• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

embalm

Welp, lost all my Arena games again.

One more time:

Warlock
Warrior
Druid

Lol.

So, Druid or Warrior?
Don't be too discouraged by this. There is a lot to learn before you'll be able to go deep into arena.

Make sure you try to get every class to lvl 10 or even 20. That way you get a chance to see what they have to offer.

Arena will be tough until you know when board clears come up for each class and test for them before over extending yourself. Learning about each classes removal spells and experiencing their best cards in the worst situations. This only comes from experience.

There are some cards you'll likely only see in arena. Browse all the cards in the game also. Go to Crafting mode and take a look at what's there. It can be helpful to just have some familiarity with it. The first time I saw an Ancient Watcher was in arena and when buffed it into a taunt it blew my mind.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The only way I could see running Leviathan is if you have almost no creatures, find yourself in frequent need of a zero mana 2 damage board clear, and need a 7/7 finisher that will probably get killed the turn it comes out due to all the removal the opponent would still have.

I guess it's not impossible to build that deck, but I feel it isn't exactly ideal compared to just playing a Dr. Boom.
Solution, just run both!

Do you guys think a 0/1 taunt with the card text "Death Rattle: At the start of your turn, revive this minion" would be a good card? Or is there already a card that does that?

Don't be too discouraged by this. There is a lot to learn before you'll be able to go deep into arena.

Make sure you try to get every class to lvl 10 or even 20. That way you get a chance to see what they have to offer.

Arena will be tough until you know when board clears come up for each class and test for them before over extending yourself. Learning about each classes removal spells and experiencing their best cards in the worst situations. This only comes from experience.

There are some cards you'll likely only see in arena. Browse all the cards in the game also. Go to Crafting mode and take a look at what's there. It can be helpful to just have some familiarity with it. The first time I saw an Ancient Watcher was in arena and when buffed it into a taunt it blew my mind.

Thanks for the advice.

I've done a lot of this already, but will probably choose Druid this time for Arena and practice with it

Dreavus

Solution, just run both!

Do you guys think a 0/1 taunt with the card text "Death Rattle: At the start of your taunt, revive this minion" would be a good card? Or is there already a card that does that?

Seems like it could be pretty good damage mitigation in the right circumstance. It wouldn't be so good if they have a little guy to bust it down before they attack, or if they're a mage/druid, but otherwise it could be kind of annoying.

What mana cost were you thinking?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seems like it could be pretty good damage mitigation in the right circumstance. It wouldn't be so good if they have a little guy to bust it down before they attack, or if they're a mage/druid, but otherwise it could be kind of annoying.

Well if they're a Mage or Druid they have to spend 2 mana every single turn to be able to attack anything else on the board or hit the face.

Dreavus

Well if they're a Mage or Druid they have to spend 2 mana every single turn to be able to attack anything else on the board or hit the face.

Yeah, that's why I think the cost is important. Depending on when it comes down the incremental advantage could be pretty unstoppable.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I was thinking 2 or 3. Maybe add something like you take 1 damage upon revive.

Vitanimus

wowee I am terrible at arena, I only got 1 win with a rogue :(

on the bright side, I've been dipping my feet into ranked matches and had a nice 7 win streak so that was nice! I've also now convinced my friend to play and he's also now lost down the rabbit hole that is hearthstone

Solution, just run both!

Do you guys think a 0/1 taunt with the card text "Death Rattle: At the start of your turn, revive this minion" would be a good card? Or is there already a card that does that?

I think a legendary that's "0/1. Taunt. Deathrattle: Revive a random minion" is probably more in line with Blizzard's design scheme. I think both "revive self" and "revive other" are too powerful.

JesseZao

Biggest problem with running hearthstone on your phone:

If somebody calls you, you get dcd. :(

Really hope the actual phone client is able to run in the background.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How about 2 mana, 0/1 normal card, battle cry deal 1-2 damage to hero, death rattle 'At the start of your turn, revive this minion'

Maybe call it ghost of the machine, it won't be a mech but it can be a destroyed Annoy-A-Tron

gutshot

That sounds horribly broken. I mean, imagine it as a spell: "For the duration of this game, the first time each turn your hero or minions take direct damage, ignore it." That would be an auto-include in every deck.

Only way I could see a minion like that being balanced is if it read: "Deathrattle: Return this minion to your hand and add 1 to its mana cost." This way you could play it early and continue to play it throughout the game but you would be sacrificing a lot of tempo.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
EDIT: Oh, it has 0 attack. Not sure who would want to play it, except Zoolock.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Even with 0 attack that would be ridonkulous in any control deck, stall of the century. You'd force every deck to run 2 silences. Dumb idea.

ZealousD

Is Sludge Belcher like the most value card in the game?

Its Tirion. It's a 7 mana card and a 6 mana card put together for only 8 mana. It's insane. The only thing that even remotely makes him balanced is the fact that polymorph and hex are things that exist. Even with silence and black knight you still get a huge threat. If you can't hard remove or silence him he is stupid out of control.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, how about this.

1 mana, 0/1 taunt, battle cry is "Deal damage to hero equal to mana spent", death rattle is "Return this card to your hand, it costs 1 mana more. Oh, and it's a mech now.

ViviOggi

How about 2 mana, 0/1 normal card, battle cry deal 1-2 damage to hero, death rattle 'At the start of your turn, revive this minion'

Maybe call it ghost of the machine, it won't be a mech but it can be a destroyed Annoy-A-Tron
Be careful with this kind of stuff, we have Blizzard devs here

If the madman who created Undertaker reads this it's all ogre

Haly

Would legit run a Warlock deck made of 15 Undertakers and 15 of DrKirby's new card.

I like my friend's mill druid that he has been running well before the recent mill hype.

It is a bit less fatigue focused but does win match ups through fatigue when appropriate.

It runs the mills cards:
naturalize
grove tender
cold light oracle

Not sure about any panda bouncing.

But also runs real threats like:
clockwork giant
sapper goblin

I watched him dominate a couple control decks, like freeze mage and handlock a couple times. I also prefer a more interactive deck like his is. But I am also guessing his deck loses to aggro harder than the heal heavy one does.

Could someone explain what makes Dr boom so good? Why is it so highly valued?

Most single cards in the game have a way to deal with it effectively with one other single card in the game. Ragnaros has BGH, ysera has mind control or hard removal, cairne has silence, sylvanas has silence... almost all other single cards can be dealt with by a single card or silence. Dr. Boom suffers from none of those. If you BGH, he still has the 2 boom bots which can devastate board presence or hit for a lot of damage on face. Silence does almost nothing. He isn't weak to AOE (except lightbomb) and damage removal is hard to come by hitting for 7.

This game is a lot about resources and if you play something that takes from you as a result of him being played (between removing him or minions dying to him), then you're falling far behind. Dr. Boom brings a lot of threats to the table that are difficult to deal with effectively.

Haly

Could someone explain what makes Dr boom so good? Why is it so highly valued?

Well...

- It's 9/9 worth of stats on the board for 7 mana.
- 7 mana means it come out faster than other Legendary win cons like Ragnaros, and Ysera.
- It being split up into 3 parts, the main Dr. Boom body and 2 Boom Bots, makes it resistant to single target removal, or silence, or morph effects
- It's difficult to trade against the Boom Bots safely because of their unpredictable Deathrattle effect.
- You can't employ AoE against the bots without a lot of risk as well

In sum, Dr Boom is a relatively cheap win con with a high degree of staying power and is also resistant to all forms of removal. It is not simply value, but game winning amounts of value.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday i faced a dude with a deck full of 1 attack minions, i was what the fuck?! Then he played Hobgoblin and it all made sense, it was a poorly thought idea so i ended up winning easily.

So I guess all the zoo players went to mech mage? Pretty crazy... I haven't seen zoo much for like a week. I'm imagining a whole lot of players having a very difficult time adapting to a new deck...

oh I'm just kidding its just zoo, zoo mech mage
Dead_Face_by_Krasus.jpg

ZealousD

I think I had a Trolden-worth game tonight. I was playing Control Warrior against a Priest. The game started out super Resident Sleeper, because literally no cards were played until Turn 5, when I coined out a Shieldmaiden.

Anyway, I think it gets to Turn 10 or so and the priest throws out a wild pyro, gifting it to the 1 charge fiery war axe I had. I decide to hedge my bets and instead of using the axe I throw down an unstable ghoul and 2 acolytes. Now I know full well that if I put down just one that he's probably going to use cabal on it, so I throw down two. Especially with the wild pyro I can guess that he could even shadow madness and draw some cards or something but whatever he's already got like 7 cards and I think I was down to 4-5 or something? I just wanted cards.

Anyway, it might have been a risky play but then the priest screwed up real bad. He really wanted to punish me for using the acolytes, so first he uses cabal, THEN he uses shadow madness. he draws like 2 cards, then uses circle of healing, and now he's actually starting to burn his own cards! Couple trades later with the pyro and the ghoul and I finish off his 1/1 acolyte when I get back my own 1/1 acolyte and I think he's burned like 6 of his own cards.

I think this might become a thing guys. Mill Warrior to counter priest, go double acolyte to mill them. =D

Maximo

I like my friend's mill druid that he has been running well before the recent mill hype.

It is a bit less fatigue focused but does win match ups through fatigue when appropriate.

It runs the mills cards:
naturalize
grove tender
cold light oracle

Not sure about any panda bouncing.

But also runs real threats like:
clockwork giant
sapper goblin

I watched him dominate a couple control decks, like freeze mage and handlock a couple times. I also prefer a more interactive deck like his is. But I am also guessing his deck loses to aggro harder than the heal heavy one does.

Interesting might give it a go if don't have many legendarys so I tend to play odd or cheap decks I'm definitely loving Mill Druid and Fatigue Mage they are such strange decks and IMO more fun then running something like zoo. I'll give your friends deck a tey and see how it goes.

ZealousD

I still want Hakkar in the game. Like a 5 mana 5/5 that has a battlecry of spreading corrupted blood. It's like a debuff that spreads to adjacent minions and does 1 damage after each turn. Kind of like a mini Baron Geddon that has a persistent effect even after Hakkar dies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It wasn't mentioned but if they did make that 0/1 deathrattle that keeps getting resummoned I would play baron with that for ultimate annoyance. I'm pretty sure it would retrigger undertaker each time it came back as well, lol.

Interesting might give it a go if don't have many legendarys so I tend to play odd or cheap decks I'm definitely loving Mill Druid and Fatigue Mage they are such strange decks and IMO more fun then running something like zoo. I'll give your friends deck a tey and see how it goes.

I don't have the entire list so you're going to have to fill in a lot of blanks. I believe he also runs these but I am not sure if it has changed much since I last played him

Twilight drake
deathlord
mountain giant
dancing swords

Things were going so well until I faced 3 mages in a row as a paladin (you know, the class that only completely negates my hero power). Thanks arena. 1-3 the dream.

ZealousD

bad manners

Sarcastic/excessive emoting, playing more cards than necessary for lethal, taking too long on your turns, etc.

The ironing is delicious.

It's obvious he watches forsen's stream with the "role playing" comment and yet he complains about BM, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom