• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an idea...

A minion with Stealth AND Windfury!
Rarely you'll see a Shaman run a Shade of Naxx burst deck. For the most part they try to get it out early, give it Winfury, then Faceless it. Don't see it often, so I can't imagine it working out to well. Saw a Warrior try it out too since they can use Charge on the Shade before the Faceless.

west

What am i missing? Looks like an easy win for him, with you having 1 mana and nothing on the board

I'm not super familliar with Gallywix, but I guess using the coin would give him a new coin -> repeat forever.

Edit: nevermind, the Gallywix coin is a separate card that does not trigger Gallywix

gutshot

I'm not super familliar with Gallywix, but I guess using the coin would give him a new coin -> repeat forever.

Edit: nevermind, the Gallywix coin is a separate card that does not trigger Gallywix

You get a coin every time you cast a spell, so he has lethal with Fireball + Fireball + Coin, Coin + Fireball.

JohnCYQ

Antique healbot + Return friendly minion to hand spare parts is such hax. Easy 16 - 24 hero hp points back in late game.

I just had a game where I made a huge comeback against a mage thanks to this.

Turn 9, I play doctor boom with another minion on the board, the mage responded with Antonaidas and frostbolted the dr boom (I was at 13 hp by this point).

Turn 10 I dropped Malganis and ended the turn. Mage decides to Fireball+ping Malganis and Fireballed Dr Boom, leaving me with 1x Zombie Chow, 2x Boom Bots on the field and at 13 hp still. I had drawn Dark Bomb earlier.

Turn 11, I top decked Healbot. Suicided one Boom Bot into Antonaidas, bomb landed on him and hit for 3 (Antonaidas at 3 hp now). Dark Bomb for the kill on Antonaidas. Earlier on I got the rewind spare part from a the mage's Mechanical Yeti. I play Healbot, rewind and hit face with Chow/Boom Bot.

Next turn the mage plays his second Arcane Intellect and then plays unstable portal, getting...Leeroy from the draw, plays the leeroy, attacks+ping face and uses the stealth spare part. I was back down to 14 hp or so.

Turn 12, I topdeck my second shadowflame, used it on my zombie chow to clear the Leeroy and played Healbot again. The mage had Duplicate up and gets another 2 Leeroy (on top of having one remaining fireball from Antonaidas).

Turn 13, I topdeck my second Belcher and managed to drop the mage to 10~ Hp or so. By this point I had like 21 HP or so and the mage conceded.

That was about the only comeback I could think of against a mech mage, especially since he was pretty much ahead throughout the game (mechwarpered + double blastmage consecutively, getting me down to 13 hp by turn 9). It was pretty brutal.

but it seems like he only had one mana on the current turn, and his oponnent had lethal next turn with all those minions.

In the picture, it's currently the Rogue's turn. He played Dr. Boom and can only attack with Gallywix, Violet Teacher, and the apprentice. When Drkirby takes his next turn, he can fire off three Fireballs for lethal with Gallywix coins.

Druid. I have a few murloc cards, but the other person seemed to have a lot more. Do you get those from regular card packs?
Most Murlocs are from regular packs. Once you get them all from those packs, you get Old Murk Eye for free. You only need one copy of each. With new packs, there are only two new Murlocs, Puddle Stomper and Spirit Caller.

Xanathus

Hahaha, I played control warrior and out-fatigued a mill druid. Mill druid is such a shitty deck to play when your opponent isn't an idiot, you're just as likely to end up milling yourself. Kinda sad that Mill Rogue isn't in vogue, I feel that one actually mills and is more effective.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is HotS good yet? I was somewhat expecting Blizzard to take the term "Technical Alpha" to heart and redo the game play after the initial negative response.

I don't think dice rolls make hearthstone casual. Casual is about accessibility to new players to learn the game. It isn't about how hard or skill based it is.

If you think randomness makes a game casual, then MTG is also casual. But it isn't. In fact, randomness makes a game less casual, not more casual. More random = more difficult to overcome random's impact.

Thanks a lot for the replies :) Guess I'll just keep collecting gold until I make a final decision, but yeah I suppose purchasing it seems like the best bet. I just hate to pay money on a f2p game, I have played hundreds of hours of LoL and ~50 of Hearthstone without ever paying anything
Why? It's not like you are just paying for an aesthetic feature like a skin or something, you are paying for real, playable content. You are paying for the game like I'm sure you've done many other times. I bought 4 of the Naxx wings for $20 and I've bought $60 dollar games that I've put less time into so by that metric it's totally worth it.

Naxx is fun and a nice break from the norm and gets you some really great cards. Each match is a puzzle of sorts and you need to figure out the right deck to make to win.

Foe Reaper

I got completely destroyed.

Didn't have a great answer for it at the time. No MC, no SW:Death, no Shadow Madness to ram things into it, etc. I was helpless.

That's just bad luck, not that Foe Reaper is overpowered. It happened to me once, too, but that doesn't mean that it's broken. It does suck when it happens, though.

So what deck(s) is everyone running in constructed right now? I switched back to a druid similar to Dog's and seem to have gotten out of my rut. The addition of the Zombie Chows really balances it out giving you another early play particularly vs. aggro, and Azure Drakes are an old, but still good card (likely over belcher in this case). No room for Thalnos in the list though. I've been running KT since he's not susceptible to BGH, though I'm not so sure about him. Would likely do Cenarius or Dr. Boom if I had them.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It's much more efficient to just buy Naxx with real money and save your gold for arena/packs. Naxx has some really key cards too if you don't have it at all yet.

I ended up buying Naxx all with gold and I kind of regret it at this point, given that it would have been equivent to spending $20 to get 28 packs (if I calculated that correctly).

I don't get this at all, it seems to me like buying Naxx with gold is more effecient than buying Naxx with real money?

Naxx has 30 cards, or 6 packs worth of cards (5 cards per pack). To buy 6 packs would cost $10 (which actually gets you 7 packs), where Naxx costs $25 with real world money. You could buy 19 card packs with that $25 instead, which would get you 95 cards instead of the 30 that Naxx comes with.

Now to buy all of Naxx with in game gold would cost you 3500 gold (700g per wing). That could be used to buy you 35 card packs, or 175 cards......

Oh.

I think I'm buying the remaining four Naxx wings I need for $19.99 tonight and saving my gold for packs instead!

Yeah it's way, way better to just drop the $20 on Naxx.

I get the stigma about spending money on a F2P game but if you enjoy the game and are going to invest hours upon hours into it then $20 is a small price to pay in my opinion.

Haunted

Now that I've learned that Fel Reaver's discards don't fatigue you to death, it appears to be a much more sensible pickup (It's still bad).

Possibly the most bombastic card in Hearthstone at the moment for spectators if played early. Turns every game into a discardstravaganza.

So what deck(s) is everyone running in constructed right now? I switched back to a druid similar to Dog's and seem to have gotten out of my rut. The addition of the Zombie Chows really balances it out giving you another early play particularly vs. aggro, and Azure Drakes are an old, but still good card (likely over belcher in this case). No room for Thalnos in the list though. I've been running KT since he's not susceptible to BGH, though I'm not so sure about him. Would likely do Cenarius or Dr. Boom if I had them.

the meta has slowed down a bit and there isn't a lot of zoo. so I've been running token druid and a more mid-rangy hunter with Dr Boom, freezing trap and snake trap.

Brian Kibler's hobgoblin token druid variant is pretty fun.

edit: http://bmkgaming.com/goblins-gnooooooomes-playing-hobgoblin-druid-way-legend/

I've been trying to play Priest again but it's not going well. I even netdecked the #1 legend rank NA deck and got my ass handed to me int he mid-low teen ranks. Even if you have your board clear combo by turn 4 you are already at like 15 HP from all the aggro you face and you can't recover. They just flood the board again and you cry. The meta is totally different at high ranks vs. low so I shouldn't be surprised. Feels bad though, man. Maybe I'll remake my deathrattle Priest deck or just play cancer Hunter until I get higher in rank.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mech mage, zoolock (xixo's), a random hunter face deck, control warrior, controgue.

You also have to keep in mind that you're not getting duplicates with Naxx - it's all new cards that you get exactly two copies of (besides the legendaries) and they're some of the most important cards in the game. You're not going to get near that consistency with pure card packs.

My calculation may have been a bit off since I figured most everyone did the first free wing, and it was just in my head quick.

I really only ladder to do dailies, but when I do that I'm rolling:

-Fatigue Mage
-Zoo
-Control Paladin (the classic variety)
-Ramp Druid (with a little mech flavor)
-Midrangey/control Hunter

The Hunter deck is my own creation and I've had great success with it (gone something like 9-1), still a WIP though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So what do you guys think they should do for the next solo adventure mode? I'm thinking they should do something Blackwing, Do both Blackwing Lair and Blackwing Descent. Have Nefarian as a key new legendary. Hes notably absent right now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Finally print enough cards for Kibler to make dragon.dec.

gutshot

I wanna see a Darkmoon Faire solo mode. Could make for some fun and unique single player challenges (deck of all Unstable Portals anyone?).

So what do you guys think they should do for the next solo adventure mode? I'm thinking they should do something Blackwing, Do both Blackwing Lair and Blackwing Descent. Have Nefarian as a key new legendary. Hes notably absent right now.

They should do a deeper adventure mode experience. What I have in mind is similar to the really old MTG battlemage (I think it is called) game. You would start with a deck, collect cards via different methods. Basically have a whole separate deck for the adventure mode itself and an adventure mode card library. They could have unique hero powers and stuff, talents, and a ton of unique things that they'll never add to the MP portion of the game.

edit:
Couple screens

5389-3-magic-the-gathering.jpg
5389-4-magic-the-gathering.jpg

5389-5-magic-the-gathering.jpg

yeah, im finally starting to crawl upwards with that summoning portal deck that i alluded to previously. for like the past month, i had been trying to make a shadowboxer deck work, and it was absolutely going no where. and i was also tinkering with a mech shaman deck, but not getting anywhere with that either.

but i've got a tiny bit of upward momentum with this deck so far.

TKYTNAv.jpg

Raxus

That's assuming you value your time at $0.00

And Blizzard's effort too.

I don't mind paying on F2P games as long as the model isn't made to rob you blind like Dungeon Keeper. Hearthstone is pretty easy to pick up to play without spending a cent but tossing 25ish bucks for the expansion is not only worth it but is very fun content to boot.

Heroes of the Storm on the other hand...has a ways to go.
Hearthstone is play, not work.
If you grind all the time to earn every card then it will certainly feel like work.

yeah, im finally starting to crawl upwards with that summoning portal deck that i alluded to previously. for like the past month, i had been trying to make a shadowboxer deck work, and it was absolutely going no where. and i was also tinkering with a mech shaman deck, but not getting anywhere with that either.

but i've got a tiny bit of upward momentum with this deck so far.

TKYTNAv.jpg

I used to run something similar a long time ago, back when I first started playing, but it wasn't very successful. The idea was to survive into the late game by using spell removal and heals, and then drop both Summoning Portals followed by a flood of minions. For 10 mana, you can put out the Summoning Portals and 4 5 mana minions, and then I'd follow it up with a free Sea Giant. I think Handlock is actually a much better deck, but I still don't have the cards for that.

Lost to 4 mech mages in a row. I swear they were pulling extra cards from under the table or something.

Then play two handlocks and win.

The life of a shaman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom