank 14 with agro mech mage, now I just keep getting matched up with control warriors. Maybe I should tune up my warlock zoo deck and give it a try.

Made it to rank 14 with agro mech mage, now I just keep getting matched up with control warriors. Maybe I should tune up my warlock zoo deck and give it a try.
Druid Mill dude. Not only have I not lost to a control warrior since playing it, I have absolutely decimated each one I've encountered. They have lots of card draw and you don't really care about your minions so seeing them burn a 10point shield slam on a Grove Tender because they are at 10 cards is fun. God help them if the actually play their Acolytes.

Dahbomb

Mill Druid counters all types of control decks. It really only loses to combo decks (ie decks that have a bunch of burst damage real quick like the Druid Force of Nature combo). The new and improved Mill Druid beats out aggro as well because of a ton of heals and board clears.

I will be running Mill Druid soon once I get 200 more gold to buy the last Naxx quarter.

Mill Druid counters all types of control decks. It really only loses to combo decks (ie decks that have a bunch of burst damage real quick like the Druid Force of Nature combo). The new and improved Mill Druid beats out aggro as well because of a ton of heals and board clears.

I will be running Mill Druid soon once I get 200 more gold to buy the last Naxx quarter.
What do you need from the last Naxx quarter?

I play it for 4 reasons:

- I like there's a little more at stake, and the opportunity to reap big rewards if you do well. I still play constructed occasionally for casual matches/daily challenges.
- I enjoy the drafting process, as cruel it can sometimes be.
- As a new player who hasn't spend any money on the game, I sometimes feel very underpowered vs decks that run various top-tier collectible cards, or even legendaries. In arena, I'm not affected by my small card pool.
- The reward packs help me grow my card pool for when I do play constructed. So far I've been good enough at arena to make it more efficient than straight buying card packs, though I do wish I could get classic packs as a reward instead.

Pretty much agree, even though all of my arena runs end in tears. However, and it's been said here a bunch, but it still feels like the best course for newer players is still buy two classic packs for every one arena run.

hey everyone, i'm new to the game (also never played magic or any game like this). been playing a week and a half. i really like it and the option of playing it on my kindle fire is nice. most of the stuff you guys talk about is lost on me at this point because i dont know things to the level of you guys but ill be around.

any other new players?

johnsmith

remember me
Adrianne Curry streams Hearthstone.

GIS
obama-wiping-sweat-from-forehead.jpg

hey everyone, i'm new to the game (also never played magic or any game like this). been playing a week and a half. i really like it and the option of playing it on my kindle fire is nice. most of the stuff you guys talk about is lost on me at this point because i dont know things to the level of you guys but ill be around.

any other new players?
I recommend watching some of the top streamers play if you want to ramp up your knowledge. It really worked for me. Here's a quick list:

Hafu
Trump
Kripp
Reynad
Kolento

Dahbomb

What do you need from the last Naxx quarter?
I just want the Kel Thuzad for my collection, it's not essential for the Mill Druid deck. However I need some extra dust to craft some of the items needed for the Mill deck. So far I need the following:

1 Tree of Life (Epic)
2 Grove Tenders
2 Antique Healbot

In all honest it's a fairly cheap deck to make. The final deck is going to look like this.

1x Innervate
2x Naturalize
2x Wrath
2x Ooze
2x Wild Pyromancer
2x Grove Tender
2x Keeper of the Grove
2x Healing Touch
2x Cold Light Oracle
1x Brewmaster
1x BGH
2x Swipe
2x Starfall
2x Poison Seed
2x Starfire
2x Antique Healbot
1x Tree of Life

Basically you want to minimize having big creatures for them to use their removals on. Whatever they play you remove with spells and just heal up accordingly.

Got my first legendary! Ernest Hemingway!

Unless I'm missing something, he seems kinda... trash? 5 mana for 6/3 and a situational effect doesn't sound very impressive.

any other new players?

Newbie here too! This reddit post has helped me a bunch: http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/1ua5c9/hearthstone_for_beginners_guide_and_resource/

Szadek

I just want the Kel Thuzad for my collection, it's not essential for the Mill Druid deck. However I need some extra dust to craft some of the items needed for the Mill deck. So far I need the following:

1 Tree of Life (Epic)
2 Grove Tenders
2 Antique Healbot

In all honest it's a fairly cheap deck to make. The final deck is going to look like this.

1x Innervate
2x Naturalize
2x Wrath
2x Ooze
2x Wild Pyromancer
2x Grove Tender
2x Keeper of the Grove
2x Healing Touch
2x Cold Light Oracle
1x Brewmaster
1x BGH
2x Swipe
2x Starfall
2x Poison Seed
2x Starfire
2x Antique Healbot
1x Tree of Life

Basically you want to minimize having big creatures for them to use their removals on. Whatever they play you remove with spells and just heal up accordingly.
You need 2 brewmaster.The addtional 2 cards with cold light is what usually what lets you win the game.
It often deals like 11 damage,even more against control warrior.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
woah i just remember i had 500 amazon coins so i bought 4 classics packs and got a bunch of garbage...and a fucking Tirion Fordring! with that i got two of the paladin legendaries. I guess this is a sign i should play paladin more because i rarely play him..

johnsmith

remember me
I need a new druid list. Mech druid is too inconsistent. I think the naxx lists were probably better. Annoyatron is also underwhelming.

Nothing like playing a deck you haven't in a long time, then all of the a sudden a card pops up and you have no idea why you'd ever put it in. I was either very very tired, I clicked on the wrong card, or both.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I swear the guy I played against was running 2 mad scientists when they only had 2 secrets in their whole deck. Is that normal? I though if you ran those cards you would likely stack up on secrets, run something like 4 of them.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I swear the guy I played against was running 2 mad scientists when they only had 2 secrets in their whole deck. Is that normal? I though if you ran those cards you would likely stack up on secrets, run something like 4 of them.

Arena? I'll take a late MS or Undertaker even without synergy - great removal bait if pickings are slim.

Maybe a trap was lost due to tracking. Usually they run around 3 at least if they are running 2 mad scientists. But I guess the deathrattle might justify a second one without more secrets anyway. The deathrattle being just useful for triggering UT I mean.

johnsmith

remember me
Was watching Adrianne stream for a bit, and good god. Every turn was a Dennis play from both her and her opponent. I saw her fireball face when her opponent was at 20+ health instead dropping a yeti, or using arcane intellect when she had 4+ cards in her hand instead of dropping a minion on an empty board. People were going face with minions with 1 hp left vs mages and ignoring favorable trades. I wish I still got matched up with people like that.

Xanathus

Was watching Adrianne stream for a bit, and good god. Every turn was a Dennis play from both her and her opponent. I saw her fireball face when her opponent was at 20+ health instead dropping a yeti, or using arcane intellect when she had 4+ cards in her hand instead of dropping a minion on an empty board. People were going face with minions with 1 hp left vs mages and ignoring favorable trades. I wish I still got matched up with people like that.

What rank was she playing on?

The Adder

Banned
Just played a really fun variant of Hearthstone wherein the object was to kill me before fatigue did.

I went 6+ turns on one health and offed myself with Arcane Intellect.

So, I'm enjoying it so far and find it wins more than it loses but there are probably still kinks to iron out. If anyone has any comments I'd be happy to hear them.

If you are running the baron and Sylvanas, you need reincarnates.

Turn 10 double mind control and a 5/5? Early egg activation? It gives you heaps of options.

You'll still get done by aggro decks, but I'm convinced reincarnate Shaman beats any control deck (RNG permitting).

Minsc

Gold Member
Anyone know the drop rate of Legendaries in regular packs?

Every time you click over a single of the 5 cards in just one pack and don't see a legendary, you're losing a 1% shot of getting a legendary. And, yes, a single pack can have 3+ legendaries in it, there's no ceiling on luck.

Am I the only one who thinks they should change dr boom so that the two boom bots will appear on the same side(so you can use sunfury protector\coin+defender of argus on both)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom