• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Looking at patch notes, seems like Hunter was really OP

Is there a new tier list?

You have no idea.

The game seems to have balanced out finally honestly with control coming back into favor finally. Part of me wonders why people want to nerf Dr. Boom to oblivion (though a small nerf is warranted). Don't be shocked when Undertaker and Mad Scientist are looked at as well.

I'd guess the strongest decks in play right now are Warrior, Hunter, Paladin. Priest, Mage, Druid, Rogue and Warlock are no slouches either. I have yet to see a very successful Shaman deck sadly.

johnsmith

remember me
This is probably the worst play I've ever seen, at least this far into an arena run, I was 7-0. First he goes face with the arcane golem instead of trading up vs the panda, then he ice lances FIRST, then he frost bolts.

565TeJf.png

He conceded 2 turns later, but this is a deck with 2 lay on hands. You're not gonna burn me down.

Looking at patch notes, seems like Hunter was really OP

Is there a new tier list?

Hunters were worse before because you couldn't build up a big board, because if you did they would hit the Timber Wolf/Buzzard/Unleash combo for 6 mana, clear and draw a million cards. They were easily the best class then because their comeback potential was massive.

Last set of Power Rankings from Liquid

tl:dr
Top Tier:
Warlock
Hunter
Rogue

Tier 2:
Warrior

Tier 3:
Shaman
Druid
Priest

Bottom Tier:
Paladin
Mage

This was all pre-GVG though.

I'd be interested to see how GAF would rate the classes right now, for me it would be:

CONSTRUCTED:
Warlock
Hunter
Mage

Priest

Warrior
Paladin
Druid

Shaman
Rogue

ARENA:

Mage
Paladin
Everything else
Warrior

You have no idea.

The game seems to have balanced out finally honestly with control coming back into favor finally. Part of me wonders why people want to nerf Dr. Boom to oblivion (though a small nerf is warranted).

Lol

Who is Dr Boom?

Also, how do you guys see this game expanding?

Seems like they have made some clever cards and characters that have some sensible variations to the game, but how else can they add to them without overlapping on existing ideas, or doing something too crazy that breaks the game or makes things too complicated/meta and "jumps the shark"? What are people wanting to see?

It's pretty cool how the characters are built. Priest seems to take control of enemy cards, Hunter is aggressive, one of them does damage to himself, one has armour, one of them seems to utilize extra crystals.

Any ideas floating around in the community about the future?

Think we'll ever see PvPvP? Or even 2 v 2?

Also, out of curiousity, how much have you guys spent on this game :p

Any idea when/what the next expansion is?

I think I'm going to start investing money into this game, but I'm hoping for better community/social features to feel really connected to this as a more serious hobby.

Lol

Who is Dr Boom?

GVG_110_premium.gif

MARVEL AT HIS MIGHT!

Also, how do you guys see this game expanding?

Seems like they have made some clever cards and characters that have some sensible variations to the game, but how else can they add to them without overlapping on existing ideas and doing something too crazy?

It's pretty cool how the characters are built. Priest seems to take control of enemy cards, Hunter is aggressive, one of them does damage to himself, one has armour, one of them seems to utilize extra crystals.

Any ideas floating around in the community about the future?

Think we'll ever see PvPvP? Or even 2 v 2?

- A new solo adventure in the summer, new set in the winter seems like a winner as far as card expansions. Any more would alienate new players, the game is already quite grindy.
- Adding the two extra classes from World of Warcraft eventually
- I'd like to see 2v2, don't know how it would work in terms of gameplay. Would both players on a team take a turn at the same time, or would it go Team 1 Player 1 -> Team 2 Player 1 -> Team 1 Player 2 and so on.
- I'm not a massive Magic player, but I'd like a mode similar to Commander.
- Following on from that, eventual set rotation. Keep a Legacy mode for older players.
- Allow the player to play in Practice mode against one of their own decks.
- Being able to draft Arena and play against people on your friends list (you can kind of do this with Suggest A Card, but it could be better)

Constructed:

Top:
Warlock
Warrior
Druid

Why are you not playing Warlock, Druid, warrior tier?
Everybody else

Arena

Top tier:
mage

High tier:
wish I had got Mage
Ok Paladin I suppose

I just want this run to end tier:
Everybody else

Raxus

I think they've said they aren't doing new classes and feel like 9 is enough. I think 9 is enough personally. There are a lot of things they can do with new expansions without adding a whole new class to balance.

Seems to be a shame to not introduce Monk and Deathknight. Just focus the next expansions on their sets and class cards to even things out.

If new classes get cut I am not going to cry too hard about it. As long as they keep on top of keeping the game balanced and fun. I am just happy to stop running into hunters and warlocks every match.

Hm, what's wrong with Dr. Boom? Is it his ability?

Also, I figured new classes and card expansions are coming, but what will they possibly do differently?

How can they add new characters that are distinguished/special enough considering that the 9 existing characters all seem to be pretty unique? Is there discussion on what people want to see?

Do you guys think new mechanics will be introduced? A rock-paper-scissor elemental damage maybe? I'm curious as to what could be added, because everything seems "finished" with the game mechanics to me. New characters and cards would need new abilities, but everything seems already done so far.

I'm just curious as to what people are expecting/planning in their head :)

Raxus

Also, I figured new classes and card expansions are coming, but what will they possibly do differently?

Do you guys think new mechanics will be introduced? A rock-paper-scissor elemental damage maybe? I'm curious as to what could be added, because everything seems "finished" with the game mechanics to me. New characters and cards would need new abilities, but everything seems already done so far.

1) Sort of? He is unusually adept at clearing a field thanks to his RNG, most answers aren't ideal, and he is an excellent body. Basically he is the best turn 7 play at the moment and a large reason control resurged back into the forefront.

2) I'd imagine they'd model the classes the way they are in WoW. That being said who knows how things would turn out or what new mechanics could be introduced to minions.

3) Never. Well...not exactly. Expect things like 'Mega windfury' and things of the like but the mechanics of the game are fine as is and they obviously take a 'if it ain't broke...' mentality to this game.

So I made some slight changes to my my current Shaman deck and it seems to be doing alright. Biggest issue is other control-ish decks like Priests and Warrior. Switched out the Reincarnate, Sylvanas, and some other things I was testing out. Works a bit better There are somethings that could be changed, like Blood Lust. I put it in for the occasional time I get a full board, and it works as an Ancestor's Call/Al'Akir combo with other things on the board. I also like having Doom Hammer, but I I thought people were saying a few people are playing Jones/Oozes now or something. In any case, I think it's working slightly better than the last edition I had. If I had any problem, it's that I run out of steam if I don't get the right cards at the right time, which could just be lack of card draw.

Also thinking about trying a deck with a lower curve. Even if I have more minions, I could probably empty my hand quickly of them, and only have Al'Akir in my hand. Problem there however is drawing into a minion. I haven't tried anything out yet, but I even have some issues right now, so it's easy for me to imagine it happening a lot more with a heavy minion deck. Going to keep experimenting, see if I can this idea to work.

Wanted to ask, does anyone have the current list for what some Shamans are running now? I think it's the Ogre deck or what not.

Thanks for the help

So, I watched some videos on how to play Magic. Seems pretty fun as well. I can see the similarities with this game.

Is there a "flaw" to magic? Its been around for so long, did they introduce new mechanics that damaged the game?

Thanks for the help

So, I watched some videos on how to play Magic. Seems pretty fun as well. I can see the similarities with this game.

Is there a "flaw" to magic? Its been around for so long, did they introduce new mechanics that damaged the game?

Not really, just complexity and price.

Hearthstone could be seen as an accessible gateway.

I wonder why more decks aren't running bomb lobber. I haven't got a pair myself but I'm tempted to craft one and try it out in both shaman and druid. I think it could be pretty hot in ramp control. And shaman it just seems like a pretty good fit.

I'm leaning more towards ramp control since I can grove tender turn 3, bomb lobber turn 4. Seems pretty good.

Triz

Just fought a priest vs priest battle. He threw down malygos and smiled my face for 7. The play before that mind blasted me for 10. I thought steal and stole voljin and smite. The epic combo to take 12 health off his malygos and kill it with smite. Epic moment.

Strider

Just fought a priest vs priest battle. He threw down malygos and smiled my face for 7. The play before that mind blasted me for 10. I thought steal and stole voljin and smite. The epic combo to take 12 health off his malygos and kill it with smite. Epic moment.

sogood.gif

I would love to get Voljin. My most wanted legendary at the moment as I've had a lot of fun playing Priest
poorly
lately.

I mostly play hunter but have a priest class too

What hunter cards should I craft? I can get up to 400 in arcane dust, what would you guys recommend? Or should I purchase some priest cards?

Strider

I mostly play hunter but have a priest class too

What hunter cards should I craft? I can get up to 400 in arcane dust, what would you guys recommend? Or should I purchase some priest cards?

I can't remember what cards you get as starter and which ones you need to craft. But the most important ones off the top of my head are...

Unleash the Hounds
Animal Companion
Eaglehorn Bow
Webspinner
Savannah Highmane
Kill Command

Then for secrets Explosive, Freezing and Snakes.

Then there are good neutrals that go well in Hunter decks such as Mad Scientist and Undertaker. So if you don't have Naxx yet get it when you can. Some good cards there for hunters.

Raxus

Allow me to help out Stride

Naxx Set:
Sludge Belcher
Webspinner
Mad Scientist
Undertaker
Haunted Creeper

Regular Set:

Savannah Highmane (Rare)
Explosive Trap (Common)
Freezing Trap (Common)
Eaglehorn Bow (Rare)
Unleash the Hounds (Common)
Cult Master (Common)
Ironbeak Owl (Common)

Given Set (Lvl 10 Hunter)
Kill Command
Houndmaster
Animal Companion
Hunter's Mark

It is remarkably easy to build a decent hunter deck even after the buzzard nerf. There is a big library of Neutrals to use as well to improve the deck. It is still one of the cheapest deck to make.

Priest on the other hand is more difficult since it relies heavily on several epic or higher cards to thrive.

^ What's a non-cheap, challenging but fun character then?

I want to use the cheap hunter to get far, but then play something more challenging if it's considered too easy

Do you think there should be more nerfs for Hunter? What should it be?

Raxus

I want to use the cheap hunter to get far, but then play something more challenging if it's considered too easy

Challenging but fun to play depends on you :p

Pick a class and run with it. See what play style suits you the best.

I am partial to Priest, Warrior, and Druid. (DO NOT PLAY WARRIOR UNTIL YOU PAY TO WIN)

Hunter is nice but I get my ass kicked a lot anyway

Would like to get those better cards to increase my advantage

But playing aggressive is okay, the classes like Priest feel more fun.

Dahbomb

How can they add new characters that are distinguished/special enough considering that the 9 existing characters all seem to be pretty unique? Is there discussion on what people want to see?

I'm just curious as to what people are expecting/planning in their head :)
1) Dr Doom is way too good of a 7 drop when you just look at the stats. Even if the minions he summoned did nothing it would still be a 7/7 with 2 1/1 drops which is pretty good by itself. Then you add the fact that:

*The Bombs he drops are considered mechs so they have mech synergy (means Doom gets played in mech decks)
*The Bombs have an annoying RNG based deathrattle that helps you clear out smaller minions.

Dr Doom is a card that even though gets killed by BGH can still kill BGH and at times still have a 1/1 on the board.

It's the best 7 drop in the game and gets played in 90% of the decks that I have seen online. It will get nerfed to 8 drop almost guaranteed. It's not going to get changed from a 7/7 to a 6/6 because that would actually be a BUFF for him (he would dodge BGH). Another good change would be that the bomb explosions do less maximum damage because if those bombs hit for 4 that is just simply unfair.

2) Warcraft has many characters and abilities so there is no lack of stuff they can add to the game if they wanted in terms of classes.

3) New mechanics will definitely be added, they added new mechanics with Naxx and a ton of new mechanics with GvG. Like for example they added the on draw mechanic like the Flame Leviathan which deals damage as soon as it draws.

As far as what mechanics they can add, they can just look at other TCGs to get an idea:

*I would love to have cards that allow you to see other person's hands or even discard a card by choice from it. This is definitely something I miss from other card games.

*Some sort of resurrection card that summons your creature that died (randomly).

*Magic cards that have a lingering effect on the battlefield (like Sword of Justice but not a weapon).

etc.

As far as tier lists go here is my opinion for constructed:

Top Tier:

Warlock (has 3 decks that are strong)
Warrior (control warrior is strong against a lot of stuff but loses hard to Mill)
Druid Mill (beats all the control, kinda loses to aggro and combo decks) and Druid Combo
Mage Mech

Mid Tier:

Paladin
Priest
Hunter

Low tier

Rogue
Shaman

For Arena it's pretty simple... it's Mage #1 by a mile then Paladin and then Priest. Mage beats Paladin, Paladin beats Priest and Priest beats Mage. The new cards that Priest got are really good for Arena and fill some nice holes in their play. If they can survive the early game rush they can usually win in Arena.

I would put Shaman as 4th, then maybe Hunter or Warrior.

Do you think there should be more nerfs for Hunter? What should it be?
Mage and Hunter are easiest to play. Face Warrior is also pretty easy to play. Warlock Zoo is also not that hard to play but the added risk of Tapping for cards makes him a bit harder to play (plus knowing when to use his cards that discard). Paladin is also decent to play.

Hard classes are Rogue, Druid and Priest. Very combo heavy, have lots of choices to make and usually use unorthodox playstyles.

The rule of thumb is that aggro decks are easy to play and control decks are harder to play. Aggro decks you basically play cards on their curve and then go for face (or the occasional monster kills on the boards if it threatens you in a meaningful way). With control decks you have to be a lot more patient and have to think a few turns ahead and be wary of what they could have. With aggro decks it usually doesn't matter if you think they have an answer to your board, it's not like you are going to stop pumping damage on the board.

Even a control Hunter or a control Mage ends up being hard to play if you use that deck. Not to say that aggro decks are brain dead, they certainly require skill and some choices need to be made but some of the matches they win it's just completely roll where as almost all control vs control matches have moves where you need to make a lot of choices.

Raxus

I would list

top:
warrior
warlock
hunter

bottom:
everything else

I think it is important to rank mid tiers as well seeing as priest got a ton of good cards this expansion but they don't have the reliability or survivability of warriors quite yet.

Paladin has near top tier builds but has some horrid matchups still (namely handlock)

Dahbomb

My opinion of Priest is the same as it always has been. If you know the type of deck the other guy is going to play then they are the best at developing a specific counter deck and will always win (ie. against control they will win if they make a deck for it). However their decks generally lack the versatility of other decks and they will lose to something that their deck isn't equipped to handle. They have a lot of situational cards

Which is why I place them in Mid tier for constructed. They have certainly gotten better and IMO they are top 3 Arena class.

Oh and in my list for constructed it wasn't in order. I would actually rank Hunter as top 5 even if they are in mid tier.

I think it is important to rank mid tiers as well seeing as priest got a ton of good cards this expansion but they don't have the reliability or survivability of warriors quite yet.

Paladin has near top tier builds but has some horrid matchups still (namely handlock)

I don't think the rest are spread out enough from each other to really bother. And its possible that hunter doesn't belong where its at.

Kettch

Man, I finally get to play Paladin for the first time in my last 20 or so arenas. I'm now 5-2 with a loss to a mage who triple fireballed me down from 18 and a warlock who double darkbomb/soulfired me down. Drafted quite a bit of healing, but apparently not enough. :/

I am weak. Caved and spent far more than I should have (should have being nothing) on packs. Cracked a Malygos, which is alright, but not what I was looking for. Dusted him, Bolvar, and some other stuff for Sylvannas and Jaraxxus.

Thought about making a Grom or Alexstraza, but Warrior really needs more than what I currently have still to be really competitive (though Grom is very key). Considered Dr. Boom, but Sylvannas fills a better niche for me right now. Very close though.

Really enjoy reading people post their tier lists, even if the top tier classes aren't the least bit surprising.. Also makes me sad because my favorite class is Shaman lol. Seems like Shaman has always been kind of middling ever since I started playing.

Man I'm far behind, I kept telling myself once they released it on mobile I would play more. Which they now have sort of, had to use the workaround for android phones but it runs amazing on my Galaxy note 3. I snagged Illidan in the free android pack I got. Won 6 rounds in arena, then beat the first wing of Nax and the challenges. I have alot to do to get the cards needed for a capable deck...

Szadek

Really enjoy reading people post their tier lists, even if the top tier classes aren't the least bit surprising.. Also makes me sad because my favorite class is Shaman lol. Seems like Shaman has always been kind of middling ever since I started playing.
Even Shaman is playable all the way to legend.
A player even made it to #1 in europe with a Shaman deck.
Although,you absolutely need both class legendaries and Dr Boom if you want a decent deck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
As you should. Apart from certain exceptions Class legendaries always take low low low low priority compared to neutrals.

Yeah, but complaining about Bolvar is like complaining about Cenarius or Antonidas or something.

Bolvar is not top tier but he's a much better card than people initially gave him credit for.

Even Shaman is playable all the way to legend.
A player even made it to #1 in europe with a Shaman deck.
Although,you absolutely need both class legendaries and Dr Boom if you want a decent deck.

I have Dr. Boom at least!

I am sitting on like 2400 dust though. Been considering crafting Al'Akir but I'm also missing stuff like Cairne, The Black Knight, Thalnos and Ysera (is she even good anymore?) so I'm having a tough time deciding what to make.

I am sitting on like 2400 dust though. Been considering crafting Al'Akir but I'm also missing stuff like Cairne, The Black Knight, Thalnos and Ysera (is she even good anymore?) so I'm having a tough time deciding what to make.

Cairne and Ysera are pretty slow. I wouldn't craft them over Thalnos if you're running Shaman as your main. TBK is situationally useful depending on the meta. I'm not sure if he's in style right now; I don't run TBK personally and seem to do OK.

ViviOggi

Do not craft Cairne, he's been completely worthless since Naxx. 6 mana 4 attack just doesn't fly against all the 5 HP 5-drops. Ysera is alright but I wouldn't make her a priority, she tends to be too slow to warrant a slot in most decks right now.

Also played against Priest both are inviting one of the most disgusting swing plays in the game.

In terms of tech legendaries Harrison is what you'll want right now, gets much more value than TBK on average. Both constantly fall in and out of the meta though.

Thanks for the advice guys. I already have Harrison, thankfully, but judging by what you're saying, maybe I should prioritize Thalnos?

Which class legendary is preferable for Shaman right now? I know Al'Akir is kind of a mainstay in most Shaman decks but I'm not exactly sure how good Neptulon is. I think I've only ever seen him played once since I started playing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom