• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Adrianne made it to rank 20. Not sure if she's getting better or she brute forced her way to it since you can't lose stars before that. I saw her flamecannon a 1/1 a few days ago while playing as mage.

Well she just frostbolted a clockwork gnome on Turn 2. I think she brute forced her way through.

Also she's knighting all of her new subs right now, lol

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't believe i bought 40 packs and only got a leroy :/ Fucking RNG. I did get two faceless manipulator and i gotta say that card is pretty damn strong when used correctly, i mostly used it to copy the opponent's legendary cards.

Brofist

Damn, someone just destroyed me with what seemed like an all murloc deck. I want to build that.

What class? Murloc decks aren't new, but not common anymore. I'd like to play one but I can't seem to build one that doesn't get overwhelmed by zoo and mech type decks.

Also Neptulon seems like a strange card in a murloc deck to me. If you are getting to turn 7 and having to play him it seems like your deck isn't doing the job intended.

The Adder

Banned
I pulled Illidan from 2 packs back to back.

On the bright side

MalumMachinum2_zps6437b193.png

He's doing work in the new version of my Malum Machina deck

It's proven really messy to play against. It's got removal for days and there's only a single demon Voidcaller can summon that it doesn't want to now. And even then it's not a TERRIBLE outcome.

Someone made the mistake of using the spare part that switches Attack and Health on my Voidcaller while Mal'Ganis was out and now I've got a new strategy.

Brofist

The addition of GvG just made arena so much more of an RNG-fest. It's stupid.

And of course I haven't gotten mage in like the past 5 runs+.

My main problem is that games are decided in the first 2 or 3 turns. The reason mage is so successful in arena is that it's one of the only classes that can take back a game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The addition of GvG just made arena so much more of an RNG-fest. It's stupid.

And of course I haven't gotten mage in like the past 5 runs+.

I've noticed WAAAY more Mage/Paladin fights which is getting old. I'll frequently have my first 3 games all against a mage lately.

Shielded minibot is the most annoying motherfucker to deal with.

My main problem is that games are decided in the first 2 or 3 turns. The reason mage is so successful in arena is that it's one of the only classes that can take back a game.

Pretty much. Flamestrike is GG.

Just went 1-3 with Paladin (0 weapons, 0 consecrates offered) after going 8-3 with a Shaman that had 3 Fire Elementals. Pre-GvG I could easily get a consistent 5+ wins at worst about. Now I just swing wildly from one end of the spectrum to the other, and there's usually some bullshit top-decking involved on either side.

I wonder if Dunemaul Shaman will ever see any real play.

I've seen some people run Ogre Brute with varying degrees of success but maybe the cost on Dunemaul is just too high considering the overload. Regardless, maybe I'll mess around with it and see how it does.

johnsmith

remember me
Dunemaul sucks. He's overcosted because of windfury, which is a pretty shit ability unless you're going face. With his hit the wrong enemy drawback he would have been fine as a 4 with no overload. They should have made him a 5/5 at least with his current cost.

Dunemaul sucks. He's overcosted because of windfury, which is a pretty shit ability unless you're going face. With his hit the wrong enemy drawback he would have been fine as a 4 with no overload. They should have made him a 5/5 at least with his current cost.

Windfury is more expensive the higher attack is. Right now dunemaul is basically a harpy which costs 6 man for 4 mana plus 1 overload and the 50% chance to miss. Windfury basically doubles the attack of a minion right? So doubling 3 is not as strong as doubling 5. So doubling 5 means it costs more to do. Its like charge costing more the higher the attack. Same with stealth. Stranglethorn tiger vs the ravenholdt assassin. Assassin has 2 less stats than vanilla while tiger has vanilla stats.

So dunemaul has 5 windfury, harpy has 4 windfury, zappomatic has 3 windfury, alakir has 3 windfury (but also charge + taunt + DS so hard to compare)... Dunemaul has the highest attack for a windfury minion. For 4 mana, he needs some significant set backs.

I haven't seen him in constructed, but in arena he has more than carried his weight by helping finish out matches before an opponent could recover. You really just need minions and spells to help clear the way to tons of damage.

johnsmith

remember me
It's a win more card. He's only good if you're ahead on board and can keep the board clear so you can go face. Like I said, windfury is garbage on most minions, because your'e overpaying on an ability that you might not even get the chance to use, because at 4 health the dunemaul is just too easy to kill.

Al'akir is playable because he's got charge and divine shield, zapomatic is playable because they didn't overcharge for him to have windfury.

Brofist

I was messing around with some joke type decks, using normally unused cards. It's funny how little respect most players have for Nat Pagle. It was drawing 2-3 cards every games, before people were finally removing it.

I was messing around with some joke type decks, using normally unused cards. It's funny how little respect most players have for Nat Pagle. It was drawing 2-3 cards every games, before people were finally removing it.

The thing about nat pagle is that it is often correct to not remove it. This is because spending removal on it costs a card, it actually doesn't threaten you on its own in any way, establishing board control is more important than stopping you from having a 50% chance to draw a card. And so you try to remove it for free basically... well costing you only face damage. If you spend valuable removal, you might not be able to answer the next real threat.

As a priority to remove, it is often just like... slightly before hitting face with a minion most of the time.

People probably remember how to deal with nat pagle from back in the day when he was played in most decks and they are probably still playing against him correctly, even though he might be getting you some pretty good value. Or heck, maybe they're baddies and they're playing all wrong regardless.

Ashodin

Yeah I think Windfury is something that's wrong with Shaman in general. They have an ability that's pretty much useless. In comparison, Divine Shield is really useful and annoying to get through on Paladin.

The Adder

Banned
Yeah I think Windfury is something that's wrong with Shaman in general. They have an ability that's pretty much useless. In comparison, Divine Shield is really useful and annoying to get through on Paladin.

Windfury isn't "useless" so much as it is "too good to be put on a a good card."

johnsmith

remember me
10-0 with my current druid deck, despite only having 1 swipe and 1 wrath, and a lot of mediocre cards like 2 frostwolf warlords. If I don't get 12 wins with this I'm going to be a sad panda. 2 Ironbarks though. Dropping those when you have the board is GG.

12-1, damn it so close. Got wrecked by a warlock with a crazy deck at 11. 500 gold, that's definitely a record for me. I've gotten 12 wins a ton of times, but I really wanted a 12-0, I've never done that that I can remember.
llV3HPp.png

Dahbomb

Mech Mage with Flamestrikes and other late game cards like Sneeds, Archmage Antonidas and Dr Doom plus Ice Block is really fucking lame. I almost lost a game today to a pseudo Mech Mage like that... I totally did not expect the Flamestrike because most Mech Mages don't run it. He even ran fucking Ice Block (actually it was the Ice Block that fucked me over, I thought he had Duplicate in there because that actually makes sense in a Mech Mage deck).

I guess the Mech Mage meta has changed because they realized that people have started using more anti aggro cards and thus they need some more late game insurance. Not really sure what a Mech Mage really needs aside from Archmage in the late game.

i retract my previous comment about summoning portal. I think my problem was at the time i was trying to make a deck with it, i didnt have any good high cost creatures. its definitely not a very good card if the best you can get out of it is a 4 mana boulderfist, under the most ideal circumstances.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So I just got triple windfury Enhance-o-Mechano + Fireball into death for exact lethal. The chances of that happening are so slim, like I don't even know. Pretty much any other way he was dead next turn.

1/27 for you to get triple Windfury it from Enhance (Assuming you only had 3 creatures on the board).

Dahbomb

i retract my previous comment about summoning portal. I think my problem was at the time i was trying to make a deck with it, i didnt have any good high cost creatures. its definitely not a very good card if the best you can get out of it is a 4 mana boulderfist, under the most ideal circumstances.
Since when is getting out a Bounderfist at turn 4 not good?

Summoning Portal is god damn broken in Arena. In Constructed, whatever Summoning Portal spits out can be countered but in Arena it's very possible that Summoning Portal can get you an insane card that you can drop early and have great advantage in the match.

Summoning Portal basically has to spit out a minion that is more than 2 cost for it to bring value and the chances of getting that is very good. Think about just a basic example... you coin out Summoning Portal on first turn and you get a 4 drop like Yeti. You drop it next turn and you basically have insane advantage already.

The worst is Summoning Portal played as a hail mary and it happens to deliver a card that is game winning. Rage will ensue when it happens to you.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just had a priest use Shadow Word: Death on my Undertaker while going for a hunter quest.

I wonder what went through his mind while he did that.

like i said that only ever happened under totally ideal circumstances

that means, going second, drawing the boulderfist at the right time, having some semblance of board control through turn four when your turn 3 is a fuckin 0/4, which also somehow didnt get removed by other means,

more frequently you get the boulderfist out later in the game, merely for a discount, and it isn't a huge game changer. but now i have legendaries and some giants, and floating watcher is very good, and so on and so forth.

So I just got wrecked by this ridiculous play. Coin, Sword of Justice. Muster (buffs all the 1/1s for whatever fucking reason). Quartermaster.

1/27 for you to get triple Windfury it from Enhance (Assuming you only had 3 creatures on the board).

It was the other guy that did it to me. And yeah, he had 3 creatures on board, though one was frozen. I don't know how that affects the odds of it being exact lethal, but either way it was a really low chance play.

johnsmith

remember me

Summoning Portal is god damn broken in Arena. In Constructed, whatever Summoning Portal spits out can be countered but in Arena it's very possible that Summoning Portal can get you an insane card that you can drop early and have great advantage in the match.

Summoning Portal basically has to spit out a minion that is more than 2 cost for it to bring value and the chances of getting that is very good. Think about just a basic example... you coin out Summoning Portal on first turn and you get a 4 drop like Yeti. You drop it next turn and you basically have insane advantage already.

The worst is Summoning Portal played as a hail mary and it happens to deliver a card that is game winning. Rage will ensue when it happens to you.
I think you have summoning portal and unstable portal confused.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Thanks Gallywix!

Hearthstone_Screenshot_1.15.2015.02.43.10.jpg

The other guy actually rage quited even. Game was looking pretty bad for me, him playing Gallywix actually allowed me to turn what would have been a weak desperation play into an easy win, I had shit in my hand, Archmarge guy, Flamestrike, a Spider Tank, and some spare parts.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Muster for Battle is too strong

Especially in combination with Quartermaster. Pretty much the only thing that counters that much tempo is a flamestrike.

They really are great cards, I love them. The Quatermaster/Muster is a hard combo to pull off though. What I find to be much easier to pull off is Avenge with Muster, normally you can play Avenge on an earlier turn too.

Dahbomb

Fuck me, I thought you were talking about Unstable Portal for some reason. It's late at night and I am sleepy as hell.

My apologies. Summoning Portal is indeed not a very good card (definitely not as good as Unstable Portal).

ViviOggi

Just got Deathwinged in game 1 of arena. Yup, that's cool.

Oh and another round where mage wasn't a choice, always fun.
At least he didn't play a Sneeds next turn

Actually I've had more success with Warlock, Druid and Paladin lately. Somehow my Mage drafts were always hugely lacking either in curve, Fireballs or early removal while I was able to get decent synergy with the other classes. Like, it's Mage city beyond 5 wins because the average arena player is terrible and can only get that far with broken decks which Mage is the most consistent at, but you don't need to be a Mage to beat Mages.

Just got Deathwinged in game 1 of arena. Yup, that's cool.

Oh and another round where mage wasn't a choice, always fun.

In my experience game 1 in Arena can often be pretty hard, since I assume it matches you with someone else that's just started theirs at 0-0, so you can have a deck/player of any quality. Matches become more predictable once you've lost a few, since you aren't theoretically being matched against decks that are on their way to 12-0s.

Usually my arena runs go L - W - W - ... - W - L - L

Raxus

Antique healbot + Return friendly minion to hand spare parts is such hax. Easy 16 - 24 hero hp points back in late game.

For the low low price of 11-16 mana too and no board presence!

Antique healbot did indeed make stall and controls more viable but they aren't perfect.

Soo I have 790 coins right now (never paid a cent on the game, just haven't bought a pack in a while). Should I buy packs/practice arena with it or pay the 700 for "Plague Quarter"?

Raxus

Soo I have 790 coins right now (never paid a cent on the game, just haven't bought a pack in a while). Should I buy packs/practice arena with it or pay the 700 for "Plague Quarter"?

Do you intend to ever spend money on the game? If not then start buying Naxx since it gets you some universally good cards.

If you don't mind then spring for the entire naxx expansion (it is worth it) and get some GvG packs.

Am I the only one tempted to play Foe Reaper 9000?

Every time I look at him I want to fit him in a deck but can never justify it.

It's much more efficient to just buy Naxx with real money and save your gold for arena/packs. Naxx has some really key cards too if you don't have it at all yet.

I ended up buying Naxx all with gold and I kind of regret it at this point, given that it would have been equivent to spending $20 to get 28 packs (if I calculated that correctly).

Thanks Gallywix!

Hearthstone_Screenshot_1.15.2015.02.43.10.jpg

The other guy actually rage quited even. Game was looking pretty bad for me, him playing Gallywix actually allowed me to turn what would have been a weak desperation play into an easy win, I had shit in my hand, Archmarge guy, Flamestrike, a Spider Tank, and some spare parts.

What am i missing? Looks like an easy win for him, with you having 1 mana and nothing on the board

Thanks a lot for the replies :) Guess I'll just keep collecting gold until I make a final decision, but yeah I suppose purchasing it seems like the best bet. I just hate to pay money on a f2p game, I have played hundreds of hours of LoL and ~50 of Hearthstone without ever paying anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom